• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Indeed. Not only do pancake lenses have the overall best image quality right now, Meta is also arguably the best lens designer in the industry at the moment.

Yup, Meta has by far the best optics in the industry. Not all pancake lenses are on the same level, even the high-end headsets from bigscreen beyond and Apple vision pro don't achieve the quality of Meta's optics. They are blurrier and lower contrast than Quest 3's.

This is the kind of stuffs that aren't put on paper stats sadly.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can overlook the mura.

There's literally nothing is worse than mura (tongueincheek), except perhaps back in the days when headsets were 3 dof. /shudders

Story time, I hated the Oculus CV1's OLED mura with a passion. And not only that, it also had the shitty pentile arrangement like the PSVR2 has (although to be fair, the resolution difference is not comparable) :(

Last edited:

Bry0

There's literally nothing is worse than mura, except perhaps back in the days when headsets were 3 dof. /shudders

Story time, I hated the Oculus CV1's OLED mura with a passion. And not only that, it also had the shitty pentile arrangement like the PSVR2 has (although to be fair, the resolution difference is not comparable) :(
I really don’t even notice it unless I try to look for it.

Haint

What is a pancake lense? Does that just mean it's flat?

A lens with a much larger sweetspot (i.e. edge to edge clarity), but is more complex and expensive to produce, and with the massive trade off of cutting light emittance by 95%+ Which results in very dim cheap displays (i.e. Quest 3), or stupidly expensive displays (i.e. Apple Vision Pro) to counteract the light loss.

Last edited:

Three

Then why I don't notice any CA anywhere in quest 2? Or it needs to be zoomed in to notice?
If you have a properly set up Quest 2 or PSVR 2 then you wouldn't notice CA that much like you do in the camera pictures posted here. if you stick a camera too close or misaligned to a Quest 2 or PSVR 2 to be outside of the focal point of these lenses. Especially using a camera with thick lenses itself you will see CA in the captured images.

What-is-Chromatic-Aberration-Chromatic-aberration-explained.png

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If you have a properly set up Quest 2 or PSVR 2 then you wouldn't notice CA that much like you do in the camera pictures posted here. if you stick a camera too close or misaligned to a Quest 2 or PSVR 2 to be outside of the focal point of these lenses. Especially using a camera with thick lenses itself you will see CA in the captured images.

What-is-Chromatic-Aberration-Chromatic-aberration-explained.png
I don't notice any on 2, or at least is extremely "light" like in this video (time stamped):

Look at the tire on the right. You can see the red "line" in it only on PSVR2.

And I was talking about this option to disable CA globally in Side Quest App:

sidequest-settings.jpg

But looks like this just forces off software's that have CA. xD

Three

I don't notice any on 2, or at least is extremely "light" like in this video (time stamped):

Look at the tire on the right. You can see the red "line" in it only on PSVR2.

That's because he's aligned and focused his camera well on quest 2. You can still see a slight blue at the top near fringes. He hasn't done the same on the PSVR2 though. He hasn't aligned nor focused correctly for some reason.

And I was talking about this option to disable CA globally in Side Quest App:

sidequest-settings.jpg

But looks like this just forces off software's that have CA. xD
Yeah that's just turning off CA in games that try to simulate chromatic aberration for 'realism'.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
That's because he's aligned and focused his camera well on quest 2. You can still see a slight blue at the top near fringes. He hasn't done the same on the PSVR2 though. He hasn't aligned nor focused correctly for some reason.

He’s one of the best through the lenses reference. PSVR2 is just that fucking hard to find the sweet spot with camera. It’s legit the worst VR optics to date, I don’t even recall DK1 being that bad.

Three

He’s one of the best through the lenses reference. PSVR2 is just that fucking hard to find the sweet spot with camera. It’s legit the worst VR optics to date, I don’t even recall DK1 being that bad.
What makes the optic particularly bad? It makes no sense to have a "sweet spot" that's different on an identical fresnel lens. If you had said it's harder to align the two eyes on a particular device then perhaps but it makes no sense for a single eye shot through an identical fresnel lens.
If somebody says what game/app he's using for that eye test board I bet I can take a better shot on my cam.

Last edited:

Haint

I bought this piece of shit technology and would avoid the whole thing like the plague. The headset tracking is perfect but the controllers are absolute dogshit. I tried a USB extension cable, unplugging every other BT device I own, and nothing makes it any better. The worst thing is, one controller tracks fine, and the other one gets stuck and shakes all over the place, and on top of that, its a different one each time I play.

Avoid this piece of shit its a waste of money.

So yeah the issue seems to be the TP Link adapter, Sony probably tested an earlier (or foreign market) revision, or TP Shit stealth swapped in some inferior components. The Asus adapter was bulletproof for like 4 hours yesterday where as the TP shit would constantly drop tracking every few minutes. I'm sure there are people running into genuine interference or bad USB ports, but the TP Link adapter is 1000% a guaranteed point of constant failure on top of the other issues.

Last edited:

Yerd

So yeah the issue seems to be the TP Link adapter, Sony probably tested an earlier revision (or foreign market) version, or TP Shit stealth swapped in some inferior components. The Asus adapter was bulletproof for like 4 hours yesterday where as the TP shit would constantly drop tracking every few minutes.

Do they have proprietary TP link drivers or can you use the drivers provided through windows update?

My MB has an all in one intel Wifi/bluetooth/NIC device that gets it's drivers from windows update. I never downloaded any intel software, and it works fine. This thing is on the motherboard so I would guess whatever interference they want you to avoid by using a USB further away from the adapter port, is heavier, because it's surrounded by every USB port on the PC.

my MB is mini ITX and it's in a XTIA case, so there's zero distance from any USB port.

Haint

Do they have proprietary TP link drivers or can you use the drivers provided through windows update?

My MB has an all in one intel Wifi/bluetooth/NIC device that gets it's drivers from windows update. I never downloaded any intel software, and it works fine. This thing is on the motherboard so I would guess whatever interference they want you to avoid by using a USB further away from the adapter port, is heavier, because it's surrounded by every USB port on the PC.

my MB is mini ITX and it's in a XTIA case, so there's zero distance from any USB port.

I used it the first hour or two on the default Windows driver, then when it became clear it was consistently failing, downloaded the device drivers on TPLink's website. That particular dongle (TPLink UB500) straight up doesn't work with the Sense controller's radios (and/or Sony's software), it's full on busted seemingly irrespective of drivers, USB port location/version, or how many tinfoil extender antennae you try to attach to it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
What makes the optic particularly bad? It makes no sense to have a "sweet spot" that's different on an identical fresnel lens. If you had said it's harder to align the two eyes on a particular device then perhaps but it makes no sense for a single eye shot through an identical fresnel lens.
If somebody says what game/app he's using for that eye test board I bet I can take a better shot on my cam.

Sorry for late reply but I was far in the forest this weekend..

What do you mean the fresnel lens are identical? Just like pancake lenses, every VR manufacturer have their own fresnel optics.

I'm sure finding it with eyes (depending on head shape) is easier than putting a decent camera up there and have the right focus at the right distance at the right sweet spot. Since PSVR2 sweet spot is smaller than Quest 2, it seems more difficult with his camera setup.

Three

Sorry for late reply but I was far in the forest this weekend..

What do you mean the fresnel lens are identical? Just like pancake lenses, every VR manufacturer have their own fresnel optics.

I'm sure finding it with eyes (depending on head shape) is easier than putting a decent camera up there and have the right focus at the right distance at the right sweet spot. Since PSVR2 sweet spot is smaller than Quest 2, it seems more difficult with his camera setup.
I'm asking what you believe makes the "sweet spot" on a single lens and how it can possibly differ for the same fresnel lens with the same focal length these VR headsets use. The fresnel lenses are near identical. It's not more difficult at all to align and focus.

What do you believe is the cause of Sony, a company very familiar with lenses, creating bad lenses. What technical specification exactly do you think is "bad" about the lens to somehow create a smaller "sweet spot"?

This got me curious if meta is going to stick to lcd in the future. they are the current king of brightness, resolution, and clarity but will they give some of that up for black levels? Doubtful

haven’t tried oled vr myself so not sure how distracting the drawbacks are vs the added contrast. I hear oled has brightness issues so I’m wandering if it’s feasible to stack oled panels like the new iPad does to achieve much higher NITS and get the best display possible (likely a pro priced product)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I'm asking what you believe makes the "sweet spot" on a single lens and how it can possibly differ for the same fresnel lens with the same focal length these VR headsets use. The fresnel lenses are near identical.

Simplifying optics and light refraction in micro groove edges Fresnel lenses into "near identical" just because they look similar enough is not where I thought you wanted to take this.

There's companies dedicated to optics R&D and its as important as display technologies. Not everybody is on the same pedestal for optics, at all. There's still patents being written for fresnel optics to this day, including Sony's godray mitigation patent with fresnel lenses.

Even the Reverb G2 was famous for having widely different sweet spots headset to headset as they had problems with QA control, from the same manufacturer or lenses.

It's not more difficult at all to align and focus.

I guess all VR tech pros and reviews of PSVR 2 mentioning the small sweet spot are just for some reason, baiting us? Including the reddit PSVR reddut sub filled with peoples having trouble finding it?

What do you believe is the cause of Sony, a company very familiar with lenses, creating bad lenses. What technical specification exactly do you think is "bad" about the lens to somehow create a smaller "sweet spot"?

Who says anything about bad lenses? They are apparently pin-sharp when in the zone. They picked a tradeoff, there's always tradeoffs in optics, but to put PSVR2 sweet spot as anything but tiny is getting ridiculous. For all I know, they tried to reduce godrays that OLED + HDR with high nits would generate and the result of that mitigation is that tiny sweet spot. Quest 2 does not have that mitigation to fight with. In the end this is the result, PSVR 2 has one of the smallest sweet spot for fresnel lenses. I also would not put Sony team on a pedestal as if they cannot make mistakes, pentile matrix OLED is a regression from them.

Three

Simplifying optics and light refraction in micro groove edges Fresnel lenses into "near identical" just because they look similar enough is not where I thought you wanted to take this.
There's companies dedicated to optics R&D and its as important as display technologies. Not everybody is on the same pedestal for optics, at all. There's still patents being written for fresnel optics to this day, including Sony's godray mitigation patent with fresnel lenses.

Even the Reverb G2 was famous for having widely different sweet spots headset to headset as they had problems with QA control, from the same manufacturer or lenses.

I guess all VR tech pros and reviews of PSVR 2 mentioning the small sweet spot are just for some reason, baiting us? Including the reddit PSVR reddut sub filled with peoples having trouble finding it?

Who says anything about bad lenses? They are apparently pin-sharp when in the zone. They picked a tradeoff, there's always tradeoffs in optics, but to put PSVR2 sweet spot as anything but tiny is getting ridiculous. For all I know, they tried to reduce godrays that OLED + HDR with high nits would generate and the result of that mitigation is that tiny sweet spot. Quest 2 does not have that mitigation to fight with. In the end this is the result, PSVR 2 has one of the smallest sweet spot for fresnel lenses. I also would not put Sony team on a pedestal as if they cannot make mistakes, pentile matrix OLED is a regression from them.
A "sweet spot" is a spatial characteristic of a lens. I assume with sweet spot you mean that the area that provides focus is small. This is not affected by nits, or lateral light scattering reduction to prevent god rays. If anything it results in a clearer better quality optic that prevents the god rays which you see in a quest 2, without affecting peak brightness due to the higher nits possible with OLED. All it does is prevent some light getting through, it doesn't change the focal characteristics of the lens. ie, the "sweet spot" is unaffected.
Now if people were to say the sweet spot is more difficult with both eyes for a given headset then other factors come into play too, that is a little more believable. I don't see anything that makes focusing on one fresnel lens that different from focusing on another fresnel lens when they have near identical focal distance and characteristics. Preventing scattered light doesn't change your focal characteristics at all. To me this seems like wishy washy claims with no science behind it at all. As I said I bet I can take better images with a cam easily.

Haint

I'm asking what you believe makes the "sweet spot" on a single lens and how it can possibly differ for the same fresnel lens with the same focal length these VR headsets use. The fresnel lenses are near identical. It's not more difficult at all to align and focus.

PSVR2 has FAR fewer "God Rays" than any other Fresnel headsets, so I'm assuming that is the design trade off for a worse/smaller sweetspot.

PC gamers get to play Half Life on PSVR2, meanwhile PS5 players dont

What’s the issue in making a port? Why won’t Sony pay for it, or why is Valve not cooperative?

I don’t get it

1) Sony explicitly paid money to keep the only other AAA VR games (Resident Evil's) off of Valve's headsets and platform.
2) Valve supposedly still has designs on releasing a standalone headset (likely powered by Steamdeck 2 guts) and want to retain Alyx as an "exclusive" marketing bulletpoint.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
A "sweet spot" is a spatial characteristic of a lens. I assume with sweet spot you mean that the area that provides focus is small. This is not affected by nits, or lateral light scattering reduction to prevent god rays. If anything it results in a clearer better quality optic that prevents the god rays which you see in a quest 2, without affecting peak brightness due to the higher nits possible with OLED. All it does is prevent some light getting through, it doesn't change the focal characteristics of the lens. ie, the "sweet spot" is unaffected.
Now if people were to say the sweet spot is more difficult with both eyes for a given headset then other factors come into play too, that is a little more believable. I don't see anything that makes focusing on one fresnel lens that different from focusing on another fresnel lens when they have near identical focal distance and characteristics. Preventing scattered light doesn't change your focal characteristics at all. To me this seems like wishy washy claims with no science behind it at all. As I said I bet I can take better images with a cam easily.

WTF lol

There's YEARS of discussions about VR headsets sweet spots and fresnel lenses. Its not wishy washy claims. A Reverb G2 does not even approach a Pimax sweet spot for example, nor an Index's.

Please do take better images with a cam, "easily", please do.

Three

PSVR2 has FAR fewer "God Rays" than other Fresnel headsets, so I'm assuming that is the design trade off for a worse/smaller sweetspot.
Yes it does this by preventing scattered light which has a tradeoff of reducing display brightness (light passing through the lens). However the display being a high nit OLED means there is no tradeoff for reduced godrays. This doesn't change the focal characteristics of a lens though.

WTF lol

There's YEARS of discussions about VR headsets sweet spots and fresnel lenses. Its not wishy washy claims. A Reverb G2 does not even approach a Pimax sweet spot for example, nor an Index's.
There are for headsets. Now explain the science for a single fresnel lens with near identical focal distance and how the "sweet spot" can differ without wishy washy claims of "numerous people have discussed things".

Last edited:

Haint

No, they paid money to make the port happen to begin with.

Without Sony’s money it wouldn’t exist

They initially paid a combined $5 million for demo exclusivity and 1 year of RE7's VR mode. Regardless of the revisionist history face-saving you may have seen, there's zero chance Capcom wasn't already developing VR features long before Sony came tipping their moneyhat, the game was literally built around it from ground zero. This is perhaps why Valve is so salty about it, it's quite probable they supplied Capcom with dev kits and support well before Sony did. "Officially" the exclusivity window was 1 year (disclosed in marketing legalese/fine print at the time), but given its success and knowledge of PSVR's anemic roadmap, we can safely surmise Sony realized it was the closest thing to a system seller the platform would ever see and struck additional deals for permanent exclusivity. You really think Mark CuckerBucks and Valve weren't offering Capcom money to port RE7? Of course they were, but Sony had binding contracts in place and the entire Playstation ecosystem as leverage.

Last edited:
They initially paid a combined $5 million for demo exclusivity and 1 year of RE7's VR mode. Regardless of the revisionist history face-saving you may have seen, there's zero chance Capcom wasn't already developing VR features long before Sony came tipping their moneyhat, the game was literally built around it from ground zero. This is perhaps why Valve is so salty about it, it's quite probable they supplied Capcom with dev kits and support well before Sony did. "Officially" the exclusivity window was 1 year (disclosed in marketing legalese/fine print at the time), but given its success and knowledge of PSVR's anemic roadmap, we can safely surmise Sony realized it was the closest thing to a system seller the platform would ever see and struck additional deals for permanent exclusivity. You really think Mark CuckerBucks and Valve weren't offering Capcom money to port RE7? Of course they were, but Sony had binding contracts in place.

No the contract was to develop the mode, the only revisionist history is your own post

Village and RE4 had similar deals

Last edited:

Haint

No the contract was to develop the mode, the only revisionist history is your own post

Village and RE4 had similar deals

If you believe that's true, it simultaneously requires you to also believe the guy who has dumped around $100 Billion US dollars into VR wasn't willing to pay Capcom a few million dollars to port the VR mode to Oculus once the 1 year window expired.

If you believe that's true, it simultaneously requires you to also believe the guy who has dumped around $100 Billion US dollars into VR wasn't willing to pay Capcom a few million dollars to port the VR mode to Oculus once the 1 year window expired.

Technical reasons are likely why that wasn’t feasible, not without a much more significant overhaul

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
There are for headsets. Now explain the science for a single fresnel lens with near identical focal distance and how the "sweet spot" can differ without wishy washy claims of "numerous people have discussed things".

No, you go have fun going against the internet's decade known phenomena and widely discussed subject. Go have fun on /r/PSVR and tell them its all in their head. Go email Tyriel Wood and tell him he's shit at taking pictures of PSVR2 lenses because sweet spot is not a problem for you, as you claim, you can easily take it. While at it, MRTV too, since his own through the lens is pretty much like Tyiel. Take a snapshot of your messages and email and report back.

Explain with science? Are you for fucking real?
Sweet spot phenomena is something we notice with our fucking eyes. I ain't gonna do a PhD in optic physics, build a startup and get a few patents under the belt to explain to you the exact why. Who the fuck thinks like that, anyone in this very thread, you included, would even explain that kind of detail in optics. The fucking ring/edge pattern towards the center is not at the same distances for all we know, I don't care that fucking much the why I'll tell you that, it's the end result, period. One thing for certain is how cute you think fresnel optics solutions are all identical. Don't even bother replying honestly, just the fact you think its identical optics pretty much says it all.

Three

No, you go have fun going against the internet's decade known phenomena and widely discussed subject. Go have fun on /r/PSVR and tell them its all in their head. Go email Tyriel Wood and tell him he's shit at taking pictures of PSVR2 lenses because sweet spot is not a problem for you, as you claim, you can easily take it. While at it, MRTV too, since his own through the lens is pretty much like Tyiel. Take a snapshot of your messages and email and report back.

Explain with science? Are you for fucking real?
Sweet spot phenomena is something we notice with our fucking eyes. I ain't gonna do a PhD in optic physics, build a startup and get a few patents under the belt to explain to you the exact why. Who the fuck thinks like that, anyone in this very thread, you included, would even explain that kind of detail in optics. The fucking ring/edge pattern towards the center is not at the same distances for all we know, I don't care that fucking much the why I'll tell you that, it's the end result, period. One thing for certain is how cute you think fresnel optics solutions are all identical. Don't even bother replying honestly, just the fact you think its identical optics pretty much says it all.
So again emotional wishy washy stuff, got it. Nobody said all fresnel lenses are identical stop talking nonsense. I'm asking you what characteristic of a fresnel lens you believe results in a narrow "sweet spot", fresnel lenses designed for the same focal distance and are near identical and you've continously failed to come up with one. I didn't say sweet spot is nonexistent. As I said there are other factors that come into play when placing a headset on your head and aligning two images. However you have yet again failed to come up with a logical explanation as to how a camera through a single fresnel lens can have a narrow sweet spot and what about said fresnel lens would make it have such a thing. Your rebuttal is to bring up the poorly captured shot that we're discussing in the first place and tell me to have fun. Great, but if you can't answer that simple question just say you don't know. P.S. guess what my PhD is actually in.

Last edited:

Resenge

So again emotional wishy washy stuff, got it. Nobody said all fresnel lenses are identical stop talking nonsense. I'm asking you what characteristic of a fresnel lens you believe results in a narrow "sweet spot", fresnel lenses designed for the same focal distance and are near identical and you've continously failed to come up with one. I didn't say sweet spot is nonexistent. As I said there are other factors that come into play when placing a headset on your head and aligning two images. However you have yet again failed to come up with a logical explanation as to how a camera through a single fresnel lens can have a narrow sweet spot and what about said fresnel lens would make it have such a thing. Your rebuttal is to bring up the poorly captured shot that we're discussing in the first place and tell me to have fun. Great, but if you can't answer that simple question just say you don't know. P.S. guess what my PhD is actually in.
Can you explain why on my quest 2 I can move the headset up and down more without the image going fuzzy but on the PSVR 2 the headset has to be in a perfect position or the image is fuzzy. There is definitely a difference between the 2 headsets.

Not arguing, I am interested.

Last edited:
So, I can confirm, the Tp-Link-bluetooth dongle was the culprit. With the ASUS one I played around 2 sweaty hours of SUPERHOT VR (Fuck, I love this game) without even a tiny hitch in the controller tracking.
Now, after a weekend away from home, I will start HL Alyx for the first time ever tonight... I am a bit excited.

Three

Can you explain why on my quest 2 I can move the headset up and down more without the image going fuzzy but on the PSVR 2 the headset has to be in a perfect position or the image is fuzzy. There is definitely a difference between the 2 headsets.

Not arguing, I am interested.
I can't say exactly for your case but usually it's the position of the lens relative to your eye being a greater distance so a small angle change with the headset moving around on your head results in greater distance changes off the focal point. This is a result of how well the headset sits on your face and your scope adjustment. This wouldn't affect a camera on the single lens.

Last edited:

Three

Still waiting on T Three ’s camera capture

With a PhD in optics :rolleyes:
I can take one for you later today. I asked you several posts ago but you seem to have trouble keeping track of what's being discussed. Just let me know what app game that is or I can use an image on the net to capture it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I can take one for you later today. I asked you several posts ago but you seem to have trouble keeping track of what's being discussed. Just let me know what app game that is or I can use an image on the net to capture it.

You think I have to explain anything, I don’t.

Not a single capture through the lens has the PSVR2 right, find me one, there isn’t. Every single videos we saw since the release of PSVR 2 this same question comes back, why is it blurry, why more than the others

You’re the PhD in optics, you should already have the answer.

The test is called ROV Test FOV & Resolution, on steam.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I used it the first hour or two on the default Windows driver, then when it became clear it was consistently failing, downloaded the device drivers on TPLink's website. That particular dongle (TPLink UB500) straight up doesn't work with the Sense controller's radios (and/or Sony's software), it's full on busted seemingly irrespective of drivers, USB port location/version, or how many tinfoil extender antennae you try to attach to it.
Yep 100%. Doesnt matter what you do the tracking is shit using that dongle. This whole thing was a complete waste of money and I feel sorry for anyone who buys this piece of shit. In a few months i'm sure there will be a list of components that actually do work but until then best thing to do is not even entertain the idea of throwing money at trying to make this work

My first experience with vr was about two months ago with a quest 3. I was completely blown away.

Bought a psvr2 during the sale and I was not impressed because the lenses really do kind of suck. I use the quest 3 with virtual desktop for things like browsing, youtube, streaming, etc, and it all works great. It's like having a portable movie theater monitor. When I use my psvr2 I want to get the hell out of the menu screen as quickly as possible to avoid all text. It's not as noticeable in game, I'll give you that. I had originally planned to get the adapter but after I experienced that, forget it. The quest 3 is the only device I'd ever pair with my pc.

Also have to add that speakers are way better than earbuds. The psvr2 wire is always attached which is just awful and the controllers aren't sold separately. There's a lot of moving parts and if anything breaks your screwed.

Three

You think I have to explain anything, I don’t.

Not a single capture through the lens has the PSVR2 right, find me one, there isn’t. Every single videos we saw since the release of PSVR 2 this same question comes back, why is it blurry, why more than the others

You’re the PhD in optics, you should already have the answer.

The test is called ROV Test FOV & Resolution, on steam.
I already gave you the answer. With people using the headset there are other factors that come in not related to the lens/optic. This isn't the same thing. And before you say "whos said the lens/optic is bad" again go back and read what was discussed. Then look at most captures and complaints of blur in a near identical Fresnel lens like in a Quest 2.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My adapter arrived and my PSVR2 is going to be delivered this afternoon.
My wife is out later so I’ve got the evening free to tit about.

Hopefully be able to compare PSVR2 to Quest3 on a RTX 3060ti.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I already gave you the answer. With people using the headset there are other factors that come in not related to the lens/optic. This isn't the same thing. And before you say "whos said the lens/optic is bad" again go back and read what was discussed. Then look at most captures and complaints of blur in a near identical Fresnel lens like in a Quest 2.

I don’t believe your PhD in optics honestly. All these “identical” fresnel lenses you mention and saying you could capture a through the lens “easily” are a huge red flag. Might as well take a picture of that diploma on your way to take pictures easily through the lens.

The blur compared to Quest 2 is easy enough, for one PSVR2 has lower sub pixel count than Quest 2. PSVR 2 also has a coating on the display to reduce screen door effect but it doesn’t help with resolution.

There’s many optimization solutions in designing a fresnel lens. Do you have the exact convex dimensions? The thickness? Distance from display? No? How do you even go about and say they are identical, mind blowing. For all we know, a more convex lens would introduce more distorsion in the camera as eyes can laser focus on a center, cameras don’t.

In the end, not a single through the lens on PSVR 2 managed to make it as clear as Quest 2. Multiple different peoples throughout a year and a half in often multiple different analysis when introducing new headsets. They all passed word to each others to make Quest 2 or other fresnel PCVR headset to look better than PSVR2, every single time. Everyone is against Sony and plotting to showcase it in a bad light, since you can easily capture through the lens

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

So say they are “identical” lenses (again :rolleyes:) So either meta/PCVR headsets have the miracle recipe to remove chromatic aberration of fresnel lenses or everyone is against Sony, on top of the user experience which is clear as day that it doesn’t need to move much to lose the sweet spot. So Sony fucked it up by inserting that identical lens into their headset in a bad position/distance and force everyone to struggle finding the sweet spot, so in the end Meta understands the user experience better? Pick your poison in this “identical” lens theory.

Sony’s move away from PSVR’s aspherical lenses and full RGB display is a regression.

Last edited:
Top Bottom