• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters
I'd love to say no, but I know myself well enough that I will almost be guaranteed to buy it so I went with yes.

I hate the price, but after trade it it's less then a new PS5 if mine would happen to break or something. Plus it'll be more in line with my PC.

I'll probably buy it in 6 months, just need to find a good trade in deal.

I'm genuinely surprised at the price but I realise how fast prices are rising in the UK so maybe - maybe - it adds up, but I think however much they spent on the R & D for PSSR is factored in.

Alebrije

Yes , it's expensive but how last generations have behaved My Bet is when PS6 releases there Will be like 1-3 years that most games Will perform similar on 5PRO, like when PS5 released but there were support for PS4 on most new games ( Cross generation).

After two years of PS6 release we Will see games optimized or only avaliable for it and is when I plan to jump.

Did the same with Xbox one X , but never got the Series X because lack of exclusives. But basically You can play Games from 2022 and before on one X and they look decent.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

Day one for me :messenger_sunglasses:

1c1bfae1dcf422891f0005deabf12314.gif

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I know it was a youtube video, but the difference in footage between base and pro seemed so negligible. To those buying it, I ask you, do those extremely minor improvements excite you, and why?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I know it was a youtube video, but the difference in footage between base and pro seemed so negligible. To those buying it, I ask you, do those extremely minor improvements excite you, and why?
They are buying to play more games at 60fps with a better IQ, not necessarily for better graphical detail in terms of textures etc... Lots of games have released this year (and last) where the performance mode suffered with scaled down visuals and blurry IQ to deliver a 60fps mode.

The Pro will supposedly help a lot here because of PSSR AI upscaling and the extra power.

Last edited:

Certinty

I genuinely think the footage they showed to highlight the Pro being better was embarrassing.

Starting off immediately with a game that launched on the PS4 was a bad enough sign.

Then having to zoom into the footage of other games such as Spidey 2 and Ratchet and Clank to highlight the improvement.

Elios83

You don't need videos to understand the differences, just make a comparison between fidelity modes and performance modes on your PS5.
Take a game like FF7R and others where the 60fps mode has a vaseline filter, or games where ray tracing is only possible at 30fps or not at all in-game like GT7.
The Pro will allow to have quality modes running at 60fps, ray tracing where it wasn't possible (GT7).
It's not a minor improvement.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

You don't need videos to understand the differences, just make a comparison between fidelity modes and performance modes on your PS5.
Take a game like FF7R and others where the 60fps mode has a vaseline filter, or games where ray tracing is only possible at 30fps or not at all in-game like GT7.
The Pro will allow to have quality modes running at 60fps, ray tracing where it wasn't possible (GT7).
It's not a minor improvement.

Agreed. I'm as peeved by the price and the lack of options (no cheaper 1TB) and essentials (no stand, disc drive) as most on here but won't deny the Pro will help a lot of games with the things you've mentioned.

I think the overall promise is you'll be able to experience IQ on the Pro which is the same as quality modes on the base PS5 but at 60fps and it sounds like that's the case based of what we know so far from the presentation and CNET coverage.

The overall case for it isn't rocket science, but you would think it is.

You are dealing with people that will defend the big corporations to no end, this is why the games industry is in the situation it’s in. An underwhelming device that is using an upscaler as a pitch to sell a $800 console four whole years later into the generation, crazy.

XXL

The thing that gets me is the 2 TB SSD. That is absolutely a cash grab. No reason why this thing cannot have a 1 TB SSD when it has non-proprietary storage options. That is what pushed the price up $100 further than what is reasonable in my mind.
I agree they would have been better off making a 1TB version.

GloveSlap

This just makes me want a regular disc PS5 now. I only want to pay like $350 at this point in it's life cycle though, so i guess i'll just hold off entirely for now.

Out of interest. Those getting a PS5 pro, what games are you looking forward to playing on it?

Haven't you completed sonys big games? I aint going back to old assed PS4 games to play.

DD2, TLOU2, FF7 Rebirth (I want the plat), Ratchet and clank rift apart. There was another game but I can't remember it now. TLOU2 I've played but I planned on doing a replay next. I've placed that on hold and will wait for the Pro.

I plan to have this for another 3 at least so I assume Sony will release more games after that and 3rd party devs have been pretty good at giving us different game modes so I expect that to continue.

This just makes me want a regular disc PS5 now. I only want to pay like $350 at this point in it's life cycle though, so i guess i'll just hold off entirely for now.

Right before the Ps5 Pro comes out I would start looking at FB market place and see who's getting rid of their PS5. I know I plan to get rid of my slim a day or two before the Pro comes.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
And you would play on that over PC?

Brady Bunch K GIF

I play on both, when you can actually afford this hobby, it doesn't need be an either or.

Why the fuck would I ONLY play on PC? Then miss out on GTA6 at launch? Fuck I look like to you?

A broke person? lol

So I get to have ALL THE GAMES, not simply some of the games lol

giphy.webp

Get some investments and you can be terrible with your money too!
lol When your money works for you and you invest properly, its easy to make these types of purchases without thinking twice.

I think gaming might be the only hobby I have where I'm willing to spend on an upgrade like this or building several PC's etc

So when you deal with the headache of spending $8k to correct some foundation issue, $3k on a plumbing issue etc (I also manage properties for my Father and Sister's investments) , this amount of $800 isn't shit, when you make 8 times that amount in a month, from my property and from work. When you game this much, you must also invest based on how long you'll be gaming that generation on that platform and if you feel the value is worth it.

To me, for GTA6 and other future titles, yea its worth it for a few years before PS6 releases. For me, an investment is good if I can see me using it for years, if its something I spend a lot of time doing or if its something needed for work or if its making me money or something. So a Splurge, yes, but imho, not really the wildest.

I got friends that bought Tesla Plaids, Lexus F Sports lol Trust me when I'm saying this, I might spend the least of my friends in terms of entertainment, splurging etc People be buying some dumb shit, I know someone that use to work at a real estate firm with me years back when I first got into real estate, that rented a Condo simply to be away from his family and rarely used it, to the point where he forgot until the lease renewal lol He makes eons more then me. I'm not spending on some weird shit like that, not buying wild cars, outside of gaming, I don't really spend on as much wild splurge things as many might think.

So when I do get the chance, yes I'm buying a PS5 Pro, Switch 2, PS6 lol

Sorry for the baby tree Kacho lol

Kacho

Gold Member
I play on both, when you can actually afford this hobby, it doesn't need be an either or.

Why the fuck would I ONLY play on PC? Then miss out on GTA6 at launch? Fuck I look like to you?

A broke person? lol

giphy.webp

lol When your money works for you and you invest properly, its easy to make these types of purchases without thinking twice.

I think gaming might be the only hobby I have where I'm willing to spend on an upgrade like this or building several PC's etc

So when you deal with the headache of spending $8k to correct some foundation issue, $3k on a plumbing issue etc (I also manage properties for my Father and Sister's investments) , this amount of $800 isn't shit, when you make 8 times that amount in a month, from my property and from work. When you game this much, you must also invest based on how long you'll be gaming that generation on that platform and if you feel the value is worth it.

To me, for GTA6 and other future titles, yea its worth it for a few years before PS6 releases. For me, an investment is good if I can see me using it for years, if its something I spend a lot of time doing or if its something needed for work or if its making me money or something. So a Splurge, yes, but imho, not really the wildest.

I got friends that bought Tesla Plaids, Lexus F Sports lol Trust me when I'm saying this, I might spend the least of my friends in terms of entertainment, splurging etc People be buying some dumb shit, I know someone that use to work at a real estate firm with me years back when I first got into real estate, that rented a Condo simply to be away from his family and rarely used it, to the point where he forgot until the lease renewal lol He makes eons more then me. I'm not spending on some weird shit like that, not buying wild cars, outside of gaming, I don't really spend on as much wild splurge things as many might think.

What an absolute baller. Damn!

fersnake

i just realice that everyone was waiting for Sony to do something bad or wrong to start throwing shit at them like concord and now the ps5 pro. my take on this the ps5 pro is gonna sold out.

btw guys im not a business man or else but what are the chances that Sony backtrack on this and lower the price at $599? im pretty sure they knew ppl where not gonna like this and lower price if this occurred?

If you have a big expensive tv, the difference will be quite significant. Small budget tv, yeh not so much.

XXL

btw guys im not a business man or else but what are the chances that Sony backtrack on this and lower the price at $599? im pretty sure they knew ppl where not gonna like this and lower price if this occurred?
I think they'll end up throwing in the stand (as they should) and maybe (probably not) lowering the EU prices.

But I don't think they backtrack and I also don't think they should.

XXL

I just watched IGNs 4K upload of the presentation on my TV and I don't think the differences are negligible. The games on the PS5 Pro look quite a bit better than on the base PS5.

Here's the video.

flying_sq

Not buying, this sounds expensive to me not sure why, but I have no issues spending 2k on a GPU, and $500-600 on a CPU for my PC. Maybe because my PS4 Pro was a glorified streaming box with the occasional game. Also will this thing actually do 4k in games? I'm doubtful due to their upscale announcement as well

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
What an absolute baller. Damn!
lol nahhh

So you can buy them, you have limited time to enjoy them lol So if I'm spending a lot of time with a game, the upgrade matters to me and the hardware matters.

yogaflame

Hated it before because of the price and no cd drive build in but I admit it is growing in me :messenger_beaming: But I'm still on the fence and happy with my ps5,

All these complainers on gaf think everyone who owns a Playstation is a brokie like them lmao

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My PS5 Slim will do for now.

I will eventually buy one in maybe a year.

Just because I like having the latest toys 😊

laynelane

A broke person? lol

giphy.webp

That's a good point. People can and do spend a lot of money on this hobby, but when you think of the amount of time and use you get out of a device - it doesn't seem so extravagant to pay for a Pro console or a great PC build. Plus, when games like GTA6 and Sony first-party drop, people will have a choice between the base PS5 and the Pro. Sony will sell consoles either way.

Last edited:

Three

Anyone who buys this is championing the death of physical media
How if they bought the compatible drive? This is like saying if you don't buy a CPU with integrated graphics you're championing the death of gaming. It doesn't come with it and it's optional but it's not dead.

This isn't high volume like base PS5 so splitting production into two would have only increased production cost and distribution. Offering it separately was the best thing to do. You can complain that the price should be lower but this is in no way championing the death of physical media.

Iced Arcade

think last-generation pro consoles. yes very negligible BUT some people are just enthusiasts to the fullest when it comes to brands

Top Bottom