• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

daxy

Do they accept credit cards from any region, unlike Sony? Or do I have to buy Nintendo credits elsewhere somehow?

My CC wasn't accepted, so I got $30 of eShop credit from pcgamesupply, which was like 27 EUR. I'm so happy that the system is region free. I don't understand why they made the game that much more expensive in Europe.

Really enjoying this. Digging the adventure mode so far.

I have no idea what is happening. Reminds me of playing through the Blazblue story mode, except with more whimsy.

derFeef

So I just played the demo and I can't win with Tetris, lol. Am I bad or is the demo a bit harder? Not sure I will buy it at that price point but it seems like a fun game.

Been able to get through the first two worlds of Adventure without much issue so far. Still losing a lot to CPUs in general outside of there though, and I can't even imagine what kind of competition exist online haha.

So I just played the demo and I can't win with Tetris, lol. Am I bad or is the demo a bit harder? Not sure I will buy it at that price point but it seems like a fun game.

As a general rule of thumb, the characters closer to the top of the select screen are easier than those below them. In addition, you can set a handicap before matches on both yourself and the CPU that should lower the difficulty a bit as well. Hope that helps a bit.

Rhapsody

Banned
Help on 3 starring 5-10? It's Tetris, but it's the one with item blocks. Not sure what's the best way to get 12,000 points in this type of match.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Help on 3 starring 5-10? It's Tetris, but it's the one with item blocks. Not sure what's the best way to get 12,000 points in this type of match.

You sure that's the right stage number?

For Party Tetris, I just stack for tetrises as quickly as possible and try to keep my stack really short so that new items always drop on the bottom 4 rows. When an item gets included in a line, the whole thing vanishes, so I try to make sure that it's completely encapsulated within the tetris and doesn't leave any holes.

lt519

My Tetris DS competitive days are schooling people in online here. Plays exactly the same, beating people waaay above my rating since I just started.

But god damn am I awful at Puyo.

Ooh wow my first cross match, someone up in 3000 Puyo destroyed me.

Rhapsody

Banned
You sure that's the right stage number?

For Party Tetris, I just stack for tetrises as quickly as possible and try to keep my stack really short so that new items always drop on the bottom 4 rows. When an item gets included in a line, the whole thing vanishes, so I try to make sure that it's completely encapsulated within the tetris and doesn't leave any holes.

Oh, it was probably 4-10 then. I'll try that then. With Puyo it's easier for me, but I had no clue how to go about it for Tetris.

Anyone down for some games? I'm mostly a Tetris player, still trying to learn these damn t-spins, lol, which will take me months.

I'm a beginner at Puyo but it's so much fun.

1837-2728-2488

lt519

Got my revenge on the next 3000 Puyo player (someone from Wizard league). Found that you just have to hang onto they initial onslaught and your good. I'll be up in 3000 real quick at this rate.

Lot of people dropping..

Stopdoor

I'm rank 9 in Canada by spamming Fusion mode all day, only challenged every so often by a really good Puyo player. Really satisfying when you get the offsets going back and forth with someone who's really good. I've started to toy with noobs by setting up Tetris Pluses and striking fear into their hearts.

Nosgotham

every match ends in a disconnect. it plays perfectly through the match but as soon as it's over I get a connection error.

I'm open nat, wired connection with no issues in other games. very frustrating. is it from people DCing?

every match ends in a disconnect. it plays perfectly through the match but as soon as it's over I get a connection error.

I'm open nat, wired connection with no issues in other games. very frustrating. is it from people DCing?

I've gotten a few matches where people pull the plug if they're about to lose, even had a lag switcher in one match. like wtf man tetris aint that serious business

Which platform? And what's your NAT type?

Played a bunch of ranked last night from Japan with EU folks, played really smooth for me on PS4 (NAT Type 2).

It seems that when one person disconnects it kicks everyone.

Huge oversight.

Tobe

stuck in the campaign cuz im UTTER GARBAGE at puyo puyo. the big bang puyo i just cant wrap my head around it :(

also trying to git gud at tetris cause my regular ass skills aint cutting it when ppl online are doing perfect clears and t spins for days. this game is def worth the 30 usd :)

What's the fastest way to earn points in Marathon Tetris? Ive been naturally gravitating to completing as many tetrises as possible all my life but the tutorial showed me combos and t-spins.

Nosgotham

Which platform? And what's your NAT type?

Played a bunch of ranked last night from Japan with EU folks, played really smooth for me on PS4 (NAT Type 2).

Switch, open nat. plays very smooth just disconnects at the end. im.assuming it's from disconnects. I've won numerous matches but my stats are zero

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What's the fastest way to earn points in Marathon Tetris? Ive been naturally gravitating to completing as many tetrises as possible all my life but the tutorial showed me combos and t-spins.

Idk, probably something like one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=505O7eXBv8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dj3VevymxE

stuck in the campaign cuz im UTTER GARBAGE at puyo puyo. the big bang puyo i just cant wrap my head around it :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234918553&postcount=1172

BHK3

Banned
Why is everyone a grandmaster online...I threw like 3 negative powerups at this dude and he tetris' me like I'm a little kid trying to swing at his dad

lt519

Damn just beat a high 4000+ puyo player, that was intense, first two rounds lasted a total of one minute as we felt each other out, last round was loooong.

Only one loss total so far to a Puyo player, just hit 3000.

Haha just ran into they dude again and he bailed before the game started.

Balb

Been having some trouble getting 3 stars on level 2-3 (score 10k while beating the opponent in Puyo Puyo). Any tips? I win before reaching 10k because the CPU sucks.

zulux21

can you play with bots in the multiplayer?

I saw in single player stuff you can play with up to 3 bots and can set people to teams.

when playing with my wife i couldn't find any options for bots to play against on a team together.

Fireblend

Banned
3 stars on every Adventure stage up to the beginning of act 7, will continue tomorrow. Man, this game is an absolute blast. Can't believe it was $30, this is the sort of game I don't have problems paying $60 for and still am super pleasantly surprised with.

Something I don't understand is how free play works in online mode. Am I supposed to be able to join games with random people there? Everytime I go in there there's no rooms for any mode.

Stopdoor

3 stars on every Adventure stage up to the beginning of act 7, will continue tomorrow. Man, this game is an absolute blast. Can't believe it was $30, this is the sort of game I don't have problems paying $60 for and still am super pleasantly surprised with.

Something I don't understand is how free play works in online mode. Am I supposed to be able to join games with random people there? Everytime I go in there there's no rooms for any mode.

I think people just don't use Free Play, it's annoying to wait for players, and then if one person disconnects the whole room crashes. You can try creating your own room and people might join.

Fireblend

Banned
I think people just don't use Free Play, it's annoying to wait for players, and then if one person disconnects the whole room crashes. You can try creating your own room and people might join.
Huh. Yeah, I guess that's it. Kind of a shame that there's no free play mode without the room thing, just the same thing as ranked except... Not ranked :p

Pachimari

So I've had the Japanese version for a long time, but is it possible to set up matches with each other when I buy the English one, or can I only play against random players online?

Cody_D165

Banned
Alright GAF I think I'm peaking by playing on Tetrises alone. I need to make the effort to learn how to do T-Spin Doubles and Triples. What's the best way to practice?

XaosWolf

Alright GAF I think I'm peaking by playing on Tetrises alone. I need to make the effort to learn how to do T-Spin Doubles and Triples. What's the best way to practice?

If you just wanna practice the setups and rotations then just plain old Marathon is perfect for that.

derFeef

As a general rule of thumb, the characters closer to the top of the select screen are easier than those below them. In addition, you can set a handicap before matches on both yourself and the CPU that should lower the difficulty a bit as well. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! I also missed that you have to actually do Tetris' to beat the opponent.

Apologies if this has been asked, but...can you STILL get the keychains?

Is it only in North America?

Thanks!

I believe all physical copies have the keychain. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Both keychains are exclusive to launch copies of the Switch version in North America. PS4 players were partly left out to dry since advertisements primarily favored Nintendo as a newer console and some users speculate the chains were actually made to soften the blow of the "cartridge tax" on select titles. It might be worth noting that Target ran a special promotion with decals offered as a pre-order incentive, too.

Wish I could've gotten the extra little goodies as a physical collector, but I never heard a response back on whether it was possible to obtain the decals with an online order and I didn't feel like buying a Switch just to play it either. On the other hand, copies of the PS4 platform might be an interesting rarity down the line with it playing second fiddle between the two consoles on top of the Tetris Company-Ubisoft legalities that prevented a digital release as well.

ShyGuy

Both keychains are exclusive to launch copies of the Switch version in North America. PS4 players were partly left out to dry since advertisements primarily favored Nintendo as a newer console and some users speculate the chains were actually made to soften the blow of the "cartridge tax" on select titles. It might be worth noting that Target ran a special promotion with decals offered as a pre-order incentive, too.

Wish I could've gotten the extra little goodies as a physical collector, but I never heard a response back on whether it was possible to obtain the decals with an online order and I didn't feel like buying a Switch just to play it either. On the other hand, copies of the PS4 platform might be an interesting rarity down the line with it playing second fiddle between the two consoles on top of the Tetris Company-Ubisoft legalities that prevented a digital release as well.
Thanks guys, I was indeed referring to the Switch version.

I knew it was Switch-exclusive but didn't know if those keychains were USA-only or what.

Thanks for clarification

japtor

Who else goes into full panic mode like me whenever half your screen is taken up?

I always feel like I'm drowning at that point and it is only a matter of time before I lose. This happens more often on Tetris since Puyo you can get lucky sometimes and get multiple matches you didn't plan on.
I build fast enough that I get myself over half way up before I get any garbage, and against better players I tend to have to survive at the top few rows for a while until I can string a few clears in a row. I've come back from the top row (where the pieces cut off) before, you can survive as long as you don't block the middle with a block too high where the incoming piece is basically.

Trying this trick (many many times) might've helped how I feel at the top too:

vj6KPzdl.jpg

I think that's the cleanest I've ever done it, although I've had a few where I noticed I could've had a perfect stack if I just did a different move with the last few pieces here and there.

So I filtered the search down to single vs only (Tetris vs. Tetris or Puyo) and my wins are at 30/30. I've had some very close calls with a few great Puyo players and one Tetris player that was only going for T-spins! I'm already ranked 9 in GB. Would you guys say I'm cheating by only playing Tetris or is it all fair? (I suck at Puyo and Fusion for now).

Also 2 people disconnected just as they lost. That's not too bad but it's still about 7%. Think this needs patching or is it no big deal?

Top Bottom