• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

Never thought I'd see the day where I would be annoyed over more free tamas. So much space locked out b/c I keep missing my emerald dragon dungeon windows. Gotta dump off these damn tamas!

Never thought I'd see the day where I would be annoyed over more free tamas. So much space locked out b/c I keep missing my emerald dragon dungeon windows. Gotta dump off these damn tamas!

I have like six in my box and this is after I just fed some to my Siren and Echidna to free up space. It's ridiculous.

Nista

I got my wife into play in pad she has padherder and everything lol

Yeah I got my bf hooked on PAD, he even outranks me at this point (mostly cause I play on wifi ipad instead of phone).

If I could buy one of those arcade machines in a sensible fashion I would (though I'm assuming I'd need at least 2 since it's only vs play?). It makes me sad seeing how far US arcades have declined since I was a kid.

Tobe

Seems I gotta level up big time cause Oceanus fall and shrine of the liquid flame are fucking me up, I think I could probably do it if someone had a 2x atk 2xhp green and dark monster similar to war deity ares.

Seems I gotta level up big time cause Oceanus fall and shrine of the liquid flame are fucking me up, I think I could probably do it if someone had a 2x atk 2xhp green and dark monster similar to war deity ares.
I can offer you an arche evil asta evo lead lvl 89, but you need a devil party :p

Nista

Kind of curious, is it really feasible to do a 3 Yomi team once the japanese busties come around? I keep rolling her for some reason, so I might as well make it useful.

chrono01

I just got my "additional" four Pierdra [since I already have my current Drawn Joker max-skilled]. Now I have one to keep as a low-cost sub should I need it and three more to evolve to Awaken my Drawn Joker. I'm now OFFCIALLY done with that place, and can use my Stamina on something else [like running Metal dungeons only to have Tamadra show and then not drop].

I have around 15 Wicked Lady, though, just eating up my slots. I want to sell them, since I don't have a Persephone...and yet I cannot. I must hold onto them just in-case...

I been meaning to do a writeup about awakenings based on my observations, actually, and didn't get any time to do so until tonight. Bear in mind that all this is WIP because I don't actually know if this is true myself lol

Almost every PAD player ends up with decision paralysis when trying to decide what monsters to awaken. It's nothing to be surprised or ashamed about; TAMADRA and duplicate REM mobs are so rare that performing an awakening represents a huge investment in time, effort, and money into the game. The point of this guide is to sort the numerous awakenings into tiers of usefulness as well as offer some guidance about the types of monsters whose awakenings best benefit the many team compositions out there. After reading this, hopefully you will feel more confident about what monsters to invest awakenings into.

You should already be familiar with how the Awakening mechanic works before you go on, as the guide assumes you have this knowledge. If not, go check out the one on the first page or on the GungHo website and brush up before continuing further. It also assumes some passing knowledge about endgame dungeons and team compositions.

Before even considering the various types of awakenings and monsters with awakenings, you can apply a few rule of thumbs to easily eliminate awakening candidates:
A. Don't waste TAMADRA on anything easily obtainable from the game
It goes without saying that TAMADRA are a very limited commodity, so feeding them off with wild abandon is probably a bad idea. Sure, having a party of 6 fully awakened Samurai Ogre might sound appealing, but there's no reason to burn your instant Awakening on them when those monsters are easily farmable and evolvable.

This doesn't necessarily mean that anything obtainable without rolling the REM is a bad target for a TAMADRA, though: for example, each of the heartbreakers takes about 2mil EXP and the most pain in the ass to obtain evo materials to even get to the point where they can awaken a duplicate. The effort investment that it takes to dupe awaken the heartbreakers makes it way more appealing to use a TAMADRA on them instead.

B. Don't feed dupes to anything that has a split ultimate evolution path or is likely to receive one in the future
No sense in fusing a second Neptune to your first for one awakening when you'll get much more value out of having both busties in your pocket. Of course, if you get three or more from having terrible great luck at the REM then go right ahead and feed the extra one for the awakening.

---

Awakening priority can be divided into six broad categories, in descending order of importance. While there's never a definitive answer to the exact order you should awaken the myriad monsters in your box (which by now is something you should expect out of this game), these guidelines should help you determine a short list of monsters that you should be considering first.

0). Awakenings that enable team compositions that would be impossible without them
Of course, there's always an exception to the rules. There are very certain combinations of subs and awakenings that result in a team that would do little to nothing otherwise. So far, there are only two known awakenings that allow you to create such teams:
537044_701048353257093_46565933_a.png
1380151_701047869923808_579899853_a.png

Thus far, the dungeons that these awakenings make possible are very niche cases, and you should only consider going down this path if you have the burning need to do so.

Example 1: 2Grods1Cup
KdoqlOY.png
KdoqlOY.png

The original PAD couple, Odin and Amaterasu, relied on Ammy easily autohealing back to full after taking reduced damage due to Robe of Protection. But with the Auto-Recover awakening, you can run both leaders as Odin, take only 4% damage from all Normal attacks, and significantly reduce the risk of being unable to heal back to full afterwards.

Example 2: Guerilla Dragon Speed Clear
CHIz0Cs.png

If every Ogre is max skilled and awakened, X Strike for every ogre will activate the turn you enter the dungeon. The active does just enough damage that every metal dragon, even Kings, go down to a single Strike. With this team you can clear the dungeon without even having to move an orb.

Example 3: Challenge Mode Zaerog Clear
0WzgWji.png

The lack of a friend leader imposes unique restrictions on teams that can reliably clear Challenge Mode dungeons. Zaerog, already a pain in the ass to clear regularly, requires truly bizarre teams to complete in Challenge Mode. The skill boosts give you just enough time to delay and use The Third Eye to clear the first couple of floors, then Tengu can be swapped in on the final floor to zombie through Zaerog's attacks.

Now, onto the criteria that will impact most players.

1) Awakenings that significantly raise the probability of success in an endgame dungeon
1375132_701048289923766_1081105795_a.png
537044_701048353257093_46565933_a.png
1380149_701048379923757_930074257_a.png
1380515_701048426590419_1855446843_a.png
1383254_701048456590416_160639686_a.png
1383198_701048499923745_629076268_a.png
1385949_701048536590408_570805373_a.png

These awakenings are the ones to look out for: Extend Time gives a whopping stackable +0.5 seconds to arrange the board, which on the omnipresent combo/color-matters spike teams equates to an eternity. Skill Boost is super important in Descended dungeons where that extra turn of skill activation can make or break a run, while the stackable 10% damage boost from Enhanced Att. can translate into big damage on burst teams.

Examples:
XNsUSaI.png
MEJfjxS.png
zQsdOCd.png

2) Awakenings that slightly raise the probability of success in an endgame dungeon
1379233_701047663257162_1196616305_a.png
1380571_701047683257160_1909029628_a.png
1383941_701047706590491_262600397_a.png
1378694_701048006590461_1801383517_a.png
1377077_701048063257122_289923647_a.png
996852_701048116590450_141286257_a.png
553770_701048199923775_1978943192_a.png
1384043_701048236590438_1488233823_a.png
541874_701048573257071_1513661519_a.png

Unlike the above awakenings, these ones only contribute slightly to your overall damage output and stat total, or facilitate the time and effort taken to clear the dungeon by a small amount. Still, every little bit helps. The Enhanced Orbs cycle of awakenings are always a favorite because they have a literally blindingly obvious effect on your board, but don't work with orb changers unfortunately. Also note that Two-Pronged Attack, depending on your luck, may actually make it more difficult to stall on a floor.

Examples:
DCdHdxz.png
4TZmaEx.png

3) Monsters with many awakenings
The assumption with these monsters is that their sheer number of awakenings gives you a large toolbox of passive skills to work with. This isn't necessarily true in practice, as the quality of the awakenings on these monsters is much more important than the quantity. L.Metatron may have five awakenings, but only 1-3 of them are considered to greatly add value to your team. Likewise, the upcoming Fruit Dragons, who apparently have NINE awakenings apiece, might end up being magnets for suckers if they have poor awakenings.

Examples:
MPblJmc.png

4) Awakenings that often lower the probability of failure in an endgame dungeon
1380151_701047869923808_579899853_a.png
1377140_701047886590473_456259808_a.png
1381947_701047919923803_453790658_a.png
1385853_701047956590466_744659076_a.png
537059_701047983257130_975139049_a.png

The status resist awakenings may not do anything on their own, but when they do activate can at worst act like a free turn and at best save your run from disaster. Auto-recover, especially when stacked, works great with resist teams.

5) Awakenings that seldom lower the probability of failure in an endgame dungeon
1374810_701047733257155_1814878714_a.png
541844_701047756590486_2130675483_a.png
1382110_701047799923815_986485540_a.png
1380361_701047823257146_2066800247_a.png
1383517_701047849923810_781914979_a.png
555457_701048323257096_1029011576_a.png

The rest of them. The middling resist awakenings have such little effect that you have to stack many of them along with resist leader to have any appreciable effect, and only work against a single element. Bind recovery is only useful if the monster itself also has bind resist (the only two monsters so far with both are Amaterasu and L.Metatron), and depending on mob AI (hellooooo Twinlits Descended) can actually screw over your run.

6) Your most used, completely maxed out monsters
Even though Horus' awakenings are complete garbage, your +297 SLMAX (*) Horus will absolutely get picked by friends over somebody else's +297 SLMAX (1) one if only for the remote possibility that those extra two awakenings will save their asses in the most farfetched of situations. Basically, spending an awakening on these monsters is only so you can outrace the rat pack in PAL point accumulation. This is the lowest on the priority list because of how trivial the benefit is.

Example:
XfWUtlj.png

razterik

Nice post! One quibble - I would split point 4 into two different categories. The damage reductions are generally trash and bind recover seems useless since I think the awoken monster itself has to be unbound for the skill to activate. But auto recover is great on resist teams and in no heart dungeons. The resistance-_____ skills are fantastic and can make some boss skills into a free turn.

Great write-up Cosmo and I agree with Rasterik about resist (dark, poison, bind, etc). I'm always way happier when I resist a screen blackout than having a bunch of random +orbs on the board. We all know how powerful delays are, and when you resist one of these attacks, it's like getting a free turn. Also, you can get the same effect as +orbs from matching extra orbs or making extra combos. But you can't replicate resisting binds or blackouts.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
5). Your most used, completely maxed out monsters
XfWUtlj.png

Even though Horus' awakenings are complete garbage, your +297 SLMAX (*) Horus will absolutely get picked by friends over somebody else's +297 SLMAX (1) one if only for the remote possibility that those extra two awakenings will save their asses in the most farfetched of situations. Basically, this is only to outrace the rat pack in PAL point accumulation. This is the lowest on the priority list because of how trivial the benefit is.

I like your write up (and will be linking to it), but this paragraph is wrong. SLVL refers to skill; ALVL refers to awakening. Outside if that, this guide is excellent.

I like your write up (and will be linking to it), but this paragraph is wrong. SLVL refers to skill; ALVL refers to awakening. Outside if that, this guide is excellent.
I think it means that all else being maxed out, including skill level, the (Max) awakening will beat out the (1) awakening.

Are the toy dragons really that useful?

For some stupid OCD reason, after the PAL machine (I thinik?) shat out two Farilios in a row, I resolved to max awaken my Angelion.

Long story short, I'm sitting on a Sacred Dragon Beast, Angelion max Awaken.

Is it useful, or basically just a trophy? She is only skill level 2, despite leveling to 47! on a steady diet of big shynees. It doesn't seem like the toy dragons end up with all that great of stats, even at max level. Right now she sits on an all dragon grind team just to boost its RCV a bit.

linsivvi

For some stupid OCD reason, after the PAL machine (I thinik?) shat out two Farilios in a row, I resolved to max awaken my Angelion.

Is it useful, or basically just a trophy? She is only skill level 2, despite leveling to 47! on a steady diet of big shynees. It doesn't seem like the toy dragons end up with all that great of stats, even at max level. Right now she sits on an all dragon grind team just to boost its RCV a bit.

They can be used as healers in mono teams, or double resist leaders against specific dungeons. Drawn Joker is especially useful since mono dark teams are so prominent.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Angelion is awesome on a healer team. Max skill Angelion is sick good paired with Valk/Valk combo. The fact that nothing is weak to light/dark is what makes those two teams all sorts of broken.

DJ is good because of his devil type. Works amazing on a Asty or any dark team. His active makes him fit especially well on dark/devil teams. He's OK for an Ur team, especially if you need to stall.

Also, all of the busty toys have really awesome art.

E: I tend to forget about Megalodran, Drall, and Fortoytops. They're great, but only if you run balance/attack/physical teams often.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh finally cleared that mystic fire dragon on legend, somehow I kept getting orb trolled, either blowing through the 6th floor with cascades and still being bound on the boss level, or not getting enough heart orbs after the boss's -99% hp pre emptive

just gotta do one more for the stone now

Remember to get enough to fully awaken him!

Thanks for your suggestions. Added another tier for the status resist awakenings, fixed up some typos, and added a few target monsters.

News time:
- Next event in the US appears to start on Thursday. Hope you can last until then holding all those Pierdra in your box...
- The PADZ collab dungeon in Japan is yet another conditional dungeon, this time restricting team composition to 5* or lower. Well fuck.

Updated the OP a little bit. Thanks again Cosmo!

E: Well then...
Wow. That's a near perfect run, if only the third drop was a +egg or Pierdra.

The Toy Dragons are great! I know people used to hate getting them, but they're way better than the ripper Dragons that we all used to like before when we first started. They're very versatile, especially if you're able to skill them up. Dual elements, dual resists, dual types, and Heart makers.

linsivvi

Thanks for your suggestions. Added another tier for the status resist awakenings, fixed up some typos, and added a few target monsters.

News time:
- Next event in the US appears to start on Thursday. Hope you can last until then holding all those Pierdra in your box...
- The PADZ collab dungeon in Japan is yet another conditional dungeon, this time restricting team composition to 5* or lower. Well fuck.

Yeah I was looking at that. Don't have the dungeon details but at least all the batman mobs are 5 stars only. All heartbreakers pre-busty are 5 stars too. Don't seem to be as bad as cost 10 or less.

Edit: I am keeping a bunch of dark mobs at low cost for future cost restricted dungeons, hope this will pay off.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can't even remember the last time I've used a ripper dragon, but they were very useful when I first started.

I can't convince myself to feed them off just yet. They have a few +eggs on them, too. But "back in the day", ADK + rippers was the shit.

I can't convince myself to feed them off just yet. They have a few +eggs on them, too. But "back in the day", ADK + rippers was the shit.

yup and and the top of that "old" pad where adk+dragon shined was "less competitive" in a way...
basically you needed just lvl 30-40ish ripper to be good..
nowdays try tackling a serious descended with a team in the 40~ range and major laugh will ensue...

They are going to get ultimates eventually, wouldn't they?

That might make them useful once again.
ultimate != big buff..
they were useful for their early growth and for their synergy... nowdays a 9x team is nothing too extreme as a team.... spike team can go much higher.. and tank team will take more time, but given how the playbase has aged, hera, and other basic descended are in the hands of most even non iap players :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They are going to get ultimates eventually, wouldn't they?

That might make them useful once again.

It would be nice, but who knows. Dragons are such a weird type. There are SO many of them, so I feel like just about any dragon will suffice. The Dragon Rush busties are apparently pretty decent, but I have too many other monsters to raise before I dump XP into them.

yup and and the top of that "old" pad where adk+dragon shined was "less competitive" in a way...
basically you needed just lvl 30-40ish ripper to be good..
nowdays try tackling a serious descended with a team in the 40~ range and major laugh will ensue...

Yeah, Zeus was the "hard" dungeon before. Most people cheesed it to get a Zeus and build a Zeus team to tackle more Zeus. It was a Zeus party!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
astaroth team.. which one?

You're playing with a weird hand when it comes to standard Asty teams.

Leaders: Asty is an obvious choice due to the 4/1/4 devil tank team. Luci is good, but you DO lose the bonuses associated with Asty leader skill.

Subs:

1 and 2) You need Hera-Is and another gravity. I would pick based off of the dungeon. Another Hera-Is is always welcome, but D/L Hades, D/D Hades, or Hera work fine, too.

3) This would either be another counter or Luci. Again, you don't benefit from the devil type, but MS is just too good to pass up in most cases. Remember to check the impact of putting Asty/Asty + Luci versus Asty/Luci + ???. I say that because the difference can be upwards of 10k HP and 2-3k RCV. That's big when you're building a tank team.

4) This is your utility slot. DJ, Ceres, counter, another gravity, attacker, etc. Fill it with what works for the dungeon.

Having counter options is always nice, since that's what the theme of an Asty team really is. Baal, Amon, Belial, and devil Luci are all great options. I want SO badly to get all the counter demons so I can build more exciting counter teams. Asty counter in a fire dungeon is lame. Thankfully, Amon fits the bill, haha.

News time:

5* or Lower?

depending on the Mobs,

Red team: 5* Freyr lead, Echidna, Red Giant Gigas, Chiyome 5*, 5* Shiva, Pair with something Red and 5*

Blue Team: Blue Noel lead, Midgard, Siren, blue/Red Ogre and 4* Fenrir Knight

Old School Valk Team: Great Valk Lead, Siren, Echidna, Lilith, Alraune

Light Team: 5* Archangel Raphael Lead, Izanagi 5*, Take 5*, Thor 5* (might sub for Lead), and either great Valk or Ammy

God Team: Izanagi 5* Lead, Shiva 5*, Susano 5*, Susano 5*, Raphael 5*

So options are there from my box, mainly because I don't Pendra farm...

You're playing with a weird hand when it comes to standard Asty teams.

Leaders: Asty is an obvious choice due to the 4/1/4 devil tank team. Luci is good, but you DO lose the bonuses associated with Asty leader skill.

Subs:

1 and 2) You need Hera-Is and another gravity. I would pick based off of the dungeon. Another Hera-Is is always welcome, but D/L Hades, D/D Hades, or Hera work fine, too.

3) This would either be another counter or Luci. Again, you don't benefit from the devil type, but MS is just too good to pass up in most cases. Remember to check the impact of putting Asty/Asty + Luci versus Asty/Luci + ???. I say that because the difference can be upwards of 10k HP and 2-3k RCV. That's big when you're building a tank team.

4) This is your utility slot. DJ, Ceres, counter, another gravity, attacker, etc. Fill it with what works for the dungeon.

Having counter options is always nice, since that's what the theme of an Asty team really is. Baal, Amon, Belial, and devil Luci are all great options. I want SO badly to get all the counter demons so I can build more exciting counter teams. Asty counter in a fire dungeon is lame. Thankfully, Amon fits the bill, haha.
honestly if i have to fit a luci in the team, BEST slot by far to minimize the loss is luci friend lead..
because he gets his passive and give 2hp2rcv to every light/dark (every devil has subelement dark), while he will just loose asta passive (for he isn't a devil himself)..
placing him IN the team, will make he loose BOTH lead passive....
so if i have to fit a luci, i'd put him into lead slot for sure :p

i'd love to put a "proper" counter, but i just have asty as counter demon..
hopefully we'll get an archdevil, archangel for christmas event :p
i want dem lucifer angel, all archdevil, and possibly raphael (due to the fact that archangel are next candidate for busty, a subtype of healer for raphael would turn him into the goemon for healer team, with full board transition to heart-->valk active heart to light.. BOOM!)
I've stashed a considerably sexy box..
I'd love a byakko at this point, but i have plenty of spike lead (horus, ra, kirin, okonimushi, etc) and plenty of 9x lead (valk, balanced, etc)... so it's just a vanity object and an optimal lead for some descended, but i have plenty of other option as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
honestly if i have to fit a luci in the team, BEST slot by far to minimize the loss is luci friend lead..
because he gets his passive and give 2hp2rcv to every light/dark (every devil has subelement dark), while he will just loose asta passive (for he isn't a devil himself)..
placing him IN the team, will make he loose BOTH lead passive....
so if i have to fit a luci, i'd put him into lead slot for sure :p

This is a good point (and typically why I don't sub Luci for my Asty teams).

And regarding Haku, she's grown on me. I run the daily 1.5x dungeons with my Haku team almost exclusively now. Haku/Haku + Echidna/Orochi/Is/Hera is my common setup. I'll play with it a bit as need be (Ur instead of Orochi, Sieg instead of Hera), but whatever I run, she seems to just be so strong. I love it.

muu

ugh, almost no drawn joker drops during 2x, now I got a stack of 10 or so after 2 days' worth of farming.

Top Bottom