• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

Seems unlikely they'll debut Doom4 and nobody is filming live even...course I'm still hopeful though.

Nathan Grayson:
A press person called RAGE "a moving painting." I called my favorite Rush album "Moving Pictures."

somebody shoot this guy.

"I don't think they're counting that as "live coverage"... even though that's exactly what it is. "Video coverage" would have been a better term. As VG247 is live blogging this as well."

Did you read that link? They were just reposting what Carmack was saying on the actual live video feed. It says as much.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TommyT said:
I don't think they're counting that as "live coverage"... even though that's exactly what it is. "Video coverage" would have been a better term. As VG247 is live blogging this as well.

I made a thread last year and we were all watching live coverage and commenting. It was as live as it's possible.

Red UFO

specialguy said:
Seems unlikely they'll debut Doom4 and nobody is filming live even...course I'm still hopeful though.

Actually, the reason they could not be live streaming is that they want to get out a full HD version out, instead of watching it on a rocky live stream.

Dai101

Banned
qhucr.jpg

THE FUCK? They're really giving this as a prize?

TommyT

Teknopathetic said:
Did you read that link? They were just reposting what Carmack was saying on the actual live video feed. It says as much.

subversus said:
I made a thread last year and we were all watching live coverage and commenting. It was as live as it's possible.

Saw the timestamps and thought it was just a live-blogging of it.

Red UFO

derFeef said:
Or do both.
Maybe they want your first time experiencing the footage to be perfect? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the first time a developer has done something like that.

Dai101

Banned
specialguy said:
Dude those trucks are SOOOO frickin nice. Like 50k trucks. Top of the line.

Yeah i know, that's why it really caugth my attention. I'd buy one if i have the cash

TommyT

Dai101 said:
THE FUCK? They're really giving this as a prize?

Last year they gave away 2 cars... totaling ~$110,000.

specialguy said:
Dude those trucks are SOOOO frickin nice. Like 50k trucks. Top of the line.

I don't think Hennessey gives their prices on their site, but from what I know about the Camaro upgrades the total cost of that truck I'd *think* is a bit more than just $50,000.

Here's what I could find on it. : ~$75,000.

"Yeah i know, that's why it really caugth my attention. I'd buy one if i have the cash"

Quakecon is legendary for a few reasons, one of them because it was the first gaming event to give away a serious prize, one of Carmack's Ferraris.

Nathan Grayson:
He said "antistropic filtering"! Raise your hand if you know what that is. I barely even know what a hand is.

Really..?

subversus

Damn, this liveblogging is atrocius

Nathan Grayson: He said "antistropic filtering"! Raise your hand if you know what that is. I barely even know what a hand is.

/pukes

I'm tuning out of that one too.

subversus

Nathan Grayson: Talking the transition to Xbox. Started off at half detail, because it wasn't optimized. So, short version, they optimized it. Long version: what he's saying now.

idiot.

Chaos

http://twitter.com/#!/quakeconcvg

"The keynote with Carmack is being recorded for broadcast later. Check back for updates on that"

8:52

Nathan Grayson:
Virtualization of texturing. Texture blocks. Loading directly from DVD or hard drive would cause "significant lag."
8:53

Nathan Grayson:
The solution was a second-layer cache! Of course! How could I have been so blind?

Ok that one was actually a little bit funny.

specialguy said:
Ok that one was actually a little bit funny.

i lolled and inbe4 carmack is dvd fanboy.
Why isn't there a audio stream someone punch a journalist and say to put up a audio stream.

uugh big mandatory install for ps3 version?
Twisting Sony's arm to let them use more onboard memory. "Just a few more gigs."

Dai101

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah i know, that's why it really caugth my attention. I'd buy one if i have the cash"

Quakecon is legendary for a few reasons, one of them because it was the first gaming event to give away a serious prize, one of Carmack's Ferraris.

Yeah. I remember the Ferrari. It's just i has been too disconected of the Quake scene for a while (and that i really like that truck, i'm still amazed)

This is pretty boring watching this thing update every 5 minutes.

If i had any brains I'd go back to sleep and come back for the recorded vid in a few hours (course they'll botch that too, "it got delayed till tmrw!"). But then I'd miss the big Doom reveal :/

specialguy said:

If i had any brains I'd go back to sleep and come back for the recorded vid in a few hours (course they'll botch that too, "it got delayed till tmrw!"). But then I'd miss the big Doom reveal :/

Hope they upload the trailer within the next 2 hours because i need some sleep for tomorrow.

subversus

specialguy said:

there won't be any reveal. they have to promote Rage.

subversus said:
there won't be any reveal. they have to promote Rage.

Probably not, we're just hoping.

The one thing that makes me wonder is, as far as I know they have not denied Doom4 being there, which if it wasn't, they would. They just havent said anything at all that I know of.

TommyT

Nathan Grayson:
Reactive rendering. Slowly scales the resolution usually. But if something unexpected happens, things go wonky.

Was wondering if he'd talk about this. Some pretty interesting stuff they were/are doing with to make sure it's 60fps and looking forward to seeing how the general gaming industry reacts to this 'feature'.

Something like that (dynamic resolution) was already done in Wipeout HD for one that I know of. It's not unheard of.

Carmack tweeted that Rage maintains 720P "almost all the time" so I'm not too worried.

subversus

TommyT said:
Was wondering if he'd talk about this. Some pretty interesting stuff they were/are doing with to make sure it's 60fps and looking forward to seeing how the general gaming industry reacts to this 'feature'.

in English it sounds like this:

The game drops resolution when it can't maintain 60 fps.

Nathan Grayson FTW!!

Teknopathetic said:

I'd say CPL was more legendary. X3 vs NiP.

Too bad Angel Munoz drove CPL to the grave.

TommyT said:

wipeout hd does it on ps3.

Go carmack hope microsoft and sony enforces it next gen
Graphics do still matter, he added. But they decided to up their frame rate. Most games go 30. They went 60

TommyT

subversus said:
in English it sounds like this:

The game drops resolution when it can't maintain 60 fps.

Well yeah, but was looking forward to hearing some more details about it. And like I said, interested in seeing what people have to think about it (and have to say after they've seen it in action).

Top Bottom