• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

Man. We don't even know the full details of Arena 2.0 yet, but I'm really feeling down about the game over this. Arena was the dungeon that every heavy player was working toward. Pulling the REM. Ultramaxing teams. It's a lot of time and investment just to field a team with a 50/50 chance with decent skill. Then GH goes and says, "Sorry. We got carried away with powercreep, and now ultrawhales that have moved on from double DKalis to double Eschamalis are starting to speedrun the arena. So we decided to rebalance it, making a lot of players' hard work and stones building an arena team go to waste. Oh, and it will be an ongoing rebalancing act as we continue to inevitably make Arena easier with powercreep." It puts you in a state of paralysis. It takes so long to build an Arena team full of ultramax monsters, then they go and change the dungeon before most players have even completed their teams. Makes you think what's the point in chasing a moving target. Guess I'll wait to see how it actually shakes out but at least apparently Japan are also upset over it so that gives some hope.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Honestly i wouldnt be too worried yet - Arena 2 likely means that the Top teams will just have to be changed up a bit so they can clear it. Its not like they can come up with new mechanics that would just straight up make Ra Dragon or Kalis as subs useless.

Piis for skillups are still the best and most sought after reward in the game so getting them will always be the most difficult challenge in the game so Arena evolving down the line isnt that uprising.

Than again im far away from having any of the perfect Arena teams and i dont farm/buy latent Awakenings...probably would be more pissed if had worked so much on a perfect team only for them to change up the dungeon again. But as sad its not like Top Tier subs like Oku, Kalis, Haku etc. can be rendered useless that fast.

PS. For the next couple month i will lay low a bit and try to save up some stones for the next interesting Godfest/new units. I feel like im at a point where i should be able to clear most challenges if i improve my playstyle.

So yeah downtime until Awoken U&Y starts the glorious return of the Water Meta.
Arena was my end goal to beat

Most likely with my A. Ra team, and now they're making Arena 2? lol...
..isnt even my final form lol.

But yeah same here heh - that why i taking my time with an Arena team, knew they would change things up before i would be anywhere near for Arena clears.

Jagernaut

We don't know what they will do in Arena 2. They could increase the damage dealt by bosses so that full latents won't suffice and a shield is required. They could change the boss mechanics to make gravity less effective so the effort to hypermax Zeus Stratios is wasted.

jay23

How many people in JP are clearing arena consistently? Are they only "rebalancing" because the ultra whales are now speed farming this dungeon that was supposed to be almost impossible to beat?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Man. We don't even know the full details of Arena 2.0 yet, but I'm really feeling down about the game over this. Arena was the dungeon that every heavy player was working toward. Pulling the REM. Ultramaxing teams. It's a lot of time and investment just to field a team with a 50/50 chance with decent skill. Then GH goes and says, "Sorry. We got carried away with powercreep, and now ultrawhales that have moved on from double DKalis to double Eschamalis are starting to speedrun the arena. So we decided to rebalance it, making a lot of players' hard work and stones building an arena team go to waste. Oh, and it will be an ongoing rebalancing act as we continue to inevitably make Arena easier with powercreep." It puts you in a state of paralysis. It takes so long to build an Arena team full of ultramax monsters, then they go and change the dungeon before most players have even completed their teams. Makes you think what's the point in chasing a moving target. Guess I'll wait to see how it actually shakes out but at least apparently Japan are also upset over it so that gives some hope.

I guess Gungho may already have realized the possible disaster caused by a bad effort of rebalancing, and will continue rebalancing after ppl complained on twitter.

hermit7

Anyone beat challenge 10 this circuit? I have some stamina with not running for coins today and beat 9 with Bastet.

10 looks doable with Bastet but that means 16 million damage for shiva and that seems rough especially with the 2 turn cd increase.

Not sure what to do for it to be honest. I would like the pii for yomi dragon. It sucks that it is the highest level of challenge dungeons this crop.

Edit: ran it with i&i/ryune spent 2 stones on it but got one back. Pretty happy honestly with it got a pii for yomidra which is important. Need 5 more for max. Need izanami and zaerog to come around to evolve. It is funny that I have the hardest part done before anything else (plus eggs)

Negator

I was super busy on Kanetsugu and Hera Sowilo day, didn't get as many plus eggs as I wanted. Oh well. Here's hoping 10x will be a regular event now.

Two milestones today. Ult Evod my Yomi Dragon and hit rank 300! It took me much longer than most people but I got there.
KQoWkWU.png

Jonsoncao

Banned
Anyone beat challenge 10 this circuit? I have some stamina with not running for coins today and beat 9 with Bastet.

10 looks doable with Bastet but that means 16 million damage for shiva and that seems rough especially with the 2 turn cd increase.

Not sure what to do for it to be honest. I would like the pii for yomi dragon. It sucks that it is the highest level of challenge dungeons this crop.

Edit: ran it with i&i/ryune spent 2 stones on it but got one back. Pretty happy honestly with it got a pii for yomidra which is important. Need 5 more for max. Need izanami and zaerog to come around to evolve. It is funny that I have the hardest part done before anything else (plus eggs)

For most current two C10s with Shiva on the last floor, RaDra team with at least 1 RaDra having 2 skill delay resist latents works pretty well. I went through both on the first try, not even having the intense feels as other 6*5 C10s.

hermit7

For most current two C10s with Shiva on the last floor, RaDra team with at least 1 RaDra having 2 skill delay resist latents works pretty well. I went through both on the first try, not even having the intense feels as other 6*5 C10s.

Yeah I threw 2 stones at it. Pretty easy actually, I could soak up the preemptive and heal back up, and could tank most hits. Both stones on shiva, the first because I had no heal orbs and the second because I got a bad board and couldn't burst him all the way. Got him below 25 and was one shot.

Beat it with i&i/ryune. I don't have any subs for radra (no Dkali) but I wanted the pii so I could skill up my yomidra who I do have a decent team for.

mike23

Finished off my RKali. I got 4 skillups from the 15-20 Devilits I had in my box when the skills changed. It took me another 30+ runs of Friday Mythical with 8 devilit drops to get the last skill up. 50% chance on the last floor is a lie.

I thought about giving her +297, but I already have 2 hypermax DKalis. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm currently sitting on two +297 fodder monsters, but I don't know what to do with them.

I'm so dumb. Decided to do C10 blindly with Radra. Actually just too lazy to look it up and just wanted to use up 100 stam before bed. 7x6 should be cake for Radra, right? Cruising along barely taking a scratch. Proceed to floor 4 with full HP and all skills charged. WAP! DQ Hera preemptive. Charged Isis and Indra just shaking their heads from the bench.

Bladelaw

Is the PAD Z collab worth running for more than the stone? The only thing I'm seeing is the potential to build a mega tank team after burning an army of Tamas.

razterik

One or two dark Elysiums are key to some cheese strategies for later dungeons, including YomiDra soloing Mecha Hera. So it's not a bad idea to go after a couple if you have interest in that, but it's not the most practical usage of time/stones.

Also a quick and easy source of plus eggs if you're running ShivDra. Guan Yinping is probably a better drop rate, though that's a bit more complicated.

So are the base monsters in the Shinrabansho and Kapibara dungeons supposed to get updated to have skills without evolving? Was thinking about farming them during 2x, but not if I have to evo the bastards. I'm done with that bullshit.

hermit7

So are the base monsters in the Shinrabansho and Kapibara dungeons supposed to get updated to have skills without evolving? Was thinking about farming them during 2x, but not if I have to evo the bastards. I'm done with that bullshit.

Don't think so only fairies, bowl dragons and one more but it wasn't them I am sure.

Don't think so only fairies, bowl dragons and one more but it wasn't them I am sure.
Eh. Not worth it for me then. Thanks. Having to evo monsters for a chance at a skillup is my most hated mechanic in the game. Won't do it anymore for less important monsters, especially while 10x is available.

Picked up 350 +eggs on Thursday, using 7 stones. I'm at just the right level where I was able to level up stone twice and level up again without any waste. With the possibility of Arena teams being invalidated, I decided to finish off my LKali rather than throw it all at my Yomidra team. But I did finsh off Okuni as well. I think Akechi will be next; hopefully we'll see the sengoku skill up dungeons pretty soon.

Epic Drop

Yeah I maxed my a.haku by farming dark orb invades a few events ago. Took maybe 10-15 stones worth of stamina, but worth it to use the 4 badpies on other cards.

coy

I'm 1/6 on Haku #1 but still determined to use jewels rather than pys. I hope to max skill her when jewel invades return.

razterik

Had the WORST skill up rate ever, during both 3x and the 2.5x after. Had to switch to A.Ra after dying many times with Minerva due to orb trolling and too many high cost subs (thanks anyway, Cosmo!). My god, how did anyone max him this way!? Even with Santa Fencer to completely bypass the combo crap floor, I still must have failed 65% of my runs. Often ate it on floors 3-5 when trying to stall or withholding active usage and then I occasionally got totally trolled by Z8 himself when a 100x didn't finish him or Light Kali gave horrible boards.

J0dy77

Challenge dungeon 10 down. Took three tries this time. Cosmo, if you saw my comment a couple pages back, switching out d.kali for dizanami was the trick. I used dizanami to tank hera and then susano to tank shiva for a couple rounds. Worked really well.

And with the c10 dark pii I finally did this :

VqcNYw4l.jpg

I may or may not have used 7 piis to finish him off, lol. I can't take that z8 dungeon anymore and I didn't have much use for the dark piis at the moment. Time to try and stock pile again and hope I don't need it for something that comes along.

Did you just pray for enough heal orbs to get past the skill delay? Either way I've failed on the Zeus-Dios floor the past few attempts so it might not even matter.

J0dy77

Did you just pray for enough heal orbs to get past the skill delay? Either way I've failed on the Zeus-Dios floor the past few attempts so it might not even matter.

Rcv total was just over 3000. Two heart matches on a 7x6 board isn't hard to expect and easily brings you back to full with limited matching. I only ended up needing one extra turn on shiva after the first turn dropped him to 40%.

With the 50% reduction from susano you only need to recover 14k or so power turn as well.

Bladelaw

Maybe not the smartest move but I got 16 awakenings out of 3 stones during the TAMA invasion. Vishnu and Verdandi are cleared now Perseus, Cu Chulainn, Kushi, and eventually Bastet are next.

J0dy77

Crazy how after 1100 days I'm still learning this game. When awoken yomi came around I quickly abandoned her because of the difficulty. Fast forward through a bunch of c10 with awoken kirin and she's raised my skill level considerably. Went back to yomi now and I really see the power, going to hyper this team next.

Plus, I've been completely avoiding using dizanami on my teams for the lack of rcv. Now after using her instead of d.kali in challenge 9 and 10 she might be a permanent replacement. She's definitely my next 297. Being able to run 9 straight rounds of damage reduction (with susano) is so strong.

FZZ

Banned
Zhou Yu is still a fucking retarded dungeon

Resolve, 50% damage shield, and that fucking 15k attack no matter what plus he sets up a barrier first turn?

Why the fuck does a monster get to attack twice? I don't get it. Ugh.

Rixa

Resolve, 50% damage shield, and that fucking 15k attack no matter what plus he sets up a barrier first turn?

Took 2 tries for my YD team, 2nd try was close call. Forgot that stupid resolve, made shitton of damage (even after that fucking barrier) and "Oh shit resolve". ZY used 15k attack, I was left 456 HP and luckily I had Persephone skill up (other skills blown away earlier) and could beat that fucker for the stone.

Not bothering any more with that asshole dungeon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Finally beat Scarlet - never again, kinda hate her stage (like all of these leveling up Desc).

He can be troublesome even with Top Tier teams - def. one of the dungeons were you wanna bring along a Delay unit.

FZZ

Banned
Took 2 tries for my YD team, 2nd try was close call. Forgot that stupid resolve, made shitton of damage (even after that fucking barrier) and "Oh shit resolve". ZY used 15k attack, I was left 456 HP and luckily I had Persephone skill up (other skills blown away earlier) and could beat that fucker for the stone.

Not bothering any more with that asshole dungeon.

Yeah I ended up getting my ZY from the Arrival Carnival. Just wanna get the stone this time.

He can be troublesome even with Top Tier teams - def. one of the dungeons were you wanna bring along a Delay unit.

I don't like it cause my A.Ra team doesn't really have space for a delay.

It's one of the few Mythicals I just have serious trouble with because of the gimmicks.

I even find Legend Plus dungeons like Devil Rush easier than it lol.

razterik

Just checked in on JP after the update and got a free full stamina bar. Might want to log in if you care about such things. No word on Arena 2.0 lineup yet, but I'm sure it will be scouted out soon.

Translated changes to arena are up on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PuzzleAndDragons/comments/40iok7/discuss_arena_v20_changes/

Edit: NOTE: ALL DAMAGE GOT BUFFED ACROSS THE BOARD(this includes pre-emps too aka DQ Hera now does 43k..), looks to be somewhere around 10%. HP buffed by 10% too.

Changes by floor #:

Floor 1 - Ninjas to kappas other first floor mobs in recent dungeons
Floor 2 - Yamatsumi added
Floor 7 - Zhu Bajie added
Floor 8 - Greco-God(Hermes, Ares, etc) removed, Surtr & Heimdallr & Hel & Jord added
Floor 9 - Shieldras changed to Armored Dragons
Floor 11 - PreDra floor added, hits for 26.4k... floors after it pushed down by 1, will include old floor in ()
Floor 12(11) - Zera or Sonia Gran only floor now, Sonias/Fagan removed
Floor 15(14) - Angelion added
Floor 16(15) - Venus removed, Lakshmi added - will be easy to clear jammers w/ TEs she disables awakenings for 6 turns
Floor 18(17) - All Zeus(es?) removed, Hera-Ur & Hera-Is moved here, Shiva & Vishnu added- the despair begins
Floor 19(18) - Ilsix added - despair continues
Floor 20(19) - DQ Hera pre-emp buffed to 42,802... - despair INTENSIFIES
Floor 21(20) - Kali damage buffed across the board, can no longer Indra to tank hits >65%, does 20k damage a turn now <65%. - ZETSUBOUUUUUUUUUU
Floor 22(21) - 3 Piis spawn, and they do 8.5k damage a hit.. and hp buffed to 26 so you need 3 turns.. RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Seems like the only way to beat this now is to rng all the easy bosses.. Hera-Is -> Threedia -> Athena looks to be the easiest path.
Well, that makes me glad I didn't bother farming dark latents during the last event at least...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PuzzleAndDragons/comments/40iok7/discuss_arena_v20_changes/

Well, that makes me glad I didn't bother farming dark latents during the last event at least...

Jesus christ. I'm nowhere near arena, but man that looks insane. I'm sure the power creep is about to get turned up so people can actually clear this thing.

I ran a bunch of tama retreat yesterday and stoned super kings a few time and now my Saria team is basically good to go. I cleared Takeminakata so easily with it. I know that's an easy dungeon, but I've literally never had a team that had a chance since I run Typhon. I just need to hope that Saria can clear Kaguya-Hime tonight and then I'll be able to get Awoken Ama tonight! Really looking forward to getting her, since I can also put together a decent healer team and that might come in handy.

jay23

I just want a chance to beat the original Ultimate Arena whenever I get that far, they should make it like endless corridors.

I think I read that it's going to be an urgent dungeon. I guess that's cool.
Honestly, if they don't do at least this, I'll lose all temptation to IAP ever again. If it's weekly(ish) like tamas, I can live with the change. With an hour long time frame, it can't be abused by whales throwing stones at it, and it won't heavily affect the non-IAPers who weren't spending too much stamina on it anyway. Seems like a fair compromise.

razterik

AHAHAHAHA, fuck this game.

We can't even rely on power creep to get past this shit because they're just going to buff everything in Arena again in six months.

Why did I ever buy YomiDra (RIP) again? I was doing fine clearing stuff with ShivDra and various Awokens, especially when the free A.ALuci is as capable if not more so.

GungHo NA damn well better give us an update timeframe for when they plan to roll this over. I have absolutely no interest in finishing a team that could be completely obsolete at the flick of a switch the next day.

Top Bottom