• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

smbu2000

Tried out the one time challenge dungeon 8 again and managed to clear it. Much tougher than I expected. Indigo has nearly 12 million HP! and the boss Scarlet has 8.5 million HP.

Since you can't use the same leader (at least it's 7x6 which makes it easier.) I went in with a Ra/Horus team and I messed up and failed. I didn't have any other Horus friends, so I decided to try Ra with one of my Kite friends. His leader skill stops me from activating Ra's leader skill, but it was still helpful. I just had to make sure to throw in 5 orbs to make use of his leader skill. LKali plus A. Tsukuyomi make for a really nice combination! I just need some badpys for her.

Kite and A.Tsukuyomi are both Devils, so they receive the boost from Ra's leader skill. Ra with his skill gives me 10x attack and Kite when connecting 5 orbs gives me 8x attack. 80x attack is still pretty good.

I picked up a flampy and with that I max skill my Bronze Saiint, Ikki (Saint Seiya). Next I'll start saving them for when I'm able to make my Awoken Minerva. (just picked her up in the current GF)

One time challenge dungeon #9 looks to be somewhat easier, although having no awakenings probably means it will be tougher. I'll try it later. At least I can use the same leader this time.

Rixa

I had excess STA so made run in Green Skies today, almost perfect run.

Screenshot_2015-09-01-15-28-48.png

Ducarmel

Awoken my Yomi today.

Just threw the strongest cards I had, didn't care about optimization and since I have no Yomi friends went in endless with Vegito and lose to Zeus. I did not realize Yomi lost change the world part of her active thought it was just shorter like A.Venus and like a dumb ass activated her and moved the orb and let go to move another lol!

Thinking of a team assuming I find another Yomi, all I have is Pandora, Typhon, Haku I need to work on getting its Awoken evo, and Vamp.

I probably should work on replacing Vamp with Zearog8 but that dungeon just is outside of my reach at times, maybe i should just spend the stones just to get one.

I wouldn't waste stones on Z8 due to the need to chain run the dungeon to get dupes for awakenings and skillups. Well it's not really a "need", but I'd rather use my tamas and piis elsewhere.

Ducarmel

I keep trying to beat him with Bastet but there is always some bs that happens to me.

I just watched a Z8 clear with Kite on YouTube. I can build a similar team, I might give it a shot when it comes back around, just need to add plus eggs and level up some cards..

Noob questions here:

1. What's the best way to level up a monster that's rare (lvl 30 when they pop out)?

2. When's the best time to use the PAL machine? I know it's best to use it when you hit the 50 roll cap but is there a certain time to use it when you're there or before that like, for example, the Rare Egg machine during a God Fest?

I'm rank 33 right now. I'm enjoying it, despite it going from easy to tough real quick. I keep grinding Dragons of the Tower to up my team cost so I can use another God.

Noob questions here:

1. What's the best way to level up a monster that's rare (lvl 30 when they pop out)?

2. When's the best time to use the PAL machine? I know it's best to use it when you hit the 50 roll cap but is there a certain time to use it when you're there or before that like, for example, the Rare Egg machine during a God Fest?

I'm rank 33 right now. I'm enjoying it, despite it going from easy to tough real quick. I keep grinding Dragons of the Tower to up my team cost so I can use another God.
Pengdras, which drop from early Technical dungeons are good fodder early on. Evolve them with Dragon Plants and they'll give 45,000 EXP to a same color monster.

Later on you'll want to transition to super kings since they give you a lot more bang for your buck. But you need specialized gimmick teams to handle them since they have a lot of health, defense, and attack.

The enhance mat carnival going on right now also will drop kings or higher guaranteed, so that's also a good source of EXP as well as a place to spend your PAL points. Generally speaking you'll only want to roll PAL during events when they have some sort of bonus active.

Make sure to make use of the GAF spreadsheet embedded in the OP. We pretty much friend all gaffers regardless of rank so you get access to friend leaders that trivialize the early game.

What rare egg machine monsters do you have currently? Today is the second half of the Godfest, so if you don't have a good leader it may be advisable to reroll today. With a monster on the short list you'll catch up to your current account in under a day.

zoku88

Beat Zeus mercury for the first time. Pretty easy with awoken parvati team. There aren't very many hard hits in this dungeon.

Quantum

Noob questions here:

in addition to what cosmo said, I'd like to add

- in the very early game the only thing that matters is your rank.
- if you roll a great initial starting card it might not fit on your team or might alter the way you form your team.
- a god fest happens every 14 days, do not be afraid to restart from the begining (multiple times).
- it will take a long time to understand a lot of the mechanics and some of the high level discussion is not applicable to new players
- I'd recommend just playing and seeing how you like to match and combo - learn the basics and read about the different leads.
- as cosmo said the GAF list will make the early game much easier - so much so that I think your starting roll becomes irrelevant.

- after playing for some time you have to decide whether you are going to spend money in the game or if you are going to remain non-iap. both are valuable, I've said a number of times I lasted 370 played days before spending a cent.
- if you plan to spend in the game, don't worry about your early rolls - concentrate on ranking up (for both increased stamina and team cost)
- if you don't plan to spend, reroll till you have a good end game lead with viable farm-able subs and work on increasing your rank.

Pengdras, which drop from early Technical dungeons are good fodder early on. Evolve them with Dragon Plants and they'll give 45,000 EXP to a same color monster.

Later on you'll want to transition to super kings since they give you a lot more bang for your buck. But you need specialized gimmick teams to handle them since they have a lot of health, defense, and attack.

The enhance mat carnival going on right now also will drop kings or higher guaranteed, so that's also a good source of EXP as well as a place to spend your PAL points. Generally speaking you'll only want to roll PAL during events when they have some sort of bonus active.

Make sure to make use of the GAF spreadsheet embedded in the OP. We pretty much friend all gaffers regardless of rank so you get access to friend leaders that trivialize the early game.

What rare egg machine monsters do you have currently? Today is the second half of the Godfest, so if you don't have a good leader it may be advisable to reroll today. With a monster on the short list you'll catch up to your current account in under a day.

Here's what I got so far and we can go from there if I'm doing something wrong:

I tried the whole reroll thing and it made me sad. :(

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Lumiel is cool but she was released right before some major power creep hit the game, so she can't deal with endgame at all. She's due for an evolution in the future which could make her useable again, but it's hard to tell what will happen exactly. She's got a few late-game team compositions that don't require heavy IAP/luck which is nice if you're not going to spend. Your other two rare mobs are not viable mid-late game leaders. Look for Haku and "red" Sonia players to friend with your monsters.

Are you spending stones to continue in dungeons, out of curiosity?

Lumiel is cool but she was released right before some major power creep hit the game, so she can't deal with endgame at all. She's due for an evolution in the future which could make her useable again, but it's hard to tell what will happen exactly. She's got a few late-game team compositions that don't require heavy IAP/luck which is nice if you're not going to spend. Your other two rare mobs are not viable mid-late game leaders. Look for Haku and "red" Sonia players to friend with your monsters.

Are you spending stones to continue in dungeons, out of curiosity?

Nope. I used most of them to increase my box size. With this God Fest going on, I used whatever I had, which was only two pulls worth, on the Rare Egg machine.

Sukospin

When did we put up a new Google Docs list? I know back then there was talk about making a new one, but I just noticed today. *slowpoke*

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Did my 2 GF pulls today...first pull Radiuos (dupe)...man screw this game. 2nd Pull Susanoo...YES !!!

TAMADRA Retreat again at like 4AM for me - so i will also have to skip this one. Been the same for me the last 2-3 months...sucks but i wont sacrifice my sleep for the stage.

PS: Cleared Keeper of the Gold - Mythical the first time in 6 rounds - OHKO on every encounter...felt good.
Did the coin dungeon to try and level up some of my new characters. Just missed the first time it appeared, but the second time...yes!
Congrats,

i had something similar happening a week or two ago...i was so happy only to have the Pii not drop at all, i thought it would be a guaranteed drop if it appears on the floor and the other units dont drop...lol. This game can be cruel.
Raised inventory size, increased friend list size by 5 and made 5 more pulls because reasons.

Atleast I got 2 gods this time and first one is really great, another one will be good(?) when ever I can (prolly in few years) awoken it to final(?) form. 2 Nice pulls and 3 crap pulls.

1. Vishnu, great so great \o/
2. More these Sh(a)it(an)s, now even unevoed version.
3. My 4th fruit dragon, no dupes. Any niche use to fruities?
4. According to PADX comments Awoken Form is great?
5. Ehh, I guess this can have some use in dark team (or not).
VuschnUUU and Lakshmi...really nice pulls - especially Vishnu will be nice with your GZL and the new Rider.

Woohoo, God Rush defeated. I think thats my last legend plus rush. Even got the Gaia drop, so I'm all set if I ever pull Hades.
I also beat Zeus Mercury. SS Isis made it super easy. I'm liking her more and more. Looking forward to an eventual ult if the collab comes back around.

Kyuur

Here's what I got so far and we can go from there if I'm doing something wrong:

I tried the whole reroll thing and it made me sad. :(

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Evolve and awaken (using free Tamadras they give out) that Kraken Rider asap when you have enough team cost. It will be your highest source of damage until you pull something better. This is due to the 'Two Prong Attack' awakening of which she has two, which will boost her attack by 2.25 when matching four orbs instead of three (using one of the leader combos below, that's a whopping 20-30~x damage total for her).

As Cosmo said, you can use Lumiel as a leader with popular devil lead friends like Red Sonia and Lu Bu.

You can also use Kraken Rider with some water based friends for early-mid. Later evolutions of the water starter, Idunn&Idunna, Hermes or Skuld.

You could also opt color matching with Dark/Water like Haku (who also has a devil subtype to go with Lumiel), Karin or Isis.

Edit: Oh, and a tip on how to get some evo mats (particularly Tuesday Dungeon - Rainbow, Wednesday Dungeon - Expert and Friday Dungeon - Expert) before your main teams are up to snuff. Level up and evolve your Siren (to her second evolution, 'Enchantress of the Sea, Siren') and use her as a leader in combination with a Green Odin friend. Odin will prevent massive amounts of damage while Siren keeps you healed up. You can do something similar with a Ogre leader that prevents you from dying when over 70% health. This is referred to as a Zombie team.

Evolve and awaken (using free Tamadras they give out) that Kraken Rider asap when you have enough team cost. It will be your highest source of damage until you pull something better. This is due to the 'Two Prong Attack' awakening of which she has two, which will boost her attack by 2.25 when matching four orbs instead of three (using one of the leader combos below, that's a whopping 20-30~x damage total for her).

As Cosmo said, you can use Lumiel as a leader with popular devil lead friends like Red Sonia and Lu Bu.

You can also use Kraken Rider with some water based friends for early-mid. Later evolutions of the water starter, Idunn&Idunna, Hermes or Skuld.

You could also opt color matching with Dark/Water like Haku (who also has a devil subtype to go with Lumiel), Karin or Isis.

Edit: Oh, and a tip on how to get some evo mats (particularly Tuesday Dungeon - Rainbow, Wednesday Dungeon - Expert and Friday Dungeon - Expert) before your main teams are up to snuff. Level up and evolve your Siren (to her second evolution, 'Enchantress of the Sea, Siren') and use her as a leader in combination with a Green Odin friend. Odin will prevent massive amounts of damage while Siren keeps you healed up. You can do something similar with a Ogre leader that prevents you from dying when over 70% health. This is referred to as a Zombie team.

That's a lot of info, haha. I'll definitely keep it in mind as I progress. Thanks.

How far away are those Light and Dark super invades? The light one is such a perfect sub for Kirin and Awoken Ama, but I don't know if I have it in me to max skill one. How rare is the invade?

Damn on second thought maybe not. Average of 20k stamina to max skill the old fashioned way. Or 15 shinpy as the alternative. That's a shame.

coy

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

Passed on both GF like a champ, bring on the good stuff.
I'm with you. I could use a few things here and there, but I like having the fortitude to wait for a needed pairing for godfests. Maybe if Sengoku comes with a good pair is when I'll pull next. That said, I do miss yolo for the fun. That's been relegated to special REMs which has proven unfulfilling.

yami4ct

Got together one more roll on my JP account. Bastet! I'm missing a board changer and I don't have any of the 3 TPA green subs, but I should be able to put together a fun team to run with her. Can't be mad about that pull.

razterik

Jealous. My JP account has all the good green TPA subs outside Kaede, but no Bastet. I can use Osiris, but the lack of time extends kills my combos.

Pulled another pack on NA, only good stuff was a Tsubaki and finally Sarasvati. Happy about those two, but the rest was really bad.

EU announced v8.1.1 and a nine hour maintenance. MP shop hype.

cw_sasuke

Any reason to be hyped for the MP shop if you arent interested in Shiva Dragon ?

razterik

Hmm. No? I suppose you can abuse MP dragon friends, but there's nothing else worth buying in there. The latent awakenings are ultimately farmable and the evo materials are horribly overpriced. I suppose the 50k pii every two weeks is okay if you really need it, but I'm not buying them.

yami4ct

Just did a quick calculation. If I ditched all he dupes I could afford to part with, the best I could do is like 70k. No where close to Shiva Dragon. I officially do not care about the MP shop. haha.

cw_sasuke

Hmm. No? I suppose you can abuse MP dragon friends, but there's nothing else worth buying in there. The latent awakenings are ultimately farmable and the evo materials are horribly overpriced. I suppose the 50k pii every two weeks is okay if you really need it, but I'm not buying them.

Okay thanks.
Im interested in the Marionette Series but it will take a while until we get them. I have given up on getting Ceres so the Green MP Dragon seems like to be a very good anti bind unit...but 300k MP is a bit much for just a sub. Hope Wee Jas skill ups will be back soon.

NineH

got lucky with my godfest rolls this time around

Marine Rider
Gronia
Verdandi
Ur Chimera

The only thing bad about getting Verdandi and Gronia at the same time is that they are now fighting for the green trifruits I have.

yami4ct

What's the reason that G/L Susano is recommended on Awoken Bastet squads over his Awoken? G/L has a slightly longer active and better base attack, but the fairly large HP boost, extra Skill Boost and extra Time Extend with Awoken seems kind of worth it to me.

I'm currently thinking

Bastet/New Artemis/Perseus/Susano/Phact (green mech dragon)/Bastet

Only other non-farmable greens I could use that I have are Leeza, Marine Rider and GZL. GZL doesn't seem worth running without Vishnu or Liu Bei. Phact seems better than Leeza overall. I guess Marine Rider could be good with some Skill-ups, but I'm not sure he tops what I've got already in there.

cw_sasuke

Finally cleared GYP Legend - based Sara and Skyfalls xD
What's the reason that G/L Susano is recommended on Awoken Bastet squads over his Awoken? G/L has a slightly longer active and better base attack, but the fairly large HP boost, extra Skill Boost and extra Time Extend with Awoken seems kind of worth it to me.

I'm currently thinking

Bastet/New Artemis/Perseus/Susano/Phact (green mech dragon)/Bastet

Only other non-farmable greens I could use that I have are Leeza, Marine Rider and GZL. GZL doesn't seem worth running without Vishnu or Liu Bei. Phact seems better than Leeza overall.

Who is recommending GL Susasno over his Awoken form ? Doesnt make much sense to me the Awoken form is superior in almost every way and perfect for Bastet.

And GZL is overkill on Bastet unless you for some reason need to dash out +15 million a round.

Rixa

Congratz :). Since I dont have any better use for STA at the moment (and Jewel Dragons are on the evening) I decided to try "Starlight Sanctuary - Guardian Dragon of God" again. Few weeks ago I did lose couple of times, that asshole Meteoric Volcano Dragon was too tough.

Now I cleared it with first try, after that Goddest of Harvest was easy. Next to GoW :p. Iam definetly going to try last battle KoG so I see where Iam.

yami4ct

Who is recommending GL Susasno over his Awoken form ? Doesnt make much sense to me the Awoken form is superior in almost every way and perfect for Bastet.

And GZL is overkill on Bastet unless you for some reason need to dash out +15 million a round.

Almost every Bastet team guide I've found, including Game8's Japanese guide, lists G/L and not Awoken. They've been updated post Awoken as well, so that really confused me. Awoken has worse typing, but that doesn't matter unless you run GZL (which as you said is overkill).

cw_sasuke

Congratz :). Since I dont have any better use for STA at the moment (and Jewel Dragons are on the evening) I decided to try "Starlight Sanctuary - Guardian Dragon of God" again. Few weeks ago I did lose couple of times, that asshole Meteoric Volcano Dragon was too tough.

Now I cleared it with first try, after that Goddest of Harvest was easy. Next to GoW :p. Iam definetly going to try last battle KoG so I see where Iam.

Cool...yeah Startlight Sanctuary is the first real test for Normal Dungeons. Especially for Zeus you have to be able to dish out quite some damage and kill him in 2 turns...unless you bring along Echidna. But with Uevo Vishnu/GZL/Rider you should be able to take him out in 2 turns.
Almost every Bastet team guide I've found, including Game8's Japanese guide, lists G/L and not Awoken. They've been updated post Awoken as well, so that really confused me. Awoken has worse typing, but that doesn't matter unless you run GZL (which as you said is overkill).

Probably because the extra Susanoo Awakenings while nice are less useful on him with the team having other damage dealers You will likely use his active just once per stage so 5 rounds of reduced damage seems to have higher priority than 3 rounds + reduced cooldown and his added Awakenings for them.

If the other teams spots are occupied by perfect subs (Liu, MeiMei, Verdandi etc) i could see why some one would prefer GL active for a longer defense period. I personally will go for the Awoken version - reduced skill cooldown and with my other subs i dont think rounds are necessary....but then again i havent played the more difficult Japan only stuff which they are likely referring to.

What does the recommended Bastet team looks for Ultimate Arena ? Without a heartmaker i could see why he could be more important for Bastet teams if the other subs are all damage dealers.

J0dy77

Decided to gamble and use my last 5 stones for another pull at JP PCGF, Cao Cao #3

vokDtOZ.gif

I'm convinced that pc Godfest is a trap. I saved 80 stones in the US for the last pc and got next to nothing. I had 40 in jp this time and had the same awful result. I do much better with focusing on the pantheons.

I had one of those awful pad days. Ran tamdra retreat 17 times and got two full tamdra. Had a run of 0 for 12 on baby feeds. And to top it off, wiped on the final floor of challenge 9 for being dumb. /sigh

Rixa

Cool...yeah Startlight Sanctuary is the first real test for Normal Dungeons. Especially for Zeus you have to be able to dish out quite some damage and kill him in 2 turns...unless you bring along Echidna. But with Uevo Vishnu/GZL/Rider you should be able to take him out in 2 turns.

I have Echidna, cause I dont have enhancers to exp Vishnu yet. Not going to test that dungeon today, someday :).

So how do kill bosses with Perseverance? I'm using Ra team and just can't avoid triggering it.

Gravity them out of it. If you can survive the hit and they don't heal you can have a counter attack up or poison them before hand. Or just put a shield up and go for two rounds of nukes if they have a nasty <1%hp attack.

Top Bottom