• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 PC gaming adapter reviews

DanEON

The position of the controllers is where you would more easily notice latency, but that is determined by the four cameras in the headset, independently from the Bluetooth connection, and since it's wired it should be as low latency as with the PS5.
Bluetooth controllers suffers interference from 2.4ghz wi-fi. For better connection, just disable the 2.4ghz wifi of your router.

TIGERCOOL

My first impressions are good overall. Got it set up without any issues. Driving with a 3080 12gb and 5800X3D, HL Alyx is running at over 4000 pixels per eye by default, second highest fidelity preset. Opted for 90hz for stability

No problems with Bluetooth, no latency or tracking issues. I got a pcie wifi/Bluetooth 5.3 card with antennas a month back, which seems to be the best case scenario. Running at this res, the game looks beautiful. Up there with the very best I've seen on ps5, and without any reprojection or foveated rendering keeps things surprisingly crisp edge to edge.

Colours look great, even without HDR. I don't find myself missing the haptics much.

The same downsides with are present. The subpixel structure still adds that low grade fuzz, though it's harder to notice with the supersampling. I still get occasional "warbling" in the image. There's a bit of motion blur from the oled panel, mitigated by dropping the brightness down.

Have had some weird frame dips in HL:A that seem to occur when I'm looking directly at a wall in the game or near loading zones. I'm assuming that's an engine issue.

Overall having a lot of fun with the game. Having a VR lobby is nice too, the whole thing is definitely better thought through and seamless than Sony's solution of returning you to 2d mode between games.

Seems like a really solid PCVR headset at minimal additional cost for existing owners (assuming you have a decent rig). Excited to try more games soon.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
haha. I was busy and didn't get to check yesterday, but when I try to find one today it's all sold out. oh well, I'll just wait for when it's restocked.

Last edited:

night13x

So funny random story.

I ordered the adapter off of Amazon on Tuesday when it first came available. Said friday delivery. This morning got an email saying it shipped and will be here tomorrow. Fist pumping "yeah" in the air knowing I will get it earlier than expected. Took me 5 minutes to realize tomorrow IS friday.

Im retarded.

Looking forward to testing it out. Carry on.

TIGERCOOL

Poor Ian got struck with hardware issues.

I bet he didn't disable his onboard bluetooth before trying to connect the controllers to his new adapter. Should delete them from the device manager list, disable his mobo bluetooth, then pair with the tp-link. Another issue could be that he's connecting his adapter to a 3.0 USB. Some people just can't truebleshoot.

TIGERCOOL

Think I'll buy one of these, my PC doesnt have bluetooth though, has anyone used this?

Also, is there anything else I need apart from the Adapter and BT Dongle?

Buying this purely to play Alyx
Get a display port 1.4 cable as well if you only have the one that you use for your monitor.

People using dongles - even the recommended ones - have had some issues... recommend getting a 5.2 + pcie card with an antenna if you can find a good deal.

If you stick with the dongle make sure it's on the front of your PC with a clear line of sight to your controllers, and plugged into a USB 2.0 slot (not 3.0). That will help with the worst of the issues, I think.

Last edited:

willothedog

Get a display port 1.4 cable as well if you only have the one that you use for your monitor.

People using dongles - even the recommended ones - have had some issues... recommend getting a 5.2 + pcie card with an antenna if you can find a good deal.

If you stick with the dongle make sure it's on the front of your PC with a clear line of sight to your controllers, and plugged into a USB 2.0 slot (not 3.0). That will help with the worst of the issues, I think.

Why 'line of sight' Bluetooth is not infrared or microwave :lollipop_confused:

Bry0

It's so interesting regarding FOV between these two because it seems like the one impression where there is no consistent result between Quest 3 and PSVR2 among users. My conclusion was very similar to this test with Q3 seeming much smaller FOV but so many Q3 owners say it's the opposite.
Yeah it’s kinda odd. As good as the q3 lenses look with regard to edge to edge clarity, I never really felt like the fov was as good as I thought it would be before it launched. And while people tend to knock the psvr2 lenses, having owned both a quest 2 and index in the past, I think the psvr2 lenses are the best of the fresnel lenses I’ve tried. The index and quest 2 were both insanely front heavy which didn’t help.

qSjjNnq.jpeg

Half-Life: Alyx here we come

Got my adapter from Sony Direct in just a little over 24 hours with standard shipping. Not too shabby.

But I didn't realize I needed a Displayport cable to use it so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play around with it. Tried a HDMI->Displayport cable but it doesn't seem to accept it.

Freeman76

Sorry I'm really not tech savvy at all. What is the 1.4 cable? I have my PC connected to my TV, do I need another port or something.

drezz

Sorry I'm really not tech savvy at all. What is the 1.4 cable? I have my PC connected to my TV, do I need another port or something.
1.4 is just the newest version of that particular cable, which can load more data through it(res and hz/fps).
The full name is just Display Port(DP for short) and with 1.4

So DP 1.4

Normal TV's its HDMI cable and that will not work(To our knowledge at THIS TIME).
So you most likely will need to buy that extra cable.
And you need to see if your GPU has that DP connector (and a 1.4 at that), what GPU do you have?

Yerd

Received mine today. Only ordered it yesterday. Surprisingly quick shipping.

I don't know if my bluetooth on my MB will work. Will have to test it out.

I just ordered a new DP cable. I have a 2nd monitor that doesn't need to be working for this, I can use that cable to test this out.

Hoddi

Think I'll buy one of these, my PC doesnt have bluetooth though, has anyone used this?

Also, is there anything else I need apart from the Adapter and BT Dongle?

Buying this purely to play Alyx
That BT dongle is one of the two mentioned on Sony's support page so it should be fine. Both seem to be using the same/similar CSR chipsets so that might be worth considering if compatibility is truly an issue. I also have an older BT4.2 dongle with a CSR chipset and haven't had any connection issues with the controllers so far.

Justin9mm

I feel like there will be a rev 2 of the adaptor with improvements and or patch improvements over time, I'll wait. I think Sony has rushed this out the door. And I don't believe they had PC in mind before launch, what a crock!

I still have PTSD from the setup of the OG PSVR box. I already have a Quest 2 and it does just fine for my PCVR games, not worth going through all this setup for me personally when I can just have a nice wireless free experience, the display is not worlds better without the additional features from the PS5. I think there are a lot of people in the same situation as me.

Last edited:

Yerd

Cannot get past the damn vr app setup.

I first started fine, 2 controllers appeared and connected to my bt controller. It tells me to put it all down on the table and it just cycles forever. I cancelled the process and shut down the PC for a minute or 2. Started back up and now I can only get 1 controller to work at a time. I can remove them, re-pair them. Starting with whichever one I want and then the 2nd controller gets paired and then shuts off immediately. Only the first paired controller stays on and I can't get to the next step of the app that I didn't get past the first time.

I'm going to assume it's my MB bluetooth, but wtf, it started off no issue.

Yerd

Reinstalling Steamvr fixed it. In case anyone has this same problem. Also the bluetooth thing I think you must start with the left controller when pairing.

MacReady13

Trying to buy this adapter in Australia but can't seem to find any retailers with stock! Anyone (especially here in Melbourne) know of anywhere I can buy one? JB is saying to order it and it will arrive end of August!

Freeman76

1.4 is just the newest version of that particular cable, which can load more data through it(res and hz/fps).
The full name is just Display Port(DP for short) and with 1.4

So DP 1.4

Normal TV's its HDMI cable and that will not work(To our knowledge at THIS TIME).
So you most likely will need to buy that extra cable.
And you need to see if your GPU has that DP connector (and a 1.4 at that), what GPU do you have?
Thank you for the info! I wouldnt have known this lol. So I have a 4070 GPU, will have a look and see if it has this.

Last edited:

Techies

I have a Rog Strix, B760-A Gaming wifi motherboard. It came with an antenna for wireless, has bluetooth 5.3. I have direct line of sight of the antenna.
I had no issues with connecting the PSVR2 controllers, just read the instructions on the manual.

I also have everything on the 5ghz spectrum.

Only issue is my Xbox controller did not want to connect anymore. It's as if it can only handle the PSVR controllers.

Currently struggling with SteamVR stuff. Still trying to figure out what the hell is causing my fps to drop to 1fps, could be theatre mode/UEVR related.

Last edited:
I have a Rog Strix, B760-A Gaming wifi motherboard. It came with an antenna for wireless, has bluetooth 5.3. I have direct line of sight of the antenna.
I had no issues with connecting the PSVR2 controllers, just read the instructions on the manual.

I also have everything on the 5ghz spectrum.

Only issue is my Xbox controller did not want to connect anymore. It's as if it can only handle the PSVR controllers.

Currently struggling with SteamVR stuff. Still trying to figure out what the hell is causing my fps to drop to 1fps, could be theatre mode/UEVR related.
I had the exact same fps issue. You need to lower the headset resolution as it's massively super sampling to ridiculous resolutions.

Wonko_C

Question for those with the adapter. Can you set PSVR2 to 60hz? I know that's too low but it's useful in some situations, like running Dolphin VR properly.

Bry0

Alrighty tested it out a bit and did a back to back comparison with my quest 3.

Anyone want to buy a quest 3?

Seriously I have a dedicated router for wireless streaming and frankly it’s not even close still. The contrast/color/brightness absolutely obliterates the q3. I only noticed quest 3 compression on distant objects and it’s been years since I had an index but… yeah compression became immediately obvious especially on distant objects after comparing them back to back. Controller latency on the psvr feels a little worse and the persistence blur can be noticeable, but visually my goodness it’s so much better, and the fov for me is definitely better with the psvr2. I wish tracking latency was a little better though. It’s not a deal breaker and I would wager moving my BT Antenna to a slightly better spot may help.

It also seems that “100%” resolution on the psvr2 on steam is really something like a 2x supersample. Of your performance is rough that’s probably why. But seriously, I thought GT7 looked pretty good but running this headset off a 4080 reveals that its capable of some pretty impressive clarity that the ps5 simply doesn’t have the grunt for.

Last edited:

dave_d

Quick question. Can you use it with VR games on non steam launchers? I have Star Wars squadrons and I think it supports vr but it’s not steam.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Holy shit, will a 4070 handle this?
It's taxing, but a 4070 can absolutely handle it as there are countless ways to adjust settings that impact performance, and it includes support for DLSS. It's worth mentioning that MSFS is very CPU limited. But it's worth a try because it's one of the best VR experiences on the market - In my opinion.

A reminder: The next title in the franchise, MSFS 2024, comes out on November 19.

Last edited:
The same downsides with are present. The subpixel structure still adds that low grade fuzz, though it's harder to notice with the supersampling. I still get occasional "warbling" in the image. There's a bit of motion blur from the oled panel, mitigated by dropping the brightness down.
Good call. If it's anything like playing on the PS5, lowering the brightness in the headset can do wonders for certain games.

Alrighty tested it out a bit and did a back to back comparison with my quest 3.

Anyone want to buy a quest 3?

Seriously I have a dedicated router for wireless streaming and frankly it’s not even close still. The contrast/color/brightness absolutely obliterates the q3. I only noticed quest 3 compression on distant objects and it’s been years since I had an index but… yeah compression became immediately obvious especially on distant objects after comparing them back to back. Controller latency on the psvr feels a little worse and the persistence blur can be noticeable, but visually my goodness it’s so much better, and the fov for me is definitely better with the psvr2. I wish tracking latency was a little better though. It’s not a deal breaker and I would wager moving my BT Antenna to a slightly better spot may help.

It also seems that “100%” resolution on the psvr2 on steam is really something like a 2x supersample. Of your performance is rough that’s probably why. But seriously, I thought GT7 looked pretty good but running this headset off a 4080 reveals that its capable of some pretty impressive clarity that the ps5 simply doesn’t have the grunt for.
As someone who got PSVR2 at launch, it's really cool to read PCVRs impression of the headset. It seemed relatively negative when the adapter first dropped but people seem to be working out the kinks and are now raving about it. Refreshing to see some excitement for VR on Gaf, lol.

I wish I had a gaming PC, I'd be all over this.

Three

So I assume this only works with Steam and I cant play Gamepads games like Flight Sim and NMS with it ?
Why not? Of course you can. Although NMS VR is not a gamepad game I don't think. You can use the PSVR2 controllers in it AFAIK.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
So I assume this only works with Steam and I cant play Gamepads games like Flight Sim and NMS with it ?

Edit: Wait, I think I got it now, you mean Gamepass on Steam VR..?

Well in that case you should be fine AFAIK.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Quick question. Can you use it with VR games on non steam launchers? I have Star Wars squadrons and I think it supports vr but it’s not steam.

If its like it is on other VR headsets that rely on Steam VR then add them to steam as non-steam games so that you can access them after booting up Steam VR.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
To be balanced. Here’s a rather negative review.

Top Bottom