• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

Ulchie

Banned
spats said:
Does the liveblog guy have ADHD? He's talking about dinosaurs and his coffee. Can't be that hard to repost what Carmack is talking about. I'd understand if he was funny but he isn't.
He is far too stupid to hold what Carmack is saying in his mind long enough to relay it. Definitely a terrible live blog. Should have had somebody who at least understood was anisotropic filtering was to live blog for a Carmack talk ffs.

Carmack is spending a lot of time bemoaning how long it takes to make a game now.

I think the only solution is engines. Look forward to even more Unreal 3/4 domination in the future, basically imo. I mean not for Id obviously, but in general.

Deadbeat

Banned
Im done with the live blog my brain is melting. When will his keynote video be uploaded? I thought they were gonna stream this on youtube.

Deadbeat said:
Im done with the live blog my brain is melting. When will his keynote video be uploaded? I thought they were gonna stream this on youtube.

never we are getting trolled harder then the bf3 E3 stream thing.

Ulchie

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Ya, it's clear this dude has no idea what rasterizing is. He didn't even spell it right.

StuBurns

Banned
TommyT said:
Dev budgets for similar games (however you want to define that) is what I'd be interested in.
It's hard to say without knowing more about Rage than we do. I guess Borderlands is the nearest comparison in scope, I don't know how much it cost, Take Two tend to be pretty good about strongly getting behind a project they green light in terms of budget.

But Rage's budget would also include the construction of idTech 5, that's an investment that'll reduce the cost of generations of id titles, probably more of ZeniMax's studios, so it'd be unfair to compare it's production with Borderlands.

Deadbeat

Banned
dragonelite said:
Cant blame him he is a game journalist.
WaLnQ.png

Not a bad idea actually
Wants to go back and mess around with old consoles. "All right, team, you're gonna write an Atari 2600 game!" Says it would be a useful lesson in programming.

Not sure but it used assembly right?

GrayFoxPL

Wants to go back and mess around with old consoles. "All right, team, you're gonna write an Atari 2600 game!" Says it would be a useful lesson in programming.

Holy cow! RAGE is coming to Genesis and Super Nintendo!

54-46!

Ulchie said:
He is far too stupid to hold what Carmack is saying in his mind long enough to relay it. Definitely a terrible live blog. Should have had somebody who at least understood was anisotropic filtering was on there to live blog for a Carmack talk ffs.
I saw it.

Nice second dev doing it if they keep their promise.
Cliffy B said so after Gears 3 they wont release a game again without dedicated servers now let the people also rent server plox.
"Our future games will have dedicated servers."

StuBurns said:
It's hard to say without knowing more about Rage than we do. I guess Borderlands is the nearest comparison in scope, I don't know how much it cost, Take Two tend to be pretty good about strongly getting behind a project they green light in terms of budget.

But Rage's budget would also include the construction of idTech 5, that's an investment that'll reduce the cost of generations of id titles, probably more of ZeniMax's studios, so it'd be unfair to compare it's production with Borderlands.

But this generation doesnt have much left so...I guess they'll use it on Doom 4. But then it'll be on to Id tech 6. Two years?

StuBurns

Banned
specialguy said:
But this generation doesnt have much left so...I guess they'll use it on Doom 4. But then it'll be on to Id tech 6. Two years?
Carmack said idTech 6 will be the first time they don't start from scratch because it's too costly, it'll be an iteration of 5.

specialguy said:

Dont know i think he will keep Id tech 6 for when he thinks hardware is good enough to support voxels.

":lol and why is that?"

Because there's nothing substantial to it? It's not a competitive FPS game mode, it seems to me like it's mostly co-op and vehicle stuff. I'm like #1 Dedicated Server champion and even I'm not bothered by this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vehicles don't demand the same precision that FPS games do and Dirt 3 with 8 players was completely lagless. Dedicated servers would just be wasted there.

luka said:
Yeah I don't think anyone is looking forward to Rage for it's MP.

ok didn't knew they focused on SP.

edit: I hope Quake5 comes out in the near future so we get an awesome multiplayer game from id again.

Quake2 is still my favorite

TommyT

Teknopathetic said:
Because there's nothing substantial to it? It's not a competitive FPS game mode, it seems to me like it's mostly co-op and vehicle stuff. I'm like #1 Dedicated Server champion and even I'm not bothered by this.

I hope this is the general attitude that will be had with it.

- I'm trying to convey some more thoughts/reasons behind it but can't do so without getting myself in trouble. So I'll just leave it at that and a general questioning of what people interested in RAGE are thinking of the MP.

ElRenoRaven

So haven't caught up but guess what steam now has. Doom & Quake package on sale and it Includes Quake 4. Nice to finally see it getting the love it deserves and being included in the package. They didn't even include it in the Summer Sale package.

30 bucks for the pack which includes over 15 games.

Saty

10:58 Nathan Grayson: Doom 4. A guy asked about it!

10:58 Nathan Grayson: Year of RAGE. "Don't really have anything to say about it." Thursday

10:59 Stephany: GAH!

10:59 Nathan Grayson: Scales to 60 FPS on PC. RAGE guys all moving over to Doom. Still "hoping to do RAGE 2," though.

Why can't they just say before the Con that we shouldn't count on anything about Doom 4 and save us the trouble?

bee

match killed esr what a surprise, insane pg aim by tox on dm13 then lg aim on furious heights, truly different league as toogood said

TGMIII

bee said:
match killed esr what a surprise, insane pg aim by tox on dm13 then lg aim on furious heights, truly different league as toogood said

ESR runs off a hamster on a wheel these days. Also what's the deal with people going crazy over dedicated servers, it's like developers take away what should be standard and then re-add them expecting people to be happy/grateful.

StuBurns

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"How much could have possibly cost to build?"

Well they're hosting all the servers and storing player stats.
If their business model doesn't bring in enough to even support it running, it seems pretty flawed. I see plenty of ads on the service, it even has forced fifteen seconds ads before games.

It's a shame it hasn't been a hit for them, it was a really bold move I thought.

D_N_G

There was Doom 4 news, just not a lot. Carmack confirmed there is an active dev team and they are looking at 3 year cycles for all new releases. He stated some of the RAGE devs were being allocated to Doom and some to Rage 2. He almost spilled the beans with some more info, but held back because of Zenimax legal and because he didnt want to endager the Doom 3 source release.

Top Bottom