• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

TZchassis

Guys can someone recommend what modes are fun to play. I bought this for classic Tetris and the two other modes that I tried are confusing / not really fun so far.

Fireblend

Banned
Guys can someone recommend what modes are fun to play. I bought this for classic Tetris and the two other modes that I tried are confusing / not really fun so far.

Other than Tetris? Standard versus and Swap are tons of fun, but I really like Puyo Puyo. Same goes for Fusion, once you get the hang of it. Party is somewhere in the middle for me because I don't like how the falling item tiles screw with my chains/combos and I'm not a huge fan of fever or big bang but they're ok from time to time.

BHK3

Banned
I keep getting matched with the same guy in Fukuoka that is like top 300 on the global ranking. WTF
I've been getting T-spinned effortlessly all day. A puyo user hit me so hard there was a blood rock with eyes above my board...I'm still shaking from that.

magnetic

Is the right Tetris skin available in the PS4 version?

PztqbmM.png

Are both versions 100% identical?

That Gameboy skin looks incredibly sexy. The Sega Tetris background is sweet as well!

Does anyone know if these are in the older japanese Vita version?

sw26

Nothing like getting absolutely destroyed in 10 seconds by presumably a cyborg Puyo Puyo player from Japan.

Wow, I though my Tetris skills were decent!

Skyzard

Banned
That Gameboy skin looks incredibly sexy. The Sega Tetris background is sweet as well!

Does anyone know if these are in the older japanese Vita version?

They're DLC for the last gen versions I believe

Yep it's dlc.

You'll need to buy chapters 7-10, extra music and skins for the vita version...from the japanese store.

I've been thinking about it, I'll only need a 1000 yen card to get everything I want, so it's cheap enough...but that means that vita has to be locked to a Japanese account.

It was like 150yen for the chapters, with a discounted bundle it was less.

And like 50yen for skins

100yen = £0.70

I had a spare vita (got many) so I did it but haven't bought the dlc as I'm not sure it's worth locking the vita like that yet.
Had a look for other Japanese exclusive vita games but nothing stood out from what I could see (I don't speak Japanese though).

Still might do it and then hope that the latest vita firmware gets hacked for emulation etc. Would get some more out of it then - I should have had one set up a while back.

Been really into the game and the gameboy skin is calling to me.

Up until I broke the 4000 rating mark the matchmaking was still pairing me up against fresh out of the water 2000 players, and now I'm getting paired up against much stronger players instead. Just gotta let their rating catch up to their skill level.

lt519

I build fast enough that I get myself over half way up before I get any garbage, and against better players I tend to have to survive at the top few rows for a while until I can string a few clears in a row. I've come back from the top row (where the pieces cut off) before, you can survive as long as you don't block the middle with a block too high where the incoming piece is basically.

Feel like I played you last night...run into anyone in the 2800-3200 range named rarbusto or ray?

blitz64

do selecting different characters have any affect on the game?

Like will it give different garbage to enemies? or different patterns?

I don't want to give garbage to enemies that is all 1 straight line so they can give the tetris garbage back to me.

magnetic

Yep it's dlc.

You'll need to buy chapters 7-10, extra music and skins for the vita version...from the japanese store.

I've been thinking about it, I'll only need a 1000 yen card to get everything I want, so it's cheap enough...but that means that vita has to be locked to a Japanese account.

It was like 150yen for the chapters, with a discounted bundle it was less.

And like 50yen for skins

100yen = £0.70

I had a spare vita (got many) so I did it but haven't bought the dlc as I'm not sure it's worth locking the vita like that yet.
Had a look for other Japanese exclusive vita games but nothing stood out from what I could see (I don't speak Japanese though).

Still might do it and then hope that the latest vita firmware gets hacked for emulation etc. Would get some more out of it then - I should have had one set up a while back.

Been really into the game and the gameboy skin is calling to me.

Cool, thanks for the detailed answer!

japtor

Feel like I played you last night...run into anyone in the 2800-3200 range named rarbusto or ray?
Heh maybe. I was in the upper 2000s I think (broke 3000 last night) and faced a few people around that range. Avatar is Ringo, California region...and against higher ranking folks I tend to use the "please go easy on me" greeting.

Play style wise I generally just build up fast with a double height I-hole to the right (and wait to combo the whole thing down), but sometimes I slow down to see how the other player is. There was one particularly memorable match (well a few really) where we both had the I piece ready to drop and were just waiting for the other to do something first. Otherwise I keep it pretty simple, only recently learned the basic T-spin double setup and do that when clearing down if I see the T piece coming up.

Against lower level players (I go by first round, not their ranking) I just mess around trying to do more T-spin setups. I need to get a better handle on triples, damage on those comboed is crazy.

There's a few interesting strategies I've run into that I've semi incorporated into my game now. One was building up with a three/four wide gap. Once I started sending garbage over they just responded with a long ass combo that I couldn't respond fast enough to overcome. I haven't done the big gap intentionally, but I took the combo lesson to heart. One game when I was just clearing down I got like an 8-10 combo by just getting everything I could, even singles. Worthless alone but I figure they're ok if they can keep a potentially long combo going.

The other thing I saw was pretty basic, just building the stack up to one side and whatever gap to the other. Normally I build a really flat stack but that can become problematic as you get closer to the top (...although there's also some benefits to it once you're at the top). There's been times I end up stacking junk pieces evenly but now I try to keep that all to one side to deal with later.

Edit: here's a video on combos/stacking with a gap:
https://youtu.be/OYu_KYjumXQ

EDarkness

Been playing this quite a bit and the story is insane. Not sure why I'm enjoying it so much, but what can I say. Gotten much better at Puyo Puyo. Realize I suck bad at Tetris. Gotta work on my skill.

DoT2

I don't know if I should get this for switch or PS4, I played the switch demo and my dpad on the pro really sucks, always accidentally fast dropping blocks. What do you guys think?

wormania

Adventure 7-1 3* is impossible. If you build combos fast you just flood the opponent and win before you get the score (like all of these score-battles, great design), but you cannot go slow because the CPU just dies to the tetris pieces

I don't know if I should get this for switch or PS4, I played the switch demo and my dpad on the pro really sucks, always accidentally fast dropping blocks. What do you guys think?
I use the split joycons as my control scheme, ignoring the joystick in favor of the dpad.

magnetic

It's so great to have a replay feature! I spend 99% of the time playing AI VS Puyo matches, and knowing that every match can be recorded makes doing stylish chains really enjoyable.

Replays make every game twice as fun for me, I love having an incentive to do stuff that's fun to watch again.

So, what are the game's biggest flaws/issues?

I really like what I've played so far, but there's some substantial complaints:

1) Only a single online rating, regardless of game mode.
2) No Quick Drop in Puyo Puyo mode, but you do get it in both Tetris and Fusion? It really seems awkward.
3) Pretty egregious easy spin in Tetris?
4) Easy Spin + relatively slow max speed makes high-end solo Tetris relatively easy?

Yeah, I wish hard drop would be available for all Puyo modes. Its so weird to have it so inconsistently. Dropping instantly is such a nice feature.

But at least you have the option to turn it on in custom VS matches.

I really need to work on my puyo chains, 5 isn't cutting it once you go through a couple leagues online. In Swap, I can steal some wins with a perfect clear and t-spin triples, but once those 7-10 chains start coming I'm finished lol.

magnetic

Compared to Puyo Puyo Fever, the style of the the series really has been polished. Some very nice character designs, tunes and backgrounds in this release. Fever was really a bit garish by comparison, even if it's the same general style.

Track 20 sounds like a straight up Manabu Namiki tune, with the pumping bass line! Super good stuff. Track 20 sounds like a fantastic oldschool anime theme.

And Draco is still such a good design. Her cocky victory pose with the flaming finger always cracks me up!

I will always have a special place in my heart for the more oldschool, subdued Compile originals, but I'm very impressed with this entry.

Super happy the series gets another shot in the west, and great timing with the Tetris combo and on the Switch, which sold a lot but has only a few releases yet.

Wallach

If you think you're good at Tetris, think again : https://youtu.be/YVJ9NQCJVBo
I'm never playing online :lol

YeTc0VS.gif

Weren't people trying to say Puyo was too strong? i haven't really even started playing since work has been so busy this week but to me just from a design standpoint it looks at least slightly Tetris favored. Seems like you can turn garbage blocks into counterattacks more easily with Tetris blocks.

Dinjoralo

I am actually doing pretty good online! Then I get some japanese player who I just barely compete against...

What's everyone's default character and voice? Mine's alt Draco. :3

Say, can someone who owns the PS4 version give me some screenshots of Ringo and Amitie on the character select screen? I'm curious if the awful compression artifacting is present on all versions.

This. How do we get these skins on the Switch?!
Do. Adventure. Mode. Specifically the extra three chapters. That or use the cheat code to unlock everything from adventure mode.

So i'm still a total scrub at Puyo. Can someone please explain to me how the handicap system actually works? It seems to get harder when I turn it what I believe to be down, so I don't quite get it.

tsundoku

Literally the fun mode is the swap mode where you have to keep changing your thought process and managing both boards as well as the mechanics that occur when you swap between them.

I would never buy a just tetris or just puyo puyo game

try at least to work on some of these mechanics:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234378799&postcount=410
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234660605&postcount=419

or just be boring and play solo tetris line endurance

Weren't people trying to say Puyo was too strong? i haven't really even started playing since work has been so busy this week but to me just from a design standpoint it looks at least slightly Tetris favored. Seems like you can turn garbage blocks into counterattacks more easily with Tetris blocks.

Not sure if it changed recently but for most of the lifespan of this game tetris had an advantage over puyo if both players are equally skilled.

tsundoku

Adventure 7-1 3* is impossible. If you build combos fast you just flood the opponent and win before you get the score (like all of these score-battles, great design), but you cannot go slow because the CPU just dies to the tetris pieces

Have you tried setting up and saving up for a double tetris or doing multiple t spins for technical points instead of just doing a long combo?

Do. Adventure. Mode. Specifically the extra three chapters. That or use the cheat code to unlock everything from adventure mode.

What's the cheat code? I'm sure the like 6 people I convinced to buy this aren't going to play the whole thing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

The key to Fusion mode is to keep the combo going for as long as possible by playing as fast as possible. Garbage won't drop onto the opponent until your chain breaks, so just build up the score as high as possible in one combo.

Seik

Banned
Yesterday I did 3-10, like, 30 times and never made it.

Today I try it and one shot it. :lol

It just wasn't the day I guess.

My GF and I did a couple of Tetris marathon as well, it was nice to see her doubling her high scores times after times, also that music!!

TZchassis

Literally the fun mode is the swap mode where you have to keep changing your thought process and managing both boards as well as the mechanics that occur when you swap between them.

I would never buy a just tetris or just puyo puyo game

try at least to work on some of these mechanics:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234378799&postcount=410
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234660605&postcount=419

or just be boring and play solo tetris line endurance

Thanks I just gave it a shot and I did enjoy it. I found Puyo Puyo hard though so Ill have a look at the tutorials you shared.

magnetic

Thanks I just gave it a shot and I did enjoy it. I found Puyo Puyo hard though so Ill have a look at the tutorials you shared.

Puyo definitely demands way more practice than Tetris. It feels a lot less intuitive at first, at least it did for me - Tetris has thus almost instinctive quality to it, whereas Puyo has more "wait, where do I put these ones?".

On the other hand, I enjoyed the learning process very much. It's a game you can practice for an hour each day day and keep learning more and more.

After some practice, you will see possible chain setups way quicker and doing 5,6,7,8 chains without really thinking about it is extremely satisfying.

But yeah, it has a pretty high learning curve.

I'm colorblind as well. Give the "flat" skin a try. It's worked wonders for me.

I really love that skin, easily the most readable while still retaining the trademark expressive eyes. The pixelated look also reminds me of this games oldschool roots a bit - the default ones always looked way too glossy for my taste.

Gsnap

Man this game is crazy. Not sure how I've never managed to play some version of this game before since there's so many of them, but I'm glad I picked this one up. I've been watching professional play and practicing and I've gotten noticeably better, but I'm still really really bad. I love how the game is built around multiplayer. Watching pro play is fascinating. Like high speed chess. All the various setups and harassments. It's like they aren't even playing a puzzle game anymore.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

At higher levels, Tetris simply moves too fast for Puyo to be able to start anything significant. But basic Puyo stuff will take you a long way against beginner and lower-intermediate Tetris players who can't deal enough damage to counter chains.

At higher levels, Tetris simply moves too fast for Puyo to be able to start anything significant. But basic Puyo stuff will take you a long way against beginner and lower-intermediate Tetris players who can't deal enough damage to counter chains.
I agree. Low and mid-level Tetris players can have a lot of trouble dealing with even minor Puyo combos but a high-level Tetris player who can consistently get double/triple T-spins, back to backs, and combos will trounce just about anybody.

magnetic

Man this game is crazy. Not sure how I've never managed to play some version of this game before since there's so many of them, but I'm glad I picked this one up. I've been watching professional play and practicing and I've gotten noticeably better, but I'm still really really bad. I love how the game is built around multiplayer. Watching pro play is fascinating. Like high speed chess. All the various setups and harassments. It's like they aren't even playing a puzzle game anymore.

Indeed, I actually think Tetris and Puyo don't have too much in common except the obvious "drop puzzle" genre. They have a really different feel - Tetris is faster, more primal and minimalist, whereas Puyo feels more elaborate, with a higher learning curve and a distinct method of attack and defense.

Like one of the guys in the recent 8-4 podcast said, it feels like those two games hit different parts of the brain. I initially didn't like that I have to consciously think ahead more in Puyo, but with enough practice you can really see your brain learning patterns and executing them almost reflexively.

After an certain point, Tetris feels like it is "just" about speed, consistency and execution, whereas I still learn new approaches and strategies in Puyo. Still, Tetris has a legendary status of intuitiveness that will probably never be surpassed.

Top Bottom