• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIlent Hill 2 Remake | Review Thread

What scores do you think Silent Hill 2 Remake will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 56-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
haterz: Bloober sucks lolomg silent hill ruined, wtf woke

Typing GIF by ehcat

Bloober: You fool! This isn't even my final form!

angry dragon ball z GIF by Funimation

super saiyan GIF

Say hello to my new transformation - blÜBER

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Cool never played the original and I'm not a new gamer - just missed it. Lets go.

Same boat. Played the original on PS1 way back when it first released. Grabbed SH2 for original Xbox sometime in college, played for five minutes and never touched it again for whatever reason. Im sure it was probably the controls and jank. Ah to be so young and dumb.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They have been king of third party releases. FF7 Rebirth, Helldivers 2, and Silent Hill 2 could all contend for GOTY, and Astrobot(first party) is probably winning it. Not to mention Rise of the Ronin, which is probably my GOTY, even with all its quirks

Not to be "THAT GUY" but Helldivers 2 is a 2nd party game. I agree with your point though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gotta say too that it's very curious how this 2024 looked so bad for PS5 back in January and it ended up being the best year up there with 2022, pretty much everything overdelivered, HD2, Stellar Blade, SH, FF Rebirth, Astro Bot, even it got a ninja last hour console exclusive with Wukong, wait and see Lego Horizon getting nice reviews too lol.

Love this post! It's not talked about enough how Wukong has become a console exclusive due to MS' mistakes with Xbox. And when the PS5 Pro drops and SH2 Remake and Wukong gets patches, the delta will only grow. I'm curious if Bloober will try to get hardware raytracing in SH2 for the Pro....

Arachnid

Time for me to eat crow I guess.

Bloober getting SH2 was genuinely one of my worst case scenarios in gaming. I used to actually joke about the horror of it back before they were revealed. I talked tons of shit basically all through development after the reveal, up until the story trailer that actually looked good. Thank FUCK they pulled it off. Definitely thought this would end up around the 6-7s originally, but they proved me wrong.

Bartski

Gold Member
Eurogamer says that standard difficulty for puzzles is maybe a little too easy, but dont know about hard yet
I've only listened to the gamespot review in the car, dude said he had 30 medkits and 3 digit ammo at some point and never died on normal. So it's 100% hard for combat on first playthrough. But I for puzzles - no idea, I recently played SH3 and puzzles on hard were just impossible without out-of-game knowledge on random things like Shakespeare. Or google.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

comparison between performance and quality

Pretty big difference on lighting and fog apparently

Yeah.... this is making me lean towards playing on Quality mode.

Performance is missing entire swathes of effects among other cut-backs (Shadows are completely absent in interiors etc) and the performance is dropping below the 48hz VRR threshold. At least the Quality seems like it sticks to the 30.

It's FF16, again.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Yeah.... this is making me lean towards playing on Quality mode.

Performance is missing entire swathes of effects among other cut-backs (Shadows are completely absent in interiors etc) and the performance is dropping below the 48hz VRR threshold. At least the Quality seems like it sticks to the 30.

It's FF16, again.
Quality 100%. This isnt a fast paced game and performance mode losing a lot of atmosphere. Gladly replay it on the pro if it gets a patch tho

Last edited:
As ALWAYS, I'll always gladly eat a fat plate of crow. I actually love videogames so I never hate on shit just to do it. I just thought their other output ranged from pure trash to barely mediocre so yea. I'm glad they seemed to have pulled through and put in the work.

That being said, Alan Wake 2, and many others, were a critical second coming of Christ that to me glaringly weak so I'll have to wait til I pick it up to start flogging myself just yet.

That being said again...it's nice to see a SH title not instantly go in the 6/10 bargain bin. Hope this shit sells well and they get to maybe flex fully on their own title.

Killer8

I liked the original game. The remake probably won't impress me as much, but I still couldn't understand why so many people hated it. The remake will allow you to experience the story from a new perspective, and for a true fan that's always an interesting idea. Just being able to explore the Silent Hill map with UE5 graphics makes me want to play the remake regardless of the ugly female design (Angela).
The improvement was massive in the last 3-4 trailers. Made the continued anger over the game seem very odd to me.

Kudos to Bloober and Konami for not letting the negativity stop them from making the best game they could.

You can pinpoint the exact moment the hate train rolled into the station: the January combat reveal trailer. Not only did it look rough, it was also a boneheaded decision (made by Konami) for a game series which has traditionally focused on story over combat.

The problem is that the trailer was a blip. The reveal trailer and everything since that has been great. But people already decided at that point that every fear they had about Bloober was confirmed and the game was going to suck. It's partly Konami's fault for thinking that trailer was acceptable, but it was also a premature over-reaction from gamers to a game still deep in development.

Throw in the Sweet Baby Inc controversy emerging around the same time, and an unfortunate instance of Angela's character model not looking great in certain lighting conditions (which you can find in every game ever made), and Bloober had an uphill struggle to prove themselves.

Top Bottom