• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

Vick

Gold Member
It's certainly possible that they advertised it talking about checkerboarding, but I don't remember. I mean looking at both my ps4 pro console boxes right now, and neither of them even mention the word checkerboard on the packaging. they just say "4K HDR ready"

Either way I think to your average consumer, checkerboarding means literally nothing, and all they are going to see is talk of the console being 4K, and games running better.
Yeah, but this time Cerny told, with no other possible interpretation, PS5 Pro will allow you to play Fidelity Modes at 60fps.

Yes but I still need to know where Sony is selling it. I wanna use my GameStop credits and PS5 digital trade-in to get one. They are giving out $357 for my PS5 Digital and I think that’s pretty good. I won’t be buying from Sony direct.

MacReady13

I'm still unsure as to what the price point will be here in Australia, but that 2tb Xbox console is going to sell for $999 in Australia so, if we were to add another $100 USD to that, this thing could cost upwards of $1200 Aussie dollars which doesn't include a disc drive and stand! Fuck me that is insane! What happened to the days consoles were an affordable alternative to PC gaming? I just cannot believe this shit. Honestly I am SO happy I got back into PC gaming. Might just jump in on the Steam Deck and get a Meta Quest 3 and have myself a FAR better time gaming on my PC... Sony are the arrogant idiots I never thought they would go back to.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I voted undecided. I want it but the price is too high considering you could get a Slim with a drive and a copy of Spider-Man 2 for $499 not to long ago.

I’m going to wait to see what games Sony announces later this month, as well as what other older titles are going to receive Pro upgrades before I ultimately decide … but $700 without a drive or pack-in is kinda ridiculous.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX
Keep endorsing their egregious policies.

daffyduck

If there is some relatively easy way to trade in my PS5, either through PlayStation Direct or elsewhere, and cover roughly 50% of the cost, then yeah I will probably get one. I have two PS5s in the house, and I wouldn’t mind trading one in to upgrade.
That’s what I did to get the PS4 Pro, but this? Even with a trade in, this pricing is insane.

TheBomb

If this is the future. Wait for the 6. This upgrade is optional. Original is not discontinued. The original will sell tons this holiday.

Sooner

Absolutely. I can understand that most people won't feel the need to upgrade. I'm sure Sony does too.

If I could make it $800+ and even more powerful, I'd do that.

What I won't do is sweat over getting it day one if it means camping out or fighting scalpers, like I would do for a brand new generation I can wait, if needed.

They need to show me games side by side before I even look at the console.

Can't believe they've given us a price and reveal date without showcasing any games running on it.

What a fuck up.

Imtjnotu

$699 USD and they won't even include the disc drive or the plastic stand

Sony can go fuck themselves
This no disc shit needs to stop.

PC overlords always brag about steam this and CD keys that....

But two large console makers go digital and it's a chaos fest lol. Why.

RavageX

No disk drive, and if I recall nothing about PSVR2. Sorry, I think I might be done this time. Games haven't really looked all that ground breaking in a long time(IMO) so more power doesn't mean much to me. I don't know if any game (or games) could convince me otherwise.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No disk drive, and if I recall nothing about PSVR2. Sorry, I think I might be done this time. Games haven't really looked all that ground breaking in a long time(IMO) so more power doesn't mean much to me. I don't know if any game (or games) could convince me otherwise.
Cerny mentions PSVR2 in an interview I believe.

As someone who bought both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, this particular upgrade seems rather useless to me. I had reasons prior, 4K televisions, PUBG performance etc.

I'll wait for a real upgrade.

Last edited:

aclar00

I hate it doesn't come with a disc drive, but it's only 100$ more than a 2TB Series X and it's being marketed as a 2TB, 4K, RT 60fps machine twice as powerful as a PS5.

Didnt they say 45% more powerful? 100% would be twice as powerful.

aclar00

Just give me these options for my base PS5. I game on a 1080P, so give me high fidelity performance mode combo at 1080p

Topher

Gold Member
The thing that gets me is the 2 TB SSD. That is absolutely a cash grab. No reason why this thing cannot have a 1 TB SSD when it has non-proprietary storage options. That is what pushed the price up $100 further than what is reasonable in my mind.

The PS5 to PS5 Pro is like upgrading from a 6650 XT to a 7700. That's a $250 GPU to a $400 GPU. $150 difference. But here, in order to get $150 bump in performance, we are forced to pay $250 whether we need that 2 TB or not.

I would have been down with this had they included the disk drive at $699, but as it is, I seriously doubt I'm getting the Pro unless I see some compelling reviews from multiple third parties.

Ridicululzz

Maybe, it really depends on the future games. My PS5 has served me well so far, and really I was only annoyed playing Rebirth and having to choose between performance and quality. I don’t think I’ll be replaying Rebirth anytime soon so I’ll probably just wait on it for now lol

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I can actually easily afford it and was planning to, but with this pricing i will wait until I see a reason to buy one. I need to be sure I can play any existing and future games on current quality mode on at least 60fps. If not, I might as well have a smashing evening out with my wife instead. :D

Last edited:

aclar00

I found it funny that they were doing the comparison video and it looked pretty much the same.

I was pausing and squinting.

Fuck, im not even sure why Last of Us 2 would even need this shit. Its an already enhanced PS4 game, that would presumably be at 4k 60 on base PS5? Makes me wonder if the next one on PS5 is going to essentially look the same.

taizuke

I'm not going to spend more than $800 just so they release the PS6 in 4-5 years and have to break the bank again.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ah fuck it. I’m in. Just ordered the disc drive while I still could.

I got a promotion this year, might as well treat myself. Can’t wait to play Astro’s Play Room in locked 4K

dem

The thing that gets me is the 2 TB SSD. That is absolutely a cash grab. No reason why this thing cannot have a 1 TB SSD when it has non-proprietary storage options. That is what pushed the price up $100 further than what is reasonable in my mind.

The PS5 to PS5 Pro is like upgrading from a 6650 XT to a 7700. That's a $250 GPU to a $400 GPU. $150 difference. But here, in order to get $150 bump in performance, we are forced to pay $250 whether we need that 2 TB or not.

I would have been down with this had they included the disk drive at $699, but as it is, I seriously doubt I'm getting the Pro unless I see some compelling reviews from multiple third parties.

As with Apple.. the storage is a cheap way to upsell.

Sure, physical media on PC is effectively dead and everyone's buying digital licenses tied to different storefronts.
You have a plethora of storefronts competing with each other, like in a real market with competition. Holds the prices down.
Then you have far more frequent sales everywhere compared to consoles.
Then you have the option to backup your games on a hard drive in the unlikely case some storefront goes down for good.
Then you have things like GOG where everything comes without DRM to begin with and can be played offline entirely.
That's why digital on PC is a different beast than digital on console.

SantaBanana

Not at that price no. I also kept my normal ps4 and didnt upgrade to a ps4 pro back in the days. I dont like buying the same thing twice.

Wont stop me from enjoying the games

CLW

Cocky Sony is 1000000000000% back

That price and no disk drive and no stand is really bs

I assume the best argument for it is inflation - haven’t checked but I’m betting $600 2020 is probably $700ish today so the real value lost is the drive but getting 1 extra tb sad

But my son has practically taken over the ps5 so he/I need another one

Rambotito

It's going to be like $20,000 down here south of the border with VAT and import tariffs. Not a chance. You could buy an Xbox Series X and the Switch 2 for that price.

I don't know about you gringos. But around here physical media is usually cheaper.
That's not an option for PC games though.

Personally I don't like discs. It's too retro gaming for me. But it's cheaper.

Top Bottom