• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

God, I LOVE this game!
Just a quick question, do you keep your chronon sources for the next playthrough or do you have to collect them all in one playthrough? thinkin about restarting if thats not possible

(sorry if this has been answered already, it probably has, but I'm too scared of accidental spoilers to look for it :()
Collect them all and replay levels. There is no traditional New Game Plus, but you can replay levels with all your upgrades.

Foshy

just finished my first playthrough, knew basically nothing about the game before going in

and WOW i loved it. plot & storytelling in this game is one of the best i've ever seen. i loved the tv series giving more depth to the characters and it's one of the only games where i actually bothered with all the optional intel. the time powers are really fun to use too and there were some fights where everything just flows perfectly and feels so good to play.

honestly one of my favorite games ever and up there with TLoU for me.

one question though: is the ending actually influenced by the choices you take at junctions or does it just change what happens along the way? is it worth playing the whole game again picking all the other choices and will there be a significant difference?

JMPerona

On the beginning of Act 2. I really like the game so long. Very Remedy in its own way. And
the references to Alan wake
... I love them!

Gestault

Do you think they gained something by doing these episodes live action and not in engine?

I'd bet they probably saved a whole lot of money.

There can something stylistic about having the videos instead of game visuals (like how the Night Springs shorts in Alan Wake were slightly more surreal because they were live action), but I don't think that's as strong an argument here.

one question though: is the ending actually influenced by the choices you take at junctions or does it just change what happens along the way? is it worth playing the whole game again picking all the other choices and will there be a significant difference?

The ending itself always plays out the same, it's just changes to the show segments and some little gameplay/tone shifts.

ShutterMunster

I'd bet they probably saved a whole lot of money.

There can something stylistic about having the videos instead of game visuals (like how the Night Springs shorts in Alan Wake were slightly more surreal because they were live action), but I don't think that's as strong an argument here.

The ending itself always plays out the same, it's just changes to the show segments and some little gameplay/tone shifts.

Did they though? You had to hire a completely separate production team, build a few sets, hire a VFX company to handle green screen and additional effects work. It couldn't have been THAT much cheaper. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. It's not like anyone from Remedy or MS is going to come out and say it. I work in film & TV, so I'm familiar with those budgets, but I don't really know how game budgets shake out.

Gestault

Did they though? You had to hire a completely separate production team, build a few sets, hire a VFX company to handle green screen and additional effects work. It couldn't have been THAT much cheaper. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. It's not like anyone from Remedy or MS is going to come out and say it. I work in film & TV, so I'm familiar with those budgets, but I don't really know how game budgets shake out.

I imagine it would be a savings. I made this comment in an earlier discussion when that came up:

Re: the idea of the filmed scenes being extra expensive, I'd actually assume that live-action ends up being more cost effective than high-end real-time/pre-rendered story scenes are these days. The talent/equipment is less specialized, and you're already paying for the actor's time with the way performance capture is treated.

A dev jumped in with some perspective:

That's a very good point.

People seemingly have automatic assumptions that our game is super expensive due to live action and actors. We didnt need the actors for months at all, so we needed them for a lot less time than movies or tv series. Not as expensive as you'd think and even at it's height Remedy was only 130 people working on QB (that's everybody including HR etc :)), which isn't that much. We are pretty frugal in Finland and at Remedy. Sure, our game has a big budget, but far from the other AAA out there.

Actually animating, lighting, planning, rigging, etc etc 20 minute cut-scenes would in many ways have been more complicated and in some ways expensive. We dont have access to tons of awesome animators in Finland or in Scandinavia in general (there is no animation industry here, so there's very little animation being taught in schools). Things like this already shape your game and make us take decisions on what we can focus on in our games and what not. As always.

Very sad that some people actually dislike when a studio tries new things and wishes it was a standard story driven TPS.

Trying new things is all well and good, but it just doesn't work for some people. I don't get what the big issue is. So just because they tried something new it should be automatically liked? Some like the episodes, others don't.

YAY

5vvcqZb.png

Gestault

Bummer. I got super annoyed at Master Chief Collection launch when the new terminals were streaming only (no option to download, either) and weren't working while I was playing. They fixed it soon enough, but it killed the flow while I was actually going through everything.

Cth

It's probably been mentioned already, but for those of us who take our time exploring/looking for collectibles.. it was a nice touch for "realistic" banter/talk pushing you forward in the narrative.

"Trust me, what I'm about to show you is a whole lot more interesting than anything in this lobby.."

followed up by another prompt, instead of the same one

(If I'm remembering correctly)

Gestault

It's probably been mentioned already, but for those of us who take our time exploring/looking for collectibles.. it was a nice touch for "realistic" banter/talk pushing you forward in the narrative.

"Trust me, what I'm about to show you is a whole lot more interesting than anything in this lobby.."

I noticed the same thing about the amount of variation. There's a lot of side-dialogue in this.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the game and a major pet peeve in general. Game has a thousand collectibles with pages and pages of text they want you to read; meanwhile NPCs nag you to move forward constantly, even while you're reading.

"Hurry! This way! Come on! What are you waiting for? Let's go!"..."SHUT THE FUCK UP I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON UNLESS I READ THIS 10-PAGE EMAIL!"

This is one of my biggest gripes with the game and a major pet peeve in general. Game has a thousand collectibles with pages and pages of text they want you to read; meanwhile NPCs nag you to move forward constantly, even while you're reading.

"Hurry! This way! Come on! What are you waiting for? Let's go!"..."SHUT THE FUCK UP I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON UNLESS I READ THIS 10-PAGE EMAIL!"

LOL

We should of done a check and only fired the lines if you weren't in a narrative object. Hindsight and all that :(.

T.O.P

Banned
Also, combat felt good in the first two Act, but as soon as you unlock the Act 3 ability

lawddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I need an Arena/Horde Mode at some point

I got that message twice, and both times I pressed X to retry streaming and it worked fine.

did it multiple times before I had to leave for work earlier, it wouldnt work still. Was getting over 100 mbps download, and around 6 mbps upload.

The first live action one played fine the other day, now at the end of act 2 its not working

dandoolan

Quick question, just completed the game with 94% on normal. But I wish to go through it again making different choices, mopping up the remaining collectables and playing on hard. Am I better off clicking "New Game" or just using the timeline to replay all the acts/parts?

If I use the timeline to replay everything but on Hard, will the achievement for beating it on hard still pop?

I also read some the collectables change if you make different decisions? Is that true? How does that work if I'm just using the timeline?

EvB

Quick question, just completed the game with 94% on normal. But I wish to go through it again making different choices, mopping up the remaining collectables and playing on hard. Am I better off clicking "New Game" or just using the timeline to replay all the acts/parts?

If I use the timeline to replay everything but on Hard, will the achievement for beating it on hard still pop?

I also read some the collectables change if you make different decisions? Is that true? How does that work if I'm just using the timeline?

Do the timeline!

New game literally wipes your save and progress (I bet this is what DF did...)

Hawk269

I don't know, but some of them would have to change because of your choices that you make. There are some emails that makes references to what you have done, so I would think those would have to change.

I am still trying to figure all that stuff out. For example if you chose Hardline in Act 1, you complete the rest of the game, but then you go back and replay just Act 1 and make a different choice, when you decide to restart Act 2 does it change based on your choices in Act 1?

Has anyone calculated how many different versions of the TV show exists based on decisions you make?

Hawk269

Anyone get their Windows code yet? Or are we all just still stuck in limbo?

I have not even received my Alan Wake code yet. I received my American Nightmare code shortly after I pre-ordered, but nothing on Alan Wake or the PC version. I was hoping to get the PC version at launch since I had planned to play Act 1 on Xbox One and make my decision, then play the same Act 1 on the PC version but going the opposite, this way the videos is fresh and I can draw comparisons.

Just beat it. Quite liked the story. I thought the TV stuff was fine though I wish it did crossover with the game in more meaningful ways.

Main complaint is what a lot of people already said - I wish there was more goddamn combat. It felt like it was being drip fed to me.

Still liked it a lot. Just a tad disappointed in that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have not even received my Alan Wake code yet. I received my American Nightmare code shortly after I pre-ordered, but nothing on Alan Wake or the PC version. I was hoping to get the PC version at launch since I had planned to play Act 1 on Xbox One and make my decision, then play the same Act 1 on the PC version but going the opposite, this way the videos is fresh and I can draw comparisons.
I haven't gotten anything except my American Nightmare code, and I pre-ordered months ago :/

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just finished it.

First of all, the shooting was very good. It isn't the best, and the auto cover system got me killed a few times. That said, I felt like a bad ass and really thought I looked cool in a way that Max Payne got very right.

The last boss fight was too much with bad checkpointing, but not as bad as I feared given some comments.

I loved especially that for the most part there were shooty bits, story bits and explory bits and they did a good job of differentiating between them. So I could explore without fear of shooty happening. Made certain areas feel life safe areas I could just read long bits about.

I loved the branching paths, and I loved that I got to influence some plot lines the way I wanted to see them go at the end. I loved the TV episodes. They were well acted, and while they probably could have been done in-engine, I liked the technical work of branching TV episodes, and if I have to sit the controller down to watch, I appreciate it feeling like a TV episode and breaking up the pacing.

Also: PERFECT LENGTH. At no point did I think I was getting too much shooty bits in a row and I never felt the game drag. It left me wanting more, but in the way you want something to. For the love of god, can we kill filler and keep games about this length?

Now, Spoiler stuffs:

I loved the story. It's a time travel story that initially seems insanely complicated with twists and turns, but by the end of it makes a ton of sense and seems very very straightforward. Everything mysterious is explained pretty well, every little tidbit has meaning behind it, and I loved that I cared about the side characters thanks to the TV show by the end.

I didn't fight Burke (I had Paul go insane at the end), but I generally appreciated what was happening and wound up choosing not to have Burke turn on me hoping he would have a heroic death which he sort of did.

Now, things that are not 100% clear to me.

1) Hatch is an ancient time traveler who found a naturally occuring time machine in a cave somewhere. Became a shifter and was working to bring about the end of time because it would be good for shifters for nebulous reasons.

2) Dr. Kim was chronon bombed by Hatch at some point in order to keep Paul Serene going nuts and degenerating in health, and ensure that there was not a "cure" for turning into a shifter.

3) Paul is probably still alive as a shifter in some way.

4) Jack Joyce is a shifter and still has hope that he can change the timeline in some way, but there is no proof that this is possible.

5) The world very may well have ended anyway. Paul may have seen the end of time in all actuality, but it was at a different point in time than he thought. This could explain why Paul was surprised that the stutters were picking up in pace sooner than expected. They weren't ready for the end of time yet. Dr. Amaral convinced him to trigger the lifeboat earlier than anyone had initially thought that it would happen, potentially because this was not the "end of time" stutter, but an earlier stutter.

6) Hatch knows Jack Joyce needs medical attention. He also knows that Serene is out of the way now and he runs Monarch. The Countermeasure is destroyed. So, if he can create a second rupture there is nothing stopping the end of time from occurring? Also explains why he killed a shitload of Monarch people on his way out, but never tried to hurt Jack. He has insight into the multiverse and time in a way we don't, and he knew that Jack would deploy the countermeasure and kill Paul, giving him what he ultimately wanted, i.e. bringing on the end of time where there are more shifters. This also allows the "can't change what happened" to persist. Paul had already traveled back in time from the end of time, so that loop needed to be closed in an effective way in order to actually bring about the permanent end of time without a life boat out there of people working to eventually correct the end of time and bring things back to normal.

Some of these seem to be that king of "open to interpretation on purpose" ending stuff, but thats kind of my take on how it wrapped up with a giant "room for a sequel" caveat that was definitely happening at the end there.

Top Bottom