• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

DJ12

I doubt it, PS5 was one of the biggest hyped console launches of all time and there wasn't even a single design leak as far as I'm aware.
There was but at the time people thought it was a joke as it was so big.

Some guy holding up one of the panels I seem to remember?

Last edited:

ManaByte

I doubt it, PS5 was one of the biggest hyped console launches of all time and there wasn't even a single design leak as far as I'm aware.

PS5 launched during COVID when the people who would normally leak things were in lockdown. It's amazing how people forget that happened.

The PS5 Slim leaked real early.

ManaByte

So how did the PS5 release during COVID?

Most factories and warehouses had minimal staff depending where they were. Like I said, the people who didn't care about their job and would leak stuff weren't there during COVID to post pictures online for clout.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
For me right now it's basically like PS5 Pro or not, I don't care. I tried to decide on if I really wanted a gaming PC for about 2 months. I was like well first #1. Gaming PC costs more #2. I really don't care about frame rates 30 FPS is fine and that's what consoles have now and 60 to 120 FPS. #3. PC games aren't guaranteed controller support like consoles. Consoles always 100% controller support. #4. I hate customizing the graphics to detail to frame rate to ray tracing to anti aliasing and tons of other low medium high settings and decisions on graphical details to controller support yes or no or partially. #5. I've seen comparison videos of current gen console games and PC graphics don't make the game look any better at all, so sticking with consoles is just way cheaper anyway. ((( I personally think the PS5 Pro will finally be revealed at the Tokyo event by Sony in September. It's like September 16th I think.
Don’t you already have a slim that does all of this? If you don’t care about frame rates about 30 fps and the rest of your list, then I got bad news for you regarding the PS5 Pro.

David B

An Idiot
Don’t you already have a slim that does all of this? If you don’t care about frame rates about 30 fps and the rest of your list, then I got bad news for you regarding the PS5 Pro.
Yeah you must of read my old posts eh? Well like I said I don't care about 30 FPS. That Gotham game is 30 FPS with real 4K. I think it came out pretty dang good! PS5 Pro with 33.5 teraflops will be epic!

Mr.Phoenix

That one was easy. The PS5 design reveal happened in June or so... before the thing even went into mass production. That is the only way they keep stuff like that quiet.

But with things like these, that have a very short turnaround; announce in September and released less than 40 days later... that would mean the thing should be going into mass production around this time. There is no way it doesn't leak... even if it's a pencil sketch of what it looks like from someone on the assembly line.
Specs neither as for as I remember.
We got everything from Sony besides the dev kits pictures.
We got PS5 specs, from test samples or whatever. We just couldn't make much from it or refused to believe what we were getting. We got that the PS5 GPU was still a 36CU thing, but no one believed that. We got that the GPU was clocked over 2Ghz... again, no one believed that....etc.
These PS5 Pro leaks from Tom Henderson, MLiD and DF just seems so strange.
Not really if you ask me... especially when you consider they got info on ven the PS portal, which should have been an easier thing to keep secret than a PS5pro, being that no developer needs to get into anything that has to do with the PS portal. But with the PS5pro... the second you are sending design white papers or dev kits out to thousands of devs... it would be impossible to keep that all quiet. And the same thing happened with the PS4pro, we got the exact same kinda leak, a white paper type thing.

Topher

Gold Member
10.3 to 10.5 PS5. 33.5 PS5 Pro. Or do you just not understand basic English?
decisions don't be a dick GIF

Caio

We do know that the value of 33.5 TFLOPS is only accounted with vopd, which rarely works.
The PS5 Pro boasts a significant hardware upgrade over the standard PS5, particularly with its 33.5 teraflops (TFLOPS) GPU, which is a substantial leap from the base model's 10.28 TFLOPS. This leap is achieved partly through the use of VOPD (Variable-Rate Operations per Data), a technology that enhances processing efficiency by dynamically adjusting the workload on the GPU.

The question of whether future games will fully utilize these advanced capabilities, especially VOPD, is complex. VOPD is particularly effective in scenarios that require heavy parallel processing, such as complex physics simulations or advanced AI operations in games. However, for game developers to make the most of this technology, they will need to design games specifically with the PS5 Pro's hardware in mind.

Historically, mid-generation upgrades like the PS4 Pro saw some adoption by developers, but not all games fully leveraged the enhanced hardware. With the PS5 Pro, the situation might be different because the console is positioned to handle more advanced rendering techniques like improved ray tracing, and potentially even path tracing—features that are becoming more central to next-gen game development.

If developers embrace these technologies, the PS5 Pro could indeed push gaming to new heights, making use of its 33.5 TFLOPS GPU and advanced features like the custom machine learning architecture and PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling (PSSR). However, the extent to which this happens will depend on how widespread the PS5 Pro becomes and whether developers see a large enough audience to justify optimizing their games for these advanced features.
(GamingBolt) (PlayStation Universe) (Tom's Hardware).

All is up to the developers. That's it. The Hardware is there.

winjer

Gold Member
The PS5 Pro boasts a significant hardware upgrade over the standard PS5, particularly with its 33.5 teraflops (TFLOPS) GPU, which is a substantial leap from the base model's 10.28 TFLOPS. This leap is achieved partly through the use of VOPD (Variable-Rate Operations per Data), a technology that enhances processing efficiency by dynamically adjusting the workload on the GPU.

The question of whether future games will fully utilize these advanced capabilities, especially VOPD, is complex. VOPD is particularly effective in scenarios that require heavy parallel processing, such as complex physics simulations or advanced AI operations in games. However, for game developers to make the most of this technology, they will need to design games specifically with the PS5 Pro's hardware in mind.

Historically, mid-generation upgrades like the PS4 Pro saw some adoption by developers, but not all games fully leveraged the enhanced hardware. With the PS5 Pro, the situation might be different because the console is positioned to handle more advanced rendering techniques like improved ray tracing, and potentially even path tracing—features that are becoming more central to next-gen game development.

If developers embrace these technologies, the PS5 Pro could indeed push gaming to new heights, making use of its 33.5 TFLOPS GPU and advanced features like the custom machine learning architecture and PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling (PSSR). However, the extent to which this happens will depend on how widespread the PS5 Pro becomes and whether developers see a large enough audience to justify optimizing their games for these advanced features.

It will take one hell of a compiler to make vopd work as if it's 33.5 TFLOPS. Or anywhere near that.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Cut that TF number in half if you want a good comparison to the PS5

The guy you're responding to is being weird HOWEVER... With how consequential RT and ML upscaling tech has become in gaming, I would argue it still doesn't accurately illustrate how great of a leap it is in real world terms. I chuckled at this slide from HU the other day. RDNA 3 flagship performance in Wukong is sandwiched between 4060 and 4060 ti 8gb cards. We really need to let TF metric go.

KKLnJEB.jpeg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The guy you're responding to is being weird HOWEVER... With how consequential RT and ML upscaling tech has become in gaming, I would argue it still doesn't accurately illustrate how great of a leap it is in real world terms. I chuckled at this slide from HU the other day. RDNA 3 flagship performance in Wukong is sandwiched between 4060 and 4060 ti 8gb cards. We really need to let TF metric go.

KKLnJEB.jpeg
Going to shamelessly quote what I heard about this machine and take note of the dates when I posted them

lrkpAwN.png

EyoQfZd.png

King Dazzar

I'm still going with the 45% real world uptick leaked ages ago. But it does get more complicated when you factor in potential RT improvements and new upscaling tech too.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not that your conclusion is wrong, but AMD's performance in this game is broken. I suspect the freakin' API is at fault. Plus, they haven't released official drivers for it yet. It's Cyberpunk 2077 all over again where ADM GPUs get utterly shafted. You look at the PS5's RT performance in that game and it's quite decent because it's not using a shitass API for ray tracing.

The performance scaling of Black Myth Wukong is all over the place. Maybe it changes in the actual game.

Mr.Phoenix

10.3 to 10.5 PS5. 33.5 PS5 Pro. Or do you just not understand basic English?
You shouldn't be this brash when you are as wrong as you are.
That is not what VOPD means. Or more importantly, not even how it works... where are you getting this shit from?
Again... no. The hint is in the name.

I hope no one listens to you.

Based on pure speculation and rumors, what resolution and frame rate can we expect for a title like FFXVI on the Pro?

Measuring resolution is going to be an interesting point of discussion because of the Pro's ML based upscaling technology PSSR.

I imagine that we could get FFXVI at 1080p upscaled to 4K through PSSR at 60 FPS, maybe with something like ray traced shadows or ambient occlusion. Just a guess though.

Zathalus

Based on pure speculation and rumors, what resolution and frame rate can we expect for a title like FFXVI on the Pro?
In the 60fps performance mode? The base PS5 still drops frames in combat and that drops to 720p, so maybe 900pish with PSSR maybe on top of that to 1440p? That is the worse case, the game tops out at around 1080p so 900p-1200p DRS upscaled to 1440p with PSSR sounds about right.

30fps is basically locked between 1080-1440p so I'd imagine mostly 1440p locked upscaled to 4k with PSSR. Maybe some RT sprinkled on but the game is very heavy on the base hardware.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever

KKLnJEB.jpeg
So this game needs a 4090 to get 60fps at 800p... (I know - it's stupid quality settings but - well, I guess spirit of Crysis settings scaling is alive and well here).

Whatever site you are referencing to come up with this I'd recommend binning it. That VOPD definition is pure comedy.

Last edited:
I'm seeing accounts all over Twitter with tweets saying "PS5 Pro is set to be revealed in the coming weeks", form various Tom, Dick and Harry sources. It's fairly obvious that the Pro would be revealed in the coming weeks just based on Sony's past behaviour, and from what we know about the Pro's release date according to Tom Henderson.

This is going to be a ripe time for fake leaks everywhere, just so everyone is aware.

Imtjnotu

I'm seeing accounts all over Twitter with tweets saying "PS5 Pro is set to be revealed in the coming weeks", form various Tom, Dick and Harry sources. It's fairly obvious that the Pro would be revealed in the coming weeks just based on Sony's past behaviour, and from what we know about the Pro's release date according to Tom Henderson.

This is going to be a ripe time for fake leaks everywhere, just so everyone is aware.
my cousins girlfriend knows a guy whose grandmas cat walked into playstation headquarters in san mateo.

its real

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Loxus

PS5 Pro RT should be around 7800XT / RTX 3070 TI (33 fps), maybe 4060 Ti (38 fps).

PS5 RT isn't better than the 6700 XT (13 fps), and the leak states 2-3 times better, sometimes 4.

3× is most likely the average, which matches this test based on averages.
For example:
12 × 2 = 24 fps (worst case scenario)
12 × 3 = 36 fps (average)
12 × 4 = 48 fps (best case scenario)

Radeon RX 7800 XT reference review
kJiuVua.png

The above benchmark is Full Pathtracing, which properly test RT performance.

Hybrid Raytracing is a bit more reasonable.
22 × 2 = 44 fps (worst case scenario)
22 × 3 = 66 fps (average)
22 × 4 = 88 fps (best case scenario)

Which should put it around 4070 Ti (65 fps), which is a crazy uplift if you think about it. Definitely using RDNA4 RT, which probably gives a ~20% uplift in performance.

Radeon RX 7800 XT reference review
B74PHG0.jpeg

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Zero reasons to release a new console when technology hasn’t evolved as fast as it had in the past. Especially for console manufacturers! CPUs/Gpus have to usually have double to triple performance gains before a new refresh is worth it investment and sales wise.

If ps6 or nextbox can provide 4090 results or 9500x3d cpu speeds while maintaining a 499.99 price point in all for it, but I really feel developers are just now starting to scratch engine optimization and performance on this gen’s consoles.

FYI I understand we ain’t getting 4090 speeds next gen but that’s what I consider a worthy upgrade for a new generation

Last edited:

welshrat

Zero reasons to release a new console when technology hasn’t evolved as fast as it had in the past. Especially for console manufacturers! CPUs/Gpus have to usually have double to triple performance gains before a new refresh is worth it investment and sales wise.

If ps6 or nextbox can provide 4090 results or 9500x3d cpu speeds while maintaining a 499.99 price point in all for it, but I really feel developers are just now starting to scratch engine optimization and performance on this gen’s consoles.

FYI I understand we ain’t getting 4090 speeds next gen but that’s what I consider a worthy upgrade for a new generation
That's fine. However for others that do want new tech and are happy to pay the pro fills that niche. Honestly I will lap this up. I am 47 and want as many graphical upgrades I can get in the next 20 years so that I can enjoy them. Time is moving on and I am happy to pay the money

Top Bottom