• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

nick776

26 is totally possible but nothing has changed my mind they would love to shoot for holiday of 25 as I still believe they will want their PC/Console hybrid out for GTA6

I haven't been in that particular Discord in awhile to be a fly on the wall though as its something I don't directly ask

I will say I do not see MS waiting much longer to do something because once the Pro releases along side the $599 Series X with 2 TB the chasm in sales figures will grow even more

That something though remains to be seen what it could be
Any thoughts on why in Microsoft is thinking they CAN sell at 2TB series X for $599? It seems so spectacularly stupid to me that it just flies in the face of all logic. Surely there is some method to the madness, right?

David B

An Idiot
Any thoughts on why in Microsoft is thinking they CAN sell at 2TB series X for $599? It seems so spectacularly stupid to me that it just flies in the face of all logic. Surely there is some method to the madness, right?
Well Microsoft is a high profit company in many things like Windows and Office 365 and Xbox and subscriptions. Basically they always go all in because they keep making enough profit to not lose so much. They probably make $1 to 5 million or more a year just based on selling Windows copies to PC manufactuers companies who make the PCs like Acer and Asus and HP and Dell and Lenovo and tons of others. So yeah, they just keep making profit. But I think they are at a point where they are losing more money than making profit.

Radical_3d

they are in no position to kickstart anything
Sad part is: they are. This is no more the 360 era where you can make next gen games in 2 years but they are now the largest pu lusher in the world. They just don’t have the will or the permit from Nadela.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you think Xbox next console would be a generational leap?

We definitely need that 4-6× next gen leap.
I think it will rely heavily on AI to get this greatest tech leap ever

I have no clue what they are thinking especially since that could very well be the price of this Pro

How many people will actually buy that thing sitting at the same price as an actual upgrade to current consoles?

Last edited:

damidu

Sad part is: they are. This is no more the 360 era where you can make next gen games in 2 years but they are now the largest pu lusher in the world. They just don’t have the will or the permit from Nadela.
i mean can you blame him.
we read spencer's prelaunch emails you know. he was basically promising a console war win and netflix of gaming subscription numbers.only to fail worse than xbone.
id say nutella has been more than patient with these morons.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Loxus

A good question is if Microsoft releasing the next Xbox in 2025-2026 changed Sony's plans on releasing the PS5 Pro.
(release date, specs, etc.)

PS5 Pro most likely would of released last year following the PS4 and PS4 Pro releases.

Sony has also established a near solid pattern on console model releases, which puts the PS6 releasing in 2027.

PS3: 2006 --3 years--> PS3 Slim: 2009
- -7 years--
PS4: 2013 --3 years--> PS4 Slim: 2016
--7 years--
PS5 2020 --3 years--> PS5 Slim: 2023
--7 years--
PS6: 2027

I'm curious if the PS5 Pro was delayed to include AI upscaling and PSSR to combat Microsoft's next-gen console performance.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
they are in no position to kickstart anything, lol. they don't even have first party exclusives anymore.
they'll most probably put xbox lipstick to a off the shelf pc, release it in select few markets with $1k+ price tag.
which will of course fail spectacularly and make series figures look like great success in retrospect.
spender can then finally have his career moment as the moron who killed xbox .
Lets be honest neither camp has been setting the ground on fire with their first party exclusives as of late

The last Showcase for PS was the first 10 minutes on Concord which they obviously thought they had a hit on their hands and the only title that had my interest was Astrobot

I think thats about to change as I THINK Sony left several rounds in the chamber for a PS5 Pro Showcase but we shall see

A good question is if Microsoft releasing the next Xbox in 2025-2026 changed Sony's plans on releasing the PS5 Pro.

PS5 Pro most likely would of released last year following the PS4 and PS4 Pro releases.

Sony has also established a near solid pattern on console model releases, which puts the PS6 releasing in 2027.

- -7 years--
--7 years--
--7 years--

I'm curious if the PS5 Pro was delayed to include AI upscaling and PSSR to combat Microsoft's next-gen console performance.
I know most don't believe me but this PS5 Pro silicone was ready last year and the only thing I can think of delaying was indeed to get PSSR going

Both camps pretty much knows what the other is doing and if I caught wind last summer that MS wanted to push a newer Zen 5 "console" to market around the GTA 6 launch window you know Sony knew before that

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

seeing MH Wilds running on PS5 Pro at TGS would really get my juices flowing
Phone Podcast GIF by Washed Media

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I think it will rely heavily on AI to get this greatest tech leap ever
If it's anything that retains cross-compatibility with a higher price-tag (basically, being another 1x) we already know the sales cap is under 10M in 3 years and noone will ever take the 'greatest tech leap' marketing seriously anyway.

If they break BC and go with something unportable, even by PC standards(like a true console, for a change) - they'll have a hell of a time getting support for it, especially if this comes at a premium price (like the nutcase predictions of 1000$ console). That said - MS is probably the only player that could afford supporting this given their stable of IPs/studios. Imagine a CoD that literally has 'only on XBox' gameplay/features. And there's even precedent for this - EA used to do this for decades where only HD twins (and their successors) got the 'real' Fifa, while everything else (including PC) got the legacy version - year after year.
But I want to know how that gets past leadership that is currently forcing them to be a 3rd party to every other platform holder - as this would be either doubling the costs of certain IPs, or abandoning them alltogether outside of their new box.

How many people will actually buy that thing sitting at the same price as an actual upgrade to current consoles?
Maybe they're banking on Sony raising the price on Pro as result - I mean it's like taking negative PR for them lol.

damidu

they are probably testing waters in the markets they'll release their $1500 pc-box in couple of years, it'll go as you expect it to go.

Lets be honest neither camp has been setting the ground on fire with their first party exclusives as of late

The last Showcase for PS was the first 10 minutes on Concord which they obviously thought they had a hit on their hands and the only title that had my interest was Astrobot

I think thats about to change as I THINK Sony left several rounds in the chamber for a PS5 Pro Showcase but we shall see

I know most don't believe me but this PS5 Pro silicone was ready last year and the only thing I can think of delaying was indeed to get PSSR going

Both camps pretty much knows what the other is doing and if I caught wind last summer that MS wanted to push a newer Zen 5 "console" to market around the GTA 6 launch window you know Sony knew before that
Next gen thing is not going to be a new CPU. it's going to be AI upscaling and whatever they are going to do with that stuff. In those areas we have seen nothing particulary interesting or forward thinking from Microsoft even when it's their console that has potentially more AI grunt right now. Sony has being doing more AI stuff in a few of their current PS5 games than MS has ever done.

AI upscaling and Co. is going to be mainly a software thing. Tools. MS is incredibly behind the others (Nvidia, Intel and Sony) in those areas. There are no reasons they are going to magically catch back the others in 2026.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
You know it's funny - we heard the exact same thing with PS4 Pro being ready much earlier - but then some weird AF rumors about undecided HW SKUs and software support (and CB reconstruction). I'm not saying it's necessarily not true - but for previous Pro, devs (3rd parties) had nothing on it 'until' spring 2016, and I've heard similar for the PS5 Pro. Which indicates they weren't ready at all - hw being functional is like saying PSPGo was ready to launch in 2006 because Kutaragi showed the prototype of it then.

and if I caught wind last summer that MS wanted to push a newer Zen 5 "console" to market around the GTA 6 launch window you know Sony knew before that
Did you though? :messenger_winking_tongue: Asking for a friend

- -7 years--
--7 years--
--7 years--

Console generations are going to become longer and longer. All this talk of a $599 PS5Pro. Will PS6 be $699? That's a lot of money to spend every 7 years for console gaming.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You know it's funny - we heard the exact same thing with PS4 Pro being ready much earlier - but then some weird AF rumors about undecided HW SKUs and software support (and CB reconstruction). I'm not saying it's necessarily not true - but for previous Pro, devs (3rd parties) had nothing on it 'until' spring 2016, and I've heard similar for the PS5 Pro. Which indicates they weren't ready at all - hw being functional is like saying PSPGo was ready to launch in 2006 because Kutaragi showed the prototype of it then.

Did you though? :messenger_winking_tongue: Asking for a friend
Nahh I didn't really hear stuff, I just like to make stuff up, looks at the dates I posted stuff

KFqKEwV.png

8rzVrfG.png

David B

An Idiot
Console generations are going to become longer and longer. All this talk of a $599 PS5Pro. Will PS6 be $699? That's a lot of money to spend every 7 years for console gaming.
Yes, which is why I will be going PC gaming. High price of gaming PC yes indeed. But no subscription required. Graphics and frame rate can be altered with more. Bigger game sales on many gaming places like Steam and Gog.

Loxus

Why doesn't anyone say this about phones and TVs costing $1000+?

Consoles are cheap for what you get, even at $700 compared to a desktop equivalent PC.

Why doesn't anyone say this about phones and TVs costing $1000+?

Consoles are cheap for what you get, even at $700 compared to a desktop equivalent PC.
Smartphones have many more uses than a gaming console. And most aren't buying a new one every year.

Loxus

Smartphones have many more uses than a gaming console. And most aren't buying a new one every year.
We don't buy a new console every year either.

All I'm saying is if the PS5 cost $600-$700 for the get go, we would be asking for a PS5 Pro right now.

Skifi28

Imagine if Cerny demoed additional features in backwards compatibility with...

799019.jpg
Seems unlikely, but I am really curious to see which games will be shown during the announcement as well as which older third party stuff will be getting patched. I'm not really worried about first party, even with no patches most Sony studios have already patched some pretty forward looking modes in their games like they almost knew something was coming.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Imagine if Cerny demoed additional features in backwards compatibility with...

799019.jpg
Given what was implied in the leak it could be possible (just patching in the PSSR for instance) but then again - Sony has been pretending BB doesn't exist for a bit too long now - I'm not falling for that one again.

Katajx

I don't the PS5 Pro launching this year if at all. All we're getting from SONY this year is Astrobot and I doubt that will need the crunt of a Pro to run and look good.
Maybe SONY will launch the Pro when Death Standing 2 is really to be shown off next year or something
This would be carried by third party support initially. Just like the PS4 Pro.

Just have to advertise it as the best way to play Call of Duty, Outlaws, AC Shadows, and the other fall games.

There were no big Sony games that launched with the PS4 pro either.

This would be carried by third party support initially. Just like the PS4 Pro.

Just have to advertise it as the best way to play Call of Duty, Outlaws, AC Shadows, and the other fall games.

There were no big Sony games that launched with the PS4 pro either.

There was a big difference with the Pro it helped with VR and also many we getting 4K TVs with HDR and so having a PS4 Pro was a big deal , same for One X.

damidu

Nvidia has dedicated hardware for dlss and years of experience in the field. Now ,according to leaks, Sony can match or even beat them at upscaling with Amd hardware?
i mean intel came out of left field too, and did a pretty decent job. you dont need to beat dlss at first try to be the fsr killer in console space, which is what it just needs to achieve initially.

Radical_3d

There was a big difference with the Pro it helped with VR and also many we getting 4K TVs with HDR and so having a PS4 Pro was a big deal , same for One X.
Now that we are enjoying the awesome 640p resolutions upscaled of our PS5s and with more 4K TVs on the market than in 2016 there is more reason than ever to get a Pro. Unless you hate more pixels.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Great to hear we can expect to see improvements with UE5. So many devs seem to use it, so thats good. Having personally worked for Sony Broadcast and being aware of the talent within PlayStation and even their consumer TV divisions, I'd be very surprised if PSSR wasn't noticeably better than FSR.

Roll on TGS and pre-order dates.

I think this system will be pretty impressive despite what the leaked specifications may indicate.

Cerny usually develops a system that punches far above what it would seem to be able to every time.

It won't have like killer applications, but any games like CoD, AC, Silent Hill, etc. will help make it enticing.

We also don't know how many games could potentially already have Pro patches lined up, just waiting for the reveal. Cyberpunk, FF16, etc.

Jaybe

I think this system will be pretty impressive despite what the leaked specifications may indicate.

Cerny usually develops a system that punches far above what it would seem to be able to every time.

It won't have like killer applications, but any games like CoD, AC, Silent Hill, etc. will help make it enticing.

We also don't know how many games could potentially already have Pro patches lined up, just waiting for the reveal. Cyberpunk, FF16, etc.

Cyberpunk 2077 would be an awesome game to show off the system if CDPR puts in the effort.

I don't expect much with those software based RT UE5 games (the vast majority) on PS5 Pro. Why would we? Raster is the weakest gain on PS5 Pro (about 50% better) there and I don't expect many old UE5 games to be patched with PSSR (I explain why just after), while the new RDNA4 RT hardware won't be used at all in those games as RT is done 100% via compute.

If the developers had any skills about IQ they would have never used performance FSR in the first place. it's obvious they don't care about IQ on their console games and only care about Steam money.

Last edited:
There's a small part of me that hopes PlayStation doesn't do a showcase this year just to spite all the talk this year that PlayStation has no games. I love seeing people meltdown over not getting advertised to.

Mr.Phoenix

26 is totally possible but nothing has changed my mind they would love to shoot for holiday of 25 as I still believe they will want their PC/Console hybrid out for GTA6

I haven't been in that particular Discord in awhile to be a fly on the wall though as its something I don't directly ask

I will say I do not see MS waiting much longer to do something because once the Pro releases along side the $599 Series X with 2 TB the chasm in sales figures will grow even more

That something though remains to be seen what it could be
PC/Console hybrid. So we are on the money that what is coming from Xbox next is something that is going to be fundamentally more like a PC than a console? So maybe some new version of Windows similar to the Linux Steam OS frontend used with steam deck? Upgradeable hardware? "Xbox" hardware from non-Xbox third-party OEMs all using the "Xbox OS"....etc?
Not requiring training tells me it’s going to be worse than DLSS but practically a default for all games. Nice.
Did you miss the "similar to the latest versions of DLSS part? Since DLSS2, per-game training has stopped being required. Something that is said to be similar, should at least be expected to be.... similar and not guaranteed to be worse.

Sw0pDiller

All I'm saying is if the PS5 cost $600-$700 for the get go, we would be asking for a PS5 Pro right now.
Of the ps5 would have cost 600-700 the system would have bombed because most people would have found it too expensive and would have bought an Xbox instead.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PC/Console hybrid. So we are on the money that what is coming from Xbox next is something that is going to be fundamentally more like a PC than a console? So maybe some new version of Windows similar to the Linux Steam OS frontend used with steam deck? Upgradeable hardware? "Xbox" hardware from non-Xbox third-party OEMs all using the "Xbox OS"....etc?
The whole PC/Xbox hybrid was deeply explored and would likely be expensive to also go along side a handheld but have they pushed forward I don't know but the whole greatest tech leap stuff from Bond makes me think they are moving forward

OS wise I don't have a clue but I don't think this box will be upgradable and "will give people the console experience" take that for what you will.

OEMs vs Xbox hardware that one leak points to OEMs but none of that was mentioned when we were talking "next gen"

I still think we get the handheld before the big box

Total side note seems upcoming handhelds were a big talking point at Gamescom

Mr.Phoenix

Next gen thing is not going to be a new CPU. it's going to be AI upscaling and whatever they are going to do with that stuff. In those areas we have seen nothing particulary interesting or forward thinking from Microsoft even when it's their console that has potentially more AI grunt right now. Sony has being doing more AI stuff in a few of their current PS5 games than MS has ever done.

AI upscaling and Co. is going to be mainly a software thing. Tools. MS is incredibly behind the others (Nvidia, Intel and Sony) in those areas. There are no reasons they are going to magically catch back the others in 2026.
You are right that AI is going to be at the centre of next gen hardware. You are wrong however in the assumption that its some sort of insurmountable hurdle to overcome.
Nvidia has dedicated hardware for dlss and years of experience in the field. Now ,according to leaks, Sony can match or even beat them at upscaling with Amd hardware?
What AMD hardware are you talking about? Because the AMD hardware that will be in the PS5pro is not on the market yet.
You can’t even turn ray tracing on playing wukong with the top of the line $1,000+ AMD GPU. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Just like above... you are making this assessment based on the current stock of AMD hardware. An AMD GPU with a focus or at least proper implementation of ML hardware is not on the market. Neither is an AMD version of AI accelerated reconstruction.

You can't be here making an argument, while conveniently ignoring the two core things that has been pointed out about the PS5pro that make it different from any existing AMD hardware.

Those are, better RT hardware, which is not expected to be seen in anything but RDNA4 and above, and ML hardware with ML super-resolution (PSSR), which is not something any AMD GPU on the market currently has or can do. And in case you haven't noticed, those are the two things that make AMD GPUs so far... suck.

simpatico

Gold Member
i mean can you blame him.
we read spencer's prelaunch emails you know. he was basically promising a console war win and netflix of gaming subscription numbers.only to fail worse than xbone.
id say nutella has been more than patient with these morons.
Imagine if every exclusive did as well as it sounded in pitch meetings. What if Halo Infinite was the best Halo game ever? Bringing back everyone who ever played it along with a new generation. Redfall, the new Destiny and Twitch darling. Starfield, all the hype of Skyrim and Fallout x5. A lot of Xbox failing this gen came from game developers. Xbox didn't get stingy with money at all and the Series X is very well spec'd. Every developer they have released their worst game.

Top Bottom