• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Unknown?

Just played the Final Fantasy XVI Demo on Steam and yes, now is the time to release a PS5 Pro, PC graphics are far beyond the current gen consoles as they are, a game PS5 struggles to hit 60fps in with a muddy 1440p using FSR is 4k native at 144fps on my PC and it looks glorious.
Better resolution and framerate is far beyond? Used to be there was other improvements.

Katajx

Still don’t see this selling at much of a premium especially considering the PS4 pro didn’t exactly sell gangbusters. It even launched at the base PS4’s price of $399.

Considering the rumored specs and less of a hardware jump on top of that….I can’t see them attempting higher than $599. That’s already pushing it.

bender

What time is it?
But remember: the PS5 Pro is for professionals.
face-palm-shake-my-head.gif

David B

An Idiot
Zero reasons to release a new console when technology hasn’t evolved as fast as it had in the past. Especially for console manufacturers! CPUs/Gpus have to usually have double to triple performance gains before a new refresh is worth it investment and sales wise.

If ps6 or nextbox can provide 4090 results or 9500x3d cpu speeds while maintaining a 499.99 price point in all for it, but I really feel developers are just now starting to scratch engine optimization and performance on this gen’s consoles.

FYI I understand we ain’t getting 4090 speeds next gen but that’s what I consider a worthy upgrade for a new generation
Which brings me to my other analysis of what may happen in the future. Sony may release a custom UNIX OS of there own to buy out in public in stores and say we welcome you to buy our OS to continue playing PlayStation. I say this because it seems like the future may be stuck on computers. Just look at the graphics now. And if they go on a level of 4090 graphics than woooooooooooooooooooooooooo we gonna just be buying PCs at that point. So I would think Sony would go buy our UNIX OS PlayStation for your PC today and we will make it easy to install with instructions on how to do so with the software package. And of course Microsoft would just go here's Windows 12, buy a new PC. Nintendo would just keep making weak consoles of course.

Which brings me to my other analysis of what may happen in the future.

Sony may release a custom UNIX OS of there own to buy out in public in stores and say we welcome you to buy our OS to continue playing PlayStation.

So I would think Sony would go buy our UNIX OS PlayStation for your PC today and we will make it easy to install with instructions on how to do so with the software package.

Animated GIF

laughing GIF

Animated GIF

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
After having PS5 and a Steam Deck and playing 95% on the latter I don’t care in the slightest for PS5Pro. Sooner I would get a more powerful handheld.
I have 2 (significantly) more powerful handhelds and I'm still interested in the Pro. 🤷‍♀️

Admittedly - I also owned 2 PS4 Pros so I may have a bit of a problem with revisions (the second was the 500M limited edition, to be fair).

King Dazzar

I think you guy are taking this way to serious.

The point of the image, is it's giving us a glimpse of what to expect.

It's a leak, it was never meant to be a crystal clear 4k video.
I appreciated the pic. Whilst it doesn't show how motion is being handled. What it does show us is that its already producing a noticeably sharper and more detailed image than FSR before seeing it in motion. For me its useful and I think positive. Thanks for sharing.

Bojji

I forget.

So assuming that 17-18TF rumour is true with some better RT and whatever, PS5 Pro could safely do 1440p/60 with high end visuals and RT?

For many (most?) games, sure. For those that operate ~720p already difference in power is too small, maybe 1080p with PSSR? If it's close in quality to DLSS this setup will look quite good on 4K screen.

jm89

Not a chance it's $699.

It will be $599 max.

The audience for expensive consoles is small, I'm sure Sony don't want this thing cratering sale wise after the first few months after enthusiasts have bought it.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Which brings me to my other analysis of what may happen in the future. Sony may release a custom UNIX OS of there own to buy out in public in stores and say we welcome you to buy our OS to continue playing PlayStation. I say this because it seems like the future may be stuck on computers. Just look at the graphics now. And if they go on a level of 4090 graphics than woooooooooooooooooooooooooo we gonna just be buying PCs at that point. So I would think Sony would go buy our UNIX OS PlayStation for your PC today and we will make it easy to install with instructions on how to do so with the software package. And of course Microsoft would just go here's Windows 12, buy a new PC. Nintendo would just keep making weak consoles of course.
This is ridiculously short-sighted... but I am not going to ridicule you for it. It also shows you have a gross lack of understanding on what makes consoles necessary or what is the value of a console. Well... that or you are just being disingenuous.

Anyway... the default option will never be to just go PC because there will always be a place for consoles. Or another way to put it, as long as Sony can make a gaming-focused box, that retails for $5-600, and has a power draw of 2-300W... that would always be cheaper, and give you more performance than whatever you can get from a PC at that same price point at the time of its release. And it would continue having the better price-to-performance value proposition for as long as the box is on the market because Sony would never let it get to a point where you can build a PC for that amount of less, and end up with a more powerful box.

So a more accurate way to look at what you have said, is that by the time we can have a 4090 level GPU and a 12-16 core CPU in a "console" for under $600 and pulling under 300W... there would be a "PC" that cost $2400... and has got 2-3 times that power.

I don't the PS5 Pro launching this year if at all. All we're getting from SONY this year is Astrobot and I doubt that will need the crunt of a Pro to run and look good.
Maybe SONY will launch the Pro when Death Standing 2 is really to be shown off next year or something

David B

An Idiot
This is ridiculously short-sighted... but I am not going to ridicule you for it. It also shows you have a gross lack of understanding on what makes consoles necessary or what is the value of a console. Well... that or you are just being disingenuous.

Anyway... the default option will never be to just go PC because there will always be a place for consoles. Or another way to put it, as long as Sony can make a gaming-focused box, that retails for $5-600, and has a power draw of 2-300W... that would always be cheaper, and give you more performance than whatever you can get from a PC at that same price point at the time of its release. And it would continue having the better price-to-performance value proposition for as long as the box is on the market because Sony would never let it get to a point where you can build a PC for that amount of less, and end up with a more powerful box.

So a more accurate way to look at what you have said, is that by the time we can have a 4090 level GPU and a 12-16 core CPU in a "console" for under $600 and pulling under 300W... there would be a "PC" that cost $2400... and has got 2-3 times that power.
I think we're at the point where graphics won't get any better. Sure I heard about the 5000 series from Nvidia for next year. But really, I think about 150 to 200 teraflops is gonna be the final point and than they can't get any better. They have to create power sources like 2000 to 3000 units!

Mr.Phoenix

I think we're at the point where graphics won't get any better. Sure I heard about the 5000 series from Nvidia for next year. But really, I think about 150 to 200 teraflops is gonna be the final point and than they can't get any better. They have to create power sources like 2000 to 3000 units!
This is said every gen... but even if we assume this time, its true, and we are at that point... then that spells trouble for PCs... not consoles.

Because if graphics no longer get better on a hardware level, then what will happen is that the cost of that hardware will fall. A price is the only way they can compete and differentiate themselves. But as far as PCs go, PC OEMs must make a profit on every piece of hardware sold, whereas, console manufacturers can always subsidize their hardware.

Anyways... we are not there yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This is said every gen... but even if we assume this time, its true, and we are at that point... then that spells trouble for PCs... not consoles.
Well - it sort of spells trouble for all of us - if it happens, that will be the tipping point where Cloud will finally start to become commercially viable.
And once that's the case - we all better get used to laggy games, because it's where all the money will go.

Last edited:
Hideo Kojima has teased a new unannounced member of the Death Stranding 2 cast today (which already is tomorrow in Japan), coinciding with the opening ceremony of GamesCom hosted by Geoff Keighley.

It is worth noting that the last time he did this exact tease game (posting "Who Am I?", "Where Am I?" and "What I Am?" teases for DS2 cast members Elle Fanning, Shioli Kutsuna and Léa Seydoux) coinciding with videogame events (TGS, PGW and something else) throughout the fall of 2022, we got the very first DS2 trailer some weeks after, at The Game Awards in December.

So with him starting this soon in the year this time around, I think its safe to expect that the release date trailer for the game would debut sometime in September, either at the PlayStation Showcase or Tokyo Games Show running on PS5 Pro.

Indeed. Kojima has a very good relationship with Cerny. I wouldn't be surprised if DS2 is used as a hardware showcase for PS5 Pro + Decima engine with RT. Death Stranding was already running like a dream (3060/3070) on PS5. I think DS2 could be an impressive benchmark for PS5 Pro RT enabled games. It could reach 4070 RT levels. I can't wait to see NXgamer (a real objective journalist) take on this.

digdug2

In terms of the general gaming public, I would potentially agree.

But remember: the PS5 Pro is for professionals.

Much like reputable chefs who have to spend premium prices for premium equipment, this is the exact same scenario.

You poor casuals need not apply.
Wait, so I need to be a professional chef to buy this?

Damn, these consoles are getting to be niche.

Last edited:
Well - it sort of spells trouble for all of us - if it happens, that will be the tipping point where Cloud will finally start to become commercially viable.
And once that's the case - we all better get used to laggy games, because it's where all the money will go.
Isn't the money there mainly in games with lower input lag? >=60fps games on consoles and higher FPS on PC? I still think Wow was so good to play because of how well they managed the latency between server and client (compared to others MMORPH I played). And obviously there is COD which is textbook responsive gameplay. Nintendo is mostly thriving on 60fps responsive gameplay since forever.

Cloud could be litteraly the future with satellite networks like Starlink when the latency become more consistent and lower which could happen sooner than most people think.

demigod

Betting it will be $699 now. Cheaper than 4070ti super.

With the $599 SX and rising costs of chips thanks to AI

Will you buy one if so?
It's always the Sony haters with the ridiculous takes. 0 Chance msrp is $699. You really comparing the shit that is the $599 SX to a PS5 Pro, lol. Anyone buying the SX at that price deserves to be mocked. It'll be $400 by Black Friday.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Isn't the money there mainly in games with lower input lag? >=60fps games on consoles and higher FPS on PC?
Well - if everyone is playing at worse latencies, noone has the advantage 🤷‍♀️ I was of course being facetious - but the point is server rendered content has an endemic latency built in (encode/decode) even if transmission time was 0 (which it's not). If networks become 100% reliable we could eliminate most of it by switching to a scanline/block based compression codec - but I don't know if we'll see that in our lifetimes.
And of course you have double roundtrip since inputs have to be sent to the server too.

I still think Wow was so good to play because of how well they managed the latency between server and client
Wow was mostly client authoritative so that kept latency low at the cost of well - being insanely exploitable.

Cloud could be litteraly the future with satellite networks like Starlink when the latency become more consistent and lower which could happen sooner than most people think.
I use GFNow less than a km away from the datacenter with 1Gb/s wired link and latency is still very different from local play. Yes it's stable - but I would never use it for latency sensitive games, as long as any other option exists.
My point was though that cloud isn't the future because financials don't work, and that won't likely change until hw stops advancing (as other post alluded to).

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
But seriously, the PS5 Pro should give a stable 4K / 60 fps for Dragon Quest XII.
I can't wait to see it in action!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nothing new in this article but hoping we get a few more like this because not the first place I heard Devs were openly talking about the Pro there

https://wccftech.com/ps5-pro-was-an-open-secret-at-gamescom-2024/

The existence of the PS5 Pro was long discussed throughout 2024 thanks to various leaks and rumors, but the latest State of Play that aired in late May didn't feature any announcement for the new hardware. With Summer drawing to a close soon, some fans wondered whether the more powerful PlayStation 5 iteration had been delayed. However, at the Gamescom 2024 that's being held this week in Cologne, developers started talking.

In a recent live stream, the Italian website Multiplayer mentioned that it had heard from a developer that they had delayed their game due to the upcoming launch of the PS5 Pro. I can confirm that I heard something similar during one of my appointments at Gamescom 2024.

Without even being prodded by me at all, a developer that I won't name openly said they had received the specs of the PS5 Pro and were confident that Unreal Engine 5 would run much better on the new hardware compared to the regular PlayStation 5. Considering the circumstances revealed by Multiplayer, I'm positive this is not the same developer they talked to. Moreover, the studio I heard it from is not at all a big one, which makes it clear the hardware's specifications and details are already in the hands of a large number of game makers.

As such, it is reasonable to assume an official announcement is near. Looking at the PS4 Pro, the console was announced on September 7, 2016, and subsequently launched on November 10. The same could happen again, as suggested by an industry analyst in late July.

While we wait for Sony to announce what the whole industry seems to know at this point, let's recap the more credible leaks:

• 45% performance improvement in rasterized rendering thanks to a larger GPU and faster memory
  • Hugely improved ray tracing architecture delivering 2-3x speedup on average, with peaks of 4x
  • Custom machine learning architecture that supports 300 TOPS at 8-bit to power the PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) upscaling technique, Sony's version of Multi Frame Super Resolution based on the PlayStation Machine Learning (PSML) algorithm.
  • PSSR is an ML-enhanced version of Temporal Anti-Aliasing Upscaling (TAAU) that requires inputs similar to NVIDIA DLSS or AMD FSR and fully supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) pipelines. It also does not require per-game training like the latest version of DLSS.

David B

An Idiot
Nothing new in this article but hoping we get a few more like this because not the first place I heard Devs were openly talking about the Pro there

https://wccftech.com/ps5-pro-was-an-open-secret-at-gamescom-2024/

The existence of the PS5 Pro was long discussed throughout 2024 thanks to various leaks and rumors, but the latest State of Play that aired in late May didn't feature any announcement for the new hardware. With Summer drawing to a close soon, some fans wondered whether the more powerful PlayStation 5 iteration had been delayed. However, at the Gamescom 2024 that's being held this week in Cologne, developers started talking.

In a recent live stream, the Italian website Multiplayer mentioned that it had heard from a developer that they had delayed their game due to the upcoming launch of the PS5 Pro. I can confirm that I heard something similar during one of my appointments at Gamescom 2024.

Without even being prodded by me at all, a developer that I won't name openly said they had received the specs of the PS5 Pro and were confident that Unreal Engine 5 would run much better on the new hardware compared to the regular PlayStation 5. Considering the circumstances revealed by Multiplayer, I'm positive this is not the same developer they talked to. Moreover, the studio I heard it from is not at all a big one, which makes it clear the hardware's specifications and details are already in the hands of a large number of game makers.

As such, it is reasonable to assume an official announcement is near. Looking at the PS4 Pro, the console was announced on September 7, 2016, and subsequently launched on November 10. The same could happen again, as suggested by an industry analyst in late July.

While we wait for Sony to announce what the whole industry seems to know at this point, let's recap the more credible leaks:

• 45% performance improvement in rasterized rendering thanks to a larger GPU and faster memory
  • Hugely improved ray tracing architecture delivering 2-3x speedup on average, with peaks of 4x
  • Custom machine learning architecture that supports 300 TOPS at 8-bit to power the PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) upscaling technique, Sony's version of Multi Frame Super Resolution based on the PlayStation Machine Learning (PSML) algorithm.
  • PSSR is an ML-enhanced version of Temporal Anti-Aliasing Upscaling (TAAU) that requires inputs similar to NVIDIA DLSS or AMD FSR and fully supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) pipelines. It also does not require per-game training like the latest version of DLSS.
Yup I just read that article. Same stuff kind of.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but do you still stand by nextgen Xbox in 2025, or plans changed to 2026?
26 is totally possible but nothing has changed my mind they would love to shoot for holiday of 25 as I still believe they will want their PC/Console hybrid out for GTA6

I haven't been in that particular Discord in awhile to be a fly on the wall though as its something I don't directly ask

I will say I do not see MS waiting much longer to do something because once the Pro releases along side the $599 Series X with 2 TB the chasm in sales figures will grow even more

That something though remains to be seen what it could be

26 is totally possible but nothing has changed my mind they would love to shoot for holiday of 25 as I still believe they will want their PC/Console hybrid out for GTA6

This is fucking wild.

So, they're going scorched earth and 2 full whole years before the PS6. Holy shit, this is ever more aggressive than the 360, not because it was 1 year before PS3, but because Nvidia's shitty deal in materials for ed them to do so, and the rushed with tight R&D and the RRoD happened.

This, if it happens, is purely from a strategic standpoint of wanting to kickstart a whole new gen.

Radical_3d

It is not just Sony fans. Look at the GPU market. It has nothing to do with a specific fan base and everything to do with we are never happy. I have already accepted that costs for (ALL) consoles, PCs, handhelds and TV/monitors are going up.
And everything if you live in Europe. Groceries, cars, rent, phones…

Radical_3d

Not requiring training tells me it’s going to be worse than DLSS but practically a default for all games. Nice.

Edit: ups! Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

Loxus

I haven't been in that particular Discord in awhile to be a fly on the wall though as its something I don't directly ask

I will say I do not see MS waiting much longer to do something because once the Pro releases along side the $599 Series X with 2 TB the chasm in sales figures will grow even more

That something though remains to be seen what it could be
Do you think Xbox next console would be a generational leap?

We definitely need that 4-6× next gen leap.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is fucking wild.

So, they're going scorched earth and 2 full whole years before the PS6. Holy shit, this is ever more aggressive than the 360, not because it was 1 year before PS3, but because Nvidia's shitty deal in materials for ed them to do so, and the rushed with tight R&D and the RRoD happened.

This, if it happens, is purely from a strategic standpoint of wanting to kickstart a whole new gen.
Yup, it will be scorched earth.

I guess they can point to what Nintendo did with the Wii U to Switch and think they can do it too. It needs to be a handheld or something totally different to even have a chance at success tho.

This is fucking wild.

Let's be honest, Microsoft has all but given up the console market. Whatever products they bring to market are for their legacy fans in their ecosystem.

Their games are all multiplatform and will support last-gen / cross-gen, they are not going to be state of the art titles that push the system. But they offer high resolution and settings with their new console.

Same as the Xbox Series X.....how long did it take for Hellblade 2 to actually come out? Everything else looked last-gen AF.

damidu

This is fucking wild.

they are in no position to kickstart anything, lol. they don't even have first party exclusives anymore.
they'll most probably put xbox lipstick to a off the shelf pc, release it in select few markets with $1k+ price tag.
which will of course fail spectacularly and make series figures look like great success in retrospect.
spender can then finally have his career moment as the moron who killed xbox .

Top Bottom