• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

hawk2025

This is possibly the best integrated live action cutscenes to gameplay ive seen. Im loving the episodes so far, and the narration of James, from his perspective explaining his story. Its so well executed,

God damn Remedy, youve done it again. Bring on Alan WAKE 2!!!!!!

That's one thing I disagree with completely.

It would have been a categorically, massively better paced and presented game with the story bits from the live action show integrated smoothly into the game as regular cutscenes, like any other videogame out there. The 20 minutes breaks and the fact that they are live action add nothing to the game, IMO.

GavinGT

Banned
That's one thing I disagree with completely.

It would have been a categorically, massively better paced and presented game with the story bits from the live action show integrated smoothly into the game as regular cutscenes, like any other videogame out there. The 20 minutes breaks and the fact that they are live action add nothing to the game, IMO.

I agree. The show didn't at all feel like a natural extension of the game. Part of the reason is it focused on characters we hardly see in the game. But I think another part is that the sets rarely matched up with the environments from the game. This would have been incredibly costly to do, since the game environments were no doubt built years before the show was filmed. So they end up filming everything in close-ups and hoping you don't really notice.

It would've taken a high level of coordination to really make this hybrid game/show thing work. For instance, I think we can all agree that those Monarch outfits look ridiculous in real life. But you wouldn't know that unless you created the final outfits and did some test footage fairly early in development. Then they could go back and change the game outfits as well, finding something that worked for both game and show.

I agree. The show didn't at all feel like a natural extension of the game. Part of the reason is it focused on characters we hardly see in the game. But I think another part is that the sets rarely matched up with the environments from the game. This would have been incredibly costly to do, since the game environments were no doubt built years before the show was filmed. So they end up filming everything in close-ups and hoping you don't really notice.

It would've taken a high level of coordination to really make this hybrid game/show thing work. For instance, I think we can all agree that those Monarch outfits look ridiculous in real life. But you wouldn't know that unless you created the final outfits and did some test footage fairly early in development. Then they could go back and change the game outfits as well, finding something that worked for both game and show.

In theory it doesn't sound like a good idea, but while playing I feel like it added to the lore much like the info you find scattered throughout that isn't necessarily focused on Jack's objectives. In a way it feels like the show is a bonus feature, so you have the game dedicated to Jack and the show for the other characters. I can understand why it's divisive but in my opinion it worked waaaayyy better than I expected it to.

Well I am now in a ball crying on the floor.

Just beat the game with 96% completion and almost all upgrades.

Wanted to play on Hard and selected New Game and it erased everything.

What. The. Fuck.

Why would they do this? I guess I'm not replaying it like I hoped. I swear if the next games uses your previous save I am gonna fucking freak out.

What. The. Fuck.

Why would they do this? I guess I'm not replaying it like I hoped. I swear if the next games uses your previous save I am gonna fucking freak out.

There is a warning when you start a new game that it will overwrite all your previous process.

What. The. Fuck.

... You can just select the timeline, and replay any act you want. Rip old save.

I got my American Nightmare code for preordering Quantum Break overnight. Still waiting on the PC code for the game itself. :(
I should have known better, and just waited for it to launch on the Windows 10 store. This is agony.

Squire

Banned
One question: My controller is doing this pulse thing? The games making a sound and the controller is rumbling with it. Why?

I'm in Act 2, of that matters.

One question: My controller is doing this pulse thing? The games making a sound and the controller is rumbling with it. Why?

I'm in Act 2, of that matters.

That means there is either a time rewind or a Chronon Source (upgrade pick up) nearby, pop your Time Vision and you'll see an indication.

Vitor711

Just finished chapter 4, have to say it's pretty average for me. The enemy variety is non-existent as well as the range of weapons, aiming is straight up bad and the live action stuff is the definition of meh. The time powers are the saving grace of the combat - you can do some pretty cool stuff but they could have gone even crazier. The "puzzles" in the game are basically non-existent. Even the sound design while good, has some mixing issues. I was expecting this to be one of the best sounding games ever but it falls short unfortunately.

It's a solid game, but I was expecting better.

Going into the slow-mo aim after a dash while the enemy is talking has great sound design. Lots of reverb and slowing down of audio, it was a great touch. It's the only part that stood out for me though.

Also, the aiming is straight up trash. The Xbone controller has awful deadzone issues and the game is laggy as hell - here's a test: Pan your camera all the way to one side for a few seconds and then flick it the other way. You will hear the analogue stick hit the other side of the pad almost a full second before the character starts turning in the opposite direction. It's awful. Shame, since I adore Remedy games usually. The shooting in Alan Wake felt better than this but, then again, that game never needed you to be precise. This one really does.

Episode 1. It isn't working with a huge budget, but I think many people are selling it short. It looks pretty good, has some pretty decent action beats, and I particularly love that it focuses on the other side of the story. My only real narrative gripe is that
Liam is very quick to believe Beth and go against Monarch. I'm willing to bet there's a narrative reason he immediately believes her, but I do think we needed to see at least more of a hint of it now to make it feel a little less clunky.

Edit: And I love how act 2 opens in relation to episode 1. Digging the hell out of this structure so far.

MBison

I just started this and got a quantum ripple which told me that the next episode of the tv show would be different

I haven't even seen any tv show

How does that happen? Do I have to download 75 gigs cause yeah no.

Finished the game now. Loved it. I could take or leave the TV show, but the main plot had me hooked. Definitely plan on doing a second playthrough to make different choices.

Anyone else using the Elite controller with this game? I'm and let me tell you it makes the gameplay even better I love how all the abilities work

I just started this and got a quantum ripple which told me that the next episode of the tv show would be different

The tv episodes automatically start streaming once you finish an act of the game, the download isn't required.

Dominator

Just play the game. After every Act is an episode. If you don't download them they just stream.

Just finished the game. Enjoyed it quite a bit although the ending seemed a bit abrupt. I guess I just wanted a lot more. The game had such an amazing build up, pretty much on the edge of my seat the whole time.

On that subject though, without going into too much detail/spoilers, do the decisions you make have a drastic impact on the game. For some of them I can kind of imagine what the other outcome would be but does the story really change that much and are there multiple endings that come from that?

GavinGT

Banned
Ok I finished act 1 and it went straight to more game play as Paul? Is that correct? I don't want to miss tv lol

It's after the short junction thing with Paul. Junctions are always before the shows and they are basically decisions that change how the show plays out.

Also, if you hit the Back button (the View button if we're being technical) on your controller, you can access a "timeline" that lets you jump back to any point in the game.

Lima

Didn't even notice. Why would they even allow this?

All my love for this game just got flushed. I am never touching it again. Thanks Remedy. Smh

New game means new game. There is also warnings and this concept isn't exactly new. Countless other games do it this way. Some people man smfh.

derFeef

The emails and notes that are specific to him are great. (Narrative Object spoiler)
you get to read his posts on a forum about conspiracies.

He got 3 likes for that! Haha that was hilarious.

"It's a time machine!"
"Ffffuuuck ooff! ..... I mean, that was my second guess at well."

He is pretty much Barry Wheeler. Whenever he had dialogue, I just sat there and laughed my ass off.

He got 3 likes for that! Haha that was hilarious.

"It's a time machine!"
"Ffffuuuck ooff! ..... I mean, that was my second guess at well."

He is pretty much Barry Wheeler. Whenever he had dialogue, I just sat there and laughed my ass off.
So funny to think that he was the star of the game at one point. I wonder if they had Nick as a character back then? Either way, it's really cool that they kept Sean Durrie in the game, and gave him such an awesome role.

derFeef

So funny to think that he was the star of the game at one point. I wonder if they had Nick as a character back then? Either way, it's really cool that they kept Sean Durrie in the game, and gave him such an awesome role.

Yeah, nothing against Shawn, but I think he has a more memorable expression and more character. Also,
most people would miss him due to the Hardline decision

ee9195bd6953290042a0be62c4d8042d

Animator

I am really enjoying the story so far. Pretty sure I am at the end of the game and can't wait to see what happens. This will be the rare time I will restart a new playthrough straight after beating the game because I can't wait to see how the alternate choices play out.

WadeitOut

GOTY so far for me. Actually really liked the episodes. The combination of Shawn GOATmore, Gillen, and Lance Reddick reminded me of the most underrated show of all time. Fringe.

GavinGT

Banned
Well he's referring to actual changes in the Act, like in Act 2 which exchanges a whole character. So yeah, für such stuff you pretty much have to replay the Act.

Oh, is that where this Nick character comes in? He follows you around in Act 2 instead of the flat-butt protester girl?

What. The. Fuck.

I've had it happen to me on my second playthrough while reviewing. I've mentioned it in my review. I've posted about it here several times. It sucks, but at least the warnings were out there for you. :p

For what it's worth, it's not an overly long game. Just replay it and use a guide for the collectibles.

drotahorror

How do you change the difficulty? I went to the timeline but didn't see an option. Maybe it's because it's only act 3 or something and I'm playing as a different character and this act doesn't have a difficulty setting.

GavinGT

Banned
How do you change the difficulty? I went to the timeline but didn't see an option. Maybe it's because it's only act 3 or something and I'm playing as a different character and this act doesn't have a difficulty setting.

You can choose an act from the timeline and it'll prompt you to change the difficulty.

Top Bottom