• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
QuakeCon 2011 begins on Thursday, August 4th

edit: there was another better thread, but we were merged.

TommyT said:
NwJJz.png

When: August 4 - 7

Where: Hilton Anatole
- address: 2201 N. Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX
- discounted room(s): here

Google Map

0xf39.png

Event Schedule:

Wednesday
  • 1:00 Exhibitor Registration Open

Thursday
  • 9:00am BYOC Open
  • 7:00 Exhibitor Registration Open
  • 9:00 Attendee Registration Open
  • 10:00 Exhibition Hall Open
  • 12:00 Ventrilo Ultimate Power Up RAGE Truck Reveal
  • 12:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 2:00 Welcome to QuakeCon 2011 Presented (as always) by John Carmack
  • 2:00 Mini-games IRL
  • 2:30 QuakeCon Annual Keynote by John Carmack
  • 4:00 Mini-games IRL
  • 4:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 6:00 Viktor Antonov Signing Session
  • 6:30 Fatal1ty Shootout

Friday
  • All day BYOC Open
  • 8:00 Exhibitor Registration Open
  • 10:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 12:00 Fatal1ty Shootout
  • 1:00 Skyrim Presentation Presented by Todd Howard
  • 1:30 BAWLS Chugging, Round 1
  • 2:30 20 Years of id Software with the big boys:
    • John Carmack
      Tim Willits
      Todd Hollenshead
      Kevin Cloud
  • 3:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 4:00 Ultimate Origins: The Games That Influence Us Featuring:
    • Raphael Colantonio, Arkane
      Harvey Smith, Arkane
      Matt Hooper, id Software
      Marcus Smith, Insomniac
  • 4:30 Fatal1ty Shootout
  • 5:30 Prey 2 Presentation
  • 6:00 Dallas IDGA Charity Poker Tournament
  • 6:00 Mini-games IRL
  • 7:00 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 9:00 Master Pancake riffs Twilight
Saturday
  • All day BYOC Open
  • 8:00 Exhibitor Registration Open
  • 10:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 12:00 Fatal1ty Shootout
  • 1:00 Community Managers: Un-moderated! Featuring:
    • Abbie Heppe, Respawn
      Adam Pyle, id Software
      Matt Grandstaff, Bethesda Softworks
      Nick Breckon, Bethesda Softworks
      Ryan Schneider, Insomniac
  • 1:30 Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive Drawing
  • 2:30 First-person Perspectives featuring:
    • Mackey McClandish, Respawn
      Drew Murray, Insomniac
      Tim Willits, id Software
      Julien Roby, Arkane
  • 3:00 BAWLS Chugging, Round 2
  • 3:30 PC Perspective Hardware Workshop
  • 5:30 Mini-games IRL
  • 7:00 QuakeCon Tournament Finals Party

Sunday
  • 12:00 BYOC Open Showing events until 10/15.

In addition to the lineup of presentations and panels, attendees will also have the opportunity to check out various exhibitors on the show floor, including BAWLS Acquisition, Blaine Warren Advertising, Cooler Master, CPU Magazine, Dell Computer, Diamond Multimedia, FSP GROUP USA CORP, Glitch Gaming Apparel, Grow Up Japan Co., Ltd., Gunnar Optiks, Hi-Rez Studios, IN WIN Development, Intel Americas, Inc., Plantronics and Psyko Audio Labs, Inc.

z5uWs.png

http://registration.quakecon.org/
- no more swag
- free
- BYOC still open ($20)

Tournaments:
The Intel® QUAKE LIVE Duel Invitational Masters

Slots: 16 Players
Tournament Layout: Group Stage -> Single Elimination
Playoffs: Best of three - Best of five in Grand Final
Prize Purse: $14,000

$8,000
$4,000
$2,000

The Intel QUAKE LIVE Duel Invitational Masters will feature known professionals and top QUAKE LIVE competitors in their own exclusive tournament. Sixteen (16) of the world’s best QUAKE LIVE players, hand selected by tournament staff from the open online registration, will face-off in the 1 vs.1 duel for more than $14,000 in a single elimination bracket, with each match played in a best-of-three-games format. With two competitors remaining, thousands will gather to watch as these two best-of-the-best survivors go head-to-head in a single elimination, best-of-five-games throw-down with an $8,000 check written to the champion. Matches will feature a pool of five arenas.

The QUAKE LIVE Team Deathmatch Invitational Masters

Slots: 8 Teams
Tournament Layout: Group Stage -> Single Elimination
Playoffs: Best of three
Prize Purse: $28,000

$16,000
$8,000
$4,000

The Team Deathmatch Invitational Masters will feature 4 vs. 4 competitions for eight (8) teams battling it out in a single elimination bracket and best-of three-games format using five arenas. Players who come out on top will share prizes of $28,000, including $16,000 for the team of champions. Matches in the tournament will feature five arenas.

The Brink Open Tournament

Slots: 16 Teams
Prize Purse: N/A
Available for up to sixteen (16) teams of amateurs with five players per team, the Brink Open will offer up-and-coming competitors a taste of the excitement and pressure of professional gaming. Battling for prizes ranging from top of the line video cards to autographed copies of Brink, players will compete in a stopwatch single elimination bracket. Matches for the Brink Open Tournament will feature Aquarium, Resort, and Terminal.

Ventrilo PowerUp:
- 2011 Molten Orange Ford F-150 Raptor SVT with the Hennessey 600 package (IIRC)

qhucr.jpg

*Sure you can win it for "free", but gift tax and all that jazz means you still have to pay up sucka!

So GAF, who's going to be there? Any of Dallas-GAF going to support their local devs? Mini meetup for food/drinks?

Stealth I need friends thread.

Searched, didn't see anything but this:
frogg609 said:
I saw they have announced the dates for Quakecon 2011, and I'm thinking about going.
Does anyone who has gone in the past have any good stories about what it's like, etc?
I'd also be willing to volunteer, even part time, has anyone ever done this?
Looking at the Quakecon forums, I didn't find too much content, so I'm asking here.
Thanks

Searches failed me! Missed the original OT by subversus. Merged lots of info into this one. Thanks for that.

TommyT said:
Poker tournament on Friday night:

If you’re looking for a BYOC break on Friday night, we invite you to participate in the Dallas IGDA Charity Poker Tournament. Starting at 6 PM in the Hilton Anatole (you’ll already be there!), the tournament is all for a great cause — with proceeds going to Child’s Play.

The initial buy-in is $40 and re-buys are $30 (payments are made at the tournament). If you think you have what it takes to win (or just want to join in on the fun), click here to register!

We’ll have plenty of awesome prizes at the event — including contributions from id Software and Bethesda. For more on the event, head to the IGDA Dallas website.

Official site: http://www.quakecon.org

Participants:

idsoftware_logo4m4v.jpg

bethlogoykm2.jpg

arkane-studios-2-aaa-bp074.jpg

insomniac-games-logo9k9b.jpg

human-head-studios-loga8ck.jpg

respawnv8w0.jpg

Possible reveal:

doom_4_has_a_logo.jpg

Other games:

tribes-ascend-0268or.jpg

brink005.jpg

quake3.jpg

So, I live near Dallas, if I didn't care about the Quake Lan crap or whatever but just thought it might be fun to go see Carmack's keynote in person, could I do that as a general public?

GABDEG

I still remember waiting for the Doom 4 reveal last year and Carmack just came out and showed the Rage iPhone game. Worst troll ever. :(

subversus

GABDEG said:
I still remember waiting for the Doom 4 reveal last year and Carmack just came out and showed the Rage iPhone game. Worst troll ever. :(

hahaha, I was waiting for this too. Great Q3 matches that day though. Or was it the next day?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That schedule doesn't mention any tournies..? Surely the quintessential DM game won't be shunned? You can't have QuakeCon without Quake competitions.

Edit: 'Mention', not 'Meant'. :( 'Tis late.

Deadbeat

Banned
Dishonored and Prey 2. The only games I care about. Hopefully it wont be closed door presentation unlike Rage and Brink(but that was just to hide the suck apparently).

subversus

JaseC said:
That schedule doesn't meant any tournies..? Surely the quintessential DM game won't be shunned? You can't have QuakeCon without Quake competitions.

I heard there will be Q3 and Brink tourneys. Not sure why they're not in the schedule.

survivor

Banned
So from the look of schedule Respawn is just there to talk about FPS and stuff? They are not planning no showing anything?

JaseC

subversus said:
I heard there will be Q3 and Brink tourneys. Not sure why they're not in the schedule.

Good to hear. :) I'd hope so. Despite leaving Q3/QL behind long ago, it's to this day still fascinating to watch the game in the practiced hands of veterans/pros.

Gravijah said:
that logo doesn't have enough graphics i hope they improve it

Too angular for my liking.

RSP

specialguy said:
So, I live near Dallas, if I didn't care about the Quake Lan crap or whatever but just thought it might be fun to go see Carmack's keynote in person, could I do that as a general public?

Yes you could. Just register and have fun :)

subversus

survivor said:
So from the look of schedule Respawn is just there to talk about FPS and stuff? They are not planning no showing anything?

no

the only presentation there is Prey 2
and Doom 4

FoolsRun

Does anyone know how Insomniac got associated with this? I think Respawn was invited because they're friends with guys at Bethesda--EA is publishing their first title, so there's no direct business link with Zenimax unless they're licensing technology. I'm guessing a couple of the Insomniac guys are good friends with someone at Zenimax? I'm curious. It's like going to an event hosted by EA and having guys from Capcom there.

JaseC

FoolsRun said:
Does anyone know how Insomniac got associated with this? I think Respawn was invited because they're friends with guys at Bethesda--EA is publishing their first title, so there's no direct business link with Zenimax unless they're licensing technology. I'm guessing a couple of the Insomniac guys are good friends with someone at Zenimax? I'm curious. It's like going to an event hosted by EA and having guys from Capcom there.

If anything I imagine this marks the beginning of QuakeCon turning into a general exhibition event along the lines of E3/Gamescom/etc. as opposed to id-exclusive. It makes sense for Zenimax to capitalise on the popularity of QuakeCon.

subversus

Teknopathetic said:
http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=304

ATLANTA – July 13, 2011 — Today, Hi-Rez Studios announced that Tribes: Ascend will be featured at QuakeCon and playable by the public for the first time at the annual gaming convention.

Tribes is one of the most lauded brands in multiplayer gaming, with previous titles in the franchise being played by over one million people.

Tribes: Ascend is a new generation of the online multiplayer shooter, incorporating classic Tribes elements such as fast-paced, jetpack enabled combat, skiing, and vehicles, combined with teamwork and strategy. Tribes: Ascend is being designed by Hi-Rez Studios as a AAA free-to-play title.

Although the game is still in Closed Alpha, conference attendees will get the first public hands-on with Tribes: Ascend at Booth 333 of QuakeCon, held in Dallas, Texas from August 4th-7th 2011. Attendees can also register to win a limited number of keys to the Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta.

“QuakeCon has been called the Woodstock of gaming and we’ re thrilled to introduce Tribes: Ascend at this show”, says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO. “QuakeCon has always delivered exceptional, competitive, multiplayer gaming… for free; and that’s our mission with Tribes: Ascend.”

About Hi-Rez Studios

Hi-Rez Studios, Inc, located just outside of Atlanta GA, was established in 2005 to create exceptional online interactive entertainment. In February 2010 the company released the squad-based Shooter-MMO Global Agenda. Hi-Rez is currently developing other competitive online games including Tribes: Ascend and SMITE. For more information, visit www.hirezstudios.com

---

I hope someone there will cap lots of footage. Or Hi-Rez should do the smart thing and hold a mini-tournament and stream it live.

adding this to OP

Nizz

Crazy that this'll be the fifth(?) year Rage will be seen at QuakeCon again and the game still isn't out. I'm excited for it though. Also excited to see what Respawn has to show as well as a look at Prey 2. That game looks like it's turning out great.

Also, fingers crossed for Doom 4/Doom whatever they call it.

Deadbeat

Banned
Every time I see screens of Brink I think its gonna be awesome and then I remember I played the game. Hurts every time. Interested in knowing if the new tribes game will actually be a tribes game. Dont care about Rage or anything id has to offer. Didnt pay attention to Prey 2 so I am intrigued at seeing new footage.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm hoping we see the new Doom. I'm still very doubtful id can deliver anything I care about in their current state, but that name holds serious weight.

And I always enjoy the Carmack speech.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm pretty much just hoping for new Skyrim footage which seems likely and it's one of the first things on the schedule so it's win-win for me!

TommyT

- sent subversus my OP code should he want to use it.

Instead I will replace with stories!

- My first even was 2010 in hopes to win one of the two 2011 Shelby GT 500s they were giving away. I managed to get a ticket, however one (car) went to a rather short and portly fellow with a pony-tail that went well beyond the crack of his large buttocks. Hope he takes care of the car. The second car went to a guy who bought his ticket from the kid that won (last ticket thrown into the audience just before the drawing) for $400.

- Saw an amazingly attractive girl cream herself over winning a 128gig SSD. She was brought to the stage by her boyfriend (who played the previous game and got to pick the next contestant). She gave the car entry ticket to him, as she was more excited about the SSD.

- There was a planned proposal that was a surprise to the girl. She thought they were playing a game for couples when it all went down. Was rather good.

- L4D impromptu (?) tournament on the floor.

- Vendors just tossing out free gear. GPUs, CPUs, shirts, posters, other swag.

- The last day, they were just letting people take lots of left over stuff, so I'd recommend going then and picking up any leftovers you want.

DarkChild

Banned
Anyone going?According to Carmack's twitter RAGE will be playable on all platforms.I'm curios about regular gamers opinions and differences between versions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What do they call that stupid shoeless pileup outdoors that seems to happen each year? That is at QuakeCon, right?

tagrat

Wish I was going this year. I went out there for Quakecon 2009 with my best friend who moved to Dallas and it was a lot of fun. I didn't do the BYOC, but still had a great time just walking around and getting to see the RAGE presentation. There are a lot of free prize drawings from the companies there. Between me, my friend, and his girlfriend, we won, a Core i7 gaming pc, a Killer NIC, and a Creative Labs Headset from the Fatal1ty Shootout. Free t-shirts galore too. A+ Highly Recommend!

Ultratech

tagrat said:
Wish I was going this year. I went out there for Quakecon 2009 with my best friend who moved to Dallas and it was a lot of fun. I didn't do the BYOC, but still had a great time just walking around and getting to see the RAGE presentation. There are a lot of free prize drawings from the companies there. Between me, my friend, and his girlfriend, we won, a Core i7 gaming pc, a Killer NIC, and a Creative Labs Headset from the Fatal1ty Shootout. Free t-shirts galore too. A+ Highly Recommend!

Yep, it's some fun stuff, and I've been the last two years. Mainly since I live fairly close, so it only takes me about an hour or so to get to wherever they're having it. Always tons of free stuff going around, and the BYOC area is always fun to look at.

I plan on going again this year, so maybe I'll actually get something good from a drawing.

Sciz

Bring the DOOM, John.

(though listening to you talk about anything for an hour and a half is ok too)

Top Bottom