• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

D_N_G

StuBurns said:
If their business model doesn't bring in enough to even support it running, it seems pretty flawed. I see plenty of ads on the service, it even has forced fifteen seconds ads before games.

It's a shame it hasn't been a hit for them, it was a really bold move I thought.

he said the issue was that the in game ad companies all folded and they have to rely on standard web ads which were far less lucrative. the feeling was that subscriptions were not doing as well as expected, but he thinks that with the right advertisement and marketing they could keep it going. he also said it really wasnt costing a lot to keep it running and it wasnt currently worth the resources (dedicated to other things) to evaluate the current situation

Grayman

Strenx v Cypher on Hectic was exciting. I hadn't seen that map before because of the pay wall.

Doom 3 source will be nice, hopefully the Q4 updates to netcode and shit too.

TommyT

Ok, just got back (with a free shirt that was acquired by reaching over a small girl) and got to get my hands on the PC version.

I asked what kind of hardware they were using and the booth people said they weren't told much. However you can see in the case and I was able to see what looked like an EVGA 560 Ti. I've got a buddy working the booth tomorrow and will see if I can get some more specifics. They have 4 PC set ups, and probably 20 consoles set up.

Textures: You can tell that they had to use some tricks to make this run solid on the consoles involving the textures. Whenever you move your head to view something off screen, you will get a low-res version of the texture followed by the higher-res texture very quickly being filled in. I don't know the technical term for this.

I guess I should have prefaced that I'm not graphics whore, but I really like the way the game looks. The open worlds look great, and those textures up close look fine with nothing to scoff at.
- to that, I was told that the game hasn't gone gold yet and there is still some code tweaking going on with how some of the texture stuff is being handled.

I never noticed the resolution drop to keep framerate, however I didn't really get anything going on screen to make it drop.

The demo has a few things you can play. Some of the mission based stuff, racing, and just the game from the beginning.

I only got to play about 15 minutes. Played a quest level where you go into a
circus fun house and take out clowns and all kinds of stuff nightmares are made out of
and the combat is really fun even with a few weapons and ammo type (shotty, machine gun, and pistol).
I saw a guy playing the racing game and was having some issues getting to the physics. I just got to drive a quad for a bit, and while it might just have been the setup, the mouse wasn't involved at all as you go to third person view when driving and the vehicle control is all keyboard. You can boost, and I saw the guy had some weapons going on during the race he was in.

If anyone has any specific questions I will try to answer, but won't be around a computer much. I'll be back out there tomorrow to hopefully get some more play time.

Aside - checked out BYOC to see some of the casemod stuff when I noticed a group of guys playing with their shirts off, in headbands, and gathering a crowd. They should not have had their shirts off... :lol

StuBurns

Banned
I just want to know about the basic feel, fundamentally how is the combat with kbm? They've mentioned designing the game for consoles, does it feel as refined as you'd like? Does it feel like a console port in terms of UI and encounter design? You say fun, which is certainly good to hear, but anything else?

Could you highlight a game that feels most similar?

Grayman

TommyT said:
Ok, just got back (with a free shirt... small) and got to get my hands on the PC version.

I asked what kind of hardware they were using and the booth people said they weren't told much. However you can see in the case and I was able to see what looked like an EVGA 560 Ti. I've got a buddy working the booth tomorrow and will see if I can get some more specifics. They have 4 PC set ups, and probably 20 consoles set up.

Textures: You can tell that they had to use some tricks to make this run solid on the consoles involving the textures. Whenever you move your head to view something off screen, you will get a low-res version of the texture followed by the higher-res texture very quickly being filled in. I don't know the technical term for this.

I guess I should have prefaced that I'm not graphics whore, but I really like the way the game looks. The open worlds look great, and those textures up close look fine with nothing to scoff at.
- to that, I was told that the game hasn't gone gold yet and there is still some code tweaking going on with how some of the texture stuff is being handled.

I never noticed the resolution drop to keep framerate, however I didn't really get anything going on screen to make it drop.

The demo has a few things you can play. Some of the mission based stuff, racing, and just the game from the beginning.

I only got to play about 15 minutes. Played a quest level where you go into a
circus fun house and take out clowns and all kinds of stuff nightmares are made out of
and the combat is really fun even with a few weapons and ammo type (shotty, machine gun, and pistol).
I saw a guy playing the racing game and was having some issues getting to the physics. I just got to drive a quad for a bit, and while it might just have been the setup, the mouse wasn't involved at all as you go to third person view when driving and the vehicle control is all keyboard. You can boost, and I saw the guy had some weapons going on during the race he was in.

If anyone has any specific questions I will try to answer, but won't be around a computer much. I'll be back out there tomorrow to hopefully get some more play time.
Is movement an always run type or does the game have a sprint button that runs down a bar?

TommyT

Grayman said:
Is movement an always run type or does the game have a sprint button that runs down a bar?

Damn, you caught me before my edit :lol

You're 'walking' rather fast, however pressing the Shift key allows you to run. I didn't see any meter that was draining as you ran. I didn't run for extended periods though so I can't tell you if you can run for so long or can just hold it down for unlimited sprint (ala BF: BC2)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
TommyT said:
LOD. And it sounds really nasty. Is it really that common? Bioshock had it to a degree, but it was somewhat acceptable.

DarkChild

Banned
Have you seen console versions?I mean,can we tune PC to look considerably better or is that it?Apart from resolution and AA that is...

TommyT

Funky Papa said:
LOD. And it sounds really nasty. Is it really that common? Bioshock had it to a degree, but it was somewhat acceptable.
Anything that is off screen has this when coming into your line of view. So if you did a REALLY quick 180 everything would have a low-res texture, then be filled in with the high-res one. It was VERY fast, however I was looking for things like this and often was "wiggling" the screen to see this effect on purpose.

So yeah, as things come into your view they're one texture then another higher detailed texture is filled in. Hope that describes it well. I'd imagine that you'd hardly ever have an instance where the entire screen was affected by this and instead would only have it on the edge of the screen where you'd have to be looking for it to see it.

DarkChild said:
Have you seen console versions?I mean,can we tune PC to look considerably better or is that it?Apart from resolution and AA that is...
I saw it, I didn't notice how it was looking or running at all though. I was standing in line watching the PC version. I will have more time tomorrow (hopefully) to get some more details.

Grayman

TommyT said:
Damn, you caught me before my edit :lol

You're 'walking' rather fast, however pressing the Shift key allows you to run. I didn't see any meter that was draining as you ran. I didn't run for extended periods though so I can't tell you if you can run for so long or can just hold it down for unlimited sprint (ala BF: BC2)
So while fast walking you can strafe around while fighting and the shift key does more of a BF style sprint that changes your view/controls/whatever and goes in straight line only fast?

In Doom 3 the guy was slow enough that the limited run ability needed to be used to move around in combat at all.

DarkChild

Banned
TommyT said:
Anything that is off screen has this when coming into your line of view. So if you did a REALLY quick 180 everything would have a low-res texture, then be filled in with the high-res one. It was VERY fast, however I was looking for things like this and often was "wiggling" the screen to see this effect on purpose.

So yeah, as things come into your view they're one texture then another higher detailed texture is filled in. Hope that describes it well. I'd imagine that you'd hardly ever have an instance where the entire screen was affected by this and instead would only have it on the edge of the screen where you'd have to be looking for it to see it.

I saw it, I didn't notice how it was looking or running at all though. I was standing in line watching the PC version. I will have more time tomorrow (hopefully) to get some more details.

Yea,that is problem since tech they developed gives their artists ability to paint lots of layers on top of one mega texture,so pop in is to be expected.

Ok,I hope you get to see console version and post impressions.

TommyT

StuBurns said:
I just want to know about the basic feel, fundamentally how is the combat with kbm? They've mentioned designing the game for consoles, does it feel as refined as you'd like? Does it feel like a console port in terms of UI and encounter design? You say fun, which is certainly good to hear, but anything else?

Could you highlight a game that feels most similar?

Woops, didn't see this.

Last question first - I can't really compare this to any game. Unfortunately I'm not much of a PC gamer with games like this and only have played FPS' on console. I also never played Borderlands so can't really make any good comparison.

The rest of it... I'll need to answer it after tomorrow if I get some more play time. The combat like I said felt fine. I was left paused in a room where I just had to kill whatever was running at me to progress :lol. After that I just restarted the beginning of the demo. UI looks good, bringing up the ammo to mix and match was good as well. If you said this is just a PC game I'd have no problem believing it.

tl;dr - looks good from what I got to play which is limited. Will need more than the 15min (10 of which was the first of the game it seemed like w/o some of the intro stuff) to give you a better response. I'm sure I'll get to watch/play more than just the PC one as well. Hope that makes sense.

Jeels

What games are playable at the event?

Also, I will be going tomorrow, how do I get a free tshirt? (Tshirt Whore)

teepo

If they'll be releasing a high res pack, I guess I will be waiting. Kind of hard given i Am a hardcore Id fan. I probably won't be waiting

Cannot wait for the prey2 footage.

StuBurns

Banned
TommyT said:
Woops, didn't see this.

Last question first - I can't really compare this to any game. Unfortunately I'm not much of a PC gamer with games like this and only have played FPS' on console. I also never played Borderlands so can't really make any good comparison.

The rest of it... I'll need to answer it after tomorrow if I get some more play time. The combat like I said felt fine. I was left paused in a room where I just had to kill whatever was running at me to progress :lol. After that I just restarted the beginning of the demo. UI looks good, bringing up the ammo to mix and match was good as well. If you said this is just a PC game I'd have no problem believing it.

tl;dr - looks good from what I got to play which is limited. Will need more than the 15min (10 of which was the first of the game it seemed like w/o some of the intro stuff) to give you a better response. I'm sure I'll get to watch/play more than just the PC one as well. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest, if your preference is consoles, why didn't play it on console?

Zeliard

dragonelite said:
Nice second dev doing it if they keep their promise.
Cliffy B said so after Gears 3 they wont release a game again without dedicated servers now let the people also rent server plox.
What a hilarious generation, when things like dedicated servers and FOV options have to actually be announced as features to look forward to.

So, I woke up and yet there no information on Doom 4? What the fuck with this world, anyway?! I want my damn game being announced! COME ON!

Zeliard said:
What a hilarious generation, when things like dedicated servers and FOV options have to actually be announced as features to look forward to.

im gonna rage so hard when console only gamers tout this awesome "new" feature. "modern warfare 2 entitled pc gamers" NEVER FORGET

TommyT

Grayman said:
So while fast walking you can strafe around while fighting and the shift key does more of a BF style sprint that changes your view/controls/whatever and goes in straight line only fast?

In Doom 3 the guy was slow enough that the limited run ability needed to be used to move around in combat at all.

Well my reference to BF:BC 2 was in terms of the sprint mechanic (being able to run faster for an unlimited amount of time it would seem). You don't go third person when you sprint, your guy just raises his hand and moves faster. I don't know if you can sprint in combat, I don't see why not, however you can't sprint and run it would seem. I'll def try that tomorrow for you.

Jeels said:
What games are playable at the event?

Also, I will be going tomorrow, how do I get a free tshirt? (Tshirt Whore)

I saw people playing Brink. They were announcing that they were giving away video cards and Tribes beta codes there. I think there were a couple more booths where you could play other games, don't know what they were though.

shirt - they just threw them out to the audience. They have RAGE, QuakeCon 2011, and other shirts for sale at the event.

Seems like booth numbers are down (for vendors). I even heard one person say it seems they dropped the ball on the booths that are there. I will say that I got there in the closing hour, so those that were there might have been getting ready to close down.

StuBurns said:
Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest, if your preference is consoles, why didn't play it on console?

No real specific reason other than right now, after building a high-end PC, my platform of choice is PC at the moment. Once I can play some on the console versions though I can tell you if I'd enjoy it on any platform or one over the other and why.

- I'm really going to have to take a notepad or something to keep track of all these details this weekend.

Okay, so I got the Doom and Quake Complete Pack, and I have a question (it seemed like the best place to ask).

I am not sure why Steam uses DOSBox to run some of these games, so I downloaded ZDOOM. Is there anyway I can run these games on ZDOOM WHILE Steam detects (and counts playtime) and stuff? Is there no way I can replace the DOSBox that came with the Steam versions with ZDOOM? It's not that big of a deal, but I like when Steam counts my playtime and stuff.

commissar

Well that was some good watching!

Looking forwards to rapha v strenx for the grand finals on the last day :D

not going to watch TDM tomorrow as I used 15% of my bandwidth cap watching the duel sets already lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Still waiting on that keynote... :(

The Mana Legend said:
Okay, so I got the Doom and Quake Complete Pack, and I have a question (it seemed like the best place to ask).

I am not sure why Steam uses DOSBox to run some of these games, so I downloaded ZDOOM. Is there anyway I can run these games on ZDOOM WHILE Steam detects (and counts playtime) and stuff? Is there no way I can replace the DOSBox that came with the Steam versions with ZDOOM? It's not that big of a deal, but I like when Steam counts my playtime and stuff.
Nope.

edit: I stand corrected. I guess there is no steam protection dll for games that use dosbox.

The Mana Legend said:

I think you could extract the ZDoom files into the main Doom folder for you Steam version and rename the executable to dosbox.exe or whatever Steam uses to Launch it and it'll work.

Rickenslacker said:
I think you could extract the ZDoom files into the main Doom folder for you Steam version and rename the executable to dosbox.exe or whatever Steam uses to Launch it and it'll work.

That worked beautifully! Thank you very much. I hate dosbox more than anything.

Truespeed

The QuakeCon YouTube channel is a fucking joke. The Carmack keynote has still not been posted. How can you not post the mother fucking crown jewel of QuakeCon. The legendary Carmack keynote is the Lombadi, Stanley Cup, Larry O'Brien and Green Jacket of championship keynotes. It's the state of the graphics union and if those idiots forgot to record it, like they did in 2010, I swear I will fly down there and take an aluminum bat to that tangerine colored Barbie truck.

/rant over.

[HP]

Funky Papa said:

It's not LOD, it's texture streaming / buffering.

LOD'ing is when you see objects pop-up and change detail when you move.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
[HP] said:
It's not LOD, it's texture streaming / buffering.

LOD'ing is when you see objects pop-up and change detail when you move.
There is also texture LOD. But yeah, considering that texture quality improves itself without moving the camera it's clearly a buffering issue. I hope my SSD avoids it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Funky Papa said:
There is also texture LOD. But yeah, considering that texture quality improves itself without moving the camera it's clearly a buffering issue. I hope my SSD avoids it.
I doubt PC will have the issue.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
damn, they wanted to make a dev console available on consoles but MS + Sony didn't allow it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
wow, after all these years reading GAF, technical articles on the web and twitter dev chat I finally understand what he's talking about...

Top Bottom