• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

PeteBull

Gold Member
Its gonna be 599. No way Sony is interested in losing a lot of money per console sold again.
Its not even that they lost a lot of money on the consoles themselfs, their problem was nasty scalpers who bought milions of consoles and let them stay unused aka not produce revenue/sell games for those.

Zathalus

it's based on final clocks
MLID has been overly optimistic about basically all his AMD predictions in the past. Like how RDNA3 was supposed to have a 7950XTX that was to compete with the 4090. It's perfectly possible the upcoming RDNA4 chip can compete with the 4080, but the 4080 already clocks around 2.85Ghz, has 18% more shaders and 13% faster memory, so that seems rather unlikely.

winjer

Gold Member
MLID has been overly optimistic about basically all his AMD predictions in the past. Like how RDNA3 was supposed to have a 7950XTX that was to compete with the 4090. It's perfectly possible the upcoming RDNA4 chip can compete with the 4080, but the 4080 already clocks around 2.85Ghz, has 18% more shaders and 13% faster memory, so that seems rather unlikely.

Curious how MLID has lied so many times, for so many years, but there are still people willing to believe him, because he got a couple of things right.

SolidQ

MLID has been overly optimistic about basically all his AMD predictions in the past
That from kepler - Clock target (as of a few months ago) was 3.46 GHz, which would put N48 at 56.69 TFlops, right inbetween 7900XT (51.48) and 7900 XTX (61.39). Although if MLID is right they missed clock targets yet again, so I would expect perf to land closer to 7900 XT.
And you should know 4080 sitting between 7900XT and 7900XTX so nothing suprise me

Like how RDNA3 was supposed to have a 7950XTX that was to compete with the 4090
it's not only mlid, every leaker was miss it, because AMD failed with clocks

Last edited:

Tqaulity

This leak proves once again that PS5 Pro is basically an underclocked Navi 48 with 4 less active CUs for yields and no Infinity Cache
Right, the question is how much is the underclock. For the record I've never believed the "leaked" clock speed specs as they never made sense. I think either A) They were old and outdated by the time they were leaked to the public or B) That Sony intentionally planted them to mislead folks assuming that they would be leaked (similar to what MLID says AMD did for RDNA 4). Either way, the idea of releasing a Pro console with 0% clock speed increase (not counting a optional 10% boost) seemed pretty far fetched.

IF the PC Navi48 card is able to hit 2.9Ghz-3.2Ghz, I would think that the Pro should end up in the 2.4Ghz -2.6 Ghz range (assuming the same 4nm manufacturing process and a 10-20% downclock). With 60CUs that would put the Pro in the 36.5 - 40TFLOP range. For reference, the 7800XT is 37TFLOPS and the 7900GRE is 46TFLOPs. BUT DON"T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE TFLOP numbers though as there is much more to the performance and in real world scenarios, the 7900GRE is only 10-15% faster than a 7800XT in most cases.

More importantly, that level of raster performance should actually be ~2x the base PS5 (actual game performance) and on par with a 6900XT/4070Super (which was always the target from the earliest leaks years ago). I know it seems optimistic on the surface but again unless something is really wrong with the clocks or the manufacturing process is still unchanged from the base PS5 (unlikely), this is actually pretty reasonable if not a bit conservative given the investment in the superior cooling solution in the base PS5.

Bojji

Right, the question is how much is the underclock. For the record I've never believed the "leaked" clock speed specs as they never made sense. I think either A) They were old and outdated by the time they were leaked to the public or B) That Sony intentionally planted them to mislead folks assuming that they would be leaked (similar to what MLID says AMD did for RDNA 4). Either way, the idea of releasing a Pro console with 0% clock speed increase (not counting a optional 10% boost) seemed pretty far fetched.

IF the PC Navi48 card is able to hit 2.9Ghz-3.2Ghz, I would think that the Pro should end up in the 2.4Ghz -2.6 Ghz range (assuming the same 4nm manufacturing process and a 10-20% downclock). With 60CUs that would put the Pro in the 36.5 - 40TFLOP range. For reference, the 7800XT is 37TFLOPS and the 7900GRE is 46TFLOPs. BUT DON"T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE TFLOP numbers though as there is much more to the performance and in real world scenarios, the 7900GRE is only 10-15% faster than a 7800XT in most cases.

More importantly, that level of raster performance should actually be ~2x the base PS5 (actual game performance) and on par with a 6900XT/4070Super (which was always the target from the earliest leaks years ago). I know it seems optimistic on the surface but again unless something is really wrong with the clocks or the manufacturing process is still unchanged from the base PS5 (unlikely), this is actually pretty reasonable if not a bit conservative given the investment in the superior cooling solution in the base PS5.

PS5 pro is said to be (confirmed leaks) 45% better than PS5. Stop overhyping it.

RDNA3 and RDNA4 maximum clocks don't matter for power limited console, they can't just set it to draw 350W.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So the thing we all tend to forget is that with consoles developers can get a lot more from the tools and it being a closed system. If it can get close to pc 4080 levels that’s a massive win for consoles and with coding to the metal and api/tools/driver optimizations games will look and play fantastic.

Zathalus

So the thing we all tend to forget is that with consoles developers can get a lot more from the tools and it being a closed system. If it can get close to pc 4080 levels that’s a massive win for consoles and with coding to the metal and api/tools/driver optimizations games will look and play fantastic.
This is referring to the AMD PC Card, not the Pro.

Radical_3d

PS5 a good 1080p machine, Pro a decent 1440p machine considering 60 fps.
That’s all I’m asking for. A 1440p machine that has something to upscale that to 4K and save me from FSR. Is that too much to ask?

Also a good 1080p upscaled to 1440p machine for UE5 titles that demands more than a war reparation.

After having PS5 and a Steam Deck and playing 95% on the latter I don’t care in the slightest for PS5Pro. Sooner I would get a more powerful handheld.

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

The same leak everyone is quoting for 45% also stated Pro taking 1080p@60 perf to1440p@60 fidelity settings.
Even without the improved upscaling & Raytracing - that makes Pro a better 1440p machine than PS5 1080p...

Going from 1080p FSR2 to 1440p PSSR (if it is as good as newer implementation of XeSS) is going to be glorious. I'm playing Diablo 4 and MW3 (at 120 FPS) and they look so blurry, it is really bad.

b0uncyfr0

That’s all I’m asking for. A 1440p machine that has something to upscale that to 4K and save me from FSR. Is that too much ask?
To be fair, if the older releases were redon with FSR 3 and even frame generation - it'd be a whole different ball game.

FSR 3 doesn't work miracles, but it's worlds apart from 1 and much better than 2

Radical_3d

To be fair, if the older releases were redon with FSR 3 and even frame generation - it'd be a whole different ball game.

FSR 3 doesn't work miracles, but it's worlds apart from 1 and much better than 2
It’s still a pixel fest. I’m not asking for nVidia or Appe level of quality. Just something not super bad.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What do we know of the PSSR upscaling tech? Any better than the competition?

The competition as in AMD FSR ???

Put it this way: Why would Sony create custom upscaling solution for worse, equal, or even marginally better results than FSR? I personally think there's a chance it will often yield better results than DLSS but hey we're already at the end of August is we'll have plenty answers in a few short weeks.

Radical_3d

Not to sure but we have this.
AzLx6BJ.jpeg
That image of Ratchet staying still is worth nothing. FSR is atrocious when movement is involved, that it is always in video games unless you play like an E3 demo.
fsr-2-2-vs-xess-1-3-vs-dlss-3-7-digital-foundry-v0-81ijt78nhvuc1.jpeg

This image is better to see how awful it is and even so it’s compressed. Watching the original on my 65” with the digital foundry YouTube video made my eyes bleed.

Loxus

That image of Ratchet staying still is worth nothing. FSR is atrocious when movement is involved, that it is always in video games unless you play like an E3 demo.
fsr-2-2-vs-xess-1-3-vs-dlss-3-7-digital-foundry-v0-81ijt78nhvuc1.jpeg

This image is better to see how awful it is and even so it’s compressed. Watching the original on my 65” with the digital foundry YouTube video made my eyes bleed.
Dude asked a question and I gave him literally the only comparison we have.

Ashamam

Dude asked a question and I gave him literally the only comparison we have.
True, but you probably should have added the context.

1. Still image is not anything like a substitute for looking at upscaling in motion.
2. Leaker made a point of saying don't use this for serious comparison. Even as a still image Its not a clean take by any measure. (to the point he may have run it through filters to ensure it could hold no security watermarks)

Last edited:

shamoomoo

The competition as in AMD FSR ???

Put it this way: Why would Sony create custom upscaling solution for worse, equal, or even marginally better results than FSR? I personally think there's a chance it will often yield better results than DLSS but hey we're already at the end of August is we'll have plenty answers in a few short weeks.
Yeah. Sony had MLAA on the PS3 and Insomniac, Naughty Dog use TAA, checkerboard rendering on the PS4/Pro, there's a history of AA/upscaling techniques with Sony.

Loxus

I know. I know. But I just wanted to make clear the level of pixelation we’re coming from.

1. Still image is not anything like a substitute for looking at upscaling in motion.
2. Leaker made a point of saying don't use this for serious comparison. Even as a still image Its not a clean take by any measure. (to the point he may have run it through filters to ensure it could hold no security watermarks)
I think you guy are taking this way to serious.

The point of the image, is it's giving us a glimpse of what to expect.

It's a leak, it was never meant to be a crystal clear 4k video.

Ashamam

I think you guy are taking this way to serious.
Huh? Its not about us, its about the information you are giving someone else, the point being just linking the image leaves out a ton of context. Someone fresh to this could easily come away thinking whats the big deal, when all the image does is give some certainty that PSSR actually exists, rather than what it looks like.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Wait until you see Call of Duty MP running at 120 fps

I mean I guess it will look decent

;)

sachos

What are the chances it can do Wukong at 4K PSSR Balanced Cinematic + RT @ 30fps. You think people would be hyped with that or would they laugh at it still being just 30 fps?

Top Bottom