• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

dt2

Banned
Just finished the game (10.5 hours). I've always loved Remedy games and they did not disappoint! I'm definitely planning on going through the story at least a couple more times. The gunfights are AMAZING!

Z5HEpey.gif

Well the game gives you all these cool abilities so it doesn't really make sense for someone to play it as a cover shooter.

It depends which abilities you use more. Grenade and time freeze would work a lot better with actual cover...

Charlie and Fiona are so, so bad.

Burke is just regular bad.

I'm sorry, the TV show is simply terrible. Onwards to act 4!

I was OK with the quality (production values), but the writing for episode between Acts 4 and 5 was just insane. Not a single decision made by any character made sense :)

The cover only exists this game recharge health and abilities. None of the abilities work well in cover. How could anyone think this is a typical cover shooter?

Astounding. I honestly respect him a bit less now.

The cover only exists this game recharge health and abilities. None of the abilities work well in cover. How could anyone think this is a typical cover shooter?

The game is kind of similar to Max Payne 3 in that regard, it also had a cover system, but it was only there for you to heal and get your bearings.

Ragona

Somewhere in Act 2 atm and holy shit the game blows me away. I love the storyline, the asthetics, the gunfigts.
Remedys games always feel very unique and after while their games might always lack a few % to being masterpieces, they certainly join my Hall of Fame after this.

Also, did anyone else get Half-Life vibes in the opening scenes?

That's definitely NOT true. In fact as I mentioned before grenade and time freeze are kind of useless if you are trying to move around really fast.

Hawk269

I am playing on Hard and taking my time. Been taking a ton of screen shots and looking in every nook and cranny. I am about 14 hours into the game and just Started Act 4, Part 1. I have died according to Achievements 54 times so far. I am not the greatest game player and certain engagements took me a few tries. I also tend to fight from distance, but been getting more up close as I get further in the game and using more of my powers to really engage the enemy more up close.

Even though I have not finished the game, it is really one of the best games I have played in a very long time. While there is some blurriness and some technical things that I wish it did not have, but what they have pulled off with all the effects, lighting and animation/character models is just breathtaking. It is really a tour de force in the visuals because it is not just flat lighting or gimmicky special effects, the stuff in this game is just surreal in the effects and what they do when you engage your powers.

Story has been fantastic and if there was any game that would merit replays it is this one. With the choices you make and the differenct things that can happen, I see myself playing it through a few more times...I most likely will do my replays on Normal difficulty. I have been righting down my choices so when I replay I will go opposite of what I did for the first playthrough.

Still wating for my PC code as I would love to play it through, especially after a few patches to fix some of the PC issues. Again, while I am not done, easily my GOTY so far and overall for visuals, I do have to say I think it is the best looking overall game on the Xbox One, closely followed by Ryse: Son of Rome.

Christ, watching the GB quicklook that just went up was painful. But illuminating, I guess. It certainly explains why Jeff didn't like the game; he was trying to play it as a cover shooter.

At one point he was lamenting the lack of blind-fire, in what must be one of the most impressive displays of missing the point in recorded history.

I clipped out the section where he's complaining about the powers and cover system if people don't want to scroll through the 50 minute video.

https://streamable.com/4jg1

I'm in chapter 2 of act 2 and I think I regret buying the game already. It just isn't gripping me so far. I loved Max Payne and liked Alan Wake but my initial impressions of QB aren't great.

I finished it and I'm kinda lukewarm to it, I don't regret buying it, but man this had so much more potential then it reached.

GavinGT

Banned
I've played through this game twice now and I totally agree with everything Jeff said in his review, on the Bombcast, and in the Quick Look. And I would agree with his 2/5 score if I wasn't such a sucker for exploring Remedy's worlds, even if there's very little to explore in this game. It's such a fucking bummer coming off of Alan Wake, where they knew they were making a linear experience but there had to be substantial space to explore off the beaten path.

MacBosse

I've played through this game twice now and I totally agree with everything Jeff said in his review, on the Bombcast, and in the Quick Look. And I would agree with his 2/5 score if I wasn't such a sucker for exploring Remedy's worlds, even if there's very little to explore in this game. It's such a fucking bummer coming off of Alan Wake, where they knew they were making a linear experience but there had to be substantial space to explore off the beaten path.

Wasn't Alan Wake at some point kind of open world?

The choices hopefully get better but I don't know why you'd deliberately (act 1 choice)
make shit way harder for your character when you're controlling the bad guy

WadeitOut

You keep repeating this complaint. Nothing ever shown or advertised made it seem like it was anything other than a linear story driven game. It's like criticizing NBA2K for not having a homerun derby mode. You're playing the wrong game

It took me 10 minutes in to realize this was a cover based shooter. Jeff is not immune to video game derp. No one is.

GavinGT

Banned
You keep repeating this complaint. Nothing ever shown or advertised made it seem like it was anything other than a linear story driven game. It's like criticizing NBA2K for not having a homerun derby mode. You're playing the wrong game

It took me 10 minutes in to realize this was a cover based shooter. Jeff is not immune to video game derp. No one is.

It's more like criticizing NBA2k2 for not including the modes that were in NBA2k1. Remedy has only made linear shooters, but not this linear. It's clear that their focus was just stretched too thin with other stuff.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That's definitely NOT true. In fact as I mentioned before grenade and time freeze are kind of useless if you are trying to move around really fast.

That is not true. When moving around just stop and use time freeze and your are shielded(in "cover") and throw a time bomb and continue moving.

I clipped out the section where he's complaining about the powers and cover system if people don't want to scroll through the 50 minute video.

Haha holy shit this is exactly what I feared Jeff was playing like going by his review and now it's been confirmed, the dude literally plays it like any other cover shooter and complaining about no blindfire while making little use of dashing to move around. WHY ISN'T THIS GAME ENOUGH OF A COVER SHOOTER!!!

Still love ya, Jeff.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It's more like criticizing NBA2k2 for not including the modes that were in NBA2k1. Remedy has only made linear shooters, but not this linear. It's clear that their focus was just stretched too thin with other stuff.

No, it's like criticizing a game for not doing what a prior game (not a sequel) from the same developer did.

There is no expectation that Remedy keep making the same sort of game.

WadeitOut

You do realize this game was never billed as a sequel to Alan Wake in any way right?

And anyone who thinks this game honestly deserves to be in the category of 4/10 scored games is nutty.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That is not true. When moving around just stop and use time freeze and your are shielded(in "cover") and throw a time bomb and continue moving.

The bubble shield effectively turns any area of the game into cover. I maxed that shield out first and it allowed me to get into all kinds of shit then regen straight away no matter what dumb ass situation I got into.

WadeitOut

The bubble shield effectively turns any area of the game into cover. I maxed that shield out first and it allowed me to get into all kinds of shit then regen straight away no matter what dumb ass situation I got into.

A god send in Act V Part 1.

Go back and play Max Payne 1 and 2. They're linear as can be, as much as Quantum Break. It's only Alan Wake that is wide linear and that's mostly down to starting off as open world.

Nowise10

Guys, I've been trying to do the final boss on Hard for over an hour and a half now. I don't think I've even gotten the boss down to half health yet. Am I missing something? Having to waste 40 seconds in loading screens after every death is getting frustrating too.

I don't understand the red bombs? Is the only possible way to survive them to do the time sprint? I die from them everytime, because i literally have zero idea how t counter it, or what it even is.

Gwyn

"in real life one would hold the gun and just shoot this guy right here......"

???
i thought this was a video game
I will never understand how someone in gaming media reviewing games can be this BAD. Can't imagine him reviewing a souls game

Haha, oh dear. The moral of this story is to never trust the opinions of a man who shits on Yoshi's Island. This is what too much Stree Overlord and Four Loko does to a person.

Oh my! Explosions + a nice punch and kick in the face.

I thought it was pretty fucking amazing but now I'm not so sure. Apparently you never feel awesome and the powers don't flow together.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. That's sad. Makes me wonder if other reviewers who rated it low played the same way. It certainly is not a cover shooter. You're a dead man if you stay in cover too long. As mentioned cover is for grabbing a second of regen or hiding behind to plot an attack. You can launch some time stops and blasts from it but after that you have to move move move.

Just got to Act 4. While the game is fun and I'm enjoying the power it comes with, I feel like they could have made it so much better after this many years. All the encounters even in Hard mode feels way to easy. Is there any other modes after I beat Hard?

If this game had allowed modding on the PC it'd be amazing. I remember having so much fun playing the Matrix/Kung Fu Mod for Max Payne 1 and 2...

Just finished it.

First of all, the shooting was very good. It isn't the best, and the auto cover system got me killed a few times. That said, I felt like a bad ass and really thought I looked cool in a way that Max Payne got very right.

The last boss fight was too much with bad checkpointing, but not as bad as I feared given some comments.

I loved especially that for the most part there were shooty bits, story bits and explory bits and they did a good job of differentiating between them. So I could explore without fear of shooty happening. Made certain areas feel life safe areas I could just read long bits about.

I loved the branching paths, and I loved that I got to influence some plot lines the way I wanted to see them go at the end. I loved the TV episodes. They were well acted, and while they probably could have been done in-engine, I liked the technical work of branching TV episodes, and if I have to sit the controller down to watch, I appreciate it feeling like a TV episode and breaking up the pacing.

Also: PERFECT LENGTH. At no point did I think I was getting too much shooty bits in a row and I never felt the game drag. It left me wanting more, but in the way you want something to. For the love of god, can we kill filler and keep games about this length?

Now, Spoiler stuffs:

I loved the story. It's a time travel story that initially seems insanely complicated with twists and turns, but by the end of it makes a ton of sense and seems very very straightforward. Everything mysterious is explained pretty well, every little tidbit has meaning behind it, and I loved that I cared about the side characters thanks to the TV show by the end.

I didn't fight Burke (I had Paul go insane at the end), but I generally appreciated what was happening and wound up choosing not to have Burke turn on me hoping he would have a heroic death which he sort of did.

Now, things that are not 100% clear to me.

1) Hatch is an ancient time traveler who found a naturally occuring time machine in a cave somewhere. Became a shifter and was working to bring about the end of time because it would be good for shifters for nebulous reasons.

2) Dr. Kim was chronon bombed by Hatch at some point in order to keep Paul Serene going nuts and degenerating in health, and ensure that there was not a "cure" for turning into a shifter.

3) Paul is probably still alive as a shifter in some way.

4) Jack Joyce is a shifter and still has hope that he can change the timeline in some way, but there is no proof that this is possible.

5) The world very may well have ended anyway. Paul may have seen the end of time in all actuality, but it was at a different point in time than he thought. This could explain why Paul was surprised that the stutters were picking up in pace sooner than expected. They weren't ready for the end of time yet. Dr. Amaral convinced him to trigger the lifeboat earlier than anyone had initially thought that it would happen, potentially because this was not the "end of time" stutter, but an earlier stutter.

6) Hatch knows Jack Joyce needs medical attention. He also knows that Serene is out of the way now and he runs Monarch. The Countermeasure is destroyed. So, if he can create a second rupture there is nothing stopping the end of time from occurring? Also explains why he killed a shitload of Monarch people on his way out, but never tried to hurt Jack. He has insight into the multiverse and time in a way we don't, and he knew that Jack would deploy the countermeasure and kill Paul, giving him what he ultimately wanted, i.e. bringing on the end of time where there are more shifters. This also allows the "can't change what happened" to persist. Paul had already traveled back in time from the end of time, so that loop needed to be closed in an effective way in order to actually bring about the permanent end of time without a life boat out there of people working to eventually correct the end of time and bring things back to normal.

Some of these seem to be that king of "open to interpretation on purpose" ending stuff, but thats kind of my take on how it wrapped up with a giant "room for a sequel" caveat that was definitely happening at the end there.

I completed the game last night and I agree wholeheartedly with this mini review. Literally took the words out my mouth. What a ride it was. I hear you on the length. It was absolutely perfect and I loved the pacing too.

ElRenoRaven

I will have to say I do have one complaint about Junction 3.

So The first time though I picked to side with the doctor over hatch. The 2nd time here I'm siding with Hatch yet other then a few seconds it plays out the same. What's the point of choosing Hatch if ultimately he still sides with the doctor? Doesn't that kind of make that choice a waste? I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it leads to something more later but I doubt it after watching the episode.

It's ok for people to dislike a game. It happens. Sometimes you fall on the smaller percentage of common opinion and sometimes totally opposite of the majority of players.

Nowise10

Alright I finished the game after that confusing final boss.

Game is still my GOTY currently. Ammmmaazzzzingggg amazing game. Such a unique experience I don't think I'll encounter again for quite some time. Amazing actors, too.

EBE

done my second playthrough now.
i think Alan Wake is far and away the better game. better written with a more developed story and characters and honestly, a better playing game, too. enemy evasion and resource management on higher difficulties makes QB look its always got training wheels on with its power cooldown times.
i also believe Alan Wake made better use of the tv show structure with better constructed chapters and chapter transitions. similarly, its heavy use of in game collectibles in the form of Wake's manuscript pages were better thematically integrated into that game than they are in QB (reading emails every 20 ft on randomly discarded cellphones and tablets is a weird gameplay conceit that breaks immersion and suspension of disbelief somewhat).

QB is okay, but its no AW.

Having a blast with the game, but it should be harder. Playing on hard feels pretty normal.

Also, normally agree with Jeff on a lot of stuff, but he definitely got this one way wrong. The game is not a cover shooter, and should not be played as such.

Foshy

I will have to say I do have one complaint about Junction 3.

So The first time though I picked to side with the doctor over hatch. The 2nd time here I'm siding with Hatch yet other then a few seconds it plays out the same. What's the point of choosing Hatch if ultimately he still sides with the doctor? Doesn't that kind of make that choice a waste? I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it leads to something more later but I doubt it after watching the episode.
haven't done 2 playthroughs yet but i chose
to trust hatch, and even though he realizes very soon that hatch isn't on his side he still doesn't trust amaral after that, and it's made especially clear in episode 4.
then again i don't know what happens when you pick the other option

Top Bottom