• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

PaintTinJr

A 13400F is plenty good for a 4070. The real problem with that setup is the slow-ass DDR4 and motherboard.
It is easier to suggest a system than live with it in reality IMHO of building my own systems since the Intel 80286.

Currently all Intel CPUs and mobos are off the menu with the exception of OEM prebuilts because they are cooking themselves, and a 13400F will be a bottleneck on all taxing games that will benefit from a PS5 Pro, so even going with an extra expensive Z chip mobo and non-stock CPU cooler to alleviate that bottleneck with an all core overclock will just be cooking it quicker IMO. And then on the AMD side the performance will be better, but IIRC a CPU entry price is higher, and buying a cooler is needed, and IIRC AMD optimised RAM is more expensive and IIRC AMD mobos for similar shared PCIe bandwidth to support the GPU, NVME have a higher entry price too.

A decent forward looking AMD 8 Core CPU or better with good single and multi core clocks in a PC system to support a RTX 4070 is going to be tight IMO even at £750.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nope, they are tied in raster only performance.
4070S is about 10-12% faster. It's not far stronger but it is stronger.

1080p: Although we didn't review the 1080p results in detail, we did record the data. Here's a quick overview: the 4070 Super was, on average, 10% faster than the 7800 XT and 15% faster than the 4070, while it was just 5% slower than the 4070 Ti.

1440p: Moving up to 1440p, the results are more GPU-limited, giving us a clearer comparison. Here, the 4070 Super is 13% faster than the 7800 XT and 19% faster than the 4070, marking a significant improvement. It was again only slightly slower than the Ti model, trailing by a 6% margin.

4K: However, the 4K resolution remains a challenge for the 4070 Super in its competition with the 7800 XT, as the Radeon GPU performs much better at this higher resolution. As a result, the GeForce GPU is now just 9% faster, which is underwhelming considering it should cost around 20% more. It was still 18% faster than the 4070, which also suffers from the same narrow 192-bit wide memory bus.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2791-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-super/

7800 XT in raster performance but 4070S in RT performance is unlikely since it would mean RDNA4 is much faster than Lovelace in ray tracing. If it's as fast as the 4070S in ray tracing, then there's no reason it shouldn't be faster in rasterization as well. I assume at that point that you're specifically referring to Sony exclusives.

Will it be impossible to buy (off Amazon) at launch because of scalpers? What was the PS4 Pro availability like?

I bought a PS4 Pro no problem during BF 2016.

Although... if the Pro really is coming out this year, it suggests that Sony isn't confident in sales and didn't order much (based upon what AMD said in their financials). I suppose it's possible that Sony underestimates demand.

I would preorder from Sony directly TBH unless you have a fetish for all things Bezos.

King Dazzar

I bought a PS4 Pro no problem during BF 2016.

Although... if the Pro really is coming out this year, it suggests that Sony isn't confident in sales and didn't order much (based upon what AMD said in their financials). I suppose it's possible that Sony underestimates demand.

I would preorder from Sony directly TBH unless you have a fetish for all things Bezos.
The only problem with that is Sony's CS is wank. I'm hoping I can preorder from some where that'll help if there's any issues.

Nope, they are tied in raster only performance.
They are very close, but 4070s is slightly stronger.

But even if they were exactly the same, thinking AMD is going to match Nvidia's 4000s RT performance with their next generation is... optimistic

Currently all Intel CPUs and mobos are off the menu with the exception of OEM prebuilts because they are cooking themselves, and a 13400F will be a bottleneck on all taxing games that will benefit from a PS5 Pro, so even going with an extra expensive Z chip mobo and non-stock CPU cooler to alleviate that bottleneck with an all core overclock will just be cooking it quicker IMO. And then on the AMD side the performance will be better, but IIRC a CPU entry price is higher, and buying a cooler is needed, and IIRC AMD optimised RAM is more expensive and IIRC AMD mobos for similar shared PCIe bandwidth to support the GPU, NVME have a higher entry price too.

A decent forward looking AMD 8 Core CPU or better with good single and multi core clocks in a PC system to support a RTX 4070 is going to be tight IMO even at £750.
Entry price is much lower now for both NVME and CPU's, specially if you are comparing to consoles, if you wanted a fairly stronger CPU than a XSX or PS5 one you had to go to a 5600x, which was 300£, now it goes for around 100£ and it's still superior to a Pro's CPU, same goes for NVME's, they are crazy cheap now compared to 2020.

You don't need a 750£ computer to support a 4070, no.

Last edited:

Gaiff

But even if they were exactly the same, thinking AMD is going to match Nvidia's 4000s RT performance with their next generation is... optimistic
RDNA4 RT vs Lovelace being equal isn't that far-fetched. RDNA4 will have to compete with Blackwell, so AMD being a generation behind in RT isn't that optimistic.

Gaiff

It is easier to suggest a system than live with it in reality IMHO of building my own systems since the Intel 80286.

Huh? But this isn't true. A 13400F will almost never be the bottleneck for a 4070. The 4070 really isn't that fast and the 13400F that slow. The 13400F is a low-wattage CPU. It shouldn't have problems like the 13900 or 14700 CPUs.

Pairing a 13400F with a 4070 is perfectly fine. Your case is different because you actually need a super fast CPU. Budget and mid-range rigs don't.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
A 13400F is plenty good for a 4070. The real problem with that setup is the slow-ass DDR4 and motherboard.
I think you read the article wrong. The pre built PC with a 13400F had a 3050 (lol). The build they suggest had a 12400F and a 7600. That's for $750. If you want a 13400F and a 4070 just those two puts put you over $700. You still need to build the rest of the system.

PC gaming is expensive these days. And Sony has raised the price of the base PS5 over the years. If the Pro is as capable as is talked about here then they have room. That is why I said $750. I would actually be surprised in a good way if the MSRP of the disc PS5 Pro is <$700.

My 2016’s i7-6700 with 16 GB @ 3,2GHz is so ready for a new card for Civ VII.
That CPU is a massive bottleneck for anything approach a modern GPU at this point.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I think you read the article wrong. The pre built PC with a 13400F had a 3050 (lol). The build they suggest had a 12400F and a 7600. That's for $750.

PC gaming is expensive these days. And Sony has raised the price of the base PS5 over the years. If the Pro is as capable as is talked about here then they have room. That is why I said $750. I would actually be surprised in a good way if the MSRP of the disc PS5 Pro is <$700.
The Pro won't even sniff $750, come on. It will be $600.

Radical_3d

That CPU is a massive bottleneck for anything approach a modern GPU at this point.
It’ll have to suffice. I’m not buying a whole new PC in this economy. Plus, the 6700 can be overclocked with the bios (it’s just that it will ALWAYS go at max, consuming a lot more).

The irony being that Super Saiyan 3 is the most inefficient and energy intensive Super Saiyan form. So much so that Goku can’t keep it for more than a couple of minutes with a living body. It’s quite literally the ultimate "brute force" method which makes it much closer to what the 4090 is.

7700 XT is a bit too low in my opinion. I still stand by your 4070 prediction. Could be 4070S+ in exclusives. I wonder if they can leverage dual-issue compute somehow.
Dual issue can apparently be easily leveraged, but the shader compiler has to be aware of it which will never happen with so many PC configs. It's not gonna double its performance but Sony dev tools taking advantage will be a great boost.

Mr.Phoenix

Nah. You’re missing the point.

I’m comparing relative price/performance. I made that pretty clear in my post.

A $599 PS5 Pro digital edition in 2024 that performs ~half as well as a $1600 GPU released 2 years prior

Is objectively a lesser value, all things considered, than a $399 PS5 digital edition in 2020 that performs ~half as well as a $1500 GPU released the same holiday season

I’m still getting the Pro at launch. I’m just pointing out some inconsistencies.
Weird comparison to make... being that you aren't factoring in component costs. Eg... 7nm costs less than 4/5/6nm. 14GFbs RAM costs less than 18Gbs RAM. And the difference between now and say 2020... is that costs of even the same,e things have gone up... not down.

And as has already been said... what you should be looking at if value is what you are looking at, is what a similarly specced PC would cost.

PaintTinJr

They are very close, but 4070s is slightly stronger.

Entry price is much lower now for both NVME and CPU's, specially if you are comparing to consoles, if you wanted a fairly stronger CPU than a XSX or PS5 one you had to go to a 5600x, which was 300£, now it goes for around 100£ and it's still superior to a Pro's CPU, same goes for NVME's, they are crazy cheap now compared to 2020.

You don't need a 750£ computer to support a 4070, no.
Decent forward looking? ie something you can actually live with for 7years as a PC - meaning not equal to PS5 Pro, but better and a reasonable desktop too.

A 5600X is only 6 Cores with just a 3.7Ghz clock unless running single core games. I wouldn't buy that if I was spending £500 on a GPU. It is a silly big head small body PC design IMHO which will not even warrant a GPU upgrade when the GPU isn't cutting it, and the whole PC ends up needing replaced. It is far more cost effective to buy a good system with a £300 GPU and replace the GPU every few years IMO.

Mr.Phoenix

Dual issue can apparently be easily leveraged, but the shader compiler has to be aware of it which will never happen with so many PC configs. It's not gonna double its performance but Sony dev tools taking advantage will be a great boost.
This is the PS5pro secret not-so-secret sauce. But that leak about 40% faster than PS5... doesn't give me much hope.

Ideally... with the proper implementation of DIC... this thing should be at least 100% faster than the PS5.

My only comfort has been that I have always pegged it at a 16TF machine, which puts it in spitting distance of 7700XT, 7800XT and a 4070. And those GPUs can run most modern games in 1440p@60fps+ with ultra settings. Now a console has no business using ultra settings, and I can see them dropping the rex from 1440p to like 1296p or something and using PSSR to make the difference in getting it to 4K.

That would be a mighty fine console gaming box if you ask me.

This is the PS5pro secret not-so-secret sauce. But that leak about 40% faster than PS5... doesn't give me much hope.

Ideally... with the proper implementation of DIC... this thing should be at least 100% faster than the PS5.

My only comfort has been that I have always pegged it at a 16TF machine, which puts it in spitting distance of 7700XT, 7800XT and a 4070. And those GPUs can run most modern games in 1440p@60fps+ with ultra settings. Now a console has no business using ultra settings, and I can see them dropping the rex from 1440p to like 1296p or something and using PSSR to make the difference in getting it to 4K.

That would be a mighty fine console gaming box if you ask me.
I already have my doubts about that estimate, or to be exact what's exactly referring to. Dual issue compute is young and shouldn't traditionally count in raster performance calculations, when not DIC or RT bound that is the boost, no lies detected.

Decent forward looking? ie something you can actually live with for 7years as a PC - meaning not equal to PS5 Pro, but better and a reasonable desktop too.

A 5600X is only 6 Cores with just a 3.7Ghz clock unless running single core games. I wouldn't buy that if I was spending £500 on a GPU. It is a silly big head small body PC design IMHO which will not even warrant a GPU upgrade when the GPU isn't cutting it, and the whole PC ends up needing replaced. It is far more cost effective to buy a good system with a £300 GPU and replace the GPU every few years IMO.
5600x is what, 20% better than 3600x? Which is already better than a PS5 Pro CPU, which will move almost every game until what? Let's say PS6 releases in 2027 at the very best, and then we'll go into crossgen games for at least 3 more years, so we are good for 6 years at least.

I wouldn't go for that one if i was getting a 4070, but yes, it'll work better than any actual gen console.

Akuji

5600x is dirt cheap and can be bought used with mobo and ram for like 140euro in germany. Maybe worth looking at.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
7800 XT in raster performance but 4070S in RT performance is unlikely since it would mean RDNA4 is much faster than Lovelace in ray tracing. If it's as fast as the 4070S in ray tracing, then there's no reason it shouldn't be faster in rasterization as well. I assume at that point that you're specifically referring to Sony exclusives.

RT will be in line with lovelace. Console optimization/low level API will handle the rest. Will be especially evident in first party games but also sizeable number of 3rd party as well.

Gaiff

RT will be in line with lovelace. Console optimization/low level API will handle the rest. Will be especially evident in first party games but also sizeable number of 3rd party as well.
When have you last seen a third-party title perform significantly better on the PS5 than on similarly specced PC GPUs?

PaintTinJr

5600x is what, 20% better than 3600x? Which is already better than a PS5 Pro CPU, which will move almost every game until what? Let's say PS6 releases in 2027 at the very best, and then we'll go into crossgen games for at least 3 more years, so we are good for 6 years at least.

I wouldn't go for that one if i was getting a 4070, but yes, it'll work better than any actual gen console.
In reality it'll be nothing like that when PSSR is unlocking higher framerates IMO, because - less so historically with Intel CPUs on Windows - clock rate and cache on AMD CPUs seem to age badly for gaming and if the 5600x only has 20% currently on that mobile CPU in the PS5 and is two cores down it is already defunct hardware to compete with a Pro IMO, and certainly not a CPU to go buy for an all purpose PC to house a 4070.

The comparison almost immediately falls apart when considering how tiny a niche build category it is for people wanting an under the TV throwaway commodity gaming PC to only substitute a console in that moment when considering part choices and the cost, but the typical comparison isn't a computer under the TV, and is one that is a long term purchase with the ability to evolve to eek out more years from, which always comes back to an expensive or mid-plus base system build + monitor + GPU. I personally know someone that's kid fell foul of the DF PC alternative PS4 build last gen that his uncle built for him and he managed to live with it for no more than 3years and still ended up buying a PS4 :)

Gaiff

AC Valhalla, CoD Black Ops CW, Cyberpunk 2077 to name a few.
AC Valhalla: It performs like a 2080. In line with the specs.

Black Ops: the alpha effects are like a quarter resolution on console and in full resolution on PC. They destroy performance.

Cyberpunk 2077: No?

In reality it'll be nothing like that when PSSR is unlocking higher framerates IMO, because - less so historically with Intel CPUs on Windows - clock rate and cache on AMD CPUs seem to age badly for gaming and if the 5600x only has 20% currently on that mobile CPU in the PS5 and is two cores down it is already defunct hardware to compete with a Pro IMO, and certainly not a CPU to go buy for an all purpose PC to house a 4070.

The comparison almost immediately falls apart when considering how tiny a niche build category it is for people wanting an under the TV throwaway commodity gaming PC to only substitute a console in that moment when considering part choices and the cost, but the typical comparison isn't a computer under the TV, and is one that is a long term purchase with the ability to evolve to eek out more years from, which always comes back to an expensive or mid-plus base system build + monitor + GPU. I personally know someone that's kid fell foul of the DF PC alternative PS4 build last gen that his uncle built for him and he managed to live with it for no more than 3years and still ended up buying a PS4 :)
First part sounds like a bit of copium not gonna lie, the new Cell, power of the cloud, or of the SSD, in reality it'll be a worse DLSS.

PS5 reserves 1,5 cores for it's OS for streaming or recording purposes for example, so 5600x is not 2 cores down, it's a better CPU than the Pro, no discussion there, just like 3600x was stronger than XSX/PS5 back in 2020 and it's still in 2024.

I only talked about a PC that was more powerful than the PRO, and that's what the 5600x + 4070 is, you'll always have more performance on average.

PaintTinJr

First part sounds like a bit of copium not gonna lie, the new Cell, power of the cloud, or of the SSD, in reality it'll be a worse DLSS.

PS5 reserves 1,5 cores for it's OS for streaming or recording purposes for example, so 5600x is not 2 cores down, it's a better CPU than the Pro, no discussion there, just like 3600x was stronger than XSX/PS5 back in 2020 and it's still in 2024.

I only talked about a PC that was more powerful than the PRO, and that's what the 5600x + 4070 is, you'll always have more performance on average.
There's no copium, and Windows itself uses 1.5 Cores to run the OS, so it is still 2 cores less, and although it is a superior CPU, it isn't getting superior utilisation/optimisation, and unlike on console where performance continually gets better over time with the console OS, on PC Windows becomes more bloated and developers quickly move focus to newer CPU hardware meaning the equation goes in the opposite direction on Windows.

Even if PSSR isn't superior to DLSS at launch, although the Ragnarok AI upscaler suggests otherwise given it was doubling image resolution. And unlike Nvidia that use DLSS versions to sell newer GPUs, PSSR will improve continually on the Pro, so the chances that DLSS on a 4070 is better than PSSR over the duration - assuming DLSS is actually superior to PSSR at the Pro's launch - seems highly unlikely to me.

There's no copium, and Windows itself uses 1.5 Cores to run the OS, so it is still 2 cores less, and although it is a superior CPU, it isn't getting superior utilisation/optimisation, and unlike on console where performance continually gets better over time with the console OS, on PC Windows becomes more bloated and developers quickly move focus to newer CPU hardware meaning the equation goes in the opposite direction on Windows.

Even if PSSR isn't superior to DLSS at launch, although the Ragnarok AI upscaler suggests otherwise given it was doubling image resolution. And unlike Nvidia that use DLSS versions to sell newer GPUs, PSSR will improve continually on the Pro, so the chances that DLSS on a 4070 is better than PSSR over the duration - assuming DLSS is actually superior to PSSR at the Pro's launch - seems highly unlikely to me.
That's another round of copium man lol, no, Windows doesn't reserve nor use your CPU at all while gaming unless you actually force it, if you stream then you'll get a performance loss for example, that won't happen in PS5.

Performance gets better over time, more copium, back in 2020 people was comparing consoles with a 2070s, now in 2024 that GPU is performing just like XSX or PS5, just check AW2, Cyberpunk, Wukong, etc.

About PSSR getting better than DLSS, no comments there, who knows hehe maybe Sony will be the one to dethrone Nvidia's technology

bundylove

There's no chance it's going to be 750; Sony has admitted that the pro model is a way to keep people in the Sony eco system instead of upgrading their computer, when you can get an RTX4070 for ~500, pricing this at >150 over that wouldn't do much in terms of convincing people to stay.
Oh you jist wait till kamala will win the election and inflation will sky rocket.
750 is not that unrealistic lol.

Sweet spot is 600 and lets hope thats it

ChiefDada

Gold Member
AC Valhalla: It performs like a 2080. In line with the specs.

Since when was the PS5 expected to perform like a 2080??? Certainly wasn't the prediction prior to release. Per techpowerup, 6700xt is only 11% faster than 2080. 6700xt (13 TF) is supposed to be 30% faster than PS5 (10 TF).

Black Ops: the alpha effects are like a quarter resolution on console and in full resolution on PC. They destroy performance.

If you think that's the cause for the entire delta then ok.

Cyberpunk 2077: No?

Yes.

Gaiff

Since when was the PS5 expected to perform like a 2080??? Certainly wasn't the prediction prior to release. Per techpowerup, 6700xt is only 11% faster than 2080. 6700xt (13 TF) is supposed to be 30% faster than PS5 (10 TF).
Since for a long time? Those who said 2060S were always morons. 2070-2080 has always been the range. Shit games might see its performance drop to 2070-level and well-optimized games will perform in the ballpark of a 2080. The usual is 2070S. The 2080 is like 10% faster than the 2070S. Not a big difference As for the 6700 XT being 30% faster, I don't think so. The PS5 is generally agreed to perform like a 6700. The 6700 XT is just 16% faster than the regular variant.

9% faster than the 2070S according to Richard. Before you say RT, it's just RT shadows. Once again, ballpark of a 2080. Seems pretty normal to me.

Those two games perform about 10% better than the 2070S. They're not exactly huge outliers and fall within the expected range. Now if they performed like a 3060 Ti, it'd be a different story.

Regardless, that extra 10 % wouldn't boost the quoted 45% (or the specs) figure to 4070S level. Heisenberg said 4070 in general and the 4070S is 21% faster. In Sony games like TLOU Part III, I'm sure it'd be possible (unless they figured out how to better optimize for PC). In third-party games though? Given how little devs care about squeezing every last drop of performance out of consoles, I wouldn't bet on it.

I still say 4070. 4070S for third-party games sounds insanely optimistic.

We will likely get concrete news very soon though. I honestly can't wait to see what it can do. Been waiting for months to get one that will hopefully be bundled with a TV during Black Friday, but I'm probably getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Black Friday bundle? For a Pro in it's first year?

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Loxus

Possible RDNA4 SKUs

PS5 Pro
same as RX 8800 with 4 more active CUs (60 vs 56)

VS-You-Tube-RDNA4-Mid-Range-SAVIORor-DOOMEDSpecs-Pricing-Strategy-7-12.jpg
I remember some rumors said PS5 Pro had 56CUs.

Navi48 is rumored to rumored to have 4 Shader Engines. Shader Engines has to be symmetrical with the same amount of CUs in each Shader Engine.

56CU SKU has 1WGP/2CU disabled per SE.
48CU SKU has 2WGP/4CU disabled per SE.
SvpRTds.png

nRNRyYk.png

PS5 Pro is most likely full RDNA4 with 68CUs total with 4SE and 1WGP/2CU disabled per SE.

Note:
This is just a thought and not to be taken seriously.

Also, it seems RDNA4 RT now has the same capabilities as Turing and Ampere.
fkNGHEa.png

There won't be a Black Friday sale, it will be "we'll actually have Pros on Friday if you get in line at 5am sale."

People are underestimating how well the Pro is going to do.

Exactly, PEOPLE BUY THINGS on Black Friday, it doesn't make sense to miss it just to release it two weeks later....

Last edited:

Zathalus

I think Keplers prediction of 7700xt raster will be quickly proven wrong. It will much closer to 7800XT raster and 4070S RT.
How exactly? The specifications are way to far off for it to compete with either of those GPUs. For the 4070S part to be true it would also assume that RDNA4 is faster in RT compared to Ada Lovelace, which seems even more unlikely.

Has someone here wondered how many consoles can they even manufacture in the upcoming three months until its release? Were there any estimates for the PS4 Pro at the time? I recall scalping was common place.

I am with you on this.

Its either november or next year.
December makes no sense. People already blew their money by then.

I know i will spend another 3k on lego sales alone

Yeah, it could work in Europe as there's no Thanksgiving and people spend money in December (for Christmas)

But the US launch HAS to be in the second half of November

bundylove

Yeah, it could work in Europe as there's no Thanksgiving and people spend money in December (for Christmas)

But the US launch HAS to be in the second half of November
To my knowledge, like with everything else, europe adopted the black friday craze so i think its the same over there. Only difference people have less money to spend as cost of living is higher than in north america

ChiefDada

Gold Member
How exactly? The specifications are way to far off for it to compete with either of those GPUs. For the 4070S part to be true it would also assume that RDNA4 is faster in RT compared to Ada Lovelace, which seems even more unlikely.

Huh? At PS5 Pro max clock of 2.35ghz, theoretical TFLOP is virtually identical 18TF vs 18.6TF for 7800xt. Even if you want to go with 33.5/16.7 TF non dual issue from Sony leak, we are looking at a 10% theoretical difference that can/will be easily overcome by RDNA 3.5 (or other future RDNA) architectural uplift, low level API/console optimization, etc.

Top Bottom