• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

A little heads up, if you bought the TP-Link-BT-Adapter as Sony recommended. There are more than one accounts (me included) that they have a problem with buggy positional tracking. I sent mine back and will now test the ASUS one. Apart from that, I fucking LOVE that I can use the Set on my PC now. Modded Skyrim VR, here I come!

It also seems that “100%” resolution on the psvr2 on steam is really something like a 2x supersample. Of your performance is rough that’s probably why.
This seems consistent with other users but you’re the first person I’ve seen suggest the super sample used at “100%”

Nice impressions. I want to try it on PCVR when I’m able to.

Haint

A little heads up, if you bought the TP-Link-BT-Adapter as Sony recommended. There are more than one accounts (me included) that they have a problem with buggy positional tracking. I sent mine back and will now test the ASUS one. Apart from that, I fucking LOVE that I can use the Set on my PC now. Modded Skyrim VR, here I come!

There are volumes of the same complaint on the PSVR2PC reddit.

Last edited:

dave_d

Thing is, my PC doesn't have USB 2.0 anymore... have it on a extender cord. Hope for people stuck with it, that it works!
Sorry to hear that. I've seen people on reddit claim there's a bug in the bluetooth spec that causes issues with any bluetooth on 3.0. The guy said the biggest difference was downloading the latest drivers. (I was thinking of getting the asus adapter but I hear it had the same issues.)

Sorry to hear that. I've seen people on reddit claim there's a bug in the bluetooth spec that causes issues with any bluetooth on 3.0. The guy said the biggest difference was downloading the latest drivers. (I was thinking of getting the asus adapter but I hear it had the same issues.)
Damn, I will see tomorrow, the ASUS one is on its way.

Yerd

I have not played it again since the first day I got it, but my onboard WIFI/bluetooth chipset seemed to work fine. It's an intel something or other. Once I got around the hurdles of the PSVR app install.

The only game I actually loaded up was No Man's Sky. Which I had never tried in VR before. I didn't spend that much time on it because I was having no fun after the installation hassle I went through, and I was not interested in relearning how to play with a different control scheme. I'm sure I will spend some more time eventually, but I've spent years playing that game and gave up not too long ago, because I had enough of it.

I don't actually own too many VR titles. I have HL: Alyx but never finished it on my Index. I do plan to run it again with PSVR. I'll probably start a new game.

Freeman76

I have the recommended BT adapter, and the left controller tracking is utter shit. The right one is better, but im not that far from the PC so its not a distance issue. Head tracking is perfect. Pisses me off as I spent £100 on this set up and it doesnt even work properly

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have the recommended BT adapter, and the left controller tracking is utter shit. The right one is better, but im not that far from the PC so its not a distance issue. Head tracking is perfect. Pisses me off as I spent £100 on this set up and it doesnt even work properly
Sony did a horrible job of releasing an unfinished product.

Hmm my controller has tracking problem. I used the Tp-link usb dongle Sony suggested and the controller still has tracking problem wtf.
And even greater now my pc doesn't regconize the controller anymore...

Everyone on reddit said should use the Asus usb but it isn't available in my country...

Freeman76

There are volumes of the same complaint on the PSVR2PC reddit.
I bought this piece of shit technology and would avoid the whole thing like the plague. The headset tracking is perfect but the controllers are absolute dogshit. I tried a USB extension cable, unplugging every other BT device I own, and nothing makes it any better. The worst thing is, one controller tracks fine, and the other one gets stuck and shakes all over the place, and on top of that, its a different one each time I play.

Avoid this piece of shit its a waste of money.

Yerd

I just bought a new face gasket thingamajig. It says it increases space for glasses wearers. It adds a plastic magnetic quick change piece between the silicon gasket. Until I get prescription lenses, I'm going to see if this helps at all.

I'm currently looking through a list of the best games for VR, since my library is kind of lacking in VR titles. Have to add the VR mods for RE 7 and 8. I own 7 and only played a couple hours or so in normal and wasn't compelled to continue. I read the VR mod is pretty good.

Someone in the PSVR2 main thread commented that you could have the dualsense control the ship in NMS. I'm playing on PC so I will see if that works at all. I mistakenly put my comment in that thread about how dogshit the NMS piloting controls are for VR. I want to like it but the controls are horrible for flying, making it unplayable for me.

GHG

Gold Member
Makes me want a quest 3.

The quest 3 is fantastic.

Honestly if the PSVR 2 had pancake lenses with the OLED screens then it would be unbeatable, it would result in a huge up-tick in clarity and would probably beat the quest 3 but as it stands it doesn't look like it's a tangible improvement that warrants quest 3 owners going out and getting one for PC use.

GHG

Gold Member
Judging by the letters showing chromatic aberration he's moved the camera lens far too close to the VR lens.

Yeh it's likely a result of the fresnel lenses vs the pancake lenses in the quest, but even still that gives people an idea of how things can pan out if you fall outside of the narrow sweet spot of the psvr2.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeh it's likely a result of the fresnel lenses vs the pancake lenses in the quest, but even still that gives people an idea of how things can pan out if you fall outside of the narrow sweet spot of the psvr2.
It's not just outside the sweet spot really, there's all sorts of issues with the fresnels and the diffuser

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Three

I would believe that but his quest 2 shots don't exhibit chromatic aberration (Quest 2 is much worse) and they don't have pancake lenses. He's done a shit job of doing a fair comparison. If it mattered it would be shit for quest 2 too. He should calibrate them all the same.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's not just outside the sweet spot really, there's all sorts of issues with the fresnels and the diffuser

So Sony likes blurriness on VR too, not only consoles... -_-'

I would believe that but his quest 2 shots don't exhibit chromatic aberration (Quest 2 is much worse) and they don't have pancake lenses. He's done a shit job of doing a fair comparison. If it mattered it would be shit for quest 2 too. He should calibrate them all the same.
You can disable CA on Quest 2.

Last edited:

Three

By defying physics? Both the PSVR2 and Quest 2 use the same fresnel lenses. You even get CA on pancake lenses but it's reduced. You can't disable CA on anything. You're thinking of game CA (added to make the game/UI look like it's been filmed on a lens) which can be disabled no matter what headset or display you use. Not the same thing at all.

Last edited:
The adapter and the controller tracking seems to be working flawlessly for me so far. I did have problems setting the play area first but it got resolved when I switched USB port (found the solution on reddit, seems like a common problem).

I've never tried any other VR headset on PC but I am extremely impressed by this one. Everything looks sooo much better than on the PS5, I honestly didn't expect the difference to be so huge.

GHG

Gold Member

Goodness grief... You should just focus on hating on consoles, because judging by this and the deck thread, whenever you step outside of that it goes horribly wrong.

I'd agree there but again it goes back to the quirks of various fresnel lenses. The camera settings and position that he used for the quest 2 probably won't have been appropriate for the PSVR2, but on the other hand because the quest 3 has pancake lenses it's very forgiving from a visual clarity and sweetspot perspective.

I've seen some comments on the video stating the PSVR2 has more clarity in person once you're in the sweet spot compared to what this video shows, but it's still not as clear or detailed as the Quest 3.

Three

Quest 2 and PSVR2 looks to have the same sort of resolution but PSVR2 would have a much brighter display, better colours and of course those OLED blacks.
The quest 2 is a lower res display. How he's managed to get a lower res screen using the same fresnel lenses with compressed video display output on top looking better than a higher res screen using uncompressed video is an accomplishment. Think about that. There is absolutely no explicable reason for it other than a shit comparison. It comes down to him fine tuning the distance between the cam and lens on the quest 2 video he's taken but going as badly as he can on the PSVR2 captures.

Last edited:

Three

Goodness grief... You should just focus on hating on consoles, because judging by this and the deck thread, whenever you step outside of that it goes horribly wrong.

I'd agree there but again it goes back to the quirks of various fresnel lenses. The camera settings and position that he used for the quest 2 probably won't have been appropriate for the PSVR2, but on the other hand because the quest 3 has pancake lenses it's very forgiving from a visual clarity and sweetspot perspective.

I've seen some comments on the video stating the PSVR2 has more clarity in person once you're in the sweet spot compared to what this video shows, but it's still not as clear or detailed as the Quest 3.
The quest 2 doesn't have a better sweet spot though. It's the same fresnel lenses as the PSVR2. It's just as difficult to get the correct distance between lens and the cam. He's fine focused on the Quest 2. Yet didn't do the same on PSVR2 captures he's taken.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The quest 2 is a lower res display. How he's managed to get a lower res screen using the same fresnel lenses with compressed video display output on top looking better than a higher res screen using uncompressed video is an accomplishment. Think about that. There is absolutely no explicable reason for it other than a shit comparison. It comes down to him fine tuning the distance between the cam and lens on the quest 2 video he's taken but going as badly as he can on the PSVR2 captures.
So you are saying that in real life PSVR2 looks sharper than Quest 2?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

I think this comparison is likely to be a better representation of how they stack up (quest 2 not included):

Based on their respective spec sheets along with the direct connection vs the compressed one I wouldn't doubt that to be honest.

The quest 2 doesn't have a better sweet spot though. It's the same fresnel lenses as the PSVR2. It's just as difficult to get the correct distance between lens and the cam. He's fine focused on the Quest 2. Yet didn't do the same on PSVR2 captures he's taken.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying the sweet spot is better on the Quest 2. It just seems that he had the camera set up perfectly for the quest 2 and then carried those same settings across to the other headsets.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Three

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying the sweet spot is better on the Quest 2. It just seems that he had the camera set up perfectly for the quest 2 and then carried those same settings across to the other headsets.
Oh I see, possibly but why? He could have just moved it/focused the same as he did for Quest 2 until he got the picture. He seems to have very finely tuned the Quest 2 to its absolute best focus. On PSVR 2 he's done an absolutely poor job of it to the point where it looks like he didn't even try at all. When the lenses are the same, when the sweetspots are not different, when it's a single eye comparison so I can't say he didn't adjust lens pitch, how has he ended up doing this on multiple captures? (he's not done it in one take because the distance out of focus seems to change between the different games/test programs he's compared. He's kept his cam perfectly focused for Quest 2 in each one though.)

Yes.

Last edited:

Three

I think this comparison is likely to be a better representation of how they stack up (quest 2 not included):

I'm seeing some truly bad CA (cockpit text comparison at 2:33) there too from not adjusting cam distance properly but there I don't blame them since it's more difficult with fresnel and it exhibits it more.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
By defying physics?
Then why I don't notice any CA anywhere in quest 2? Or it needs to be zoomed in to notice?

Tell us more about navigation on Windows handheld sucking but navigating with a dpad on Steam Deck game mode is good.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Then why I don't notice any CA anywhere in quest 2? Or it needs to be zoomed in to notice?

The only reason you wouldn't "notice" it is if you've never sampled anything better and gone back. CA is present for all VR headsets that have fresnel lenses.

Tell us more about navigation on Windows handheld sucking but navigating with a dpad on Steam Deck game mode is good.

sam winchester yawn GIF

That's not what I ever communicated but please carry on. Feel free to respond to me in the Steam Deck thread on the topic in your own time.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The only reason you wouldn't "notice" it is if you've never sampled anything better and gone back. CA is present for all VR headsets that have fresnel lenses.
Or because it's so light than you can notice only zoomed.

psvr2-vs-quest-3-pcvr-through-the-lens-v0-s04mb09prphd1.jpg

psvr2-vs-quest-3-pcvr-through-the-lens-v0-pb8dfeq3qphd1.jpg

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Or because it's so light than you can notice only zoomed.

psvr2-vs-quest-3-pcvr-through-the-lens-v0-s04mb09prphd1.jpg

That's not what I'd describe as "light" my friend. Those lenses also introduce a ton of distortion which exasperate the issue.

When you get the opportunity to sample pancake lenses you'll see what I mean. It's one of those things that you might not realise until you experience it because of the amount of compensation our brains and eyes do while in VR.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's not what I'd describe as "light" my friend. Those lenses also introduce a ton of distortion which exasperate the issue.

When you get the opportunity to sample pancake lenses you'll see what I mean. It's one of those things that you might not realise until you experience it because of the amount of compensation our brains and eyes do while in VR.
If this is not light that you need zoom to see then Bloodborne is unplayable. Distortion yes, is very noticeable.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If this is not light that you need zoom to see then Bloodborne is unplayable. Distortion yes, is very noticeable.

You don't need zoom to see it because the lenses are quite literally in your face. The CA is present across the whole image, that's just how it is.

Haint

I bought this piece of shit technology and would avoid the whole thing like the plague. The headset tracking is perfect but the controllers are absolute dogshit. I tried a USB extension cable, unplugging every other BT device I own, and nothing makes it any better. The worst thing is, one controller tracks fine, and the other one gets stuck and shakes all over the place, and on top of that, its a different one each time I play.

Avoid this piece of shit its a waste of money.

I suspect it's an issue with the TPLink adapter (they are notorious for undisclosed component downgrades/changes within the same "model"), or possibly untested issues on Sony's part with specific chipsets (probably AMD, another common issue with them).

LOL, had to be a herculean task to somehow make Quest 3 look brighter than PSVR2. Q3 lenses are certainly better, but outside of trying to read small or peripheral text it's barely noticeable in actual 3D rendered content. Certainly nowhere close to the massive delta in brightness, colors, and contrast.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

The pancake lenses are a game changer. That’s just facts. I actually wish I never played games on the Quest 2 first. Because I’m starting to replay some games on the Q3, and it’s night and day clarity. Even when games didn’t get Q3 updates, like RE4.

Last edited:

Yerd

What is a pancake lense? Does that just mean it's flat?

I played No Man's Sky one more time after someone tipped me off that you can use a regular controller during flight. It does in fact work. But, you can't navigate the start menu with the controller. You can control the ship and use the quick menu. If you hit the Start/Pause button the sticks and buttons no longer function.

Last edited:

Yerd

I keep getting this issue every time I end my VR session.

Once I go back to windows my mouse pointer disappears on the right half of the screen. It still functions, but you can't see the pointer. I had to enable the option to locate the mouse pointer with the cntrl button. It appears to be exactly at the center line of the monitor. Left half of the screen no issue.

I can clear it by logging out and back in to windows.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The quest 3 is fantastic.

Honestly if the PSVR 2 had pancake lenses with the OLED screens then it would be unbeatable, it would result in a huge up-tick in clarity and would probably beat the quest 3 but as it stands it doesn't look like it's a tangible improvement that warrants quest 3 owners going out and getting one for PC use.

If Sony had went with pancake lenses then the dimming of nits with OLED would be terrible. That's why pancake lenses are matched with LCD as of now for the cheap headsets, and micro-OLED for the expensive ones.

PSVR 2 subpixel numbers are so bad that even with the loss of quality from USB-C or airlink or virtual desktop (the best), Quest 3 looks higher res.

What is a pancake lense? Does that just mean it's flat?

Not at all, more curved than fresnel in fact, but they reduce the thickness of the optical solution a lot, along with massive clarity almost anyway the lenses end up being in front of your eyes, no minuscule sweet spots like fresnel.

On left Pancake lenses, on right fresnel

i91hkvwqs6x71-1568x774.webp

2e02d336859bcfc39feef6443f71495c36c4a242.jpg

Rather than using a big distance for angle correction like fresnel lenses (thick), pancake lenses are multi-lenses curved and stacked together where light will make multiple bounces in that stack to then go to the eyes, but shortens the distance drastically.

Also loses brightness in those bounces, the why they are paired with LCD or Micro-OLED. Not a compatible technology with say, PSVR2's OLED screens. ~90% of light is lost. This is why there's so much hope for >10k nits micro-OLED displays in the coming year(s).

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The pancake lenses are a game changer. That’s just facts. I actually wish I never played games on the Quest 2 first. Because I’m starting to replay some games on the Q3, and it’s night and day clarity. Even when games didn’t get Q3 updates, like RE4.
Indeed. Not only do pancake lenses have the overall best image quality right now, Meta is also arguably the best lens designer in the industry at the moment.

It's a shame they don't have a headset with a micro-OLED configuration - Yet..

Ironically my next headset might have glass aspheric lenses, but haven't done the final decision yet.

Last edited:

Bry0

I own Q2, Q3, and psvr2 so I’ll share my opinion on some of this.

Psvr2 definitely has the worst chromatic aberration, but overall I think clarity is comparable to quest 2, I find the lenses to be pretty similar. BUT the psvr2 fov is a lot bigger and this really does a lot to alleviate that “binocular” effect which I find much more immersive.

People say the psvr2 sweet spot is small but I have very few issues with it compared to the quest 2 and index which are extremely front heavy and require constant readjustment as it slips and gets blurry. Quest 3 obviously wins here too because of the pancake lenses. Those style lenses absolutely beat fresnel and I wish psvr2 had something similar.

Quest 3 clarity is absolutely unmatched thanks to those lenses, but the fov is noticeably smaller than the psvr2 once I get them on, maybe only slightly better than the quest 2.

Thing for me is, quest 2 and 3 simply don’t have very impressive colors or contrast. Those things are so dramatically better on the psvr2 that I can overlook the CA and mura. Darkness in the psvr2 genuinely feels cold and dark, combined with the fov I find that it tricks my brain in a really convincing way. The quest 3 still kind of feels like I’m looking through the eye sockets of a gas mask.

Overall it’s really a mixed bag and a lot depends on what you value the most. I don’t think the stream compression is “bad” at all on quest per se, but it can actually stick it sometimes BECAUSE the quest 3 is so clear, which I never noticed much on q2. But having no wire is awesome!

Again, it’s all tradeoffs. Personally I just really love the oleds and the immersion it brings me, so I’m happy to look past some of the flaws. I’d probably still recommend the quest 3 to someone who doesn’t have a ps5, but if you game on ps5 and pc I think the psvr2 is pretty sweet at the discount prices of 350-400. 550 is a bit too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom