• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Zero reasons to release a new console when technology hasn’t evolved as fast as it had in the past. Especially for console manufacturers! CPUs/Gpus have to usually have double to triple performance gains before a new refresh is worth it investment and sales wise.

If ps6 or nextbox can provide 4090 results or 9500x3d cpu speeds while maintaining a 499.99 price point in all for it, but I really feel developers are just now starting to scratch engine optimization and performance on this gen’s consoles.

FYI I understand we ain’t getting 4090 speeds next gen but that’s what I consider a worthy upgrade for a new generation
Oh there are plenty of reasons to release one and they start with Black Ops 6 and go to GTA6 and getting the best console experience for every game in between

But sounds like zero reasons for you to upgrade now though

PS5 Pro RT should be around 7800XT / RTX 3070 TI (33 fps), maybe 4060 Ti (38 fps).

PS5 RT isn't better than the 6700 XT (13 fps), and the leak states 2-3 times better, sometimes 4.

3× is most likely the average, which matches this test based on averages.
For example:
12 × 2 = 24 fps (worst case scenario)
12 × 3 = 36 fps (average)
12 × 4 = 48 fps (best case scenario)

Radeon RX 7800 XT reference review
kJiuVua.png

The above benchmark is Full Pathtracing, which properly test RT performance.

Hybrid Raytracing is a bit more reasonable.
22 × 2 = 44 fps (worst case scenario)
22 × 3 = 66 fps (average)
22 × 4 = 88 fps (best case scenario)

Which should put it around 4070 Ti (65 fps), which is a crazy uplift if you think about it. Definitely using RDNA4 RT, which probably gives a ~20% uplift in performance.

B74PHG0.jpeg
This is completely meaningless as not one game will have full pathtracing on PS5 Pro. Full pathtracing will be for PS6.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PS5 Pro RT should be around 7800XT / RTX 3070 TI (33 fps), maybe 4060 Ti (38 fps).

PS5 RT isn't better than the 6700 XT (13 fps), and the leak states 2-3 times better, sometimes 4.

3× is most likely the average, which matches this test based on averages.
For example:
12 × 2 = 24 fps (worst case scenario)
12 × 3 = 36 fps (average)
12 × 4 = 48 fps (best case scenario)

kJiuVua.png

The above benchmark is Full Pathtracing, which properly test RT performance.

Hybrid Raytracing is a bit more reasonable.
22 × 2 = 44 fps (worst case scenario)
22 × 3 = 66 fps (average)
22 × 4 = 88 fps (best case scenario)

Which should put it around 4070 Ti (65 fps), which is a crazy uplift if you think about it. Definitely using RDNA4 RT, which probably gives a ~20% uplift in performance.

B74PHG0.jpeg

Yeah unfortunately these benchmarks (even the hybrid RT benchmark) are way too academic and fall outside of scope for real world performance of actual games, which is what the 2x-4x RT Sony leaks were referencing. That is why base PS5 can perform better than 2070S coupled with a ryzen 3600 cpu in a hybrid rt game such as SM miles morales. When you recall that decompression and additional significant overhead is still at play for PC, it bodes well for PS5 Pro end to end performance in RT games compared to PC.

Perrott

They are using RT for lighting and shadows mate. That the reason the framerate sucks even at 720p
No, they actually aren't. They utilized alternative, non-RT methods to achieve those incredibly sophisticated shadows and scene lighting.

Now, those techniques and workarounds could still be expensive enough to, to your point, totally sink the resolution during combat encounters - which is when the game makes it a priority to hit or get as close to 60fps at any cost.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
They are using RT for lighting and shadows mate. That the reason the framerate sucks even at 720p

Nope. "Just" very expensive rasterized shadows. Don't get me wrong, it was executed amazingly well and deserves high praise all the same. At the end of the day it's the results that matter. I was so impressed I created the thread below.

FFXVI main issue as a 30fps game is it's reliance on shit FSR 1. I can only begin to imagine how beautiful it will be at 1440p+ internal res upscaled and antialiased via PSSR. Waiting on PS5 Pro for second playthrough and catch up on DLC content.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
That's fine. However for others that do want new tech and are happy to pay the pro fills that niche. Honestly I will lap this up. I am 47 and want as many graphical upgrades I can get in the next 20 years so that I can enjoy them. Time is moving on and I am happy to pay the money
I’m buying the pro day one I’m with you man, I’m saying for next gen ps6 there needs to be a major uptick in hardware to create one, and that’s what I’m waiting for before getting next gen. Ps5 pro is needed because we can’t get 4k/60 even in most games

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Oh there are plenty of reasons to release one and they start with Black Ops 6 and go to GTA6 and getting the best console experience for every game in between

But sounds like zero reasons for you to upgrade now though
I’m getting ps5 pro 100% I mean for the ps6 I want to see a big update. I know spec bumps sell but with a pc now also it’s hard to justify micro improvements

Frwrd

i just wish they say its real its coming in 2024 and we will see at tgs in a tweet.
Some people still asking themselves when the announcement will be; shit I don't GAF(lol) when they announce 'the announcement'.

According to Google: "The 2024 Tokyo Game Show dates are: September 26 and 27 for businesses only; September 28 and 29 for the general public."

That's where and when I'll be tuning in!

Praise the fucking sun!

Tqaulity

Based on pure speculation and rumors, what resolution and frame rate can we expect for a title like FFXVI on the Pro?
Ok high level targets on the base are:
- Quality Mode: 1440p/30fps*
- Performance Mode: 1080p/60fps*

More details with DRS accounted for on the base PS5:
- Graphics mode DRS: 1920x1080 - 3072x1728
- Perf Mode DRS: (In combat) 1344x756 - 1728x972 | (Non-Combat) 1920x1080.
*note that these are internal resolutions. FSR1 is used to upscale everything to 4K

For the Pro, here what I think is possible:
Quality Mode Settings with a DRS range at 1080p - 1440p (internally) reconstructed to 4K/60fps with PSSR. This equates to a PSSR Performance - Quality mode for the reconstruction.

It remains to be seen how developers leverage the pro in terms of graphical modes etc but in many cases I don't see the point of having separate quality and perf modes IF PSSR is used. Technically, the Pro should be able to take the current perf mode and add the quality mode settings while increasing the internal resolution a bit. But ultimately, the result here would be a HUGE upgrade for 2 main reasons:
  1. A general 60fps experience with more consistent performance
  2. Getting rid of the atrocious FSR1 upscaling for the ML based PSSR!!!

Last edited:

Crayon

With the way cross gen is changing (lengthening), I might get on the pro cycle and skip the launch ones. If I see something amazing on a ps6 launch then I can get it, but it seems like the safer bet to just buy pro's.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
With the way cross gen is changing (lengthening), I might get on the pro cycle and skip the launch ones. If I see something amazing on a ps6 launch then I can get it, but it seems like the safer bet to just buy pro's.
Can see why but I dunno man, it'll be hard to ignore what would be a significant performance jump that the 6 would have over a 5pro, when you think of the PC GFX space, those madlads are upgrading every 2yrs, so upgrading a console every 4yrs for half the price of a mid range GFX card doesn't seem that bad

Imtjnotu

Ok high level targets on the base are:
- Quality Mode: 1440p/30fps*
- Performance Mode: 1080p/60fps*

More details with DRS accounted for on the base PS5:
- Graphics mode DRS: 1920x1080 - 3072x1728
- Perf Mode DRS: (In combat) 1344x756 - 1728x972 | (Non-Combat) 1920x1080.
*note that these are internal resolutions. FSR1 is used to upscale everything to 4K

For the Pro, here what I think is possible:
Quality Mode Settings with a DRS range: 1080p - 1440p (internally) reconstructed to 4K with PSSR. This equates to a PSSR Performance - Quality mode for the reconstruction.

It remains to be seen how developers leverage the pro in terms of graphical modes etc but in many cases I don't see the point of having separate quality and perf modes IF PSSR is used. Technically, the Pro should be able to take the current perf mode and add the quality mode settings while increasing the internal resolution a bit. But ultimately, the result here would be a HUGE upgrade for 2 main reasons:
  1. A general 60fps experience with more consistent performance
  2. Getting rid of the atrocious FSR1 upscaling for the ML based PSSR!!!
ill take anything over FSR at this point.

Crayon

Can see why but I dunno man, it'll be hard to ignore what would be a significant performance jump that the 6 would have over a 5pro, when you think of the PC GFX space, those madlads are upgrading every 2yrs, so upgrading a console every 4yrs for half the price of a mid range GFX card doesn't seem that bad

Here's the strat:
During the cross-gen period, the ps6 will run the hell out of those games. But the ps5 pro will too, because the games will have to target regs ps5. By the time games of the ps6 gen are pushing that console, there will be a pro to give plenty of overhead, repeat.

The biggest downside would be periods where there are next-gen only games, but the pro is not out yet. Could be mitigated by having a pc, but as you said, a new gpu that significantly outperforms a console is like the whole price of a console so that is moot.

If they sho ps6 or ps7 or whatever, and there is something about it, hardware or software, that I have to have... I'll buy it and my strategy failed. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Perrott

Hideo Kojima has teased a new unannounced member of the Death Stranding 2 cast today (which already is tomorrow in Japan), coinciding with the opening ceremony of GamesCom hosted by Geoff Keighley.

It is worth noting that the last time he did this exact tease game (posting "Who Am I?", "Where Am I?" and "What I Am?" teases for DS2 cast members Elle Fanning, Shioli Kutsuna and Léa Seydoux) coinciding with videogame events (TGS, PGW and something else) throughout the fall of 2022, we got the very first DS2 trailer some weeks after, at The Game Awards in December.

So with him starting this soon in the year this time around, I think its safe to expect that the release date trailer for the game would debut sometime in September, either at the PlayStation Showcase or Tokyo Games Show running on PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

realcool

Hideo Kojima has teased a new unannounced member of the Death Stranding 2 cast today (which already is tomorrow in Japan), coinciding with the opening ceremony of GamesCom hosted by Geoff Keighley.

It is worth noting that the last time he did this exact tease game (posting "Who Am I?", "Where Am I?" and "What I Am?" teases for DS2 cast members Elle Fanning, Shioli Kutsuna and Léa Seydoux) coinciding with videogame events (TGS, PGW and something else) throughout the fall of 2022, we got the very first DS2 trailer some weeks after, at The Game Awards in December.

So with him starting this soon in the year this time around, I think its safe to expect that the release date trailer for the game would debut sometime in September, either at the PlayStation Showcase or Tokyo Games Show running on PS5 Pro.

Little Mac

Gold Member

That asshole Jeff Keighley.

Video Games GIF by The Game Awards

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Yeah really don't want to see this until its running on the Pro

Poordevil

That is what I did this gen. I picked up a PS4 Pro because I had upgraded my TV to a 4K HDR display. I really wanted to get the most out of it, so I picked up a 4pro. When the PS5 launched I stuck with it. The big reason was the scalping going on. By the time the PS5 became available I had decided to hang tight for the mid gen refresh.
Well, it's been a long wait. I really don't think it has been worth it. How often does an upgraded Playstation console come out? We are talking years. So skipping out on one of those rare opportunities is a big deal. Especially for 5 or 6 hundred bucks.
My new plan is to buy this PS5 Pro and when the time comes to snag a PS6 I'll upgrade, and I'm talking sooner rather than later. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Just played the Final Fantasy XVI Demo on Steam and yes, now is the time to release a PS5 Pro, PC graphics are far beyond the current gen consoles as they are, a game PS5 struggles to hit 60fps in with a muddy 1440p using FSR is 4k native at 144fps on my PC and it looks glorious.

Loxus

Yeah unfortunately these benchmarks (even the hybrid RT benchmark) are way too academic and fall outside of scope for real world performance of actual games, which is what the 2x-4x RT Sony leaks were referencing. That is why base PS5 can perform better than 2070S coupled with a ryzen 3600 cpu in a hybrid rt game such as SM miles morales. When you recall that decompression and additional significant overhead is still at play for PC, it bodes well for PS5 Pro end to end performance in RT games compared to PC.
PS5 RT is not better that the 2070S.
There's enough info on the internet that you should know this.

The graph is still valid as it still shows to gauge RT performance.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

So close yet so far away, all it would take is a RTX 4070 for full path tracing, if Pro could match that it could do full PT no problem with AI upscaling
But I expect it to be closer to a 4060Ti
Same kind of person who believes the PS6 will NOT even hit a 4090 in power level. A console that is supposed to last nearly into the mid-late 2030's will be weaker then a GPU that came out in 2022.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PS5 RT is not better that the 2070S.
There's enough info on the internet that you should know this.

The graph is still valid as it still shows to gauge RT performance.
He said "can perform better" than a 2070S paired with a 3600, and he’s correct.

Last edited:
Same kind of person who believes the PS6 will NOT even hit a 4090 in power level.

If it gets released in 2028, it's entirely possible. Keep in mind Sony doesn't seem very interested in going that high in power draw.

I expect the PS5 Pro to not draw that much more than the standard model, hence the throttling rumors.

SonGoku

Same kind of person who believes the PS6 will NOT even hit a 4090 in power level. A console that is supposed to last nearly into the mid-late 2030's will be weaker then a GPU that came out in 2022.
You misunderstood my post...
I said PS5 Pro is so close to Full Path tracing if only it would match a RTX 4070 but going by rumors so far it looks like it will fall short with it being closer to a 4060Ti hence my comment close yet so far away

PS6 i definitely expect it to match and exceed the 4090 in some areas

Last edited:

Tqaulity

So now that we're seeing more of the heavy hitting releases coming out this year, it got me thinking of some key titles that will shine on the upcoming PS5 Pro. We're seeing heavy UE5 titles and PC ports of several console exclusives so I think the story of the PS5 Pro value is becoming more clear. I just want to reiterate that one of the biggest boons of the PS5 Pro is PSSR replacing the often atrocious IQ from FSR on console. That alone should be huge as FSR has legit killed IQ in several console ports. Combine that with 60-120fps in those titles and console gamers should be able to have much better experiences with some of these latest titles.

So people questioning the "launch titles" for PS5 Pro, here are some titles I think will shine brightest on a Pro if it launches this year:
  • Black Myth: Wukong
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 6
  • Spider Man 2
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Elden Ring
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Rise of the Ronan
  • Stellar Blade
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (+Phantom Liberty)
  • Jedi Survivor
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • The Last of Us Pt1 & 2
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Neo Berlin 2087
  • Helldivers II
  • Fortnite (UE5)
  • GT7
  • Returnal
  • Rachet and Clank Rift Apart
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • A Plague's Tale: Requiem
  • Indiana Jones (rumored)
Of course that list isn't every title that will have PS5 Pro benefits but just some that I feel will benefit most. Seems like plenty of solid titles to try out on Day 1! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Zathalus

Interesting MLID leaks on RDNA 4:

BYCvURG.jpeg

Looking at the specs, 4080 is overly optimistic, 4070 Ti Super-7900XT in rasterization seems more likely. 7900XT like performance was already leaked by more reliable sources. It would be a great card for 499 though.

David B

An Idiot
This leak proves once again that PS5 Pro is basically an underclocked Navi 48 with 4 less active CUs for yields and no Infinity Cache
Underclocked? They are overclocking the CPU up a bit, but that's all on the CPU, The GPU is 10.2 tf right now. It's been said it will go to 20, 23, or even 33.5. So basically a Nvidia 4070 to 4070 Ti Super. With 10.2 it was ordeal with a Nvidia 3060.

Underclocked? They are overclocking the CPU up a bit, but that's all on the CPU, The GPU is 10.2 tf right now. It's been said it will go to 20, 23, or even 33.5. So basically a Nvidia 4070 to 4070 Ti Super. With 10.2 it was ordeal with a Nvidia 3060.

Of course it's underclocked. The console can't reach 3 Ghz GPU Boost Clock

There's a power limit you know....

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Underclocked? They are overclocking the CPU up a bit, but that's all on the CPU,

Zen2 normal clocks hover at 4Ghz. That means the CPU in both the PS5 and the Pro are underclocked.

The GPU is 10.2 tf right now. It's been said it will go to 20, 23, or even 33.5. So basically a Nvidia 4070 to 4070 Ti Super. With 10.2 it was ordeal with a Nvidia 3060.

TFLOPs are not clock speed. TFLOPs are a metric calculated by multiplying clock speeds X ops per clock cycle X shader units.

Top Bottom