• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters
Joaquin Phoenix Thumbs Down GIF

Very small maybe in a few years when there's a price drop and if hands-on impressions are better than anticipated. Curious about Dragon's Dogma 2 and Demon's Souls, but not enough to justify $700 when performance mode on the base PS5 works well enough for me already.

Kerotan

Here's the thing with the pro if you mainly play on playstation and trade in your consoles.

You'll get about 350-400 by selling the current ps5 so this upgrade costs 400. The ps5 pro like the ps4 pro will likely retain it's value remarkably well. Let's say the PS6 launches for 800, you'll likely sell this pro for over 500 so it will cost you less then 300 to upgrade.

To me it's a no brainer.

Here's the thing with the pro if you mainly play on playstation and trade in your consoles.

You'll get about 350-400 by selling the current ps5 so this upgrade costs 400. The ps5 pro like the ps4 pro will likely retain it's value remarkably well. Let's say the PS6 launches for 800, you'll likely sell this pro for over 500 so it will cost you less then 300 to upgrade.

To me it's a no brainer.
Agreed 100 percent.

If my local gaming store offers a trade-in, I would definitely take the offer.

Owning the most powerful console ever is a no brainer if I have to pay just $400-$500 for it.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Agreed 100 percent.

If my local gaming store offers a trade-in, I would definitely take the offer.

Owning the most powerful console ever is a no brainer if I have to pay just $400-$500 for it.
Some of my friends are saying they'll get the pro when GTA VI releases or when it gets a €100 discount. Why would I pay the exact same price to see it's benefits 12 months later or risk my ps5 dying before then now that it's out of warranty.

Or wait for a €100 price cut Which could come 2 years or less before a ps6. I'm pretty sure Sony expect this to sell less then 15% of the total player base like the ps4 pro so the widespread casual dissatisfaction doesn't surprise me. Sorry plebs this one's for the big boys.

Some of my friends are saying they'll get the pro when GTA VI releases or when it gets a €100 discount. Why would I pay the exact same price to see it's benefits 12 months later or risk my ps5 dying before then now that it's out of warranty.

Or wait for a €100 price cut Which could come 2 years or less before a ps6. I'm pretty sure Sony expect this to sell less then 15% of the total player base like the ps4 pro so the widespread casual dissatisfaction doesn't surprise me. Sorry plebs this one's for the big boys.

Good decision. Still, the announcement of PS PRO price I believe has created a bit of uncertainty regarding console gaming.

There is no doubt the PS6 will cost more than the Pro. So, Sony would either become like Apple, or 3DO if gamers don't support it going forward.

I just hope stores allow a trade-in as we would have to pay just $400-500 for newer versions. This will lessen the PS price burden a bit.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No. It is stupid. I blow my money on Nvidia GPUs and only have a PS5 for exclusives. If it was my only gaming system, I probably would buy it because I lack self control.

Kerotan

Good decision. Still, the announcement of PS PRO price I believe has created a bit of uncertainty regarding console gaming.

There is no doubt the PS6 will cost more than the Pro. So, Sony would either become like Apple, or 3DO if gamers don't support it going forward.

I just hope stores allow a trade-in as we would have to pay just $400-500 for newer versions. This will lessen the PS price burden a bit.
Definitely.

I'm starting to think a PS6 might be €800 as well especially at launch. Sony know people were paying scalpers €1000 for a ps5 so won't make that mistake again.

It's changed the game forever because they likely lost billions selling the ps5 too cheap and know they'll shift the pro at a higher cost. We do have a cost of chip crisis not helped by COVID, the bitcoin boom, Ukraine war etc so I believe we're living in inflated times. Hopefully the world calms down. Knowing our look China will invade Taiwan and the PS6 will be $1000.

Elios83

There is no comeback from higher prices next gen.
599-699$ will be the norm for high end devices with another 3 years of inflation doing their work by the time PS6 is released.
If people don't accept these prices (but given they accepted absurd prices on everything else I don't get why they shouldn't long term) the only solution is conceiving next gen like Microsoft did this gen with Series S and Series X so that people can continue to have something at 399/499$.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably, but not likely day #1. Its a luxury that I can afford, but I've got other stuff going on right now which I expect to keep me distracted til early next year.
Likely will make a decision around that time.

Its a classic, "I'd like", but don't really need situation.

PeteBull

I got burned with the PSVR2. No way I’m buying another overpriced PlayStation product until it’s value has been proved.
Im waiting till launch and actually wanna see those tangible gainz in games, then i will make informative decision to buy it or wait.

Roberts

I will wait until later. If they release more than two or three bangers over the next two years that I want to play, I might think about it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This thing will be $959 Canadian, the disc drive is said to be $120, and the vertical stand will be no cheaper than $20.

With tax you’re looking at a minimum of $1243!

But in all likelihood they’re going to bump it up like they do everything else instead of a 1:1 currency conversion, it’ll be $999, the disc drive will be $129 and the vertical stand will be $40.

Sony’s on dope.
As a fellow Canuck I’m also interested to see how this will sell in Canada. Those prices are really going to test the loyalty of the fanbase because I don’t think they are going to get a lot of sales from new players coming into the fold (although probably not the pro intent).

Would get one myself, but I don’t see the value proposition to spend that amount. I tend to skip “pro” consoles for this reason, much like I skip graphic card generations. For others though, they may find value with some of this stuff idk.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I am getting one because I already made the decision months ago to budget for it and will also trade in my current PS5. I imagine a lot of enthusiasts have done the same. It's not like rumors haven't been preparing people for Pro for a while.

In terms of the price, it is disappointing. Higher than I expected for a device without a disc drive. I'd have rather had 1TB less space in exchange for the drive as I already have an extra 2TB M.2 drive in my PS5. Not a deal breaker though if the console can deliver on its promises. The presentation was a little lacking so that's hard to say.

I wouldn't make any grand declarative statements based on this thing. It's a luxury item for people who really want it and see a value in it. The base PS5 still exists for most people. Disc drives still exist for people like me with a physical collection. Don't pretend this is a PS3 $599 moment because now you have options.

I'd be more upset that the base PS5's price is increasing and not decreasing over time, and is also trending towards a disc drive being optional. That's the mainstream device we're talking about here, not something like the Pro which maybe 10% of the audience will opt for.

I'd also be more worried about what PS5 Pro's price means for the PS6 in ~2028. The PS4 Pro launched at $400 in 2016. The price of the base PS5 has outpaced that because of inflation. The base PS4 had also been cut to $300 by the time its Pro model launched. I wouldn't be surprised to see PS6 launch for at least $700 - and we'll probably just shrug it off like a $550 PS5 now that the economy has gone to shit.
I suspect the PS6 base will sell at $100 more than the PS5 and will have no disc drive (purchased separately for another $100).

Why wouldn’t they? Who are they competing with? It won’t be a PS3 situation where there is an Xbox360 to flock to.

Radical_3d

I went from: I’m buying one no matter what to “you ain’t seeing my money, Sony”. The price in ‘Murica would be fine with a disk drive but more than $900 in Europe without a disk drive is just Sony trying his luck in his feud. I think that if I buy this, no matter how happy I’d be with it (and I know I would), I’d be sending the wrong message to Totoki. And remember kids:
Animated GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Out of interest. Those getting a PS5 pro, what games are you looking forward to playing on it?

Haven't you completed sonys big games? I aint going back to old assed PS4 games to play.

Bernardougf

Out of interest. Those getting a PS5 pro, what games are you looking forward to playing on it?

Haven't you completed sonys big games? I aint going back to old assed PS4 games to play.
Right now is an "old game" machine... but they need to show the improvements on games (UE5) that the perfomance is shit on the ps5 ... deciding to show hogwards legacy at 30 fps was baffling to me after the "choppy discourse"

I trully hope MS comes swinging with a truly premium PC like console really soon for whatever they want to charge... I play mostly multiplat this days anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I hope Hell Let Loose runs better

I want to play COD BO6 at 120 fps with improved graphics

I want the best experience for DS2 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 and literally every other big Sony title moving forward that doesn't launch alongside PC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope Hell Let Loose runs better

I want to play COD BO6 at 120 fps with improved graphics

I want the best experience for DS2 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 and literally every other big Sony title moving forward that doesn't launch alongside PC

I think Sony need to hurry up and show those games, because for 830 UK Bones Im happy to wait for PC or PS6 to play the inevitable Directors Director cut.

I play COD on PC but I get the console thing. I'm a big fan of consoles.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think Sony need to hurry up and show those games, because for 830 UK Bones Im happy to wait for PC or PS6 to play the inevitable Directors Director cut.

I play COD on PC but I get the console thing. I'm a big fan of consoles.
Like Topher Topher said we need tech people to get their hands on it and show us the differences, not fluff from Sony under ideal conditions

Sethbacca

Honestly my backlog is just stupid, and more shit is always coming out, so why not play it the best way possible?

Topher

Gold Member

Personally, I was interested in buying the Pro more so for third party games than first party. I think back to games like Jedi Survivor and how shitty the image quality was in parts along with pretty much all new UE5 games. Never had an issue with first party games on PS5.

Yes and no.

I was interested in buying the Pro because I don't have a PS5. I waited just like I waited for PS4 Pro.

But since things turned out a bit ugly I'll wait for a discount down the line or something. No rush.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah, but this time Cerny told, with no other possible interpretation, PS5 Pro will allow you to play Fidelity Modes at 60fps.
Yeah so? He spewed a bunch of bullshit in the PS5 technical showcase that didn't pan out. He wasn't sitting in a court of law or under oath. It's just marketing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
that game is heavily cpu bound. i would not expect much. zen 2 cant even hold 60 fps damn even my ryzen 5800x3d troubled with it on some maps.
Yeah even my PC can chug at points

You didn't need to pop my bubble this early in the morning though ;)

Nope, I'm gonna try and track down a used slim mostly for my PS4 digital library. Sonys current offerings I've been buying on Steam

Eszti

Banned
Yeah even my PC can chug at points

You didn't need to pop my bubble this early in the morning though ;)
reality is often dissapointing but i think you already knew that answer. Resolution wise it looks rellay good at times even on consoles. but the game is not demanding even at native 4k when it comes to gpus.

its the engine really the ue is not made for such a task.

dx12 helps a lot tho on pc if you force it via command line on steam you get a lot better cpu performance but frametimes are spikier. choose one or another. i havent played it in along time but modern high end cpus should really bruteforce it by now i think.

No! I'm big PS fan but this is just ridiculous price. I would wait for Ps6 instead.

And there's no new game make me want to buy that thing.

Sony should has a showcase before reveals Ps5 Pro.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
I'll wait till the pro is at least $500 or if it's bundled with the stand and disc drive at $600.

And, if that takes too long for it to happen I think I might just wait for the PS6.
it will reduce prices but to 500? never. not even before ps6 release. look at the ps5 its still near launch price and in europe got even more espensive instead of cheaper.

I really think sony will bundle it with disc drives and controller and games and what not before lowering the price. if they would lower the price by 100 most people would be happy but it would still be relatively expensive. or at least 50 bucks. they have to do something after this backlash. reminds me of the original 4080 12gb that became a 4070 ti after the backlash plus 100 bucks reduction in price.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Like Topher Topher said we need tech people to get their hands on it and show us the differences, not fluff from Sony under ideal conditions
Completely agree. We need real tech sites to get hands on. If they say it's a home run, which IMO it needs to be for me to lay down £830 for it I will 100% pick one up but right now I never thought I would be so out. I buy everything day one too.
Personally, I was interested in buying the Pro more so for third party games than first party. I think back to games like Jedi Survivor and how shitty the image quality was in parts along with pretty much all new UE5 games. Never had an issue with first party games on PS5.

I can get this completely. Sony have always made sure the base console is served well, and I feel that it will be more of the case with this release because I can't see this thing selling half of what the PS4 pro did.

We need to see real world tests on UE5 games etc. I hope for this price it doesn't turn into....Well now it's 1080P on the pro but it holds 60FPS more solidly. It needs to be a considerable res bump and a locked 60FPS for this price.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Completely agree. We need real tech sites to get hands on. If they say it's a home run, which IMO it needs to be for me to lay down £830 for it I will 100% pick one up but right now I never thought I would be so out. I buy everything day one too.

I can get this completely. Sony have always made sure the base console is served well, and I feel that it will be more of the case with this release because I can't see this thing selling half of what the PS4 pro did.

We need to see real world tests on UE5 games etc. I hope for this price it doesn't turn into....Well now it's 1080P on the pro but it holds 60FPS more solidly. It needs to be a considerable res bump and a locked 60FPS for this price.
Just even a double at this point would be a win

Just not coming to the plate hoping to get on base by drawing a walk like that presentation felt

Top Bottom