• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

I feel like I'm saying "Xbox, take a screenshot" every other section of the game:

2GO7dQs.jpg

GoEaiJI.jpg

BKGTZDh.jpg

sySaqtS.jpg

KingV

Gotta love the "subtle" Microsoft product placement in the TV show.

I also noticed when Jack picks up a phone in Act 2, it was a windows phone. It's very brief but you can see the layout of the screen for a second or two and notice it has windows phone UI.

oatmeal

Banned
Finished Act 2 but didn't make the choice yet.

Game is awesome. It's Alan Wake + Until Dawn + inFamous.

Great combo. Probably not as fun the second time.

Graphical issues (XBONE) are strange and give me flashbacks to the 360/PS3. There's so much on screen to distract that it's not an issue.

Finished Act 2 but didn't make the choice yet.

Game is awesome. It's Alan Wake + Until Dawn + inFamous.

Great combo. Probably not as fun the second time.

Graphical issues (XBONE) are strange and give me flashbacks to the 360/PS3. There's so much on screen to distract that it's not an issue.

I can't remember the last time I played a game that had me going from "Man, that face/hair doesn't look too hot" to "Holy shit, I need to screencap/record this" so frequently. Fortunately I'm beginning to have enough fun that I'm happy to go along for the ride, the weirdest thing is, and this is a compliment - I want to know what happens next in the TV show as much as I want to play the next Act.

EDIT:
Is there a way to hide my screenshots from the public feed? I'm taking way too many and I don't wanna spoil shit for others

Unless there's something in settings that stops screen shots being automatically uploaded to your feed, you'll have to take them down manually. Xbox App will be quicker than doing it on the Xbone imo

T.O.P

Banned
Is there a way to hide my screenshots from the public feed? I'm taking way too many and I don't wanna spoil shit for others

Lima

"Jack we have to go. Jack shouldn't we hurry?"

Look bitch I know time is of the essence here but Ima finish reading this email about a boring screenplay okay?

Zedox

I can't remember the last time I played a game that had me going from "Man, that face/hair doesn't look too hot" to "Holy shit, I need to screencap/record this" so frequently. Fortunately I'm beginning to have enough fun that I'm happy to go along for the ride, the weirdest thing is, and this is a compliment - I want to know what happens next in the TV show as much as I want to play the next Act.

EDIT:

Unless there's something in settings that stops screen shots being automatically uploaded to your feed, you'll have to take them down manually. Xbox App will be quicker than doing it on the Xbone imo

I know my friends are like wth is up with all these screenshots? I also feed the same about the show. I like to watch and see what happens, I grab some grub and drank like I'm binge watching. I'm just sad that I know I'm near the end. :(

Grisby

End of act 4, :(

I feel like this is one of the better video game stories this year. Or at least I'm way more invested in it. Damn fine work Remedy.

Hope it ends with a bang. I really want to see what
the end of time looks like.
They were warned IRL.
Which made that detail all the more interesting.
Yeah. Part 4 of act 4 is something.
Emo Beth
, or Ubisoft presents
The Division Beth.

Certinty

Stupid question but how do I download Alan Wake? I have the downloaded version of Quantum Break and on the store it asks me to buy Alan Wake.

ShutterMunster

I hope Remedy gets to do another one, so they can expand on the gameplay, but they've got to pull the TV stuff out (spin it into is own thing) and bring someone in to help Sam with the writing.
Qa86eMI.gif

buxyq58.gif

I hope Remedy gets to do another one, so they can expand on the gameplay, but they've got to pull the TV stuff out (spin it into is own thing) and bring someone in to help Sam with the writing.
Qa86eMI.gif

Gotta disagree. I actually like the TV show and would love to see one integrated into an Alan Wake sequel as well.

timlot

Banned

I didn't mind the tv stuff so much, but I would have rather in been done with real time graphics. They looked good enough to pull off.

Theorry

Yeah Beth character is really good.

Act 4 and ending stuff.
Felt truly sorry for her when you arrive 11 years later.. You really notice she had given up and then dies also horrible. Think that has also to do with the facial animations. Its really good and you notice every little emotion. Btw the reason that she waited for 11 years was because of what Jack whispers in her ear at the ending/beginning right?

Grisby

On last tv episode (act 4 one) now. The music at the
Lifeboat
part was fantastic. That should have been used in a trailer or something.

I know a lot of reviewers had complaints about the TV stuff and how it focused on the background characters, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I've actually grown to enjoy it and I wish there would have been something like this for Alan Wake.

It has pacing problems and I still feel like there might have been a more elegant way to incorporate it into the game, but it's fun.

When you think about it, this tv show stuff is kind of insane.

Just finished Act2 last night, watched Ep2 and did a little of Act 3 because i wanted to, you know, actually play the game :(

Wife keeps mocking me about it as well IE: "do you ever get to play it?" She loves seeing Lance Reddick tho and wondering what he's doing here...

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should just skip the episodes for now as it REALLY feels like the flow of the game is thrown off.
Like others have said, it seems like there just isn't enough actual action/gameplay distribution going on here. This is further compounded by the copious amount of emails and what not to read.

WadeitOut

Just finished Act2 last night, watched Ep2 and did a little of Act 3 because i wanted to, you know, actually play the game :(

Wife keeps mocking me about at well IE: "do you ever get to play it?" She loves seeing Lance Reddick tho and wondering what he's doing here...

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should just skip the episodes for now as it REALLY feels like the flow of the game is thrown off.
Like others have said, it seems like there just isn't enough actual action/gameplay distribution going on here. This is further compounded by the copious amount of emails and what not to read.

You are the gamer. You get to decide. Don't watch the episodes or read the emails on the first play through then?

This is actually a good example of why some people absolutely love Alan Wake, and others don't.

Grisby

Wife keeps mocking me about at well IE: "do you ever get to play it?" She loves seeing Lance Reddick tho and wondering what he's doing here...

I'm heading into Act 5 and there have been longer stretches of gameplay, but I do think they leaned on the 'give the player a chance to breathe' side too much.

Unless Act 5 is an all out brawl, I can see one of my chief complaints being not enough firefights. An arcade/horde mode thing would be fantastic, as I absolutely love messing with all the time powers.

Seems my save is gone. After weird lighting issues not going away I played something else then came back to QB and my only option now is to start a new game. Fucking lame. Glad I'd gotten through the game and found everything but I'm still pissed. I wanted to do hard with all the upgrades purchased. Sigh.

WadeitOut

Seems my save is gone. After weird lighting issues not going away I played something else then came back to QB and my only option now is to start a new game. Fucking lame. Glad I'd gotten through the game and found everything but I'm still pissed. I wanted to do hard with all the upgrades purchased. Sigh.

Saves are in the cloud unless you played entirely offline. I would hard reboot and see if you get a profile sync this time.

You are the gamer. You get to decide. Don't watch the episodes or read the emails on the first play through then?

This is actually a good example of why some people absolutely love Alan Wake, and others don't.

But I adore Alan Wake though because the majority of the time, you're engaged in the actual gameplay, with some small breaks to wander off and take in the world.

I do completely agree with you though in that I'm the gamer and it is up to me to decide how I wanna play the game :)

Gestault

The last thing I want to do is gunk up the review thread with "reviewer X's opinion is RONG!" but after listening to the Giant Bombcast from the 5th, I'm honestly confused by some of Gerstmann's reactions, including specifically calling out QB for being the one Remedy game for a canonically valid reason for bullet time, and not having it. To which I ask if he ever aimed during/after the dash, which activates bullet-time.

I love this combat so much. Having the time powers on separate cooldowns structures it for some great chains, especially once you unlock the more frequent uses per tick.

ShutterMunster

I didn't mind the tv stuff so much, but I would have rather in been done with real time graphics. They looked good enough to pull off.

The TV show, as it's constructed and implemented, is borderline useless. They've admitted as much. "You can skip it!" Well, if I can skip it, why does it exist? Because you guys really like TV? That's fine, if you want to make a TV show, do it right and give it its proper respect.

The television show doesn't enhance the gameplay sequences at all, it doesn't add to that game's narrative. Burke's story is ridiculous, Charlie's arc is better, but that isn't saying much. Remedy has pitched the TV show as a separate story, but it's not quite that and it isn't really married to the game story either. It should not be sandwiched inside the game. They should have spun it out into its own thing that you watched before the game. The show needs more money and a better script (That's the lifeboat? Really?).

As of right now the highest compliment I can give the TV show is that it gives me a break from combat, which is fun, but repetitive. There's too much good TV out there for me to give this a pass. Maybe 10 years ago...

Strootman

Yeah Beth character is really good.

Act 4 and ending stuff.
Felt truly sorry for her when you arrive 11 years later.. You really notice she had given up and then dies also horrible. Think that has also to do with the facial animations. Its really good and you notice every little emotion. Btw the reason that she waited for 11 years was because of what Jack whispers in her ear at the ending/beginning right?

she waited for 11 years because she knew that jack would have come to take the RC

Gestault

The TV show, as it's constructed and implemented, is borderline useless. They've admitted as much. "You can skip it!" Well, if I can skip it, why does it exist? Because you guys really like TV? That's fine, if you want to make a TV show, do it right and give it its proper respect.

The television show doesn't enhance the gameplay sequences at all, it doesn't add to that game's narrative. Burke's story is ridiculous, Charlie's arc is better, but that isn't saying much. Remedy has pitched the TV show as a separate story, but it's not quite that and it isn't really married to the game story either. It should not be sandwiched inside the game. They should have spun it out into its own thing that you watched before the game. The show needs more money and a better script (That's the lifeboat? Really?).

As of right now the highest compliment I can give the TV show is that it gives me a break from combat, which is fun, but repetitive. There's too much good TV out there for me to give this a pass. Maybe 10 years ago...

I think the show sequences are specifically good for the game's pacing, and giving separate storytelling on the periphery is something I specifically like in games (whether that comes from a book//short/etc). The world reactions to the choice at the end of each act are just noticeable enough to bring in some novelty, and it's been more entertaining overall than I would have expected. You're definitely not alone in thinking it doesn't stack up to a lot of "real" programming out there.

I appreciate what they tried to do here, but by the end of the 2nd Ep., I was also wondering what the point is, other than seeing some delightful scene chewing with Aiden and Lance R.
I'm wondering if it all was some left over obligation that MS needed to fulfill before they just completely abandoned their whole 2013 "tv,tv,tv!" initiative.

I'm mean, where the hell is the Halo/Spielberg produced TV series?

At this point, I'm inclined to just completely restart and focus on the game/Jack's story and then return to the episodes later on...

ShutterMunster

I think the show sequences are specifically good for the game's pacing, and giving separate storytelling on the periphery is something I specifically like in games (whether that comes from a book//short/etc). The world reactions to the choice at the end of each act are just noticeable enough to bring in some novelty, and it's been more entertaining overall than I would have expected. You're definitely not alone in thinking it doesn't stack up to a lot of "real" programming out there.

I look at that as an indictment on the game's pacing more than anything. This structure also made me think of ludonarrative dissonance and if there's any merit to the concept. Am I supposed to care about Burke? I don't. The "He's a goon, but hey his wife is pregnant!"requires more nuanced writing than what's on display here.

Periphery storytelling is cool. It's a bit presumptuous for a new IP, but if the writing is good, the writing is good.

I appreciate what they tried to do here, but by the end of the 2nd Ep., I was also wondering what the point is, other than seeing some delightful scene chewing with Aiden and Lance R.
I'm wondering if it all was some left over obligation that MS needed to fulfill before they just completely abandoned their whole 2013 "tv,tv,tv!" initiative.

I'm mean, where the hell is the Halo/Spielberg produced TV series?

At this point, I'm inclined to just completely restart and focus on the game/Jack's story and then return to the episodes later on...

I don't think so. Microsoft had nothing to do with this, conceptually. They wanted to do something similar for Alan Wake, MS said no. They came back around with it this time and MS said yeah. The TV show was produced by a 3rd party production company. Remedy's got a hard on for TV, they always have.

I do think the TV show muddies the timeline and can make the game narrative harder to follow.

Guerrilla

God, I LOVE this game!
Just a quick question, do you keep your chronon sources for the next playthrough or do you have to collect them all in one playthrough? thinkin about restarting if thats not possible

(sorry if this has been answered already, it probably has, but I'm too scared of accidental spoilers to look for it :()

Very sad that some people actually dislike when a studio tries new things and wishes it was a standard story driven TPS.

Whoa, I didn't say I didn't like it, I'm just really saying that the game's current structure doesn't gel with my actual gameplay schedule (parent with two kids)..... sorry actually if I left that detail out.
That and I just wish there was more for me, the gamer, to do at times :)

After two days trying to pick this game up (apparently there were shipment issues in my area and no one had), I finally got it yesterday. Played through Act 1 last night and I'm having a really good time. Remedy sure knows how to make start their games off strong. I really loved the setting at the start too. Something about fall nights like that do it for me.

Excited to get back to it tonight.

ShutterMunster

Very sad that some people actually dislike when a studio tries new things and wishes it was a standard story driven TPS.

I don't believe in giving people medals for participation. Remedy doesn't get a pass because they tried something new. They're great creators, but they're not above critique. Feel free to @ me next time too. ✌🏾

I honestly think you could almost make that accusation of the genre itself, which is why some sort of style/structure variation is so important.

You may be right. I think Naughty Dog is trying to avoid that by diversifying the gameplay in Uncharted 4. I think ROTTR kind of sidestepped it with the hub layout system and the tombs.

Do you think they gained something by doing these episodes live action and not in engine?

Top Bottom