• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure how many people need to say this but USB-C can't power these devices by itself. Even the Quest 3 will run off battery power when you connect it to PC and slow drain while you're charging it.

When Sony designed the headset the vision was VirtualLink, but PC didn't move forward with that. That would have allowed a single USB-C cable and my guess is if Sony knew VirtualLink was DOA, they would have designed the PSVR2 around wireless and gave it a battery pack. They sacrificed wireless in order to reduce the weight and cost, because wireless wasn't ready for primetime.

It releases tomorrow.
Interesting, so what is the power draw of the headset, since nowadays even PC ports have (they are generally marked with some color) can deliver like 45W, which should be more than enough. And yes that port on my PC can power Quest 3 normally. But its not all, so obviously for ensuring that all people will have good experience, this approach is understandable.

JimboJones

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends
?

At this point, I think they are sold online only direct from Sony.
They really don't want it to have any chance of success then.
Overpriced with no game support, then "open" it up to work on a platform that has games, neuter features, require a proprietary adapter and only sell it through your store.

Sony makes very odd decisions.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yet you keep crying about not getting an inferior version of HL Alyx.
Alyx using the features of PSVR2 would easily be the best version.

The Sense controllers are alone are better than any other VR controllers by such a large margin.

//DEVIL//

Im sure Sony would pay for the port. It has nothing to do with desperation

Sony also generates them tons of Software royalties now that their exclusives are on the platform

I just don’t get why they can’t come to an agreement
If I have to guess, Sony is stupid ?

Same reason why they won’t remake bloodborne ?

They don’t see the game having a huge multi million sale to justify paying for the port.

Not sure how much it sold on PC either . Maybe sales weren’t that high enough for Sony to have an eye on it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Alyx using the features of PSVR2 would easily be the best version.

The Sense controllers are alone are better than any other VR controllers by such a large margin.
Higher resolution(s), performance and mods are easily better than HDR and vibrations.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sorry to derail but does the quest 3 have a way to use a single cable like the psvr2 to allow constant power and pc gameplay?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sorry to derail but does the quest 3 have a way to use a single cable like the psvr2 to allow constant power and pc gameplay?
Yes. A great good quality usb c cable but the video feed is compressed. It will power the headset but the last time I looked it would still drain faster the it charges.

FingerBang

Could have fooled me, nowhere has it listed and it cannot be pre-ordered anywhere. In the UK, I've got no idea where I could even buy it. I don't believe for a second that places like Argos or Currys will stock it either so walking into a store and buying one doesn't seem likely.
Yep, so weird. You'd expect to be able to preorder this thing, but nope, not available anywhere in the UK

Yerd

Where do you buy this thing? It's not on the PS store, not on amazon. Does it no show up until the 7th? I ain't goin out into the real world to buy it, don't even try to suggest it. I live in vrsburgh of course.

daffyduck

There blog says “selected retailers” and PSN direct. Maybe Sony doesn’t want it listed anywhere until tomorrow.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Could have fooled me, nowhere has it listed and it cannot be pre-ordered anywhere. In the UK, I've got no idea where I could even buy it. I don't believe for a second that places like Argos or Currys will stock it either so walking into a store and buying one doesn't seem likely.

Who cares, you'll at least be able to order it on direct. What's wrong with you?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Interesting, so what is the power draw of the headset, since nowadays even PC ports have (they are generally marked with some color) can deliver like 45W, which should be more than enough. And yes that port on my PC can power Quest 3 normally. But its not all, so obviously for ensuring that all people will have good experience, this approach is understandable.

You need a port that will deliver power and simultaneously deliver audio and video.

Assuming you're using the default equipment, you should notice the Quest 3 is draining in power while connected to your PC.

M1chl

You need a port that will deliver power and simultaneously deliver audio and video.

Assuming you're using the default equipment, you should notice the Quest 3 is draining in power while connected to your PC.
Its actually staying at around same % of the battery, if plugged to PD port, so it can sustain its run. However charge + play, does not work, in a sense, that it would charge it to 100% while playing. I am not sure how much is Quest 3 able to pull from the port. Power + audio/video (display port protocol) in USB-C is what basically every notebook has or monitor with USB-C input. Technology exists, but its probably on more high end mother boards, given that I don't buy anything else.

Zathalus

Yeah, one of the most popular games on earth doesn’t count for “reasons”. But he is just trying to dunk on Valve for being extremely popular even though they don’t make many games, despite Steam as a store front and community platform being miles ahead of literally anything else.

Im sure Sony would pay for the port. It has nothing to do with desperation

Sony also generates them tons of Software royalties now that their exclusives are on the platform

I just don’t get why they can’t come to an agreement
Half Life Alyx is basically a killer app for VR gaming and valve is using it as a way to get people into their ecosystem. Why would they give that up to help Sony sell more VR units?

These companies are in the business of getting people in their ecosystems now it’s not just about selling copies of games anymore.

This is all very true and sad

It seems like the software side of Sony had zero desire to do the little things to make this successful

No AstroBot…No Half Life….

Its not like we are asking for a new AAA god if war VR game….

Sony most likely realized they are stretching themselves too thin with trying to pump out games. Look how long it’s taking them to release new first party games for PS5, it would be a waste for them to use more resources to create stuff for PSVR 2 when the hardware sales for PSVR 2 is pretty much none existent.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Valve doesn’t care about their VR ecosystem.

Let them cook

On top of supporting and updating steamVR even as of late, including the steam link app for meta quest headsets

You're simple oblivious to PCVR

Gabe does not want a bottom of the barrel cheap headset. When deckard is ready it'll be a game changer.

drezz

Wait, it uses Bluetooth? Bluetooth and VR is a very bad combination :messenger_poop:
Here's me using BT with PSVR2 running a single cable through my 2080TI.

This is 1m away from the BT adapter, when I was 5m away in the doorway it was stuttering and when I took a step behind the wall(Still 5 m) it was UNPLAYABLE.

I guess I can get a USB extender and plug in the BT cable and have that dragged into the other room.

Three

Its actually staying at around same % of the battery, if plugged to PD port, so it can sustain its run. However charge + play, does not work, in a sense, that it would charge it to 100% while playing. I am not sure how much is Quest 3 able to pull from the port. Power + audio/video (display port protocol) in USB-C is what basically every notebook has or monitor with USB-C input. Technology exists, but its probably on more high end mother boards, given that I don't buy anything else.
USB-C doesn't guarantee Power Delivery spec. I dont think the quest can operate at the higher 15V profile anyway.

Valve cares more about theirs then Sony cares about theirs.
Valve has done even less than Sony in terms of officially supporting their headset.

Last edited:

M1chl

USB-C doesn't guarantee Power Delivery spec. I dont think the quest can operate at the higher 15V profile anyway.

Valve has done even less than Sony in terms of officially supporting their headset.
That's not what I said, in previous post I specified, that it is just a few ports, which are marked

Three

That's not what I said, in previous post I specified, that it is just a few ports, which are marked
I know. I'm just pointing out that not all USB-C ports are equal. The specification is not so "universal" now. Some USB ports aren't even capable of delivering video via DP Alt Mode. The Quest is also not able to draw >45W PD because it isn't capable of the higher voltage modes/profiles.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Yeah, "historically"....just like the idea of Valve actually making games instead of sitting on a basic storefront
Valve has only 300 people working for them. They don’t have the staff to pump out games and be both a developer of games, a publisher and a comprehensive storefront. They are literally the picture of efficiency compared to other companies. Part of their success is because they pick and choose their battles.

The storefront is not “basic”. It’s full of advanced features no other store can seem to emulate. Compared to Steam they are all shit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Kids today are growing up with virtual reality, and this kinda reminds me of the psvr1 ps4 to ps5 adapter

71BgMvUHKiL.jpg

Three

There blog says “selected retailers” and PSN direct. Maybe Sony doesn’t want it listed anywhere until tomorrow.
I think they will only sell it through PS Direct and limited stores for a while as is often the case with items that have little need for mass distribution (would probably only expect 1 or 2 sales each brick and mortar store) or have low margins.

Kupfer

Here's me using BT with PSVR2 running a single cable through my 2080TI.

This is 1m away from the BT adapter, when I was 5m away in the doorway it was stuttering and when I took a step behind the wall(Still 5 m) it was UNPLAYABLE.

I guess I can get a USB extender and plug in the BT cable and have that dragged into the other room.

BT dongle is for the controllers only?

Last edited:

Allandor

PC gamers get to play Half Life on PSVR2, meanwhile PS5 players dont

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it
Why didn't they just make it compatible to psvr games without patches ...
It's not like the psvr2 can't do things psvr1 could. It is just a driver related issue they could have make compatible. But the complete reboot of the market was killing the product on purpose...
The market was already small, how could they think it would be a good idea to do that.

Top Bottom