• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

Colby

Ok, Just wondering - I personally don't believe the number - nor do I think the number is 'static' - there are certainly times where I've seen skill up rates much higher and recent much lower.

the problem with statistics is that you can hide a lot of information. I've seen the 1/10 (regular skill up number) on a few boards and they are all based on guesses.

Since spending money in the game I've been a lot more critical of the numbers.

There certainly is an algorithm that is used to generate the levels and the skyfall patterns. it is *not* random.

given that information it irks me when the company says the rate is "2x" - which could be true, but not knowing what the 1x rate it is makes the information useless.
This is one of my big complaints. I feel like a significant gameplay number like skillup chance should be known and listed somewhere in-game. Same with the chance for 1.5x and 2x bonus exp upon fusion.

Jagernaut

This is one of my big complaints. I feel like a significant gameplay number like skillup chance should be known and listed somewhere in-game. Same with the chance for 1.5x and 2x bonus exp upon fusion.

I wish feeding 5 at a time guaranteed at least 1 skillup. Getting nothing after collecting 5, and worse evolving them, is depressing.

Quantum

Unfortunately its even more confusing then people would believe.

just because the company says its a 2x rate for "skill-up" it doesn't mean that the skill-up rate for each mob/card is the same. I've seen no evidence to believe that there is one universal "skill-up" rate. The company has the ability to tweak every number - why would they have just one universal rate.

Just like the Godfest - a "3x" rate might be applied to a very low number, but that number is different depending on its rarity.

as customers we believe that the rates are universal - but there is no reason to believe that.

I'd also like to point out something I said in the last post - there has to be an underlying algorithm to the way the board drops. I have never - in *thousands* of games had a starting board with three orbs matching on the first skyfall (or board set-up).

the lack of true randomness in the initial board set up is logical from the way we play the game - but it can not be truly random, nor is it ever claimed to be.

given the gunghos ability to change the statistics of the REM/PAL and Drop rates at any time, and given that there is never a premade match three on the first board, how hard do you think it is to manipulate the board during the game.

while I'm doing my best not to be making an accusation, I don't believe that the game is completely random - and there is a certain amount of "on the rails" play.

I have currently bought a total of 255 stones. I will likely continue to buy stones as I've put more hours into this game than some mmorpgs I've played for years. But just liek the mmorpgs - all statistics can be manipulated - and generally are.

Yeah. I don't think there's an equal chance to skill-up every monster. Anecdotally, I've skilled-up a ton of monsters, and the ones that are super easy to farm tend have horrible skill-up rates. I'm talking about monsters like Devils and Carbuncles. I've max some of their levels out before maxing their skills.

No problem. My Odin has everything but plus eggs and has been very useful in certain dungeons. I've even cheesed my way through some descends with him since he is bind proof.

I usually run Ares, Valk, Red Sonia, Horus, Bastet, and Dark Metatron but let me know when you need me to put GOdin up.
is he max skilled?

yami4ct

I finally have an L.Tron team ready to take on Twinlits on Friday. Super pumped to give this a go. I'm sure I'll fall flat on my face, but interested to see exactly where I mess up so I can improve.

Tobe

I finally have an L.Tron team ready to take on Twinlits on Friday. Super pumped to give this a go. I'm sure I'll fall flat on my face, but interested to see exactly where I mess up so I can improve.

what s the team comp?

tron/tron
lilith
enchilada
shynee
valk

yami4ct

what s the team comp?

tron/tron
lilith
enchilada
shynee
valk

I'm going

Tron/Tron
Bastet
Echidna
Shynee
Valk

As it'll be far easier for me to hit the HP minimum that way. A little tougher and longer to beat than going with a Lilith build, but it's what I can do right now.

Tobe

I'm going

Tron/Tron
Bastet
Echidna
Shynee
Valk

As it'll be far easier for me to hit the HP minimum that way. A little tougher and longer to beat than going with a Lilith build, but it's what I can do right now.

dont know if you can kill the dubs with that. hum well just hope you get 3 turn timers.

linsivvi

http://mobile.gungho.jp/news/pad/140514_hogyoku.html

New dungeon and fagan ultimate

Seems theses new evo mats skill up thechinese girls. No more chasers!!! Yay

Not a new dungeon. The Chinese gods will randomly invade mythical difficulty dungeons (each day with a specific invade) and drop the evo mats, which skill up the Chinese gods and for evolving Fagan.

That sounds like hell since most mythical teams are tuned specifically for that dungeon, and at 50 stamina a pop for a chance to invade......

Kreed

Yeah it sounds completely unnecessary. Not only is Fagan not worth the time or investment even with his new ultimates to attempt to get all these new materials for, but now they are messing up the mythical dungeons for a chance to skill up the chinese gods that we already have way easier ways to skill up.

J0dy77

Not a new dungeon. The Chinese gods will randomly invade mythical difficulty dungeons (each day with a specific invade) and drop the evo mats, which skill up the Chinese gods and for evolving Fagan.

That sounds like hell since most mythical teams are tuned specifically for that dungeon, and at 50 stamina a pop for a chance to invade......

Bleh... i agree with cosmo. Sounds horrible.

This sounds like complete bullshit.

The slow demise continues...

razterik

I like the idea of 4x physical, but it's probably not very practical without lots of RCV eggs.

The Chinese jewel invades are stupid, but it seems better than chaser farming unless the invade rate is super low. Once they are done strip-mining stones, these will likely get pushed into their own dungeon like every other evo material. And these jewels have to show up in PAL eggs eventually (not that we will see that upgrade here for 6+ months...).

The main complaint I have is how fast they are introducing new evo mats. Masks came out two weeks ago and are only used for a small handful of things, but here's something else already.

Kreed

I like the idea of 4x physical, but it's probably not very practical without lots of RCV eggs.

The Chinese jewel invades are stupid, but it seems better than chaser farming unless the invade rate is super low. Once they are done strip-mining stones, these will likely get pushed into their own dungeon like every other evo material. And these jewels have to show up in PAL eggs eventually (not that we will see that upgrade here for 6+ months...).

The main complaint I have is how fast they are introducing new evo mats. Masks came out two weeks ago and are only used for a small handful of things, but here's something else already.

You're assuming these will be used for other monsters. I could honestly see these items being exclusive to Fagan, since he is also paired up with the Chinese Gods in his Technical Dungeon.

yami4ct

Initially this Chinese invade thing sounded like complete bullshit, but now it seems like this is basically some dumb time-limited intro for these jewels. Invades are only happening for a couple weeks. These things will likely see a more reasonable dungeon after I suspect. Really, this event seems purely to strip stones from crazy people who can't wait.

razterik

You're assuming these will be used for other monsters. I could honestly see these items being exclusive to Fagan, since he is also paired up with the Chinese Gods in his Technical Dungeon.

Seems like a lot of effort for one monster. And are they going to keep bringing these invades back all the time, then? Because you can pick up Kouryu at any point. If anything, I could see these jewels being used for chaser evolutions or ultimates.

J0dy77

The slow demise continues...

One thing I always loved about PAD during the prime of OT1 and the beginning of OT2 was the great balance and challenge of the dungeons. The descended dungeons were hard but not brutally unforgiving, when I lost I felt like I just needed to work on my team a bit more or match a bit better, get a bit luckier. With all of the newer dungeons and especially the new Evo material dungeons the cost is absurd and the bullshit factor is extreme. Sad changes for me.

Tobe

I think pad has a I'm between of natural and forced evolution. People used to run twinlits with Zeus. And is was possible, is the go to build. And that team was complete farmable. Yeah 1f is a bitch but you could still do it.

Pad isn't incredibly unforgiving but now that you see the new dungeons you need to learn the basic well. If learn how to so a manual ctw you are golden look at paprika I'm pretty sure that if you train yourself to see those patterns from the get go the game wouldn't be so hard. Th problem was introducing luci. Combo were non existent to him stall stall stall nuke rinse and repeat.

The thing about Twinlits that sucks is that there are very few team archetypes that can clear it (not to mention reliably, or without IAP), many evolutions that require them, and that the dungeon is so brutally unforgiving. Keeper of Gold and Ancient Masks being significantly simpler seem like an admission of fault.

I do like how Twinlits requires teams with no extraneous parts. Every sub fulfills a specific role in clearing the dungeon and there's more to the dungeon than paprika-ing and facerolling waves. It's just that turn 1 being a dice roll combined with the high cost of failure makes it an unpleasant experience overall.

Rare evo mats in PAL has definitely taken the sting out of the dungeon. I've got two twinlitted busties so far and haven't even attempted to run the dang thing on US.

The thing about Twinlits that sucks is that there are very few team archetypes that can clear it (not to mention reliably, or without IAP), many evolutions that require them, and that the dungeon is so brutally unforgiving. Keeper of Gold and Ancient Masks being significantly simpler seem like an admission of fault.

I do like how Twinlits requires teams with no extraneous parts. Every sub fulfills a specific role in clearing the dungeon and there's more to the dungeon than paprika-ing and facerolling waves. It's just that turn 1 being a dice roll combined with the high cost of failure makes it an unpleasant experience overall.

Keeper of gold isn't as difficult as Twinlits? What kind of team that isn't Horus or Kirin can reliably take that one down? - Nevermind, I just looked at PDX and saw a Ronia team I can field...

Twinlits - Yeah It takes every part to come up with a good team. Some are REM heavy (mine sure is Dual ultimate Shiva Leads ( both fully awoken), fully awoken Ammy, fully awoken Ronia, King Baddie, Hera-Ur ), but there are those random ones that are not as REM heavy (Dual zues, echidna, Lilith, Hera, and Hera seem to be popular but VERY variable it's what I used the first time) And ALL of these seem to rely on the first level not completely screwing you... first floor is gravy with 1 mythlit surviving (just have to stall for 21 turns), really difficult with 2 surviving (but doable), and downright impossible if more than 2 survive.

Also - Max Skilled Chaos Dragon Knight Voice. Next up is Godly knight Verche. Then everyone will be 6* and max skilled... except for you Fenrir knight you are still 4*, skill level 2, and unliked in all surveys.

Gold Keeper is less difficult than twinlits? I really need to start making a team for it.

Apparently a Dual Ronia leads, King Baddie, Nebradisk, and Two High stat Devils can take it down. (greater than 12500 HP, sub in Nebra for rounds 4 & 5 only).

Other than that, a random Hermes & I&I team (1 stone team), a couple of dual Green Odin teams, and the ever popular REM MASSIVE blue Sonia team, it is almost exclusively Kirin, Horus, U&Y and Pandora.

Gold Keeper is less difficult than twinlits? I really need to start making a team for it.

Simpler, not less difficult. The only thing to watch out for is the completely deterministic Dark Absorb. If you survive the gear check and have the DPS for Gold Keeper, you're good to go.

Also Dragon Poker gives exact rates for EXP feeding, skillups, and REM pulls. SS cards come out at an amazing 7% chance!

J0dy77

I think pad has a I'm between of natural and forced evolution. People used to run twinlits with Zeus. And is was possible, is the go to build. And that team was complete farmable. Yeah 1f is a bitch but you could still do it.

Pad isn't incredibly unforgiving but now that you see the new dungeons you need to learn the basic well. If learn how to so a manual ctw you are golden look at paprika I'm pretty sure that if you train yourself to see those patterns from the get go the game wouldn't be so hard. Th problem was introducing luci. Combo were non existent to him stall stall stall nuke rinse and repeat.

Twinlit BS has nothing to do with training. I ran the friday dungeon three times last week and got orb trolled twice without 3 light orbs on the board to start the game with Zeus team. Bye bye 100 stamina just because of random nonsense.

Okamid3n

I've been playing for a month and a half and this is the first time I've ever tried to skill up a monster. 0/10 on skill-ups on my CDK, uugh. People weren't kidding, skilling up monsters is awful, especially with my low 69 stamina.

All I really want is to skill up Echidna (and maybe Verche for my Kirin team), I was planning on spending stones on stamina for that whenever they schedule that event back in but...now I'm worried.

Colby

With only 69 stamina, I wouldn't waste stones. You won't get too much bang for your buck, unless you're IAP, then go to town with your bad self.

Quantum

double middle finger towards gungho today.

ran Dark knight sword all day yesterday 2 drops - zero skill up.
ran Dark knight sword all day on expert today - zero drops.

*WTF*

Edit: at least I got to play with Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao, such a fun leader to play with.

colinp

Banned
Echidna -might- be the one monster worth stoning for skillups regardless of maximum stamina, as long as you can clear Expert consistently.

Really? Expert isn't a guaranteed drop though, right? Maybe at 2x it'd be worthwhile. If the rates the same as DNS... Eeehhhhh, not sure it's worth it.

Okamid3n

Well I'm pretty far along in normal/technical dungeons (beat some of starlight sanctuary) and have begun doing some descends (Hera-is Legend, easy 0-stone Hera) and I feel like a skilled up echidna would be pretty worth it in my Kirin team.

I've got about 15 stones saved up to blow on this, anyhow. But now I'm wondering if that's even gonna be enough....I just feel like a skilled-up Echidna would be the fastest path to accessing more content, because I don't know how long I can go on farming normal dungeons I've already beaten without getting bored.

Do you guys still think it's not worth it? Can I max-skill up Echidna if I'm willing to blow 10+ stones?

Well I'm pretty far along in normal/technical dungeons (beat some of starlight sanctuary) and have begun doing some descends (Hera-is Legend, easy 0-stone Hera) and I feel like a skilled up echidna would be pretty worth it in my Kirin team.

I've got about 15 stones saved up to blow on this, anyhow. But now I'm wondering if that's even gonna be enough....I just feel like a skilled-up Echidna would be the fastest path to accessing more content, because I don't know how long I can go on farming normal dungeons I've already beaten without getting bored.

Do you guys still think it's not worth it? Can I max-skill up Echidna if I'm willing to blow 10+ stones?

Now that I think about it some more... might not want to go overboard on stoning SSP. Echidna skillup trolling has broken many a PAD player.

razterik

Really? Expert isn't a guaranteed drop though, right? Maybe at 2x it'd be worthwhile. If the rates the same as DNS... Eeehhhhh, not sure it's worth it.

None of the survey dungeons are guaranteed drops, even on 2x. The last time I even remember Echidna's dungeon going on 2x was way back around when it was first introduced. It's incredibly rare, so don't skip it. I would guess that every stone I put toward maxing my Echidna has saved me three more stones later on -- she's that good of an investment.

Now that I think about it some more... might not want to go overboard on stoning SSP. Echidna skillup trolling has broken many a PAD player.

If they quit over this, they aren't going to go much further anyway. Most other skill ups
are worse for less return. I feel like new dungeons are harder and shorter than ever, requiring more skill ups.

If they quit over this, they aren't going to go much further anyway. Most other skill ups are worse for less return. I feel like new dungeons are harder and shorter than ever, requiring more skill ups.
None of the survey dungeons are guaranteed drops, even on 2x. The last time I even remember Echidna's dungeon going on 2x was way back around when it was first introduced. It's incredibly rare, so don't skip it. I would guess that every stone I put toward maxing my Echidna has saved me three more stones later on -- she's that good of an investment.
And this is exactly why SSP breaks players when they go 0/13 on Echidna skillups.

am_dragon

My Echidna is lvl 4 right now, I going until it's maxed. Last time I spent 3 stones to get to lvl 4.

I only needed one Dark Knight to max skill him, yesterday I ran expert 22 times. No drops for the first 12 attempts, then 2 dropped back to back, no skill up. On my 22nd run I had 3 drop, I didn't even think that was possible. The 3rd one skilled up. Hope I didn't use up all my luck there.

ZeroAKA

I spent almost the whole day farming Mystic Dark Knight and was starting to get frustrated that only 5 dropped. And then I fed them... 5 skill-ups, went from skill level 1 all the way to max. :O

I have no use for MDK in any of my teams.

Top Bottom