• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Purple Rain soundtrack > you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
So messed up, I had to revisit it. Spin it through, and start with "Let's Go Crazy," a song that DOESN'T FIT AT ALL WITH THE REST OF THEM. A few songs later, and we get to the best song on the album, "Darling Nikki." Dirty with a capital D, and funky as hell, you just can't not like it.

...then we get to the classic...

When Doves Cry.

Other than those three songs, though, there aren't any real standouts on the album...but somehow they come together to make something greater than the sum of their parts. Twenty years, and it still sounds fresh today.

LOVE IT, GUYS!

FOO FIGHTERS DONE DID DARLING NIKKI LIKE HELLA BETTER DUDE

Seriously, the original is great, but come on. Dave Grohl does Prince better than Prince does Prince.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
IBTN

Computer blue rocks your face
"Sombody please please tell me what the hell is wrong"

Every time I hear that song I imagine how much Trent Reznor probably rocked out to it back in the day :)

I like Take Me With You as well

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Error Macro said:
FOO FIGHTERS DONE DID DARLING NIKKI LIKE HELLA BETTER DUDE

Seriously, the original is great, but come on. Dave Grohl does Prince better than Prince does Prince.
If that is the Darling Nikki cover I heard on the radio I am going to have to disagree, the big vamp at the end is so much heavier on Purple Rain, and prince wasn't even using a distorted guitar on it. :p

Edit:
shit I can't delete this and move it into the last post so sorry about the dp.

seanoff

Matlock, u have obviously not seen the 18 minute live version of Purple Rain. OMFG.
That boy can really play!!!

And yes Purple Rain is one of the best albums of the 80's along with Sign o the Times

Matlock

Banned
White Man said:
You just totally slammed one of my perpetual top 10 favorite albums.

?!

Read on, lad. They come together and make much more than the sum of their parts. Gestalt theory in action!

Loki

Count of Concision
Matlock:

Sorry, but "I Would Die For You" and "Purple Rain" are better than "Let's Go Crazy" and "When Doves Cry". Fact. ;)

Of the latter two, however, "Let's Go Crazy" is the far better song imo. You just can't help but want to break out and dance when you hear it-- it has a great sound. :D And that's not to say that "When Doves Cry" isn't an incredible song, because it is.

"Purple Rain" is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

Darling Nikki is awesome. No other band has been able to pull off the sexuality Prince adds to it when they cover the song.

I don't like the Foo Fighters cover of it, but Apocalypse Hoboken's is great.

Matlock

Banned
Another part of Darling Nikki that has my interest is the somewhat backwardness of it, that makes some of it sound like a pant.

I need the three-disk greatest hits/B-sides collection now. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom