• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What no one is talking about ( maybe some but I'm not reading every single post ) is that's is almost end of life for the ps5. PS4 lasted 7 years... ps5 at 5 so you will get a pro console for 2 years? Or will the ps5 go on for longer ? It's a very interesting situation.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What no one is talking about ( maybe some but I'm not reading every single post ) is that's is almost end of life for the ps5. PS4 lasted 7 years... ps5 at 5 so you will get a pro console for 2 years? Or will the ps5 go on for longer ? It's a very interesting situation.

5??? It hasn't even been four years yet. We are smack dab in the middle of console generation. Perfect time for the Pro to release around Wukong, Outlaws, and upcoming GTA 6.

To my knowledge, like with everything else, europe adopted the black friday craze so i think its the same over there. Only difference people have less money to spend as cost of living is higher than in north america

Yeah we adopted it for SALES as in discounts

But those are actually used to get Christmas gifts in advance

Basically you hide what you buy for a month before you put them under the Christmas tree.... (yours or somebody else's) :D

Last edited:
Has someone here wondered how many consoles can they even manufacture in the upcoming three months until its release? Were there any estimates for the PS4 Pro at the time? I recall scalping was common place.
Scalping wasn’t a thing with the PS4 Pro.

I recall my first PS4 Pro that I got on launch day having a high-pitched whistling fan (nidec?) so I had Amazon replace it with another unit within the same week.

That wouldn’t have been possible if the consoles were scalped/unavailable.

EDIT - Just looked at my Amazon order history, I ordered my original PS4 Pro (the one I got on launch day) on November 3rd, 2016. That was only 7 days before the console launched. At no point were they ever “sold out” or unavailable. Scalping was never a factor for that console. The world was in a much better place back then.

Last edited:
Scalping wasn’t a thing with the PS4 Pro.

I recall my first PS4 Pro that I got on launch day having a high-pitched whistling fan (nidec?) so I had Amazon replace it with another unit within the same week.

That wouldn’t have been possible if the consoles were scalped/unavailable.

EDIT - Just looked at my Amazon order history, I ordered my original PS4 Pro (the one I got on launch day) on November 3rd, 2016. That was only 7 days before the console launched. At no point were they ever “sold out” or unavailable. Scalping was never a factor for that console.
I guess where I live then? Getting a PS4 Pro was difficult for a couple of weeks until some retailers started selling them officially. It's no first world so that could be it.

Loxus

I said the same thing a couple pages ago and some people didn't like it

FireFly

Huh? At PS5 Pro max clock of 2.35ghz, theoretical TFLOP is virtually identical 18TF vs 18.6TF for 7800xt. Even if you want to go with 33.5/16.7 TF non dual issue from Sony leak, we are looking at a 10% theoretical difference that can/will be easily overcome by RDNA 3.5 (or other future RDNA) architectural uplift, low level API/console optimization, etc.
However, there is also the fact that the Pro seems to be using lower clocked memory than the 7800 XT, doesn't have any Infinity Cache and the available bandwidth has to be shared with the CPU.

I said the same thing a couple pages ago and some people didn't like it
Even if we assume this generation will be 7 years long (I personally believe it will be longer) - 7 years is 2555 days.

If we assume the PS5 Pro launches in November, let’s just say for the sake of argument it’s November 12th, 2024 - that would mean the Pro launches 57% of the way into a 7 year console generation. Not exactly “end of life”.

If this generation ends up being 8 years long, which at this juncture I believe it will, the Pro will have launched exactly at the halfway mark of the generation.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I think the real yardstick for this question is how long after the Switch 2 releases will Sony wait to release the PS6. I'm pretty sure Sony like to remain half a gen out of step with Nintendo after the Wii situation, and I suspect if the Switch 2 had already launched last year then a PS5 Pro might have been in the market too for the last 10months.

The delay of Switch 2 makes me think generations are going to get longer and the mid-gen refreshes for PlayStation makes that situation much easier to keep more demanding customers onside.

If there is a chance that this Pro doesn't get released this year I think it will be because Sony don't want it out before the Switch 2, so the Switch 2 is guaranteed to be mid-gen when a Ps6 releases.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
However, there is also the fact that the Pro seems to be using lower clocked memory than the 7800 XT, doesn't have any Infinity Cache and the available bandwidth has to be shared with the CPU.

Ok, and portion of 7800XT/RDNA 3 clocks are used to cover chiplet inefficiency. We can go all day with the console pc one ups.

Btw, in the most recent DF Direct, Richard previews BMW gpu benchmark between PS5 and 6700; PS5 runs "5%-10% faster" than 6700 despite the infinity cache, higher clocks, and overall 10% theoretical compute advantage. And we all know Wukong is a PC centric game not optimized for PS5.

7800xt raster (and who really cares when Pro has PSSR?)/4070S really shouldn't be a shock to anyone based on what we know so far. In fact, it's entirely possible I'm lowballing Pro performance.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Maybe, but my point is it doesn't follow the traditional console centric development of many other AAAs, which is to be expected from a Chinese developer.
I'm not sure how much console-centric development is nowadays to be honest with you. I often hear about lead platforms and the like, but I've never actually seen a developer say how the whole process works. There are examples such as Callisto Protocol where Sony assisted in the development, but this doesn't seem to be the norm.

Given the fact that so many games nowadays don't even make use of the PS5's features, I have a hard time believing it's the lead platform for most of them. We still see long-as-hell load times, little use of the hardware-accelerated decompression, a myriad of titles not featuring any kind of rt, and really, nothing coming all that close to Sony's first-party games barring a few exceptions. If I were a betting man, I'd say most devs target low to mid-spec PCs as the lowest common denominator. Too many games just aren't that well-optimized on consoles. It's definitely not like in the past. Admittedly, this is all conjecture that I cannot prove one way or the other. I simply feel that if consoles were at the forefront, we'd get games that run much better than this, and not shit like Skull & Bones dropping to 720p using FSR.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much console-centric development is nowadays to be honest with you. I often hear about lead platforms and the like, but I've never actually seen a developer say how the whole process works. There are examples such as Callisto Protocol where Sony assisted in the development, but this doesn't seem to be the norm.

Given the fact that so many games nowadays don't even make use of the PS5's features, I have a hard time believing it's the lead platform for most of them. We still see long-as-hell load times, little use of the hardware-accelerated decompression, a myriad of titles not featuring any kind of rt, and really, nothing coming all that close to Sony's first-party games barring a few exceptions. If I were a betting man, I'd say most devs target low to mid-spec PCs as the lowest common denominator. Too many games just aren't that well-optimized on consoles. It's definitely not like in the past. Admittedly, this is all conjecture that I cannot prove one way or the other. I simply feel that if consoles were at the forefront, we'd get games that run much better than this, and not shit like Skull & Bones dropping to 720p using FSR.
For this to be the case and only if it is, those "low-to-mid spec" PCs would still need to be faster than a PS5 by a significant margin. Consoles are likely at the forefront like they always were, devs just no longer give af about image quality or performance and it shows in every platform.

Last edited:

Gaiff

For this to be the case and only if it is, those "low-to-mid spec" PCs would still need to be faster than a PS5 by a significant margin. Consoles are likely at the forefront like they always were, devs just no longer give af about image quality or performance and it shows in every platform.
Not sure what you mean? Why would those lower-end PCs need to be faster than the PS5? It's much easier to target a lower-end machine than a higher-end one. Far easier to scale up than down.

Zathalus

Huh? At PS5 Pro max clock of 2.35ghz, theoretical TFLOP is virtually identical 18TF vs 18.6TF for 7800xt. Even if you want to go with 33.5/16.7 TF non dual issue from Sony leak, we are looking at a 10% theoretical difference that can/will be easily overcome by RDNA 3.5 (or other future RDNA) architectural uplift, low level API/console optimization, etc.
The 7800XT is actually faster then that, the average clock speed of a 7800XT is around 2550Mhz or so (as usual, GPU clocks of the offfical specs for both Nvidia and AMD are very conservative) which makes the real compute number 39/19.5 TF. It also has 624.1 GB/s of memory coupled to 64 MB of infinity cache, so a commanding lead in memory bandwidth. It’s a bigger difference then the regular PS5 and a 6700 (especially in terms of memory speed and capacity) and those are basically tied in the majority of cases.

As for architectural uplift? RDNA 3 to RDNA 3.5 has seen zero change on that front. Maybe RDNA 4 has something but that mostly appears to focus on RT and ML gains.

Killer8

Who's to say this generation won't end up lasting 8 years like the seventh-gen?

Visual returns are diminishing. Resolutions and framerates are mostly good enough. This isn't the PS3 sub-HD days any more where people are desperate for new hardware.

The PS5 Pro would be for the enthusiasts who need that extra edge eg. 60fps where it might've been 30fps on the base console, or more ray-tracing effects.

Not sure what you mean? Why would those lower-end PCs need to be faster than the PS5? It's much easier to target a lower-end machine than a higher-end one. Far easier to scale up than down.
Because the lower end PCs you speculate about would actually result in much higher resolutions than what we're currently getting. They're clearly not doing that, the consoles are the target. Why else would we be hitting 720p, unless the target PCs were so much faster?

Last edited:

Loxus

Even if we assume this generation will be 7 years long (I personally believe it will be longer) - 7 years is 2555 days.

If we assume the PS5 Pro launches in November, let’s just say for the sake of argument it’s November 12th, 2024 - that would mean the Pro launches 57% of the way into a 7 year console generation. Not exactly “end of life”.

If this generation ends up being 8 years long, which at this juncture I believe it will, the Pro will have launched exactly at the halfway mark of the generation.
You have to think like a hardware company, which is what Sony primarily is.

Sony already reported a decline in PS5 sales, which is reflected in AMD 2024 Financial Report.

PS4 Pro sold 14.3 million vs PS4 105.3 million by the end of 2019, so the PS5 Pro isn't going to help boost sales in the long run.

By 2026, revenue from console sales will be very low as the PS5 would of passed 100 million sales by then.

Sony as a hardware company isn't going to stretch out a generation selling 25,000 consoles per year.

I for one don't understand why this generation needs to be longer than the rest. But what I understand is this is just a phase. A year after the PS5 Pro launches, the PS6 would be wanted more than how the PS5 Pro is wanted now.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I remember some rumors said PS5 Pro had 56CUs.

Navi48 is rumored to rumored to have 4 Shader Engines. Shader Engines has to be symmetrical with the same amount of CUs in each Shader Engine.

56CU SKU has 1WGP/2CU disabled per SE.
48CU SKU has 2WGP/4CU disabled per SE.
SvpRTds.png

nRNRyYk.png

PS5 Pro is most likely full RDNA4 with 68CUs total with 4SE and 1WGP/2CU disabled per SE.

Note:
This is just a thought and not to be taken seriously.

Also, it seems RDNA4 RT now has the same capabilities as Turing and Ampere.
fkNGHEa.png

People still buying the ps4. Why wouldn’t the ps5 go on for next 7 years as well?? Not everyone gets current gen’s due to costs etc, plus a ps5 pro if it can do 4k/60 many might not feel the need to get another console for a long time

Imtjnotu

The 7800XT is actually faster then that, the average clock speed of a 7800XT is around 2550Mhz or so (as usual, GPU clocks of the offfical specs for both Nvidia and AMD are very conservative) which makes the real compute number 39/19.5 TF. It also has 624.1 GB/s of memory coupled to 64 MB of infinity cache, so a commanding lead in memory bandwidth. It’s a bigger difference then the regular PS5 and a 6700 (especially in terms of memory speed and capacity) and those are basically tied in the majority of cases.

As for architectural uplift? RDNA 3 to RDNA 3.5 has seen zero change on that front. Maybe RDNA 4 has something but that mostly appears to focus on RT and ML gains.
Post is irrelevant with out a chart.

Toons

I just stayed with the PS4. They’re still releasing games for it.

Im still on 4 but outlaws wulong and SM2 among others make me wanna make the switch. I'm hoping this release leads to a lower price for the base version. Idgaf about the graphic upgrades.

They should've brought back the slim

Gaiff

Because the lower end PCs you speculate about would actually result in much higher resolutions than what we're currently getting. They're clearly not doing that, the consoles are the target. Why else would we be hitting 720p, unless the target PCs were so much faster?
I would argue the consoles should be capable of much more, but they're poorly utilized exactly because they're not the target platform. Devs do it for lower to mid-range machines (which aren't far from the consoles these days) and when they get running it on consoles, they just go, "good enough" and call it a day.

When I say lower-end, I don't mean a 1060. I mean a 2060/S.

Last edited:

Loxus

I don't get the issue with using charts, diagrams, etc.

When I was in college, the tutors often utilized multimedia and would advise us to use it if possible as it is easier than writing on the chalkboard and the students will get a better understanding visually with images than with texts or verbally when teaching a class.

I would argue the consoles should be capable of much more, but they're poorly utilized exactly because they're not the target platform. Devs do it for lower to mid-range machines (which aren't far from the consoles these days) and when they get running it on consoles, they just go, "good enough" and call it a day.

When I say lower-end, I don't mean a 1060. I mean a 2060/S.
Unfortunately without real proof it's hard to claim this is the case. The GPUs are being definitely maxed out, just not efficiently per see. Many of these games are shipping with raytracing on consoles, that definitely counts as being utilized, they just can't keep up with this and 60 frames per second.

Bitstream

as much as I hate the idea of delaying the PS6, it's important to allow for enough time for the hardware uplift to feel like a new gen, and still give the devs enough time to release some innovative games that can truly push the hardware on day one. If ps6 gets rushed out just to enter another 4 years of crossgen, whats the point? As it stands, more than half of sonys first party studios haven't even released a next gen only game, built from the ground up with ps5 in mind.

Gaiff

Unfortunately without real proof it's hard to claim this is the case. The GPUs are being definitely maxed out, just not efficiently per see. Many of these games are shipping with raytracing on consoles, that definitely counts as being utilized, they just can't keep up with this and 60 frames per second.
Yeah, I know. As I said before, it's conjecture on my part, but I also haven't really seen proof of consoles being the target or the other way around. It's a logical assumption. I'm not sure if there is a general trend within the industry or if it just varies widely to the point that no pattern can be said to exist.

Yeah, I know. As I said before, it's conjecture on my part, but I also haven't really seen proof of consoles being the target or the other way around. It's a logical assumption. I'm not sure if there is a general trend within the industry or if it just varies widely to the point that no pattern can be said to exist.
We know one thing at least and it's from Cerny himself. He did not expect devs to utilize raytracing as much as they have this generation.

Loxus

as much as I hate the idea of delaying the PS6, it's important to allow for enough time for the hardware uplift to feel like a new gen, and still give the devs enough time to release some innovative games that can truly push the hardware on day one. If ps6 gets rushed out just to enter another 4 years of crossgen, whats the point? As it stands, more than half of sonys first party studios haven't even released a next gen only game, built from the ground up with ps5 in mind.
How is PS6 releasing in 2027, rushing?

Are all the other generations rushed?
PlayStation - 5 years
PlayStation 2 - 6.5 years
PlayStation 3 - 7 years
PlayStation 4 - 7 years

Bitstream

The difference between all the previous gens and this one, is that for the first time, it takes ~6 years to put out a polished game built from the ground up for current gen.

Loxus

The difference between all the previous gens and this one, is that for the first time, it takes ~6 years to put out a polished game built from the ground up for current gen.
That's still going to release on PC with a wide variety of GPU specs.

Not to mention the PS6 would be Backwards Compatible and also PS6 exclusives with proper use of AI.

Also, you really think developers wait until a console is released to start developing for it?

nick776

PlayStation - 5 years
PlayStation 3 - 7 years
PlayStation 4 - 7 years
It drives me insane to read people's nonsense when they say "why are we rushing to PS6, this generation just began, etc." Seven years is the norm, and I do not understand why people seem to think otherwise (some people at least). I actually think seven years is TOO long, PS1 being 5 years was the sweet spot to me. The 8 year Switch nonsense is idiotic, I haven't touched my switch since TOTK and it is because I just cannot stand the graphics on a 4K OLED TV (not to mention no HDR or Dolby Atmos). The longer the generation the more I dislike it toward the end. Then again, I'm also the kind of person who would pay pretty much any price for a new console every year like I do with iPhone. To each his own I suppose. Now, I realize that those of us on NeoGaf are largely old farts, many of us in late 30s, 40s and 50s with some 60s mixed in. Given that is the case, we also have far more disposable income to buy things that younger folks cannot. Perhaps the people who are screaming "it is too early" are youngsters in their late teens and early 20s who may live paycheck to paycheck in which case I should have more sympathy for them. . .maybe I SHOULD BUY one of them a PS5 Pro as a gesture of goodwill to help sway their way of thinking.

Last edited:

Bitstream

I've been ready for PS6 since 2022, but getting the latest and greatest hardware won't change the fact that the games just aren't ready, and are taking too long to come out. I'd happily drop 3K on a machine right now if it was going to get a steady stream of AAA next gen games

nial

PlayStation - 5 years
PlayStation 3 - 7 years
PlayStation 4 - 7 years
PS2 was ~7 years, really. And in Japan, PS4 lasted as much as it (February 2014 - November 2020).
Count me in for a November 2027 release for PS6. Sony has consistently had a 7 year lifecycle for their consoles starting with PS2 (and that's also including PSP and PS Vita), so I don't get where's the 2028 thing coming from.
Most of the arguments are pretty weak; "we had stock shortages!", yet it's still selling on the same pace as PS4 regardless, "their heavy hitters (ND's new IP, SSM's new IP, Wolverine, GOT 2, GT8 and Horizon 3) are only just coming!", as if those aren't releasing in the 2025-2027 time frame, anyway.
November 2027 is the only way.

Last edited:
Call me crazy... but I believe PS6 launches 3 years after the Nintendo Switch. This is the first time we will see Sony launching a console without having to worry about Microsoft. They do not need to launch in 2027.

PS6 cadence is pretty predictable, it will come when there’s a noticeable shrink at scale from where we are today

Nintendo is on their own schedule but Sony is always right after a major shrink

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

PlayStation - 5 years
PlayStation 3 - 7 years
PlayStation 4 - 7 years
HW evolution is still slowing down pace wise thus it takes longer and longer (and more costly) to make the same kind of improvement gen on gen.

Mr.Phoenix

PS6 cadence is pretty predictable, it will come when there’s a noticeable shrink at scale from where we are today

Nintendo is on their own schedule but Sony is always right after a major shrink
Agreed, but unless we assume that the norm going forward is never to have a price drop, then its safe to say that whatever drops we are seeing now is because this is the first time that we have been this far into a gen with no official proper price drops.

We can't really be talking about cadences or what Sony has always done and yet ignore the things that makes this gen different from everyone before it.

So, if we accept that this is the first gen where we don't see actual price drops, then we also have to accept that we are in uncharted territory here. And we can throw everything we know about how a gen usually plays out, out the window.

If on the other hand, we want to say this gen is not that different and just drawn out... meaning, cross gen phase lasted longer than ever, price drop will come but just happen two years later than usual, games take longer to make....etc, then we should also accept that everything thus far about this gen has been protracted... and as such the PS6 will also come later than usual.

Since when was the PS5 expected to perform like a 2080??? Certainly wasn't the prediction prior to release. Per techpowerup, 6700xt is only 11% faster than 2080. 6700xt (13 TF) is supposed to be 30% faster than PS5 (10 TF).

If you think that's the cause for the entire delta then ok.

Yes.

This is why I think PS5 Pro RT games will perform like a +4070, because Sony's API is just so good at leveraging RT on PS5. We have seen this in almost all recent hardware RT games, here vs PC, but also vs XSX. Software RT like in Lumen will be a thing in the past on PS5 Pro and then PS6. The dedicated hardware will be just too good compared to compute RT trickery.

FireFly

Ok, and portion of 7800XT/RDNA 3 clocks are used to cover chiplet inefficiency. We can go all day with the console pc one ups.

Btw, in the most recent DF Direct, Richard previews BMW gpu benchmark between PS5 and 6700; PS5 runs "5%-10% faster" than 6700 despite the infinity cache, higher clocks, and overall 10% theoretical compute advantage. And we all know Wukong is a PC centric game not optimized for PS5.

7800xt raster (and who really cares when Pro has PSSR?)/4070S really shouldn't be a shock to anyone based on what we know so far. In fact, it's entirely possible I'm lowballing Pro performance.
You are already specifying the clock speed in the example, so that "advantage" is already off the board.

The 6700 has 320.0 GB/s of bandwidth to the PS5's 448 GB/s, so the Wukong example seems perfectly reasonable to me. The PS5's bandwidth is the same as that of the 5700 XT and 2080, shares the bandwith with the CPU, but has other optimizations. In bandwidth-bound scenarios it seems to perform around where the PC parts are (eg. the Miami cutscene of Hitman 3 featuring particle overdraw). So overall the PS5's bandwidth seems "fine" with 448 GB/s available or 12.4 GB/s per CU. While the PS5 Pro using 18GT/s memory would have 576 GB/s available or 9.6 GB/s per CU. The relevant question then is whether we think cutting the available bandwidth by 23% on a per-CU basis is not going to affect performance at all.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

You are already specifying the clock speed in the example, so that "advantage" is already off the board.

The 6700 has 320.0 GB/s of bandwidth to the PS5's 448 GB/s, so the Wukong example seems perfectly reasonable to me. The PS5's bandwidth is the same as that of the 5700 XT and 2080, shares the bandwith with the CPU, but has other optimizations. In bandwidth-bound scenarios it seems to perform around where the PC parts are (eg. the Miami cutscene of Hitman 3 featuring particle overdraw). So overall the PS5's bandwidth seems "fine" with 448 GB/s available or 12.4 GB/s per CU. While the PS5 Pro using 18GT/s memory would have 576 GB/s available or 9.6 GB/s per CU. The relevant question then is whether we think cutting the available bandwidth by 23% on a per-CU basis is not going to affect performance at all.
That's a good question, but (PSSR) AI upscaling inference is a very compute intensive task for the milliseconds it is running per second, so external bandwidth demands will reduce proportionally because you can't be recursively modifying L1 and L2 GPU caches in that time to maximise compute utilisation and be copying/emptying/refilling those caches to/from unified RAM at the same time.

If anything I would expect that the more Dual issue gets utilised the lower the bandwidth requirement per CU per second.

Last edited:
Top Bottom