• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Saty said:

uggh, I really hope that's just an misunderstanding. If not then this will be your run of the mill console to pc port if resolution is all you can change :/

StuBurns

Banned
'Upscaling' textures?

id have been pretty open about Rage not being a big push on PC, it'll have the 'bells and whistles', better volumetric effects etc.

New engine for pc versions later on?

9:13

Nathan Grayson:
Carmack started a "new project." He's "exploring some things." Apparently, these "research engines" could be added to PC version of RAGE.
9:14

Nathan Grayson:
Via updates, obviously.

Deadbeat

Banned
Corky said:
uggh, I really hope that's just an misunderstanding. If not then this will be your run of the mill console to pc port if resolution is all you can change :/
Carmack said they were making it for console hardware since the beginning. So im not surprised its going to be a console port.

TommyT said:
Well yeah, but was looking forward to hearing some more details about it. And like I said, interested in seeing what people have to think about it (and have to say after they've seen it in action).

Question is how low will it drop?
something like resistance 3 or crysis 2 and halo:Reach on 360.

If it is like crysis 2 and Reach i dont think many will notice the drop for a couple of seconds.

Deadbeat said:
Carmack said they were making it for console hardware since the beginning. So im not surprised its going to be a console port.

Seems like they are taking a crytek crysis 2 approach on pc version.
Patch in the rest or more options and shaders later like the crysis 2 dx11 patch.

Deadbeat said:

he should go back to PC as lead-platform. But it is all about the money i guess.

Sad that hes waisting his talents cattering to the lowest common denominator.Really man ? You talk one sec about how insane power is on pc,and the other about how you cant do shit about popin ?

Deadbeat

Banned
SensualSeduction said:
Sad that hes waisting his talents cattering to the lowest common denominator.Really man ? You talk one sec about how insane power is on pc,and the other about how you cant do shit about popin ?
makes you wonder how butchered the PC version will be. Will the PC version have the same amount of pop in? We know is going to have the same low res textures and models.

StuBurns

Banned
SensualSeduction said:
How is it a waste? It's probably every bit as rewarding to push lower specs beyond expectation than support higher specs. It puts everyone on a level playing field from an engineering perspective.

SensualSeduction said:

I definitely wish for renewed high end Pc development but that's not where the money is. But leaving that issue aside, cant the true coding masters be argued to be on fixed platforms where they DONT have unlimited resources to throw at problems?

AKA, I dont think it's somehow necessarily more manly to work on PC.

Gravijah

SensualSeduction said:

yeah what he needs to do is take his space money and focus completely on making games for supercomputers like that wattson guy

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dragonelite said:
Patch in the rest or more options and shaders later like the crysis 2 dx11 patch.

yeah, that means christmas-summer sale. Because there will be mods too.

Deadbeat

Banned
specialguy said:
I definitely wish for renewed high end Pc development but that's not where the money is.
Which is why so many developers have bit the dust this generation when going multiplatform.

Ulchie

Banned
subversus said:
yeah, that means christmas-summer sale. Because there will be mods too.
Ya I'm going to hold off on ordering RAGE now. Once they have made the PC version what it should be I'll get it.

StuBurns

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Which is why so many developers have bit the dust this generation when going multiplatform.
Hardly, that's because they're spending more. There's virtually nothing on PC that would break even at the cost of Rage.

TommyT

dragonelite said:

there you go:
Nathan Grayson:
Potential "downloadable super quality pack" on PC.

Saty

9:21 Nathan Grayson: Code at ten times bitrate and release it as patch on PC -- to "test the extra benefit."

9:23 Nathan Grayson: Also, Carmack admits that textures up close don't look all that great in RAGE. Speaking from personal experience, I have to agree.

9:25 Nathan Grayson: Potential "downloadable super quality pack" on PC.

9:26 Nathan Grayson: Artists were pretty much crushed when they had to compress all the textures for consoles.
Just lead on PC and downgrade the assets for the console version. That's the sensible way.

TommyT

subversus said:
it would be nice to have it ready on release... but since they don't want our money day 1, that's fine.

Wonder if that's more of a decision coming from the top (business) or from the development standpoint. I'd like to think it's the former given Carmacks interest in PC and it's "power", their continued development for new tools/engines and whatnot.

also, no talk about multiplayer and the webcode/performance? Was VERY interested in this. Will have to dig around more today/tomorrow when I'm there.

StuBurns said:
Hardly, that's because they're spending more. There's virtually nothing on PC that would break even at the cost of Rage.

If i had to make a choice i would also opt for consoles first and pc later.

Deadbeat

Banned
subversus said:
Like Bethesda for example.
Sure love how broken their games are on release. Hell Fallout 3 is still a gigantic mess.
specialguy said:
You're right, devs hate money. That's why they all flee from PC.
Usually when they go multiplatform they change the game they are making to cater to focus testers. Nobody wins when this happens.
StuBurns said:
Maybe the cost of Rage was just poor spending. The game doesnt look all that hot and it sure isnt conveying it being a new revolutionary game. Plus, didnt carmack say the engine is gimped in many ways for certain game development?

StuBurns

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Usually when they go multiplatform they change the game they are making to cater to focus testers. Nobody wins when this happens.
Again, not really. That happens because the budgets are higher, so they can't afford to produce as risky content. If you put a forty million dollar exclusive on PC it would be every bit as mainstream in design.

Deadbeat

Banned
StuBurns said:
Again, not really. That happens because the budgets are higher, so they can't afford to produce as risky content. If you put a forty million dollar exclusive on PC it would be every bit as mainstream in design.
Then maybe devs should budget better, instead of having to destroy their work to pander to the widest audience possible to get into the black.

StuBurns

Banned
TommyT said:
Speaking of money and games... are budgets usually released for games?
We often get development budgets, almost never marketing budgets.

Deadbeat said:
Then maybe devs should budget better, instead of having to destroy their work to pander to the widest audience possible to get into the black.
Some do, but it's related to operating costs primarily, that's way many of the Eastern developers, where living costs are a fraction, are able to produce things like Stalker etc.

spats

Does the liveblog guy have ADHD? He's talking about dinosaurs and his coffee. Can't be that hard to repost what Carmack is talking about. I'd understand if he was funny but he isn't.

Metal-Geo

Worst thing is: There's three of them. All equally dumb and uninterested in Carmack's keynote.

Are there really no other places with liveblogs?

spats said:
Does the liveblog guy have ADHD? He's talking about dinosaurs and his coffee. Can't be that hard to repost what Carmack is talking about. I'd understand if he was funny but he isn't.

Need those facebook likes to inflate his epeen

TommyT

Nathan Grayson:
More coding talk. Coding still winds up being the "long pole in the tent." Content in RAGE is done, but code is complex.

I guess that's a nice blanket statement to cover some of the delays that have come back to bite them in the butt.

Top Bottom