• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

RayHell

If gamers support the PS5 Pro price point,
consoles going forward will soon reach the $1000 mark. There won't be any going backward.

We need to draw a line where we shouldn't support consoles.

David Tennant Fight GIF by Around The World In 80 Days
That's not how it works at all. They always evaluate the capacity of the user to pay to get a good balance of profit and sales.
If they draw the line at the price point you consider correct there's would be no Ps5 Pro announced today.
Personally I think the price is fine and I will get one day one.

Danny22

Neo Member
Why does the US get such a better deal always? They pay much lesser for new games, these consoles while earning far more than europeans as well? Is it because xbox still somewhat exists there? Or because US is 'default' market so potenitally more people pissed off/ bad publicity.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
That’s all fine and dandy but why the hyperbole and outrage?

“They can fuck off” meanwhile you’re primarily a PC gamer. As if you were ever going to get this anyways?
Actually I was waiting for the price and features to be released, as I usually sell off or hand down my base PS5 and purchase the Pro version as that is my normal cycle for consoles.

They announced a price too high and without the features I didn't want, so yes I'm kind of pissed off that they went this route.

You have no idea what my purchasing habits are friend.

Edit: Oh you're banned. Was I getting baited? That was just a strange set of responses.

Last edited:

Codeblew

Why does the US get such a better deal always? They pay much lesser for new games, these consoles while earning far more than europeans as well? Is it because xbox still somewhat exists there? Or because US is 'default' market so potenitally more people pissed off/ bad publicity.
Tax not included in US price.

This reveal has just been cooking people all day. Unreal. I've been looking at the side-by-side comparisons and...... all I saw was diminishing returns. Outside of the core gaming communities, like GAF, nobody is excited about this thing.

What's nice though is all those scalpers who inevitably buy these up won't have an interested market to sell them too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sendit

This no disc shit needs to stop.

PC overlords always brag about steam this and CD keys that....

But two large console makers go digital and it's a chaos fest lol. Why.
Change scares people. If the majority of people wanted physical, there would still be a big push for physical releases. However, that isn't the case. Most people prefer convenience over owning a physical medium.
Me realizing I'm about to finish Rebirth after PS5 Pro announcement:

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia
i stopped playing hoping for a PC release. The Pro should fix my gripes as performance mode was a blurry mess and fidelity mode felt like a slide show.

Last edited:

Xellos

I was never all that interested and the price puts it well outside impulse-buy territory. Regular PS5 is enough for me.

Eszti

Banned
I really have to think about it, so far they haven't convinced me and haven't delivered with the original PS5.
3rd Parties have, but Sony has not and now they want £700+99....... and for what?
Literally anything they do is not good enough for what they're selling because how little they did with the PS5.
I'm happy for people excited for this but it has to be the underwhelming product I've seen them put out.
It's like the PS3 but without the positives that made it at least exciting.
They will lower price. Or make bundles

Reactions: TGO

salva

There was zero incentive to showcase why I should buy one in today's presentation. Dazzle me with the best looking graphics for a must have game, and I'd be pre-ordering.

Eszti

Banned
You dont need it on releaseday for what? Just wait nobody will buy this. This will fall fast. Sonys marge on this is insane. Sure sony gonna counter with low production and try every trick but its just hot air. Be patient.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You dont need it on releaseday for what? Just wait nobody will buy this. This will fall fast. Sonys marge on this is insane. Sure sony gonna counter with low production and try every trick but its just hot air. Be patient.
You convinced me. I'll buy two now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not interested but I also don’t think “Sony should screw themselves.” Its simply not a product for me and thats ok. It will find a market niche.

Tbh I am not a PS5 fan to begin with.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
$699 USD and they won't even include the disc drive or the plastic stand

Sony can go fuck themselves

This is what you get when MS doesn't make their own "Pro" console and a taste of what will happen without competition if MS quits making consoles. Apple like pricing.

If it's the only place to play GTA6 at a good framerate when it releases, maybe

This is where I am, I want confirmation of 60fps on the Pro before shelling out any money.

Last edited:

avin

I would, in a heartbeat, if there was a killer game I needed to play on it. Maybe down the road, if and when the heavy hitters show up. So - not now, at least.

avin

MrMephistoX

Absolutely but probably only because I sold my Series X for $450 and when I sell my PS5 it will basically be free. I’m getting my MS exclusives fix on PC and Steam Deck anyway so it was gathering dust.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You have to add the state tax onto the final cost. And probably leave a tip for the cashier handing over the bag.

I'm not opposed to eventually getting a Pro, but based on what the system seems to be offering for the rest of 2024, I've no intention of buying one this year.

buenoblue

What is worrying is now they have a console for £699 I can't see them going back down. PS6 is gonna be £699 or close to it 😭

The Fartist

Gold Member
$836.55 with a disc drive after taxes here in California. I can afford it, but, still pretty steep. I'll just use Affirm like I did with my base PS5 Horizon bundle, paid it off in a year. I don't know, depends on how much money I'll have in November.

wizaga

Neo Member
If this was rhe PS6 sure i would consider it even at that price but it's not. Depending on what nintendo has to offer with their next console i think i will jump ship until the ps6 is released. I have no complaints about my og ps5 and it feels stupid to buy at the price sony is asking for.

nnytk

I'm thinking of going for a slim instead, but the idea of having to play Dragons Dogma 2, Wukong, MonHun Wilds and MGS3 remake, and more games, at 30fps is very off putting to me.

So yeah, I'll probably get the Pro. 1000 euros for a high end console is still better to me than 1000 euros for a GPU.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Quite disappointed that it does not come with a disc drive, that'd be essential for me. Aside from that I'll have to wait and see what the improvements look like. I don't mind paying more for better performance (I'd sell my current PS5 if I do buy it) but I'm quite happy with what the base PS5 provides. I'm not going to sold by hype and marketing speak for this; let people get their hands on it and then we can see.

One thing that comes to mind is that some late-PS4 games ran quite poorly (MH:W, Prey, etc.). If that is going to be the case with PS5 I would probably somewhat begrudgingly go for a Pro.

Nope of there was a major release I'd probably trade in and pay the difference like I did with God of War and the PS4 Pro.

But with no major first party game that I'm dying for and the fact they don't announce anything anymore I just don't see the point.

I'd need like a Naughty Dog game coming out or something to make the jump

tehbible

i will be buying. i dont play many games so wont need the optical drive. it will be my gta6 machine. that being said...

i just dont like how they are giving apple energy.

want a 60 fps machine? get the ps5 pro

same as apple with: want pro motion? get a pro/pro max

Probably not, no... My biggest use for my PS5 has been playing PS4 games at higher framerates and better loading times. (when this is supported, curse Sony for not patching it in to all exclusives, see Bloodborne...)

In terms of PS5 games that I would like to play at slightly higher visuals while playing at 60fps, VS playing them at 60fps with slightly lower visuals on base PS5... there are very few, mainly due to there being very few PS5 games that take advantage of the base PS5. The examples chosen by Sony were very illustrative of this.
Now you can play Last of us 2, a PS4 game... with identical visuals to PS4 (lmao at the 'remaster' and any remaining ND stans)... at a higher resolution than base PS5 while running at 60fps VS lower resolution on base PS5 running at 60fps. Wow? Similarly Ratchet and Clank, which at least is only on PS5 and PC, now has slightly better crowds in the opening if you shove the screen 10cm from your face! Wow?

Genuinely any actual uses I can think of would be games like FFXVI performance improvements, which I bet still will somehow not hit 60fps at the quality mode on PS5 pro, and games like Black Myth Wukong since it struggles due to its very impressive visuals. And between the two I'd only be interested for Wukong and since I already have a high end PC and the game on there, I'll pass.

EDIT: Also fuck them for removing the disc drive and fuck them for clearly trying to worm their way for Digital only for higher profits and more control over the consumer.

Last edited:
The price seems reasonable. a) It is not for the masses and b) Sony clearly listened to the signals PS5 scalper prices sent. The masses should continue with regular PS5 and have a price there that is more in tune with cheapass gaming.

I am not sure if I need it. As Cerny pointed out the majority choses performance mode, including me, so i hope devs focus on that more, on PS amateur. And so far, overall, amateur is fine. No revolution at all, but a PS4 Pro+.

Vyse

Gold Member
Think I am going to hold off for a while. I don’t do any digital games on my PS5 and not going to replay games I have already finished because they have more bells and whistles. Need to see what future games bring as far as upgrades.

Top Bottom