• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Japanese price and new PS2 model announcements looming

kpop100 said:
Anyone who thinks it will be more than $300 needs to pass what they're smokin this way. PS3 wont even be more than $300.

Well i remember PS2 here in Europe selling for more than 400€ so i dont understand your comment..........also didnt Xbox started at around 350/400 €/$?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Bluemercury said:
Well i remember PS2 here in Europe selling for more than 400€ so i dont understand your comment..........also didnt Xbox started at around 350/400 €/$?
He probably means it won't be more than $299.99 in the US, which is what Sony/Kutaragi has said. Everywhere else, well you are on your own.

Brofist

Defensor said:
He probably means it won't be more than $299.99 in the US, which is what Sony/Kutaragi has said. Everywhere else, well you are on your own.

yeah that is what I meant.

refreshZ

DSN2K said:
I hope sony are ready to lose money on PSP. :)

I'm sure they've got a bit in the bank...

spiderman2.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DSN2K said:
I hope sony are ready to lose money on PSP. :)

You hope a hardware manufacturer is ready to lose money on the initial launch of a new hardware product.... wow you're like a new age fuckin Ms. Cleo.

Tell me will the sun rise and set tomorrow too?

DSN2K

DarienA said:
You hope a hardware manufacturer is ready to lose money on the initial launch of a new hardware product.... wow you're like a new age fuckin Ms. Cleo.

Tell me will the sun rise and set tomorrow too?

where did that come from ? :|

I should have said alot of money, it must cost a bomb to make just looking at the screen.

DSN2K said:

I should have said alot of money, it must cost a bomb to make just looking at the screen.

yeah thats a very stupid statement. Sony won't sell it for a loss. They aren't fools.

BuddyC

Doom_Bringer said:
yeah thats a very stupid statement. Sony won't sell it for a loss. They aren't fools.
I thought the general consensus was that hardware manufacturers do lose money on the initial launch of a new hardware product.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DSN2K said:

Don't mind me, I'm cranky in the morn... eh I'm crank in the afternoo.... I'm cranky all the time. ;)

It stands to reason that the launch of both of the new hardware pieces from Sony and Nintendo is probably going to be at a loss because of the "current" generation pieces of hardware tech in each.

Earlier in the year Chris Deering told MCV they weren't prepared to take a loss on the hardware because the market was so different (tie ratios etc), but he's only Sony Europe... I can't remember if Kaz or anyone else has commented on the price.

Whether they take it at a loss or not, I hope it's cheap, with cheap games. I want dirt cheap GBAs, a handsome price for DS and the forthcoming GBA2, and either an affordable PSP or ipod-like attractivity for PSP.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am wondering if I should do the old switcheroo and trade in my PS2 for $100 credit while I still can. = /

then pick up one of these redesigns.

Tabris

I wonder how the HDD will hook into the PSTwo if the network adapter is built in.

They must have that hdd connection inside the actual machine, so you slide it in the opposite way, then put the cover on.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm afraid there is no HDD for the new PS2 model. I'd be surprised if Sony managed to fit one in that thing. BTW, stop to call it "PStwo"

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I know this will be $299. Apple made that so. They know people are shelling out more than that for the iPod. In Sony's mind there's way more functionality in the PSP, so they could charge whatever they wanted and we'd (well I would to a point) pay it regardless.

BuddyChrist83 said:
I thought the general consensus was that hardware manufacturers do lose money on the initial launch of a new hardware product.
Consoles, though, can count on more games being sold per system to help make up for such differences. Of course, since Sony presumes it will be expanding the portable market anyway, it might think PSP will have a much higher tie ratio than GB/C/A anyway.

jarrod

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Not in the handheld arena... attach rates generally aren't high enough to support a razor/blades model.... there's always the chance Sony could change that but it's a risky proposition a year before they have to eat PS3 hardware losses...

DaCocoBrova said:
I know this will be $299. Apple made that so. They know people are shelling out more than that for the iPod. In Sony's mind there's way more functionality in the PSP, so they could charge whatever they wanted and we'd (well I would to a point) pay it regardless.
iPod~ 3 million installed base after 3 years
GBA~ 55 million installed base after 3 years

...fyi, Sony mentioned they plan to move 3 million PSPs by March 2005...

Chittagong

Gold Member
My bet in before E3 2004 was

Nintendo DS 199USD
PSP 399USD

I'm still sticking with my NDS figure, but I'm starting to have second thoughts on the PSP figure. My updated guess is

PSP 299USD / 39 900 yen initially, assuming earlier Jap launch.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
TTP said:
I'm afraid there is no HDD for the new PS2 model. I'd be surprised if Sony managed to fit one in that thing. BTW, stop to call it "PStwo"

People are gonna stop calling it "PStwo" when you tell us what you know ;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
48000 PSP

29980 PStwo
i wonder if there is any substance to the rumour that the control ports on the machine have changed and the mem card slots have totally gone?

DCharlie said:
48000 PSP

29980 PStwo
i wonder if there is any substance to the rumour that the control ports on the machine have changed and the mem card slots have totally gone?

Er, if I'm reading that right, how would you save your game?

Arcticfox

They might use the same memory stick slots as the PSP, seeing as current PS2 memory cards are the same base technology as memory sticks just in a bigger package.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Arcticfox said:
They might use the same memory stick slots as the PSP, seeing as current PS2 memory cards are the same base technology as memory sticks just in a bigger package.

That move would just alienate the entire userbase of PS2's. Unless Sony includes a memory stick slot or even a adaptor for memory stick/PS2 memory card, I just don't see this happening.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
$249 for PSP. I don't think Sony is looking to price match DS, to be quite honest. A higher price means a higher perceived value, which will help when price drops occur (and the REAL sales begin).

Since early adopters are willing to pay more, pricing as high as $300 shouldn't hurt them at all in the long run. I bet you that lots of them will be going for more than that on eBay.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DCharlie said:
48000 PSP

29980 PStwo

Nope. They are there and they are the same. Actual Multitap wont work tho. You will soon discover why ;)

Top Bottom