• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 Reportedly sold more in one day at $350 than all year at $550

Fbh

Gold Member
It's almost like an accessory (or something most people will perceive as an accessory) sells better when it doesn't cost more than the console.
For $350 I might have considered buying one.
Sadly Sony in my country has it "on sale" for $630 lol

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Mark, if they didn't have eye tracking, didn't have an OLED with HDR, didn't have haptics, what exactly would have made it that different to a PSVR1? These things are to make it attractive as a product. PSVR1 is still there as a cheaper product, last gen PS4 tech alternative, playable on PS5. Those things are there to make the product better.

He proved my point that he didn't understand what minimum viable product is.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It was 2350% and you can't sell fractions of a unit so minimum if you assume jokingly 1 for the entire year it would be 2350 in a day.

dicaprio-boobies.gif

leonardo saying GIF

I wish stock markets would work like your maths for percentage increases

Reminder : 2 units over 1 is a 100% increase

Now how many units 2350% increase from initial value of 1 is?

24.5 units.. let’s round it to 25 ;)

jk for the whole 1 unit sold in a year of course

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Mark, if they didn't have eye tracking, didn't have an OLED with HDR, didn't have haptics, what exactly would have made it that different to a PSVR1? These things are to make it attractive as a product. PSVR1 is still there as a cheaper product, last gen PS4 tech alternative, playable on PS5. Those things are there to make the product better.
The PS5 hardware and it's games. I concede that the OLED, eye tracking, and haptics are neat, hell they're awesome, but as I stated earlier, I believe it was an overshot. Price and software is what matters in the console business. There are always exceptions, but PSVR2 is showing that it probably isn't one of those.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
The PS5 hardware and it's games. I concede that the OLED, eye tracking, and haptics are neat, hell they're awesome, but as I stated earlier, I believe it was an overshot. Price and software is what matters in the console business. There are always exceptions, but PSVR2 is showing that it probably isn't one of those.
There are a lot of preconceived opinions about PSVR2 from armchair critics, but you can’t discuss the value of something until you have experienced it. That’s PSVR2s biggest hurdle, imho.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

And your belief is pulled entirely from whole cloth. It comes from nowhere.

What I tried to tell you is that there was a base level of performance Sony sought out to create a marketable device in the PSVR2. This is based on contracts with various 3rd party companies. The difference in price for a lot of these features would have likely been negligible and the trade off to performance likely would not have been worth it.

Do you know how you can probably tell that? Because if Sony thought they could sell a cheaper PSVR2 more successfully without OLED, they would probably do it.

The first PS Vita was OLED and they phased it out for cheaper LCD models.

You also fail to recognize as I've mentioned already, Sony was always going to price the PSVR2 to absorb R&D costs, which likely wouldn't have changed much simply by using different components.

Sony can afford to sell the PSVR2 for 350 and as I said if they're not doing that to liquidate inventory, it means they're able to sell it now for around that cost having pay off much of their R&D costs if not all of it. The aggressive cut in price suggests either a permanent price cut is on the horizon or they'll be discontinuing the product soon.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
And your belief is pulled entirely from whole cloth. It comes from nowhere.

What I tried to tell you is that there was a base level of performance Sony sought out to create a marketable device in the PSVR2. This is based on contracts with various 3rd party companies. The difference in price for a lot of these features would have likely been negligible and the trade off to performance likely would not have been worth it.

Do you know how you can probably tell that? Because if Sony thought they could sell a cheaper PSVR2 more successfully without OLED, they would probably do it.

The first PS Vita was OLED and they phased it out for cheaper LCD models.

You also fail to recognize as I've mentioned already, Sony was always going to price the PSVR2 to absorb R&D costs, which likely wouldn't have changed much simply by using different components.

Sony can afford to sell the PSVR2 for 350 and as I said if they're not doing that to liquidate inventory, it means they're able to sell it now for around that cost having pay off much of their R&D costs if not all of it. The aggressive cut in price suggests either a permanent price cut is on the horizon or they'll be discontinuing the product soon.
*Edit: I just deleted a wall of text because I don't even think you know what you are arguing. You're habitually attempting to refute arguments that I'm not even asserting. I think that your speculative assumptions of the inner workings of Sony are not only irrelevant, but completely miss the point. You seem to not be able to comprehend my very reasonable assertion that Sony designed a VR headset, that while really cool, isnt what the market wanted. Hence, why they paused production earlier this year and are now slashing $200 off the price. Here's to hoping they turn it around.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
There are a lot of preconceived opinions about PSVR2 from armchair critics, but you can’t discuss the value of something until you have experienced it. That’s PSVR2s biggest hurdle, imho.
I understand you, as VR has to be experienced to truly appreciate it. The problem is that people will discuss perceived value, even if it is unjustified. I commend Sony for going all out with the feature set, but the market doesn't seem to care, at least at the $550 price point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In Canada it still cost $749.99 CAD, you are out of your fucking mind if you think I'm willing pay that much on this thing that barely has the games for my taste.

Last edited:
In Canada it still cost $749.99 CAD, you are out of your fucking mind if you think I'm willing pay that much on this thing that barely has the games for my taste.
Wait for it to come here. No need to pay the launch price at this point.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wait for it to come here. No need to pay the launch price at this point.
i think at this point I rather save up my money for Nintendo’s next system than buy overpriced PSVR2.

With Nintendo at least I know they will have games for my taste especially from Monolith Soft.

i think at this point I rather save up my money for Nintendo’s next system than buy overpriced PSVR2.

With Nintendo at least I know they will have games for my taste especially from Monolith Soft.
You do you. It’s clearly not overpriced though.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
*Edit: I just deleted a wall of text because I don't even think you know what you are arguing. You're habitually attempting to refute arguments that I'm not even asserting. I think that your speculative assumptions of the inner workings of Sony are not only irrelevant, but completely miss the point. You seem to not be able to comprehend my very reasonable assertion that Sony designed a VR headset, that while really cool, isnt what the market wanted. Hence, why they paused production earlier this year and are now slashing $200 off the price. Here's to hoping they turn it around.

Again, try to keep up.

Sony didn't put out the PSVR2 thinking it was going to sell 20 million units. They built a VR headset to stay engaged in the market in case the market turned heavily towards VR. Not every product is positioned to be a big market seller.

Sony could have designed the PSVR2 to be a stand-alone unit, they didn't. They could have made it wireless, they didn't. The reality is they probably made it as cheap as they could given the minimum viable product. And like I said, post sales Sony could have released a version that did not have OLED. You ignored this because it doesn't fit into your narrative. Sony probably looked at a non-OLED model and determined the price wouldn't be considerably less and it would require additional marketing resources, and still not shift significant units.

There is no real price they could have sold this for significantly less from the get go and still had this be a measurable improvement over the PSVR1, which was still had an MSRP of above 300 dollars. Certainly not from launch.

For some reason people struggle to understand product goals. If the goal is to stay involved in VR to potentially catch market winds, but NOT take a loss in the process, you get exactly what you get with the PSVR2.

Just like Sony has an accessibility controller, they're not expecting people who aren't in the market for that controller to buy it. They sold PSVR2 to die hard VR fans, who paid a premium to buy it.

The only question that remains is whether they're out of the VR business or if they're squeezed enough blood from the core VR community and are now aiming for something more mainstream with PC compatibility.

StereoVsn

Again, try to keep up.

Sony didn't put out the PSVR2 thinking it was going to sell 20 million units. They built a VR headset to stay engaged in the market in case the market turned heavily towards VR. Not every product is positioned to be a big market seller.

Sony could have designed the PSVR2 to be a stand-alone unit, they didn't. They could have made it wireless, they didn't. The reality is they probably made it as cheap as they could given the minimum viable product. And like I said, post sales Sony could have released a version that did not have OLED. You ignored this because it doesn't fit into your narrative. Sony probably looked at a non-OLED model and determined the price wouldn't be considerably less and it would require additional marketing resources, and still not shift significant units.

There is no real price they could have sold this for significantly less from the get go and still had this be a measurable improvement over the PSVR1, which was still had an MSRP of above 300 dollars. Certainly not from launch.

For some reason people struggle to understand product goals. If the goal is to stay involved in VR to potentially catch market winds, but NOT take a loss in the process, you get exactly what you get with the PSVR2.

Just like Sony has an accessibility controller, they're not expecting people who aren't in the market for that controller to buy it. They sold PSVR2 to die hard VR fans, who paid a premium to buy it.

The only question that remains is whether they're out of the VR business or if they're squeezed enough blood from the core VR community and are now aiming for something more mainstream with PC compatibility.
Personally I think they are done with VR2 and are clearing out inventory.

They haven’t been investing in VR games lately. And It doesn’t make sense for Sony to bank on PC market since at $350 they aren’t making much money (if at all) on the hardware.

They don’t have any VR capable games on PC to sell. And VR capable PC will easily go for over double PS5 cost so it’s not really a “mass” market anyways.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Personally I think they are done with VR2 and are clearing out inventory.

They haven’t been investing in VR games lately. And It doesn’t make sense for Sony to bank on PC market since at $350 they aren’t making much money (if at all) on the hardware.

They don’t have any VR capable games on PC to sell. And VR capable PC will easily go for over double PS5 cost so it’s not really a “mass” market anyways.

I wouldn't put much stock into how much investment Sony has in their own VR games. They weren't a major VR developer on PSVR1 either. A lot of the stuff they farm out externally.

I wouldn't be surprised if GT7 comes out on PC. You don't sell VR to new gamers, you sell them to people who are already hardcore gamers.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I said it should have been $299 at launch and it's too fucking late now to get the userbase, every dev worth a shit has abandoned VR.

Bond007

I barely use mine. I like knowing I have it available and letting others experience it- the tech was worth it at $550 imo.
BUT- the long term wow factor is not. Especially when it matches the console price.

While perhaps not feasible at launch - $350 is the right price in the console eco system.

Your math also make no sense, because your 'rounded up' number of console sold correspond to a 2400% increase of the previous year shipment. For the given percentage to make any sense you must concede that PSVR 2 has sold at least 2 unities in the past year, that give us 49 unities on its first day of sale . :/

Audiophile

Shameless self-quote from main PSVR2 thread:

"If we posit $200-300m R&D for PSVR2, BoM @ ~$265 a unit and round up to $300 for additional costs. They've probably been selling this thing for over $200 profit a unit since launch and if we approximate a very conservative ~1.5M units sold at or near full retail price, then they've likely recovered their R&D costs by now and are well in profit on the overall endeavour.

They could probably cut the price permanently to ~$300-350 and still be making a little profit on every unit while expanding the userbase significantly, in turn bolstering the market more and increase VR software revenue.

At this point I'd let things settle while stock clears, let PS5 Pro get out in the wild + get the PC-PSVR2 functionality up an running well, then 6mths down the line release a $299 hardware revision of the current unit & a $399 version that's functionally identical but with wireless and a lower persistence display. Then pair it up with a major marketing push."

Quest 3 is stand alone as well as Wired and Wireless to a PC at $500. The PSVR2 needs a PS5 for $550 which is bullshit. It's a garbage deal.

I said it should have been $299 at launch and it's too fucking late now to get the userbase, every dev worth a shit has abandoned VR.
Bethesda?

VR thankfully has Capcom showing how conversions can be done. There's lots of great dev teams making VR games. Most are a handful of people with shoestring budgets.

I assume you have an unwarranted hate boner for VR because it doesn't make any sense to shit on small teams who are trying new things.

it’s current form and amount of games it has I still think its not worth the price.…at least for me.
I think the current games are phenomenal.

But to the point about it being overpriced, I think it's pretty objectively untrue. If it comes to Canada at $485 it would be a steal compared to the competition.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This demonstrates that if the price were better, FAR more people would have bought in earlier, resulting in a better lineup of games, which would further support and grow it, and offer more value to the few who did spend over $500 for it.

Botched strategy.

This demonstrates that if the price were better, FAR more people would have bought in earlier, resulting in a better lineup of games, which would further support and grow it, and offer more value to the few who did spend over $500 for it.

Botched strategy.
It's a pretty standard strategy. You need to move through at a higher price to pay for your development costs. They've done that. And the strategy worked apparently.

Last edited:
It's a pretty standard strategy. You need to move through at a higher price to pay for your development costs. They've done that. And the strategy worked apparently.
It's "standard strategy" to not support your product, and put it out at a higher price than the console that runs it, and as a result has lower than expected sales? I really don't think everything is going according to plans at Sony over this product. Some of you guys will absolutely defend Sony no matter what they do.

Aaron Olive

Eat crow Wonko_C I was right and Sony did it.

There's nothing unreasonable about my expectations, the PS VR2 hardware shouldn't cost $550-6 with tax for 2 wands and a headset I would accept $350 but they are price gouging killing the adoption.

BTW your analogy is way off and sounds ridiculous.
RTX4090
4 controllers
3 games
$200
4a4.gif

My ask were simply a headset and 2 wands anywhere from $250 to $350-4 with tax.
The other innovations will come with time which I'm willing to wait for.

Last edited:

Botched strategy.
I hear you but the line up would have been the same, from Sony at least. Sony is truly doing fuck all when it comes to internal support for the headset. Capcom and 3rd parties are carrying it, though I do give Sony credit for funding Village and RE4.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It not having a psvr1 library is biggest mistake. No games no reason to buy
Eh? There's far better PSVR2 games, not having the original PSVR2 library was a big fumble but it's not a deal breaker considering the quality of the games for it not to mention the massive difference in quality between headsets

BlackTron

I hear you but the line up would have been the same, from Sony at least. Sony is truly doing fuck all when it comes to internal support for the headset.

You can't say you know that support from Sony would be "fuck all" even if the headset sold well, and even there was no change, what about third parties? My point stands...

Astray

Weird that they didn't do this price drop when they were actually releasing some vr games that needed to be in consumers hands.

Top Bottom