• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

Tobe

That new event sogood.gif

*Winter Wonderland*
[Duration]: 1/14 (Tue), midnight - 1/21 (Tue), 11:59 PM (PST)

The new year is getting nice and chilly, so it’s the perfect time for wintery-themed fun. Collab events, a nice full schedule of descended dungeons, and a special surprise is on the way!

■① Daily Log-in Bonus
1/14 - 1/21 - 1 Magic Stone
※Bonuses will be distributed as late as 3:59 AM (PST) the following day.

■② A Tale of Two Collabs: Everyone’s favorite skill-up blobs and rambunctious Barbarians are returning in our glorious winter event!

1/14 - 1/17 - Poring Tower
1/18 - 1/21 - Clash of Clans Dungeon

■③ So many Dragons…and TAMADRA?
The 3 different colored Jewel Dragons and the Metal Dragons will be rotating randomly throughout certain days of the event. The TAMADRA have been running amock in these Dungeons - they’ll be appearing at 1.5x rates!

On top of that, the SUPER Kings may just decide to pay us a visit…

■④ Special Event Dungeon Schedule:
1/14 - Legendary Dragon Rush
1/15 - Tengu!!!
1/16 - Breakers
1/17 - Goddess Descended!
1/18 - 1/19 - Twinlit Descended!
1/18 - Hera-Ur Descended!
1/19 - Athena Descended!
1/20 - Zeus Dios Descended!
1/21 - Skydragon Rush

■⑤ Awesome Daily Bonuses
Pal Egg Event:
1/14 - 1/21 - King Metal/Jewel Dragons
2x King appearance rates for the Metal and Jewel Dragons
1.5x TAMADRA appearance rates for Metal and Jewel Dragons
[We will also have a special visits from Super Jewel King Dragons]
2x Skill Up rate

Godfest info is on the way!

ccbfan

I really hope we get gold dragons this time.

I have 20 yellow pengdras waiting to evolve and Kirin, Zeus, Verche, Venus all waiting to be leveled.

Tobe

now that i think about it, i really need an angelit for my yomi. i have no fucking clue how im gonna tackle that twinlit lol. tengu is probably gonna be easy for me i guess.

also ex gf is being nice to me and gifting me itunes credit :) also i got my 10 stones tomorrow for playing 100 days :)

coy

Was away this weekend with friends enjoying all the football (49ers!!) and socializing. While it was fun as always when I get with them, the partying made it tough trying descends. Evidence: my attempt at Satan was with a double Izanagi team. Preemptive strike from Satan, you say? I completely forgot about this. Hell, I have a Light Metatron I could've subbed in to counter this and just was not thinking straight. Moreover, it took me until my 2nd turn to realize why my 24.5x atk barely scratched him. I knew after this to just do some easy farming.

Hercules! Can't wait to hear more news about him. And this event is shaping up nicely with a good mix of dungeons. Sure, there is Breakers but Tengu is nice to have again along with Twinlits (duh) and Valk alongside Poring is a treat.

I'm working on changing the suggested starters. Combo leads, Luci, everything else.

Based on the discussion we had a few days ago I'm thinking you can sort starters into the following playstyles:

Very high skill / Very high reward
Kirin, Umiyama, Ookuninushi, (Ra)

High skill / High reward
Horus, Haku, Leilan, Kain, Bastet

Zzz... oh hey I beat this otherwise impossible dungeon
Archangel Lucifer

Everyday we rollin, we hatin
Isis, Kushinadahime, L.Meta, Ame no Uzume, Princess Valk (due to not needing to dump 1.7m exp to busty her)

Luxury (great but perform the best with heavy REM subs)
D.Meta, Izanagi, Meimei?, Pandora?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Based on the discussion we had a few days ago I'm thinking you can sort starters into the following playstyles:

Very high skill / Very high reward
Kirin, Umiyama, Ookuninushi, (Ra)

High skill / High reward
Horus, Haku, Leilan, Kain, Bastet

Zzz... oh hey I beat this otherwise impossible dungeon
Archangel Lucifer

Everyday we rollin, we hatin
Isis, Kushinadahime, L.Meta, Ame no Uzume, Princess Valk (due to not needing to dump 1.7m exp to busty her)

Luxury (great but perform the best with heavy REM subs)
D.Meta, Izanagi, Meimei?, Pandora?

Few questions about this so I can make sense of it before typing things up:

Is Kush really below Bastet? I would put them on the same field, but maybe not. I don't have one so I don't know how she feels.

Why is Ame no Uzume in there? Seems like a bizarre choice...I have one, I just never use her. Is she actually good?

Who is Pandora?

Why Meimei in Luxury whereas the other Chinese gods are up in the high skill/high reward?

Damaniel

Banned
I'm definitely not the F2P type, but I've been considering giving Puzzle & Dragons a shot. As a person who doesn't really want to spend all day rerolling at the start, and doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars a month in IAP (though I'm not opposed to spending reasonable amounts in IAP), is there any hope of having fun, or am I just going to end up overwhelmed and be forced to dump in piles of money to make progress?

I guess, more simply - is it possible to have fun without either spending tons of money or spending huge amounts of time micromanaging gameplay to avoid running into the limits of free play so quickly? (Some of the contortions that I've heard people make to make any progress in games like Simpsons: Tapped Out or Candy Crush Saga without sinking in hundreds of bucks make me cringe a little.)

Note that I'm not expecting to get hours of play a day out of it, but I don't want to find my daily play artificially ended after 5 minutes due to an unfair, arbitrary stamina meter, either. Also, sorry for jumping into the community thread and asking this, but I figured that asking the people that play a lot is the best way to get a reasonable answer.

I don't really use my Kush or Bastet, no idea where exactly they belong

Ame no Uzume is only there cause she has the same 3.5xATK 80%HP skill as Light Metatron and Izanagi. Again, don't have one, so I don't know how well she fares.

Pandora is the upcoming Dark Hero God, who after the next JP patch will give 2.5xATK for 5c dark orb match up to 4xATK for 8c. I think all the Hero Gods are worth looking at as candidates for a monocolor spike team, but Dark has a lot of row enhance mobs. I'm probably being biased since she's the only Hero God I have.

Meimei teams work the best with subs like Izanagi, Athena, Ookuninushi, Bastet, Yomi, Hades, Batman, etc. I think her lack of syngery with important subs like Echidna and... uhh... Echidna hurts her viability for people who get unlucky REM draws. To that end Karin might not belong on the first roll list anymore because so few people run her and she has many of the same flaws as Meimei.

Tobe

I'm definitely not the F2P type, but I've been considering giving Puzzle & Dragons a shot. As a person who doesn't really want to spend all day rerolling at the start, and doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars a month in IAP (though I'm not opposed to spending reasonable amounts in IAP), is there any hope of having fun, or am I just going to end up overwhelmed and be forced to dump in piles of money to make progress?

I guess, more simply - is it possible to have fun without either spending tons of money or spending huge amounts of time micromanaging gameplay to avoid running into the limits of free play so quickly? (Some of the contortions that I've heard people make to make any progress in games like Simpsons: Tapped Out or Candy Crush Saga without sinking in hundreds of bucks make me cringe a little.)

Note that I'm not expecting to get hours of play a day out of it, but I don't want to find my daily play artificially ended after 5 minutes due to an unfair, arbitrary stamina meter, either. Also, sorry for jumping into the community thread and asking this, but I figured that asking the people that play a lot is the best way to get a reasonable answer.

is 20-40 usd a lot to spend a month? if not then you are basically set to have loads of fun without feeling that heavy heavy barrier. even then you couldspend 40 every 2 months. that the iap way and im sure you could get away with spending less if you really plan ahead.

i know that rerolling is hard trust me ive been there, but as everybody says its a godsend to have that first really good monster. i mean trust im probably the unluckiest dude here in pad gaf.

on the early levels you can easily level up and refill your stamina meter tho as you level up that gets harder and harder. planning out your day with pad is a need if you want to be serious about it. but the game is really forgiving if you pace yourself well. (i rant a lot cause im not doing right now so i have a lot of time to play, but once time starts to became limited again, im gonna enjoy a lot more the game playing the non iap way.)

this game can really be played non iap, its probably a lil bit more tasking and takes a bit more planning, but is super doable.

hope you get lucky on the rolls we are having a godfest soon, so there is a good chance to get something good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

You're in luck...There's a Godfest coming up soon, and those are the BEST times to roll/start the game.

E: Sorry if this is messy, I was typing and reading at the same time. These do not go hand in hand.

As a pretty heavy IAP player (probably ~$10-30/month on average depending on events, what I'm doing, etc), I can't comment entirely on the F2P nature. But I can say this - with a good starting roll, you won't find need to spend much of anything.

There are two VERY strong arguments to be made when it comes to the F2P nature of PAD and the starting roll.

1) Some say the starting roll isn't important anymore. That is SORT of true in that they have introduced monsters that you can get without paying that have slightly less powerful leader skills than some of the stronger gods. One example I can think of right off the bat:

Zeus Stratios
918.png

He has a similar leader skill to one of the strongest leaders in the game right now...

DTron
643.png

Zeus is 4x ATK when HP is less than 40%
DTron is 4x ATK when HP is less than 80%

DTron is a lot easier to trigger. The problem? She's from the rare egg machine (REM). Her ideal subs are also SUPER luxury (as in, all of them require you to pull the REM). In theory, you can clear Heaven & Hell to get the mats for Zeus Stratios without ever pulling the REM. There's a team on PDX that requires NO pulling. The game has evolved such that you can get away with not spending much of anything if you're smart about how you spend your stones and know what you're doing. There are a few folks here on GAF who are non-IAP that can comment on this. They may have different opinions on starting rolls.

2) Some of us believe that you need a good starting roll to make your life easier. I (and many of us) fall here. In order to maximize your enjoyment with the game, I feel that you should start with one of a few certain monsters. Why? Because the game has evolved from needing a basic 2/4/2 or 4/2/2 team to needing 9/12.25/16/25x ATK in order to safely clear content without spending the IAP currency magic stones.

By starting the game out with a Bastet or a Kirin or a Horus or a Haku, you've put yourself in a position to build a team that can regularly hit the high multipliers AND can get away with subs you either pick up in regular dungeons, technical dungeons, or event dungeons. Once you build a basic team, you can tackle Hera for your first gravity users and start beating up other descended dungeons. What this means is that a strong starter leads you into the "end-game" content of PAD.

The big issue with getting a good starting roll is that it's not easy. It can take days (or even weeks) of rerolling, and that's super shitty. By doing the rerolling during a Godfest, your chances are much better to roll a good starter. If you don't plan to spend much of anything on the game, it's best to muscle through it.

Now!

If you decide you ARE going to spend a little here and a little there, getting a decent starter is all you need to aim for. Why? Because when Godfest comes around, you can just roll 4-6 times and MAYBE get a great god! But of course, you run the risk of getting shit on like some of us have...I have had great Godfests (pulled Kirin, Luci, and Hades all in one of them...These monsters are super top tier), but I've also had shitty ones where I pulled complete garbage. It's luck of the draw. RNG.

In terms of how much balance goes into the stamina and your real life...Weekends especially, you can basically play until you get bored early on. There's a way to grind out your rank that requires almost no down time. The problem? It's boring as hell.

Once you get higher in rank, unless you're like some of the super players, you're going to WANT a break here and there. It can be pretty draining farming some of the super hard dungeons (like fucking Zeus Dios or Twinlits). In those cases, your stamina will slowly refill and give you that break. Of course, it will be a while before you get to that point. Once you're regularly clearing the super hard content, you may be to the point where you're willing to spend $5-10 a month to refill your stam and keep playing. That's the boat I'm in at this point.

So that was a REALLY long way of saying this:

If you think you might get into the game and the community (which is seriously awesome...GAF dudes and the FB group are full of really awesome and helpful people), AND you think you'll be willing to spend a little bit of money on the game, don't go crazy chasing the dragon. Reroll for a god that isn't terrible (we'll all be happy to help with that), and enjoy the game and the experience.

If all of the above is true but you DO NOT want to spend money, brace yourself and get a good starter. In my opinion, it will pay off. It's not mandatory, but know that it will make your life a lot easier.

If you're just playing just to play and kill time, don't stress. Take your starting roll and have fun.

For what it's worth, a LOT of us have well over 300 days played (I know I'm at around 370, and a few of us have hit 400 or closing in on it). PAD is EASILY one of the best F2P mobile games out there.

Damaniel

Banned
is 20-40 usd a lot to spend a month? if not then you are basically set to have loads of fun without feeling that heavy heavy barrier. even then you couldspend 40 every 2 months. that the iap way and im sure you could get away with spending less if you really plan ahead.

i know that rerolling is hard trust me ive been there, but as everybody says its a godsend to have that first really good monster. i mean trust im probably the unluckiest dude here in pad gaf.

on the early levels you can easily level up and refill your stamina meter tho as you level up that gets harder and harder. planning out your day with pad is a need if you want to be serious about it. but the game is really forgiving if you pace yourself well. (i rant a lot cause im not doing right now so i have a lot of time to play, but once time starts to became limited again, im gonna enjoy a lot more the game playing the non iap way.)

this game can really be played non iap, its probably a lil bit more tasking and takes a bit more planning, but is super doable.

hope you get lucky on the rolls we are having a godfest soon, so there is a good chance to get something good.

You're in luck...There's a Godfest coming up soon, and those are the BEST times to roll/start the game.

E: Sorry if this is messy, I was typing and reading at the same time. These do not go hand in hand.

As a pretty heavy IAP player (probably ~$10-30/month on average depending on events, what I'm doing, etc), I can't comment entirely on the F2P nature. But I can say this - with a good starting roll, you won't find need to spend much of anything.

Thanks for the responses. As for the amount I'd consider spending in IAP, if I found the game really fun, $20-$30/month isn't unreasonable. I just want to make sure I'm not making any huge mistakes before I jump in. :)

EDIT: I think I'm going to just jump in and experiment with the basic gameplay (so I can get used to it). I may end up rerolling after a short while when I've got the basic hang of things (and before buying any IAP), and read read READ whatever I can. (PAD looks so deep as to be entirely intimidating, but I'm OK with that...)

Totakeke

I think the biggest barrier to non-IAP is realizing that you will have to take a few months to build up teams to tackle harder content that's always being talked about in this thread. If you don't have the commitment or patience to do that, you will hit a wall with the game soon. Staying in this thread definitely doesn't help non-IAP players at start. :p

Limit

Entirely possible to enjoy the game without spending a single cent on it (assuming you have rolled one of plethora of recommended monsters) but stamina restriction might manifest itself as your single biggest hangup. There will be days where you will find yourself wanting to play for an hour but not being able to because you ran out of stamina in 10 minutes. I have grown to appreciate the idea of playing this game in small chunks but this kind of playtime allocation isn't for everyone.

Thanks for the responses. As for the amount I'd consider spending in IAP, if I found the game really fun, $20-$30/month isn't unreasonable. I just want to make sure I'm not making any huge mistakes before I jump in. :)

As a non-IAP player there are a few things I believe to be true (and others will disagree with to varying degrees):
1. You will always roll a top-tier leader eventually. Whether that be the first Godfest you participate in or months down the line who knows, but it will happen. The REM recently got a big buff that vastly improved the chances of rolling something good.
2. There is no "required" content that can't be beaten without spending IAP. Pretty much all optional content with a few exceptions can be cleared without IAP, too.
3. You should expect to progress at roughly 1/4th the rate of a heavy IAP player through the game. Being able to freely stone for stamina refreshes allows you to control exactly when and where you grind. On the other hand, hey, longer content for you. Again, recent progress has been made by the developers to equalize that disparity.
4. The game showers free IAP on you pretty often. You can expect around $15-20 of free funbux each month. This is a big departure from many other F2P titles and is probably one of the biggest reasons it's risen above other similar games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My internet just went out, so I can't finish. This is my current working tier list. I have reasons for all of them at this point after Cosmo's comment and reading PDX a bit.

I think #onetruegod will be left out sadly. There's no more savant tier.

S tier
751.png
801.png
494.png
496.png

A tier
807.png
753.png
490.png
747.png

B tier
745.png
515.png
640.png
362.png
364.png
799.png

$$$ tier
749.png
805.png
642.png

Damaniel

Banned
Is there a list of 'good to pull' creatures from the rare egg machine for a starter? I swear the original post had a list just a little bit ago.

EDIT: Ahh, I see an edit of the original post is in progress. :)

(For the record, I pulled Ceres.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a list of 'good to pull' creatures from the rare egg machine for a starter? I swear the original post had a list just a little bit ago.

Ceres is an amazing sub. Green and Blue Odin are also more subs than leads, but they made the B tier because they are have incredible stats, great awakenings, and play well with lots of teams.

Ceres was one of my first maxed monsters, but she only shines on devil teams (Hera-Ur, Satan, Astaroth).

Musan

Everyone has their opinion on specifics rankings, but there is a general tier list. Ceres is a god, but not a great one, just good for resist teams and sub on devil teams.

For beginner faqs, I actually really like 4chan's take, gives a good breakdown of the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Everyone has their opinion on specifics rankings, but there is a general tier list. Ceres is a god, but not a great one, just good for resist teams and sub on devil teams.

For beginner faqs, I actually really like 4chan's take, gives a good breakdown of the game.

I really like their write up. I agree with almost all of it, too. I think I would break out the IAP leads to a $$$ tier like I'm working on. The benefits of a Google Doc shine here, too. I can't stand formatting the OP, ha.

J0dy77

My internet just went out, so I can't finish. This is my current working tier list. I have reasons for all of them at this point after Cosmo's comment and reading PDX a bit.

S tier
751.png
801.png
494.png
496.png

A tier
807.png
753.png
490.png
747.png

B tier
745.png
515.png
640.png
362.png
364.png
799.png

$$$ tier
749.png
805.png
642.png

Not liking this list at all.

Amon37

6 pulls during the last godfest which had the most spike leaders and nothing. So dissapointing.

I have to settle for death stroke but luckily he works great with my U&Y friends.

coy

S tier
751.png
801.png
494.png
496.png

A tier
807.png
753.png
490.png
747.png

B tier
745.png
515.png
640.png
362.png
364.png
799.png

$$$ tier
749.png
805.png
642.png

I thought you liked Kushinada?

Tobe

try pulling a good combo lead, i think with the current festival it would take aroudn 10 pulls with really good luck to get a kush or bastet, personally i prefer bastet + she is waifu material :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I thought you liked Kushinada?

Like I said, internet is out. I'm going to work on it more tomorrow and Wednesday. There are Gods I want to add and possibly shift around a little. I'm not sure I want to bother with the non-combo leads...Maybe just rank colors for those who opt out of combo lead rolling.

On second thought AnU falls behind since her active is terribawful and she only has one great awakening. Izanagi has a very good active while L.Meta has Team Healer synergy and Bind Resist awakenings.

Damaniel

Banned

Agreed - I read through that document, and it's been very helpful too, though I have to say I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into here... :)

Fortunately, I have a rooted phone and some patience (and I can delete data048.bin directly from the phone with ES File Explorer), so I'll try going down the rolling route for a while.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
On second thought AnU falls behind since her active is terribawful and she only has one great awakening. Izanagi has a very good active while L.Meta has Team Healer synergy and Bind Resist awakenings.

Factoring in awakenings and actives for a huge list of monsters is an ordeal, haha. AnU has a pretty strong sub pool. That's one thing she has going for her. I'm open to suggestions all around. I think the tiers could go as far as S, A, B, C, $$$. So if folks want to build up ideas and explain why, I'll be doing an update in the morning/afternoon.

maks

Interesting tier list.

I have U&Y and Bastet from last godfest. Didn't realize U&Y was that highly regarded. Not using either of them at all...I've been going with Robin for descends and Satan/WD Ares for farming.

I also got Dark Meta and Byakko from last godfest. They are evo'd and up to level 60. Not using them either lol.

Jiraiza

I really like their write up. I agree with almost all of it, too. I think I would break out the IAP leads to a $$$ tier like I'm working on. The benefits of a Google Doc shine here, too. I can't stand formatting the OP, ha.

For all intents and purposes, anyone can freely contribute to the document so it's not just a /padg/ exclusive thing or anything although it's in the middle of getting cleaned up right now.

You guys should consider using their friends list spreadsheet here too.

hamchan

I don't know what the $$$ tier means but I just started playing the game and spent like 20 hours over 3 days rerolling to get an Incarnation of Genbu, Meimei, with nothing else good popping up.

If it means I'll have to spend money to complement this monster then I'm fine with that.

linsivvi

I don't know what the $$$ tier means but I just started playing the game and spent like 20 hours over 3 days rerolling to get an Incarnation of Genbu, Meimei, with nothing else good popping up.

If it means I'll have to spend money to complement this monster then I'm fine with that.

To fully unlock her power you need good REM rolls so that means either very good luck in getting the specific subs that compliments her or spending a lot of money.

shouldn't Astaroth team be under $$$?
even without skilling up it's a REALLY good setup with stability health and healing capability..
provided they don't one shot you, you WiLL kill them :p

Got up to rd 27 in True Endless with Kirin/Valk/Zeus/Echidna/Orochi/Kirin. Got too stingy with my skills against Valkyrie and instead of killing her outright, I allowed her to throw up her shield. Then she resurrected when I got her below 50% health. Then she bound some of my team. Then I ran out of Hearts while waiting for teammates to unbind. Such a foolish loss so close to the end.

I think I'll try it with Angelion instead of Zeus next time. I'll be giving up a lot of raw stats and the 35% Wrath of God, but I'll be gaining a more versatile skill with much quicker cooldown that will allow me to either heal or combine with Valk for a burst attack if needed. Next time, I'll use any skills necessary to kill Valk before she can attack, since Athena should be much easier to charge skills on, especially with Angelion providing Hearts if I run out. Then I gotta hope I get lucky and get Hera-Is and not Hera-Ur in rd 29, because Hera-Ur puts up a preemptive shield which would block Echidna's Menace.

S tier
751.png
801.png
494.png
496.png

A tier
807.png
753.png
490.png
747.png

B tier
745.png
515.png
640.png
362.png
364.png
799.png

$$$ tier
749.png
805.png
642.png

Other than missing Luci, it looks like a great list. I know you aren't finished, and maybe he is not S tier anymore (his teams have serious issues with Twinlit, Beelzebub, and Zues-Dios). He can definitely get you through a ton of content.

Kreed

Like I said, internet is out. I'm going to work on it more tomorrow and Wednesday. There are Gods I want to add and possibly shift around a little. I'm not sure I want to bother with the non-combo leads...Maybe just rank colors for those who opt out of combo lead rolling.

It might be a good idea to be "preemptive" and add some upcoming gods to the list too, that way you aren't having to update this list again. Like the evolved forms of the egyptian gods we know we will be getting (Horus, Ra, Isis).

Interesting tier list.

I have U&Y and Bastet from last godfest. Didn't realize U&Y was that highly regarded. Not using either of them at all...I've been going with Robin for descends and Satan/WD Ares for farming.

I also got Dark Meta and Byakko from last godfest. They are evo'd and up to level 60. Not using them either lol.

I highly advise looking into D.Meta and Byakko. Both teams are seriously strong and might make some of the descends easier to clear.

Top Bottom