• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So. Much. Rerolling...

So, I've spent a few hours rolling (and rerolling, and rerolling...)

After far too many assorted 3*/4* dragons and knights, I finally pulled something different, but it's one of the new monsters, apparently (Blazing Maiden, Princess Valkyrie). Any opinions? Is that 'good enough', or should I really hold out for a Horus, Bastet, Kushinadahime, or something along those lines? (I certainly don't mind throwing her away and rerolling if she's totally useless, but my luck with the RNG is rather lacking...)

Honestly, she's not terrible. She's almost as good as OG Valk, she just has a unique sub color set. OG Valk is really great because her main element is light, and there no light weaknesses, AND she can crazy farm Hera, Super Metal Descended, and a few other dark monster dungeons. The new Valks, while not game changing, can definitely build a strong healer team early on.

If you're just looking to start playing and getting your hands dirty, she will suffice. She's not as good as the combo leads, but she's certainly more useful than a lot of the stuff you can pull.

Depends on your box of course...

But Dark/Wood/Water all have really good subs.

Depending on the dungeon, Orochi, Hera-Is, Divine Hera, Duke Vamp, Freyja, GrOdin, Bastet, Chu, Parv, Sieg. What you want is a lot of dual colors. That's how most any Chinese god is - dual colors to cover everything while getting the benefit of that 12.25x damage. The reason Karin would be A tier is because dark subs are SO easy to come by, super easy to level, and very versatile.

Thanks! I might post my box later, but of those you mentioned I have Duke Vamp, GrOdin, and Chu, but Chu's not fully evolved. I'm getting to the point where I'm high enough rank to fill all these guys onto a team but it's slow going. I also have a bunch of other dark subs like Tiamat, and Drawn Joker, I also threw the Dark Minerva on that team.

Actually I'm starting to feel pretty good about my options. I've been completely non-IAP so it's only taken me a little over 200 log-in days to get to where I am now.

I haven't posted in a while, so I'll just run down my thoughts about everything, so far.

Red Odin looks insanely good. He completely supplants Abyss Neptune, too, since his poison is way, way, way better.

I really don't know if I would put Bastet over Horus (but I totally would over Kushinada). Her skill is much harder to trigger reliably, I think, and Ultimate Horus gives you options for 25x.

Both Legendary Dragon and Skydragon Rush dungeons are extremely easy with SoD Lucifer. For Legendary, just bring someone with poison, and for Skydragon, bring two heart makers, and you won't have any problem. The dungeons don't even take that long, since those dragons aren't too heavy on HP or defense.

I just started playing around with U&Y, and it's pretty interesting. I think the one glaring weakness of the twins is that they don't play well with Echidna (and I don't have Viper Orochi). I do have D/L Batman and D/D Batman, though, so that's an option, at least. They rock the hell out of the green mystery dragon dungeon, though, that's for sure.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I haven't posted in a while, so I'll just run down my thoughts about everything, so far.

Red Odin looks insanely good. He completely supplants Abyss Neptune, too, since his poison is way, way, way better.

I really don't know if I would put Bastet over Horus (but I totally would over Kushinada). Her skill is much harder to trigger reliably, I think, and Ultimate Horus gives you options for 25x.

Both Legendary Dragon and Skydragon Rush dungeons are extremely easy with SoD Lucifer. For Legendary, just bring someone with poison, and for Skydragon, bring two heart makers, and you won't have any problem. The dungeons don't even take that long, since those dragons aren't too heavy on HP or defense.

I just started playing around with U&Y, and it's pretty interesting. I think the one glaring weakness of the twins is that they don't play well with Echidna (and I don't have Viper Orochi). I do have D/L Batman and D/D Batman, though, so that's an option, at least. They rock the hell out of the green mystery dragon dungeon, though, that's for sure.

Once Horus ult comes out, I'd say he becomes awesome. I think Horus and Bastet would be equally good in terms of leader ability. The big difference is that Horus is all or nothing while Bastet is control. 16x kills a lot of stuff in one shot, whereas Bastet can slectively trigger 16x or some lower multiplier to pick off waves.

Genji

Combination of both. Yellow one is definitely rarer than blue (and anecdotally green is he most common of them all) but not 5:1 rare.

Exactly why we need the GungHo collab. Getting yellow Drops everywhere on the JP side the last couple days.

Yeah, the drops have evened out to not be as drastic as they initially were, I managed to get 4 yellow drops in 2 runs. Of course they resulted in 0 skill ups :) Green does seem to be the most common.

Would love for the GungHo collab to make it over here!

J0dy77

Mine is up.

E: 4100 too much?

Mine is 3.8K, is that good?

Thanks guys, did the math and I had the threshold with my 4700 friend.

This game really knows how to troll. I breezed through the first 4 levels and then got orb trolled on the final 2 rounds of the boss. Brought him down to 2% when I wiped. Second dungeon in a few days that I've wiped on the final turn and under 2% (satan the other). Should have brought echidna for the delay. Oh well, next time.

Once Horus ult comes out, I'd say he becomes awesome. I think Horus and Bastet would be equally good in terms of leader ability. The big difference is that Horus is all or nothing while Bastet is control. 16x kills a lot of stuff in one shot, whereas Bastet can slectively trigger 16x or some lower multiplier to pick off waves.
That's only true if you can consistently 7-combo and somehow control your cascades. I actually have both and use them about equally, but I find that, with Bastet, I'm often getting smaller combos and not getting enough damage, whereas with Horus, almost any board is good enough for 16x, and it only takes a 4-combo to activate it.

That's actually the same reason I'm not super fond of Kushinada. You need big combos to get big damage.

J0dy77

Your assuming that everyone is running dual Horus. I almost exclusively run with another leader, usually Kirin. This makes 4x sniping easier than most progressive match teams since you don't have to worry about cascade trolls (as much).

Matching any 3 colors and dark with Kirin/Horus allows you to control damage and also setup the board for Kirin matches by clearing dark. Once Horus' Ultimate comes to US he's back as the #2 mob for me by a wide margin. The only reason I put him behind Kirin is because of the terrible Awakenings and leader skill. Having a 20% gravity that you can reduce to 10 turn CD is just OP.

Matching 4 colors can be done on almost every board. I find it harder to get the big 6+ combos that are needed for those burst teams. Throw in the 25x bursts when I do match all and i'll take Horus over all but Kirin.

Edit: Keep in mind a lot of this is personal preference. I've been playing with Horus since I rolled him in his very first godfest when he was released. I can match 4 colors in my sleep. You get comfortable and prefer/learn the tricks of the monsters you play most with. I'm sure people who run Kush and Bastet know the tricks for maxing their damage and surviving dungeons.

Nista

I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to evolve my Zeus yet due to terrible luck with mythlits the past few weeks. I wanted a chance to try Twinlits but it's come too soon it seems :/

My Horus is one of my few max level monsters, and I can't wait to get his ult evo. I just can't pull off Ra with any sort of regularity.

Having not been able to get a chaser to drop, do you guys think that Batman dark team is my best bet for Tengu tomorrow?

Nista

I really hope we get gold dragons this time.

I have 20 yellow pengdras waiting to evolve and Kirin, Zeus, Verche, Venus all waiting to be leveled.

This times 1000. I'm even saving some stones to get enough dragons to rid my box of pengdras.

I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to evolve my Zeus yet due to terrible luck with mythlits the past few weeks. I wanted a chance to try Twinlits but it's come too soon it seems :/

My Horus is one of my few max level monsters, and I can't wait to get his ult evo. I just can't pull off Ra with any sort of regularity.

Having not been able to get a chaser to drop, do you guys think that Batman dark team is my best bet for Tengu tomorrow?

Lower level yes, Batman dark team can take out Tengu.

For the higher level Tengu dungeon? No, you need fire to take it down. I used a Shaitan fire team, with an Ultimate Ogre for the Flame's level. I still ended up using a stone, just ran out of heart orbs (severely RCV constrained) Fire Chaser should correct that by adding more ATK to the mix.

J0dy77

Having Zeus max at level 50 might be better than a lower level evolved version. As long as your other team members are strong enough you might be able to get through.

Nista

Having Zeus max at level 50 might be better than a lower level evolved version. As long as your other team members are strong enough you might be able to get through.

You might have a point there. I've been trying to level up my Ltron team as well so I fed off my super golds, but it's not close to having enough HP or +eggs to survive.

The only other option is Ra, if I take you guys up on the planning app and have enough dmg on the subs.

May have to pass on Tengu again this time and just focus on leveling and poring skillups.

Clydefrog

Wow... Last time that Dragonrush came along, Legend gave me hell. Now, several levels later, I just breezed throught the thing like hot knife on a butter with double lucifer team.

Weird, when you got through the threshold, it felt like playing easy mode.

Must be nice. I just cleared dragonrush on expert and will attempt master.. but there’s no way I’m doing legend. Partly because I only have 60 max stamina so I’d have to use a stone and also because it looks hard as hell. Does the drop rate increase on the harder difficulty or should I just farm the 15 stamina version of the dungeon for drops?

I might post my monster box to get some hints and where to go as I’ve seemed to hit a wall at the normal dungeon named Ocean of Heaven (monsters just gettin’ too stronk)

razterik

Unless you are doing Legend, don't farm the dragon rush dungeons. The drop rate is horrid and they aren't really worth it. Legend also drops the ultimate versions, which means you don't have to waste materials on these trophies.

Unless you are doing Legend, don't farm the dragon rush dungeons. The drop rate is horrid and they aren't really worth it. Legend also drops the ultimate versions, which means you don't have to waste materials on these trophies.

I tend to agree...even though Legend is still BRUTAL on the drop rate.

Legendary dragons, in general, kind of suck, anyway.

Dragons, in general, kind of suck right now. I guess they used to be good, back in the day, but there are too many gods floating about these days.

Legendary dragons, in general, kind of suck, anyway.

Dragons, in general, kind of suck right now. I guess they used to be good, back in the day, but there are too many gods floating about these days.

Wish they would somehow make dragons more relevant. Or, just change the game title to Puzzle and Spikers

Man it's rough running Poring when you're looking for a specific drop. Main goal is to max skill my 2nd valk. 10 runs today net 6 Drops, and grant 1 skill-up. Does anyone know if we'll see a random 2x drop rate like they do in Ja-- ahahaha Oh man, I almost made it through without crackin' up.

Man it's rough running Poring when you're looking for a specific drop. Main goal is to max skill my 2nd valk. 10 runs today net 6 Drops, and grant 1 skill-up. Does anyone know if we'll see a random 2x drop rate like they do in Ja-- ahahaha Oh man, I almost made it through without crackin' up.

yeah...Valk Porings are rough going. I've had one drop in about 7 runs or so. No skillups of course.

J0dy77

yeah...Valk Porings are rough going. I've had one drop in about 7 runs or so. No skillups of course.

I was just remembering how awful poring tower is without 2x drop rate. I've only seen one blue so far. Does anyone else see a ton of green? I think they spawn them constantly for the high defense annoyance.

I was just remembering how awful poring tower is without 2x drop rate. I've only seen one blue so far. Does anyone else see a ton of green? I think they spawn them constantly for the high defense annoyance.

Yeah, green is the most abundant. As was stated in the previous page, I sure wish we have the GungHo Collaboration dungeon stateside. I've got a tone of yellow drops there, but nothing to skill up.

Tobe

no skill ups, wasted 3 dark mystics, 7 big baddies, 2 water porings, 2 wood ones. dont know what else ive tried but it sure doesnt feel like 2x skill up to me. also saw tamadras 3 tamadras YEIII, no fucking drops tho.

got quite a problem who should i level up with blue exp.

i got

lvl 67 Demon viper orochi
lvl 23 viper orochi (should i level him up and evolve him for the free awake?)
lvl 13 berserk
lvl 25 fenrir knight (really need to evolve him so i can run mono blue)
lvl 51 enchantress of the sea, siren
lvl 32 I&I (non busty)
lvl 31 Lakshmi

xCobalt

no skill ups, wasted 3 dark mystics, 7 big baddies, 2 water porings, 2 wood ones. dont know what else ive tried but it sure doesnt feel like 2x skill up to me. also saw tamadras 3 tamadras YEIII, no fucking drops tho.

got quite a problem who should i level up with blue exp.

i got

lvl 13 berserk
lvl 32 I&I (non busty)
lvl 31 Lakshmi

I'd say berserk. Great stats and a very useful ability if paired with siren.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
lvl 13 berserk
lvl 32 I&I (non busty)
lvl 31 Lakshmi

Great choices: Orochi (busy), I&I, Berserk (Sieg is a great sub...nobody runs him as leader anymore, though).

OK choices: Fenrir, Siren (getting her to ~70-75 is all you need to do since she's kind of situational anymore).

Don't bother with Lakshmi or your low level Orochi. I'm not sure Lakshmi is useful in any possible team right now. Maybe she is, but I have two and I haven't touched them. Ever. As for your low level Orochi, he'll make a fine quick and dirty resolve team if you ever need one, so I would just leave him be. My second one is at level 5 or something like that.

Orochi's awakening's are really bizarre, so only do that if you find yourself subbing him a lot. I've been running some fun teams with Orochi/Echidna/Susano/BlOdin lately, and Orochi is proving useful there. I might use some of my Tamadra on him since I have like 9 I'm not using at the moment.

KuroNeeko

I can't believe how much the game has changed in the last 6 months or so. Seems like most of the units that were once considered "strong" are now sub-par and the Egyptian pantheon (as well as newer combo units) are just running rampant all over the place.

What is GH's reasoning behind this, I wonder. Are they just trying to create a need for these new units so people will spend on REM?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Batman is up for me. Running Batman/Batman + Lillith/Vamp/Siren/Dark Demon. Hope to run Master enough to get the drop. Legend just looks silly since I don't have my fire team ready and I can't combo Robin reliably.

Zero_IYAD

I'll stick mine up. I owe you since your Lucifer got me through my first couple of dungeons!
Batman is up for me. Running Batman/Batman + Lillith/Vamp/Siren/Dark Demon. Hope to run Master enough to get the drop. Legend just looks silly since I don't have my fire team ready and I can't combo Robin reliably.
Am going in with D/D Batman, DDK, Vampire Lord, Ice Armor Ogre, Siren

KuroNeeko

I was going for an Astaroth, Lucifer, Gabriel, or dat Andromeda, but the game just gave me a Mei-mei.

Looks like she's rated pretty highly. What does GAF say? Is she a good fit for a non-paying, JP player?

Totakeke

Andromeda would be pretty difficult to work with for a new player. A top tier meimei team would require IAP, but you could do worse. Still, I'd think most people would say to reroll if you have patience for it.

chrono01

I've gone through around 9 Blue Poring and 6 Green ones, and not one skill-up. Also several of the other ones. My only victory? Two skill-up's on Siren, who's easy to skill-up anyway. ~_~

I hate this game sometimes.

KuroNeeko

Andromeda would be pretty difficult to work with for a new player. A top tier meimei team would require IAP, but you could do worse. Still, I'd think most people would say to reroll if you have patience for it.

Damn, really? :/

I'm trying to find a good list of starters that doesn't require a lot of money. There's got to be more out there than just Bastet and Horus. :/

Sucks because I used to have Horus before I stopped playing about 6 months ago. To be honest, I'd be happy running a stall team like Astaroth or Lucifer but they're just not dropping. ;.;

I'm trying to find a good list of starters that doesn't require a lot of money. There's got to be more out there than just Bastet and Horus. :/

Sucks because I used to have Horus before I stopped playing about 6 months ago. To be honest, I'd be happy running a stall team like Astaroth or Lucifer but they're just not dropping. ;.;
Astaroth is pure IAP bro...

Limit

Rerolling for a specific monster is now harder than ever given how much the monster roster has grown over the last few months. I'd say stick with Mei Mei. You will be able to tackle several descended dungeons with her and by the time you reach this point you will have collected enough stones to acquire several more gods.

KuroNeeko

Huh, where'd my edit go?

I'm just going to give Mei-mei a shot;D

While I'll miss running with a Siren and Naga (scratch that, I'll probably still use Naga), I like her colors and she looks fun to use. In retrospect, maybe I should have stuck with Gabriel, but Mei-mei is coming up consistently as an A-tier monster for non-IAP players so hopefully she'll treat me right!

Thanks for the input! I remember your advice when I'm drinking myself into a stupor because I failed some Descending run...

** Man, not getting an attack bonus on Naga is going to suck:/

linsivvi

Huh, where'd my edit go?

I'm just going to give Mei-mei a shot;D

While I'll miss running with a Siren and Naga (scratch that, I'll probably still use Naga), I like her colors and she looks fun to use. In retrospect, maybe I should have stuck with Gabriel, but Mei-mei is coming up consistently as an A-tier monster for non-IAP players so hopefully she'll treat me right!

Thanks for the input! I remember your advice when I'm drinking myself into a stupor because I failed some Descending run...

** Man, not getting an attack bonus on Naga is going to suck:/

Yeah you could do worse. Meimei will still help you clear most of the normal contents and some descends even without IAP. You'll get plenty of free stones so eventually you'll get something better in a God fest.

Totakeke

Eh, how's Astaroth pure IAP? A typical Astaroth team is 2 or 3x gravity (Hera/Hera-is) with DJ and maybe another utility monster.

Kreed

I can't believe how much the game has changed in the last 6 months or so. Seems like most of the units that were once considered "strong" are now sub-par and the Egyptian pantheon (as well as newer combo units) are just running rampant all over the place.

What is GH's reasoning behind this, I wonder. Are they just trying to create a need for these new units so people will spend on REM?

Gungho has been trying to balance the game without changing the content or nerfing characters, which is the biggest problem. For example, when Lucifer was introduced I doubt Gungho realized how powerful that move and leader combo was, allowing the character to completely dominate the game at one point because there was no content at the time that a Lucifer team couldn't clear. So Gungho started making content to counter this character, but by doing that they made the content too hard for just about every other "good/great" lead at the time. So they had to introduce more and more characters that could handle this content, ranging from Spike leaders, low cost dungeons, and new characters with gimmicky skills like Tengu.

Also, I think Gungho still wants this game to be a "puzzle" game of some sort. So by introducing more high rewarding "combo/match" units, it increases the challenge in a way vs teams that don't require as much skill.

Top Bottom