• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

Kacho

Gold Member
Anyone who buys this is championing the death of physical media
7g1i8y.gif

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Look at all those green rats pretending to be concerned by the price, lol.

Soon enough you will be forced to overpay for a capable PC, or stick with low end Ninty because you hate Sony or ... uhm pay whatever Sony throw at you.

OT.. PS5 Pro is for enthusiasts, you don't have to pay for it to enjoy this generation. And if you decide to remove your bias and look how appropriately priced the PRO vs the competition you will find out that you are getting more value out of it vs for example $599 Series X

Topher

Gold Member
Sony really took the wind out of my sails for this, not going to lie. $699 is fine if it had disk drive and everything. No disk.....and not even the stand?

Sony...

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Just order the PS5 Slim open box from Best Buy. I got 60 days to return. We will see. Right now....I'm inclined to stick with base PS5.

This thing will be $959 Canadian, the disc drive is said to be $120, and the vertical stand will be no cheaper than $20.

With tax you’re looking at a minimum of $1243!

But in all likelihood they’re going to bump it up like they do everything else instead of a 1:1 currency conversion, it’ll be $999, the disc drive will be $129 and the vertical stand will be $40.

Sony’s on dope.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sony really took the wind out of my sails for this, not going to lie. $699 is fine if it had disk drive and everything. No disk.....and not even the stand?

Sony...

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Just order the PS5 Slim open box from Best Buy. I got 60 days to return. We will see. Right now....I'm inclined to stick with base PS5.
I have a PS5 Slim. It will get the job done for the amount you will likely play on a Sony console.

Bernardougf

I am as soon as they release some good new game for it ... 4 years old or crappy sequels of better games wont do it for me at launch

DeepSpace5D

If there is some relatively easy way to trade in my PS5, either through PlayStation Direct or elsewhere, and cover roughly 50% of the cost, then yeah I will probably get one. I have two PS5s in the house, and I wouldn’t mind trading one in to upgrade.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I am as soon as they release some good new game for it ... 4 years old or crappy sequels of better games wont do it for me at launch
Where are those upcoming first party games to show off this new mid-gen refresh? Sony decisions are all of the place. They killed it last gen. This gen has been yeesh.

PaintTinJr

I wanted to, and don't think the price increase is unreasonable and I predicted it, but making a disc-less model the default option is not going to wash with me, and now looks like they'll repeat the trend at the PS6 launch,
So I'm probably done buying PlayStation hardware forever...shame

That's almost $800 for a god damn pro model.

Might as well just go invest yourself in a decently average gaming PC at that point, since most of parts will be on sale in the holiday season anyway.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I’m seriously considering GeforeNow. My son has it. It destroys my PS5 in graphic fidelity and frame rate. £700 and it’s already leagues behind GeForceNow even.

I love PlayStation but they are miles behind what NVIDIA are capable of.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m seriously considering GeforeNow. My son has it. It destroys my PS5 in graphic fidelity and frame rate. £700 and it’s already leagues behind GeForceNow even.

I love PlayStation but they are miles behind what NVIDIA are capable of.
Hmmmmm. That’s interesting. The last cloud pc company I tried worked incredibly well. It even allowed me to stream to my Quest 2.

MrJangles

Neo Member
Nope, the release of Astrobot this week showed me there is no need for extra terathis or terathat or faster ram, etc.

If anything I was hoping todays announcement might have coincided with a base PS5 pricedrop so I could buy one!

Dream on I guess 🤣

//DEVIL//

After my initial reaction I think I'm more okay with it but it's $100 too much probably given they added that extra terabyte of space. At the same time 2 terabytes is a lot when it's that fast storage. And I am also going to echo my first sentiment when's talking about the modern economy. People think we are in the booming times where everything is just rocking and rolling. It is not like that and it is not like that to the regular consumer and these companies are feeling the pinch of inflation just like some of us are.

That being said, we are a bunch of grown ups here last time I checked. If you can afford it do it if not get yourself that lower model that is going to play the games just fine and it is an awesome system. I do agree with what @EviLore earlier in that in a market where people are spending $1,000 like it's nothing and acting like that's not a lot, and then get upset when we're paying a slight bit more for another piece of premium technology.

It's a slippery slope of acceptance of the times we're in and that the shifting and pricing is climbing a little bit faster at this point. Or like I said before, sometimes I feel like maybe there's some children here or something that can't afford things. Because we all do splurge and buy stupid shit that is more expensive than it should be.

I've come back to earth and accepted it and probably will be pre-ordering September 26th because I don't have a PS5 right now and I want to catch up on some of the old games and the new stuff that's coming, especially GTA 6.

It’s not justifiable . The price is 100$ too much greed.

There is a difference of price inflation and greed of a company . This is not just Sony. Nintendo is the same. They just see that customers have no alternative to any form of entertainment aside from these 2 systems so they know people will buy it sooner or later and gave in.

The PS5 pro doesn’t share that. And it shouldn’t cost that much .

This system is 1060$ card plus tax . We are talking 1300$ here.

Can I afford it ? Yes money isn’t a problem. But paying 1300$ CAD for a gaming console is the problem . And the success of this system will automatically raise the price of the PS6 in 2 years to 700$ easily .

I am sorry but the can’t be ok with this. This is just pure greed and I’ll not have part of supporting this .

Killer8

I am getting one because I already made the decision months ago to budget for it and will also trade in my current PS5. I imagine a lot of enthusiasts have done the same. It's not like rumors haven't been preparing people for Pro for a while.

In terms of the price, it is disappointing. Higher than I expected for a device without a disc drive. I'd have rather had 1TB less space in exchange for the drive as I already have an extra 2TB M.2 drive in my PS5. Not a deal breaker though if the console can deliver on its promises. The presentation was a little lacking so that's hard to say.

I wouldn't make any grand declarative statements based on this thing. It's a luxury item for people who really want it and see a value in it. The base PS5 still exists for most people. Disc drives still exist for people like me with a physical collection. Don't pretend this is a PS3 $599 moment because now you have options.

I'd be more upset that the base PS5's price is increasing and not decreasing over time, and is also trending towards a disc drive being optional. That's the mainstream device we're talking about here, not something like the Pro which maybe 10% of the audience will opt for.

I'd also be more worried about what PS5 Pro's price means for the PS6 in ~2028. The PS4 Pro launched at $400 in 2016. The price of the base PS5 has outpaced that because of inflation. The base PS4 had also been cut to $300 by the time its Pro model launched. I wouldn't be surprised to see PS6 launch for at least $700 - and we'll probably just shrug it off like a $550 PS5 now that the economy has gone to shit.

Hell no. Will the 800p stream to my Steam Deck be any better? No.

I‘d rather save the 920€ for my next gaming PC. I‘m done with Sony.

No. Mid gen refreshes are pointless to me. It's only for a small minority who want the best possible performance on console. The standard PS5 will be fine until the next generation.

dorkimoe

Guilty since 2011 or longer. I have bought two physical games since ( BOTW and Odyssey ). I really do not know why either, buying physical versions that is.
i get why digital is easier, but i enjoy buying my games on sale and reselling after i beat. I know a lot of people keep their stuff forever though. Neither should be forced on anyone. And yes i know you can buy the attachment drive

Ultimately depends on how it's utilized with PSVR2. Horizon COTM is a mid game at best but native 90 or 120 would be cool because the game does look really good. Village native 90 or 120 would definitely get me on board.

Only flat game I want locked 60 w/ fidelity is Ghostwire and that thing isn't getting patched anytime soon.

Give me a Portal Pro with a 120hz display. Not even sure if that's possible via remote play but I'd be on board with it for sure.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Where are those upcoming first party games to show off this new mid-gen refresh? Sony decisions are all of the place. They killed it last gen. This gen has been yeesh.

They have not announced them yet, Sony isn’t announcing games years in advance for every game like they used to

Top Bottom