• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

proandrad

An actual negative to the pro is that it wasnā€™t offered from the start of the PS5 launch and people are confusing a pro model with a faster refresh of an existing product at a cheaper price. This is not a PS5 replacement. This is like the IPhone pro model, made for people wanting a bit more at a premium price.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hmmmmm. Thatā€™s interesting. The last cloud pc company I tried worked incredibly well. It even allowed me to stream to my Quest 2.
Try it. Just try it for 1 month. Itā€™s remarkable. My son is playing on a MacBook M1 at 120hz, 4K with many of the RT benefits. Depending on game ofc but itā€™s extremely rare where he isnā€™t above 100fps.
Most impressive thing though is latency. Itā€™s indistinguishable. Seriously. And Iā€™m ultra sensitive to it. The only game input lag was perceivable was Doom eternal.
Not sure why, but I promise it is that good.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Money is not a issue for me, but no way, i always upgrade things like this day1, but no, this will maybe not flopp like Concord, but it will flopp.

Nintendo has such a chance here, with a good pricing the new switch will sell tons and tons of units!
I don't think it can flop in Sony's eyes. I imagine they are very sober regarding the potential market share of such a device. It's an aspirational product that is good to have for image and the small subset of console users that wants the most performant console on the market.

Last edited:
HELL NO!

They deserve bankruptcy after this fiasco.

This isn't even Arrogant Sony of the PS3 era, since the PS3 was a totally new console with tons of interesting games.

Where's Uncharted 5?

When PS4 Pro came out, we already had played Uncharted 4 a few months ago.

I'm definitely buying Switch 2 though, unless Nintendo manages to screw it up too.

Aja

Neo Member
After the reveal pricing are you still on the bandwagon or did you break your ankle jumping off.
I'm out. Too expensive for too little. I'm not a "gamer gamer" any more and I don't chase the latest. For a better price I would buy it but now? Hell nah.

LostDonkey

Not a chance at that price. I probably would have been happy stretching to Ā£499, sell my PS5 for Ā£200 and put the rest to. But Ā£699 is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Astray

Depends on local pricing where I am tbh. If it's close to US pricing I might sell my OG PS5 and go with that.

The dimensions should be similar and I have an OLED TV that can present the visuals at their best.

Kusarigama

I hate it doesn't come with a disc drive, but it's only 100$ more than a 2TB Series X and it's being marketed as a 2TB, 4K, RT 60fps machine twice as powerful as a PS5.
The price tag is partly justified with the 2TB SSD but they should have included the vertical stand even if they skipped the disc drive.

I am really impressed with the value proposition of PS5 Pro - 4K at 60 FPS quality mode with advanced Ray Tracing in graph. demanding games like FFXVI, SP2, and more.

Still, I am one of those old gamers who are satisfied with 30 FPS gaming. Therefore, I won't be upgrading.
But if my local store offers a good trade-in deal, I will definitely go for it as it will be worth it then.

Natsuko

I could perhaps live with the price if a disc drive and stand were included. The 2 TB are nice. I already don't use the PS5 too often as there is a very limited number of exclusives so far this generation and I play a lot of multiplatform games on the PC. I would simply regret the purchase. I can buy a lot of other things for 800 euros and I can immediately think of various things that I would prioritise.

Until the announcement, I thought the Pro would turn me on. I was expecting 700 euros and was afraid it wouldn't come with a drive. The announcement robbed me of all joy. Not that there was much of it.

qiqiqiiq

I was waiting for the announcement of the PS5 PRO before getting another PS5, but at that price and with no disc drive they can go f themselves, I'll stick to PC for the moment.

Not a day one buyer at that price. 700 was my floor price and it was right on target. Steam/Switch/PS4 for me. It's gonna bomb. People don't have 700 to spend on a premium enthusiast device. This ain't 2016, we're in a post-inflation world and people are struggling just to keep up with rent and food. Most people are poor now, it sucks.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still want it and I'll probably sell my OG PS5 disc version to get it. I also have a slim disc version and I'd just put the disc drive from that in the pro and run the slim as all digital. That way I don't have to spring for a drive, too. When you start knocking on $800 for a console you get into cost/benefit analysis of just going all-in on a good PC.

The price tag is partly justified with the 2TB SSD but they should have included the vertical stand even if they skipped the disc drive.

Exactly. I don't know why the complain about price.

Paying nearly $800 or ($1000 in my country due to customs) with a disk drive seems to me worth it for people who haven't bought one. You get double of everything as compared to the PS5 and expect it to be priced at half of it?

Vertical position is not even recommended as experts have pointed out it leads to an eventual fluid leak that can brick your PS.

Missed reveal, had too much work to do.

Was tempted, but will probably stick with my fat ps5. Price is higher than expected, current games aren't pushing ps5 too hard and lack of announced games on the horizon doesn't help. Although, there's still part of me that wants the new shiny tech to go with my new 65 OLED tv and 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup.

Yerd

I really planned on skipping the next PS console, because I mainly game on PC. Since they keep releasing PC versions I was hoping I could finally stop buying sony consoles. I kinda want one, but then I don't.

I'm really on the fence. My ps5 is my 4k bluray drive too. I'd have to buy that stupid disc drive on top of it. I would definitely trade in my ps5.

lifa-cobex

I buy consoles for what games become available.

So far Sony hasn't shown me anything this gen that has made me open my wallet.
Don't put your kart before the hoarse.

Also that's a lot of bloody money.
Show me why I would want your console Sony. I'm still on the PS4.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was planning to buy one for my son, but with a price tag of 800 euros, Iā€™m thinking it might be better to invest that money in a new PC for him instead.

Last edited:

Bungie

At this point, I rather wait the for the next gen Xbox while Sony waits for people to buy the Pro. I can easily buy it but it's not worth it.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes. Easily worth the price for the amount of time I'll play games on it.

I'll probably get AT LEAST 5 years out of it and thousands of hours. At $800 (need that disc drive) across 5 years that's only 160 bucks.

Easy choice.

LRKD

I hate it doesn't come with a disc drive, but it's only 100$ more than a 2TB Series X and it's being marketed as a 2TB, 4K, RT 60fps machine twice as powerful as a PS5.
I seem to recall the PS4 Pro being 4K 60fps advertised as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LostDonkey

Always get shafted in the UK, The US price is equivalent to Ā£535 here but yet for us it's priced at Ā£699.

Fuck off

kingwingin

I pray I can get my hands on one. Snagged a disc drive today but they all seem sold out now in Canada. Either this will be popular or scalpers are sinking their claws into it

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Realizing that you can still get the base unit for a better price, I think this will accommodate both crowds. For those that are complaining about the price, the more I sit with this, the more you better just stay in your lane. Those who wants that want the best performance, we will buy the products that we want. I have a computer with a 4090, an s24 ultra, and 83" LG oled, and three SVS subwoofers. I'm a grown man and can figure it out.

That doesn't mean I'm completely happy with the price but people should understand the barrier of entry and I (personally) understand more than anything, the modern global economy.

Vick

Gold Member
I seem to recall the PS4 Pro being 4K 60fps advertised as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Either your memory if faulty or mine is, as I recall instead if was primarily marketed as a 4K machine, via the checkerboard they have shown during the announcement.

Muffdraul

I bought a Sega fucking Saturn for $399 in 1995. $700 in 2024? HA! I'll buy a case of PS5 Pros! I'm old! I have savings! I have inheritance moolah! I just bought a new car with cash! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Last edited:

LRKD

Either your memory if faulty or mine is, as I recall instead if was primarily marketed as a 4K machine, via the checkerboard they have shown during the announcement.
It's certainly possible that they advertised it talking about checkerboarding, but I don't remember. I mean looking at both my ps4 pro console boxes right now, and neither of them even mention the word checkerboard on the packaging. they just say "4K HDR ready"

Either way I think to your average consumer, checkerboarding means literally nothing, and all they are going to see is talk of the console being 4K, and games running better.

R6Rider

Gold Member
They deserve bankruptcy after this fiasco.
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Try it. Just try it for 1 month. Itā€™s remarkable. My son is playing on a MacBook M1 at 120hz, 4K with many of the RT benefits. Depending on game ofc but itā€™s extremely rare where he isnā€™t above 100fps.
Most impressive thing though is latency. Itā€™s indistinguishable. Seriously. And Iā€™m ultra sensitive to it. The only game input lag was perceivable was Doom eternal.
Not sure why, but I promise it is that good.
BRO!!!!!!!!

I just signed up. Itā€™s a fucking game changer. Youā€™ll laugh, but I started with Starfield maxed out and it ran beautifully. Zero dips.

It just fucking works! I might be done with consoles.

Top Bottom