• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

Honestly this is the fairest tournament system I've ever seen in a F2P game.

1. Most other games I've seen are cumulative score not best score. So whale just iap their way into the top spot by repeating the dungeon over and over.

2. The ranking is percentage not number. So if the game is popular and have millions of players, you can still get a good rank.

3. As long as you're in the top 50 percent you get a good prize.

The only bad thing about this ranking dungeon is you only get 5 minutes which is ridicules. The game moves so slowly and combos take so long that you barely have anything to plan or stall.

Also I wonder how the rankings get done. Is it going to be everyone who tried the dungeon or everyone whose completed the dungeon or everyone whose completed the dungeon with a score. Cause if its the later then take everything I said earlier about it being fair and throw it out the window. Depending on the difficulty and length of the Dungeon (Especially if its Zeus Vulcan Descend as the name implies with 10 levels) then the amount of people that will actually get a score will be extremely low.
It's not the Descended proper, it's a 50 stam / 7 floor dungeon called "Zeus Vulcan Cup Beta".

Also having a short timer makes things interesting imo. Think about how people don't use combo-heavy teams for speed farming due to how slow it takes to count combos. Gives high damage efficiency teams an advantage over ANUBIS.

The issue isn't that whales will have an advantage. That's always been the case in this game. My problem is that with this system, that advantage now gives them an edge in a competition, which will result in non/light spenders missing out on rewards.

And I know that skill plays a big part in this system, but the big spenders will inevitably have overall better monsters, more +eggs, and more skillups. That is definitely enough to keep some people who may deserve it more skillwise out of the top percentile.

razterik

Also I wonder how the rankings get done. Is it going to be everyone who tried the dungeon or everyone whose completed the dungeon or everyone whose completed the dungeon with a score. Cause if its the later then take everything I said earlier about it being fair and throw it out the window. Depending on the difficulty and length of the Dungeon (Especially if its Zeus Vulcan Descend as the name implies with 10 levels) then the amount of people that will actually get a score will be extremely low.

I'd be surprised if it was anything but the last one. GungHo isn't generous with this stuff.

Forgot to mention one other issue I have with this system. It strongly favors those that follow the top meta, either by luck or money. Right now you can beat most dungeons with whatever team strikes your fancy. Some take more effort or stones than others, but it's possible to dedicate your time to non-meta choices. Ranking this way throws that out the window. If you don't like to use Ra, Bastet, Anubis, or some top 36x team, too bad. If you prefer safe grind crews, themed teams like healers, or heaven-help-you Lucifer clears, haha, good luck placing respectably. The bandwagon jumping is bad enough already, I don't want it to get worse.

A point threshold based system like the S rank system currently used would solve most of my complaints. Let the community cooperate to figure out ways to succeed instead of pitting us against each other.

I would like to be wrong about all this and hope it turns out fun. But my faith in GungHo's ability to introduce new mechanics is really low lately.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The issue isn't that whales will have an advantage. That's always been the case in this game. My problem is that with this system, that advantage now gives them an edge in a competition, which will result in non/light spenders missing out on rewards.

And I know that skill plays a big part in this system, but the big spenders will inevitably have overall better monsters, more +eggs, and more skillups. That is definitely enough to keep some people who may deserve it more skillwise out of the top percentile.

I read the first paragraph 3 times now...but i just dont quite understand it. First you say that whales having an advantage isnt the issue...only to say that that whales having an advantage in this competition is an issue.

If we assume that the skill level is the same...the Ultra Whale will still have an edge as long as you can use your own teams and have to spend stamina to attempt the challenge. We might give it a couple shots and be done with it while skilled Whales who have mastered Anubis might attempt the challenge +100 just to perfect the score and have RNG luck on the board setup.

Whale will always have the advantage and to be fair, considering how much they time and money they spend on the game its justified. The Top Rewards will likely still be reserved for skilled players who happens to spend a lot on the game.

I'd be surprised if it was anything but the last one. GungHo isn't generous with this stuff.

Forgot to mention one other issue I have with this system. It strongly favors those that follow the top meta, either by luck or money. Right now you can beat most dungeons with whatever team strikes your fancy. Some take more effort or stones than others, but it's possible to dedicate your time to non-meta choices. Ranking this way throws that out the window. If you don't like to use Ra, Bastet, Anubis, or some top 36x team, too bad. If you've prefer on safe grind crews, themed teams like healers, or heaven-help-you Lucifer clears, haha, good luck placing respectably. The bandwagon jumping is bad enough already, I don't want it to get worse.

A point threshold based system like the S rank system currently used would solve most of my complaints. Let the community cooperate to figure out ways to succeed instead of pitting us against each other.

I would like to be wrong about all this and hope it turns out fun. But my faith in GungHo's ability to introduce new mechanics is really low lately.

Thats not much different then having to use Ra, Bastet and other Top Leads to clear the most difficult content right now...even if its possible with other leads and teams. There is a reason why these leaders are as possible. Following the Meta is more or less what this game is about if you wanna be able to clear anything the moment the content is cleared.

razterik

Outside restricted dungeons (which are generally bad design), I could clear anything in the game with nearly any team I want, given enough effort, skill, and stones. Obviously there are better teams to use than others for certain content, but it is my choice what I enjoy using. Competitive ranking removes that choice since only a handful of teams are viable enough to earn top prizes.

Kyuur

I'm on the flip side, I wish there were more restricted dungeons. I'm actually a bit sad they'll be changing the 'No * / All *' technicals to board size dungeons as I thought that was a really cool idea, even though I don't have any teams to beat them yet. Team building with limited cards in arguably the most fun thing in this game for me, part of the reason I'm non-IAP.

I read the first paragraph 3 times now...but i just dont quite understand it. First you say that whales having an advantage isnt the issue...only to say that that whales having an advantage in this competition is an issue.

If we assume that the skill level is the same...the Ultra Whale will still have an edge as long as you can use your own teams and have to spend stamina to attempt the challenge. We might give it a couple shots and be done with it while skilled Whales who have mastered Anubis might attempt the challenge +100 just to perfect the score and have RNG luck on the board setup.

Whale will always have the advantage and to be fair, considering how much they time and money they spend on the game its justified. The Top Rewards will likely still be reserved for skilled players who happens to spend a lot on the game.
Currently, whatever a whale achieves has no impact on my gameplay/rewards/enjoyment because it's not a zero sum game. This ranking system could very well change that.

cw_sasuke

Outside restricted dungeons (which are generally bad design), I could clear anything in the game with nearly any team I want, given enough effort, skill, and stones. Obviously there are better teams to use than others for certain content, but it is my choice what I enjoy using. Competitive ranking removes that choice since only a handful of teams are viable enough to earn top prizes.
You still can use whatever team you are comfortable using or whatever team you are invested in. We don't even know what kind of challenges they will come up with. Wouldn't be surprised if they come up with events where other teams outside of the current top meta teams can shine. Actually this would be a great situation to encourage more different teams and strategies outside of the standard descends and challenges.

Well let's see how it works out first.. They can optimize and adapt it down the line that's why I'm not too worried.

Currently, whatever a whale achieves has no impact on my gameplay/rewards/enjoyment because it's not a zero sum game. This ranking system could very well change that.
Would it be different if whales were excluded? This is a competition based ranking system and even without whales it would be very difficult to get a top rank.

I see this as a nice addition and not as something replacing rewards I would have gotten anyway.

While whale will benefit mist of it like with most other changes (MP shop), average players will also have a shot at getting additional rewards.

Ducarmel

Just curious how would you define the rules for competitive pad ranking system?

Lets be clear this is a competitive ranking system, different from the S rank system which by design tries to be neutral on team composition.

At its most purest form of the game I can only see combo and speed as an indicator of skill in the game. I imagine almost 99% of use would agree the better players are ones that can get high combo count or match as many colors the fastest.

Without seeing the descend its hard to say whether its unfair for players that don't have leads like Bastet, Ra, etc.

Assuming the dungeon is fair enough for lets say mid game to late game capable leaders the fact still remains combos and speed are the only measures that seem to matter when it comes to pad skills.

It seems like you want a way to handicap lets say Anubis and Ra players, if I bust my ass to be good with Ra or Anubis why should I be penalized because somebody who wants to beat the game with Valk or somebody who cant combo to save their lives want to tank through the dungeon.

razterik

I wouldn't make a competitive system for a cooperative game to begin with. But if you want an example of a fair system, GungHo helpfully provides one already in the PAD Challenge app. A base team is provided for every player regardless of rank or money. And it doesn't require stamina to play. Competing based on skill and luck makes way more sense to me than on how much money you've spent.

And yes, I can still run whatever teams I want. But that's the same choice as not attempting to earn the reward at all when the ranking criteria favor certain teams.

Would it be different if whales were excluded? This is a competition based ranking system and even without whales it would be very difficult to get a top rank.

I see this as a nice addition and not as something replacing rewards I would have gotten anyway.

While whale will benefit mist of it like with most other changes (MP shop), average players will also have a shot at getting additional rewards.
Well, yeah, grouping everybody with the whales in a competitive environment is the issue :lol. But then again, how many people qualify as whales? Top 5%? Top 2%? I'm guessing the majority of the userbase is light IAP or lower, with 95% of the players not coming close to the true whales.

But I'm not concerned until the top x% of players on leaderboard get exclusive prizes. Right now it sounds like it's just another way to get Piis.

Nohar

Well... Legendary Dragons' Footprints completed. Sky Dragons' Domain completed. Divine Queen's Sleepless Castle completed (and Hera get!... Had to use one stone though. Shame on me). Two Heroes completed (Berserk dropped).

Didn't expect to actually manage to complete those ones, especially with my Urd team. Oh well, I guess I'm not that bad and/or that I got lucky. And, well, it was Normal dungeons, not sure I can be that proud. Also managed to drop a Siren and a Mystic Ice Knight on the way.

Ducarmel

Yaah they are normal dungeons for a reason in the early days when hera and two heroes were a descends that made newbies cry it used to be considered a good deal to spend 5 stones trying to get your first Hera.

I wouldn't make a competitive system for a cooperative game to begin with. But if you want an example of a fair system, GungHo helpfully provides one already in the PAD Challenge app. A base team is provided for every player regardless of rank or money. And it doesn't require stamina to play. Competing based on skill and luck makes way more sense to me than on how much money you've spent.

And yes, I can still run whatever teams I want. But that's the same choice as not attempting to earn the reward at all when the ranking criteria favor certain teams.

So pretty much everybody has to have the same team is what you are suggesting, I guess that is one way to do it. I guess i cant argue against that but, but it would not be pad in its current form.

Spoit

I suppose I should use this BFF before the reset. Anyone run a hyper ronia and have like, yamoto, horus, or a 297 athena for their 2nd/active slots?

Negator

So I thought that now that I have a 100% Skill Bind resist team that I could go up to the mask daily and it'll be a piece of cake.

The masks punished me for my hubris and I didn't get a single mask today because I always killed the blue mask accidentally. Entire day of stamina wasted. Blarg.

Jagernaut

So I thought that now that I have a 100% Skill Bind resist team that I could go up to the mask daily and it'll be a piece of cake.

The masks punished me for my hubris and I didn't get a single mask today because I always killed the blue mask accidentally. Entire day of stamina wasted. Blarg.

What team were you using? You should hit the green mask until he is almost dead (he has such a high defense that most attacks only do 1 damage) and then kill the blue mask. Then you get a free turn while the green mask powers up and kill him. You could also bring someone with an attack that ignores defense like Ra/Bane/Sphinx/UFO/Darkseid.

Kyuur

I feel your pain. I still haven't cleared because every single time I accidentally combo into huge TPA damage with my Verdandi team and wreck the blue. :(

Negator

What team were you using? You should hit the green mask until he is almost dead (he has such a high defense that most attacks only do 1 damage) and then kill the blue mask. Then you get a free turn while the green mask powers up and kill him. You could also bring someone with an attack that ignores defense like Ra/Bane/Sphinx/UFO/Darkseid.

A bunch of my SBR units also happen to have TPAs, so an active that fills the board with one particular orb or an unlucky skyfall just ruins everything and blue mask dies.

Jagernaut

In the new version 8.2 you can actually see the damage dealt clearly. Finally.

From puzzleanddragonsforum :

N3S6vmi.png

Jagernaut

I felt good when I finally beat Cauchemar mythical after 3 failures due to orb trolling so I pulled the summer rem and got a chibi Valk! Too bad poring tower is not here. Once I max skill her I'll feed my +125 Valk to her. I love those 3 two prongs and she will get God type with her ultimate evo.

coy

Oh good, no more guessing how much damage a combo will do. Plus, I can never see the full damage amount of my leader. I like this change a lot! Also, that screenshot damage haha.

0/4 jewel invades. I was feeling lucky after yesterday's action but did not get her to appear. I have a 2nd Mei Mei that I plan to awaken, but I may use it on GValk beforehand.

jay23

New updates look great, looking forward to the JP stream feels like there hasn't been one in a while.

Cleared cauchemar today and noticed I only have 3 mythical descended left to clear(not counting conditional). I went from only being able to complete legend to clearing a bunch of mythical content pretty quickly.

razterik

I felt good when I finally beat Cauchemar mythical after 3 failures due to orb trolling so I pulled the summer rem and got a chibi Valk! Too bad poring tower is not here. Once I max skill her I'll feed my +125 Valk to her. I love those 3 two prongs and she will get God type with her ultimate evo.

Normal Valk is getting a +100 ATK boost and triple typing adding attacker type if that matters to you.

Valkyrie descend is Saturday, which is probably better than Poring if you only want one skill up. And it has red jewel invades.

Finally beat my nemesis Yamato Rush to finish the current JP Descend Challenge. Time to move on to farming plus eggs from coin Sowilo.

Cosmo, can you switch your BF slot to Minerva for the remainder of the event? I can clear it faster with A.Shiva, but it gets kind of hard to six combo late in the day when I'm working twelve hour shifts.

cw_sasuke

TAMADRA Retreat tomorrow - i really could need some of them to Awaken Wee Jas.
Havent run the stage in months because it always up at the worst time for me.

In the new version 8.2 you can actually see the damage dealt clearly. Finally.

From puzzleanddragonsforum :

Kinda crazy how long it took them to implement something that should have been there ages ago - guess they were to busy counting that money.

In related news...brought in GZL for a fun run on my Bastet team...lol. Liu Bei alone hitting for 10 million. It will be easier to read of the dmg once we get this update.

gzl_dmg_boostnvbr2.jpg

New updates look great, looking forward to the JP stream feels like there hasn't been one in a while.

Cleared cauchemar today and noticed I only have 3 mythical descended left to clear(not counting conditional). I went from only being able to complete legend to clearing a bunch of mythical content pretty quickly.

Congrats, which 3 are left for you ?

also your post made me realize that i have also cleared all regular Mythical Descended. Kinda crazy didnt even think about it until i looked it up.

Beginning of the year i was so happy that i cleared Legend Valkyre with my U&Y squad - good old days.

NineH

When I pulled the summer REM and got chibi valk, I initially felt bad since I thought it was a troll gold. Thinking about it though, she is superior to the regular Valkyrie so I guess that pull wasn't too bad.

Jagernaut

Normal Valk is getting a +100 ATK boost and triple typing adding attacker type if that matters to you.

Valkyrie descend is Saturday, which is probably better than Poring if you only want one skill up. And it has red jewel invades.

Finally beat my nemesis Yamato Rush to finish the current JP Descend Challenge. Time to move on to farming plus eggs from coin Sowilo.

Cosmo, can you switch your BF slot to Minerva for the remainder of the event? I can clear it faster with A.Shiva, but it gets kind of hard to six combo late in the day when I'm working twelve hour shifts.

I forgot about the new attacker typing but I have a max skilled 2nd Valk if I need it. Valkyrie Descended is 50 stamina a pop, nothing beats Poring Tower expert on 2x drop but it may be a long time before it comes back. Was Poring Tower ever in coin dungeons in Japan?

Okamid3n

So my only good teams are fire-teams, and I obviously couldn't bring a fire team to the pad island...right?

But my green team is awful (underdevelopped GZL team) so I tried blue teams and failed multiple times.

I gave up, decided to try my Shiva team anyway and cleared the dungeon first try. This isn't the first time this happens, I decide not to bring Shiva in because of an abundance of water enemies, only to finally give up and use Shiva to clear the dungeon.

I wish I had a top tier non-red leader.

Quantum

- the game is more luck based than skill based.
- Whales will always have an advantage (regardless of dungeon)
- skilled non-iap players will rank, skyfall and team builds are important.
- smarter team builds will do better than poor builds, but this is always based on REM luck.
- REM "luck" dependant on number of pulls.

- this is a pure case of stoichiometry versus determinism.

- everything in this game is designed to soak stones, todays impossible dungeon will become a farming dungeon as the meta changes. The meta will change depending on what drives the most stones to be spent.

edit: late post I guess - was in reference to the new competitive challenge dungeons.

Noaloha

I've spent every single drop of stamina on this event's Gift of the Holy Beasts since it opened, quite literally. I reeeally should have seen at least one red spawn by now. I'm sort of at the laughing maniacally phase at this point.

J0dy77

- the game is more luck based than skill based.
- Whales will always have an advantage (regardless of dungeon)
- skilled non-iap players will rank, skyfall and team builds are important.
- smarter team builds will do better than poor builds, but this is always based on REM luck.
- REM "luck" dependant on number of pulls.

- this is a pure case of stoichiometry versus determinism.

- everything in this game is designed to soak stones, todays impossible dungeon will become a farming dungeon as the meta changes. The meta will change depending on what drives the most stones to be spent.

edit: late post I guess - was in reference to the new competitive challenge dungeons.

The reason why PAD has done so well is because of the game balance they have with the Meta. I completely agree with Quantum's post but it's worth noting that the game isn't completely Pay 2 win. I've spent next to nothing on the game, some support money early on and have been very capable of clearing all but the very highest level of content. But as the meta shifts and my old cards get better I can start to clear that later content when it comes around again.

The thing that Gungho is great at is making content always seems challenging but never completely out of my reach. At some point I know I'll be able to clear content. As it stands today I can clear everything but Floor 10 on descendeds and may be able to complete those shortly.

Ducarmel

I gave up, decided to try my Shiva team anyway and cleared the dungeon first try. This isn't the first time this happens, I decide not to bring Shiva in because of an abundance of water enemies, only to finally give up and use Shiva to clear the dungeon.

I'm in the same boat my Bastet team sucks compared to my Shiva team. I quickly stopped doubting my Shiva team, so far i have beaten every mythical i tried with him that does not restrict awakenings, team cost, rarity, red orbs, etc.

I've spent every single drop of stamina on this event's Gift of the Holy Beasts since it opened, quite literally. I reeeally should have seen at least one red spawn by now. I'm sort of at the laughing maniacally phase at this point.

Red jewel will invade goddess descend in 2 days, compared to a lot of the current descends she is pretty easy surprised she has not been demoted to normal or technical dungeon status. Maybe take a break from gift dungeon and try your luck on getting the Leilan invade there.

cw_sasuke

Ouch that sucks...which rank are you at ? I only did this once and ever since i just get whatever drops first on Gift dungeons. Its not just worth spending 50 stamina per run on a 20% chance to get the Jewel you want.

As Ducarmel said, farming Valk for it might be better for you.

Rixa

Red jewel will invade goddess descend in 2 days, compared to a lot of the current descends she is pretty easy surprised she has not been demoted to normal or technical dungeon status. Maybe take a break from gift dungeon and try your luck on getting the Leilan invade there.

As Ducarmel said, farming Valk for it might be better for you.

What is the name of this dungeon, I need to check info from padx about it and ofc:
So should I consider trying to tackle this dungeon?

jay23

Congrats, which 3 are left for you ?

also your post made me realize that i have also cleared all regular Mythical Descended. Kinda crazy didnt even think about it until i looked it up.

Beginning of the year i was so happy that i cleared Legend Valkyre with my U&Y squad - good old days.

Zeus mercury, Diagoldos, and Hera sowilo

I've only tried Zeus mercury the other 2 I can most likely clear the next time they're around. It feels good finally being able to clear "end game" content.

Noaloha

Rank 206 or something? I have 122 max stamina, so when I empty it before bed, it's not quite full when I wake up and try again. I'll treat Goddess invade as a back-up maybe. I think Gift dungeon ends around then-ish. Invade rate for Leilan isn't better than 20% right?

The orb isn't for anything super urgent, I just want to get it as the last mat I need to be ready for whenever Awoken Leilan gets added to NA. At this point I'll stubbornly persist with Gift dungeon and then maybe have a funny story to tell the grandkids several decades from now. "Did I ever tell you kids about the time I wanted a red orb from a Puzzle & Dragons dungeon? Gather round..."

Hypermax #3 completed (#2 if you consider me deliberately leaving -30 off of D.Kali due to uneven drop rate of +atk eggs)

What latent awakenings are people sticking on their monsters? I see some putting stat up tamas on their endgame leaders and I'm wondering how big a difference it makes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When is the best friend reset?

Haven't even used mine, dunno who I should use.
probably will just choose Cosmo

cw_sasuke

Maintenance starts in 11 hours... So you probably wanna BFF before that.

Quantum

I am getting solicitations to pick players for super best friend in game. like sales pitches or robocalling - its really freaking weird.

also whats the normal number of best friends?

I think I have like 3-4 percent (10 BF currently)

- as I mentioned before I'm probably going to pick something I rarely use but would like to have for random farming, the pal points are nice but I'd rather have a neat unique leader. (of course someone who plays every day)

Ducarmel

Having more then 2 is above normal, since the fairest way to use it is a close loop with 3 or more people that guarantees you 2, That means 8 people were willing to be friends with you knowing they probably wont get a second bf.

I use your Shiva all the time, who do you have on you bf slot? You plan to stick with Urd, I have two but meh she is as boring as Ronia imo, and I'm planing to move away from non combo, color match leaders.

I think my current bff's might get annoyed with me I probably will still rotate Bastet and Shiva around but Z8 and Awoken Anubis is calling to me.

Quantum

I haven't decided.

Shiva will remain a staple for awhile.

I might end up with shiva/ra in the first and second slots and keep who ever I'm using currently (current team lead as something different)

I was pretty quick to max skill/level/plus urd so I have it up most of the time until most of my friends are able to rotate to shiva (which I see a lot doing)

I'm always messing with different leaders so I'm not suggesting anyone actually selects me as a BFF, I'm just amazed when it happens. Personally I selected someone who has moved on to three different leads and I couldn't be happier (one of the leads is zouh which I recently pulled and is a lot of fun to play)

While I understand completing a triangle so that you have a constant farm lead, it makes less sense picking a BF that is running the same thing that 40 other of your friends are using.

I am having fun with bikinitron and might pick someone who plays daily with that available.

as the meta has changed so has my friends list. I used to have 25-30 blonia users - now I have 5.

oddly I haven't finished my verdandi team yet (although working on it still) and haven't used it yet and I have 20 or so verdandis - I'm assuming that its an alternate lead for a lot of players.

Hypermax #3 completed (#2 if you consider me deliberately leaving -30 off of D.Kali due to uneven drop rate of +atk eggs)

What latent awakenings are people sticking on their monsters? I see some putting stat up tamas on their endgame leaders and I'm wondering how big a difference it makes.
The stat up awakenings are 1% for attack, 1.5% for hp, and 4% for rcv. That only applies to base stats. They're close to worthless.

I've been ignoring them since they're all trash outside of the resist awakenings.

Top Bottom