• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

imBask

Banned
If you only check the star count on Giantbomb and don't understand how subjective reviews are, it's your own damn fault.

Are you for real? No I am not joking at all. Simple math dude come on do not let me down.
I think the reason he's uncertain is because the topic of discussion is review scores, and in that regard, awarding a game with a 10/10 is the same as rewarding it a 5/5. It's the highest possible score, on two different scales.

They're not fractions. 5/10 does not mean half. It can mean terrible, average, disappointing, but it's not objectively a score for "average" games. In fact its almost universally used for below average games. It's all about the system or the mindset the reviewer is using. People understand numbers, but perception and implication around those numbers is what is important because that's what readers understand.

For example, if a game is good but then gets a sequel that is still just as good but doesn't build off itself or improve in interesting way, the reviewer could go from an 8/10 to a 6/10. The quality may not be worse as the math says so, it could entirely be an emotional thing.

I don't even know what your argument is anymore. Is it that review scores are subjective? Is it that review scores are different on a per reviewer basis? Is it that reviewers score on a curve? Is it that gamers perceive a score curve and this is a problem?

My original point was that a 2/5, a 4/10, and a 40/100 are mathematically the same exact score. If one wants to perceive each of those scores as different then they simply do not understand math.

This is inarguable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are you for real? No I am not joking at all. Simple math dude come on do not let me down.

Pay attention to this thread bruh, since it exists here as well...

2/5 for some reason doesn't translate to 40/100 for me. I know % wise it does, but I don't feel like it's as negative. That said, still a very low score, and I have a hard time believing the game is that disappointing.

But you know... let's shift the convo the Uncharted.

GavinGT

Banned
I haven't read any of the reviews. How's the exploration compared to Alan Wake? My favorite part of Alan Wake is being able to futz around and explore these large, well-realized worlds. I imagine it's not as good this time around since this game didn't start as open-world.

papo

I think the reason he's uncertain is because the topic of discussion is review scores, and in that regard, awarding a game with a 10/10 is the same as rewarding it a 5/5. It's the highest possible score, on two different scales.

Yes and that is my point. The Uncharted 3 thread had people arguing that 10/10 is not the same as 5/5 and for real that made me laugh because that's like something you learn in 3rd grades right? That was what I was referring to.

It baffles me that someone can come out and argue against that.

Pay attention to this thread bruh, since it exists here as well...

But you know... let's shift the convo the Uncharted.

I haven't followed every page, but I didn't see it here. I just saw it from the linked U3 thread. But my points still stands.

You've got to be joking....

So I'm gonna tell you more about math and simple division and how it works

10/10 = 1

5/5 = 1

It's the same. in both cases the game is a perfect score.

What is not the same is the scale they used to review the game on.

If the reviewer using a 5 poitns scale wanted to give the game a score of 9/10 he would have used a 10 point scale.

Is this post for real? You do realize that reviews are very subjective? :)

I find interesting that Until Dawn is perceived as great and one of the best PS4 exclusives, while this game might end up being some kind of a dissapointment because being good isn't enough. But judging only by the numbers they are both equally good (different genres aside).

I understand why Until Dawn was a surprise and why people expected (more points?) from this game but still, perception seems that is going to end up being different for both games while having the same scores.

shandy706

Why isn't there a rottentomatoes of video games. It's either fresh or it isn't.

Fuck this squabbling over a 2 points on a 100 point scale.

I'd be all for a "buy/rent/don't buy" even.

Haha, how would the "new" Tomatocritic of the reviews work?

Everyone Gets a Raise/Good Job Here's a High Five/You're all Fired

ethomaz

Banned
This is how Giantbomb describe their star review scale.

5 - While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.
4 - Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.
3 - The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.
2 - This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.
1 - This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on.

Reading the review QB is a 2/5 start.

Karak

I haven't read any of the reviews. How's the exploration compared to Alan Wake? My favorite part of Alan Wake is being able to futz around and explore these large, well-realized worlds. I imagine it's not as good this time around since this game didn't start as open-world.

None.

I'd be all for a "buy/rent/don't buy" even.

Exactly why I chose that for my channel. Though I used buy, wait for sale, rent, dont buy

I don't even know what your argument is anymore. Is it that review scores are subjective? Is it that review scores are different on a per reviewer basis? Is it that reviewers score on a curve? Is it that gamers perceive a score curve and this is a problem?

My original point is that a 2/5, a 4/10, and a 40/100 are mathematically the same exact score. If one wants to perceive each of those scores as different then they simply do not understand math.

This is inarguable.

My argument was that math and fractions are irrelevant to review scores as scores are done on emotion and not math. If one wants to perceive those scores as different it is perfectly valid to do so because they are not the same score, they do not mean the same thing, and they are not in any way related to one another due to the subjectivity of review scores and the lack of actual meaning the numbers have without context of a review.

So no, its not inarguable because you're applying math to something that isn't math.

Basically yeah my argument can be all of those things as it's all relevant to why math isn't really relevant to review scores.

I find interesting that Until Dawn is perceived as great and one of the best PS4 exclusives, while this game might end up being some kind of a dissapointment because being good isn't enough. But judging only by the numbers they are both equally good (different genres aside).

I understand why Until Dawn was a surprise and why people expected (more points?) from this game but still, perception seems that is going to end up being different for both games while having the same scores.

I'm not sure why we're mentioning Until Dawn in this thread.

Yes and that is my point. The Uncharted 3 thread had people arguing that 10/10 is not the same as 5/5 and for real that made me laugh because that's like something you learn in 3rd grades right? That was what I was referring to.

It baffles me that someone can come out and argue against that.
Okay so I think maybe everyone responding to you (including myself) misunderstood your post. You said here 10/10 is not 5/5 but you were just quoting/paraphrasing what you saw in a different thread

papo

Is this post for real? You do realize that reviews are very subjective? :)

Post is 100% for real.

Are you saying Math is subjective?

And even if reviews are subjective, scores are not and even more in this case. 10/10 is equal to 5/5, perfect score.

Okay so I think maybe everyone responding to you (including myself) misunderstood your post. You said here 10/10 is not 5/5 but you were just quoting/paraphrasing what you saw in a different thread

I did not. Read it again :):

10/10 not equal to 5/5 hahahah wow.

nib95

Banned
I remember the Gerstman twilight princess 8.8 getting similar responses too.

2022215-4dn4ihh.jpg

2022216-o0wri.png

I'm guessing that on average Until Dawn and Quantum Break will get very similar scores. And it seems very logical to me (both games are quite good, but not exceptionally good).

notaskwid

10/10 = 1

5/5 = 1

If the reviewer using a 5 poitns scale wanted to give the game a score of 9/10 he would have used a 10 point scale.

Nobody is disputing that 5/5=10/10... I'm just saying that 5/5 may have a diferent meaning to a 10/10 depending on the review, the same way that two 4/5's might mean different things, or wtv. There is nothing objective or mathmatic about a revieq score, it's just a number thay simplifies what the writer feels about the game.

Post is 100% for real.

Are you saying Math is subjective?

And even if reviews are subjective, scores are not and even more in this case. 10/10 is equal to 5/5, perfect score.

Reviewers don't get a degree in math to write the reviews. It has nothing to do with subjective text that they write and then use some sort of score to align with that TEXT. :)

StoveOven

Banned

10/10 = 1

5/5 = 1

A 5 point scale leaves a lot less room for nuance, which some people like and some people don't. Sites with 5 point scales give more "perfect" scores than sites with 10, 20 or 100 point scales. The reason is because while it might be a 5 on a 5 point scale, it might also be a 9.7 on a 100 point scale. Also, assuming review scores are mathematical is a dumb thing to do

Holy shit! Just seen the Uncharted 3 thread post. That is a thing of wonder!

You couldn't torch some people's neck on here with a blowtorch lol

I did not. Read it again :):
Now you are misunderstanding me. In my post that you quoted, I said that when you mentioned it, you were quoting/paraphrasing what you saw in a different thread.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Interesting. This game is reviewing way, way below what I expected, and I'm sure it's below Microsofts projections as well. Real shame that, according to the Meta, Remedy just couldn't pull this one together to be a system seller.

Time to shuffle some personnel around there, or release them from first party status. 76 on OpenCritic.... Remedy sure as shit ain't poppin' champagne right now.

Anyone know if it's possible to cancel Xbox One digital pre-orders?

A 5 point scale leaves a lot less room for nuance, which some people like and some people don't. Sites with 5 point scales give more "perfect" scores than sites with 10, 20 or 100 point scales. The reason is because while it might be a 5 on a 5 point scale, it might also be a 9.7 on a 100 point scale. Also, assuming review scores are mathematical is a dumb thing to do

okay, let's try out this nuanced review score system out.

someone explain to me how a 9.8 game is better than a 9.7 game

papo

Nobody is disputing that 5/5=10/10... I'm just saying that 5/5 may have a different meaning to a 10/10 depending on the review, the same way that two 4/5's might mean different things, or wtv. There is nothing objective or mathmatic about a revieq score, it's just a number thay simplifies what the writer feels about the game.

That was what I was disputing when I initially posted the comment. The dude in the thread I commented on that was linked here was actually arguing the math part or reaching stupid conclusions.

And I disagree. 10/10 may have a different meaning than 5/5 when you read the actual written part of the review, but by numbers alone they are exactly the same and a perfect score to me means that the game is best it could have been. TO them it might mean something different but it is still a perfect score.

It's all math nothing more. How is this so hard to understand?

StoveOven

Banned
okay, let's try out this nuanced review score system out.

someone explain to me how a 9.8 game is better than a 9.7 game

I think we're on the same side here. I agree that a 100 point scale is stupid and prefer a 5 point scale. My whole point is that extrapolating a 2/5 to mean anything other than 2/5 is a dumb thing to do and undermines the purpose of that score.

vcc

Interesting. This game is reviewing way, way below what I expected, and I'm sure it's below Microsofts projections as well. Real shame that, according to the Meta, Remedy just couldn't pull this one together to be a system seller.

Time to shuffle some personnel around there, or release them from first party status. 76 on OpenCritic.... Remedy sure as shit ain't poppin' champagne right now.

Anyone know if it's possible to cancel Xbox One digital pre-orders?

Not being exclusive problably blunts it's system seller status more.

Catvoca

Banned
I think we're on the same side here. I agree that a 100 point scale is stupid and prefer a 5 point scale. My whole point is that extrapolating a 2/5 to mean anything other than 2/5 is a dumb thing to do and undermines the purpose of that score.

Yep. Jeff tweeted as much recently, it was quoted a page or 2 back.

Apathy

Man I'd be deathly embarrassed if I was one of those quotes.

I remember the Gerstman twilight princess 8.8 getting similar responses too.

Just boils down to fanboys doing fanboy things. They are tied together to a brand or company or series they can't let anyone speak ill of it, even if is warranted.

notaskwid

That was what I was disputing when I initially posted the comment. The dude in the thread I commented on that was linked here was actually arguing the math part or reaching stupid conclusions.

And I disagree. 10/10 may have a different meaning than 5/5 when you read the actual written part of the review, but by numbers alone they are exactly the same and a perfect score to me means that the game is best it could have been. TO them it might mean something different but it is still a perfect score.

It's all math nothing more. How is this so hard to understand?

How is it hard to understand that math can also be perceived subjectively?

papo

Now you are misunderstanding me. In my post that you quoted, I said that when you mentioned it, you were quoting/paraphrasing what you saw in a different thread.

But my orignal post did not quote or paraphrase anything is what I mean. That part was written by me. I was ridiculing the crazy math from the other thread. I guess that's the confusion.

Reviewers don't get a degree in math to write the reviews. It has nothing to do with subjective text that they write and then use some sort of score to align with that TEXT. :)

You know what I don't want to get in trouble or banned, so I am going to drop it. But I cannot believe some of you cannot understand simple math.

I am not saying a 10 point scale is the same as 5, of course not. But in every part of the know universe the both 10/10 and 5/5 mean the thing: a perfect score.

Those numbers, and math do not take into account anything else. Number may mean something else accompanied by the text even more when the review is not perfect, but in the specific case I was referring to 10/10 is the same as 5/5.

And yes score review are mathematical because they are numbers, fractions.

How is it hard to understand that math can also be perceived subjectively?

It's hard to understand because even though some parts of math can be subjective., this simple division is not. 10/10 is always the same result as 5/5 which is 1, which is a perfect score. The parts of math that can be perceived subjectively are not so simple as this division. It is hard to understand something that is not real.

I'm out. I need a break I realle cannot believe this shit. Maybe you are trolling and I'm falling for it so April fools guys

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not being exclusive problably blunts it's system seller status more.
tumblr_inline_o1jpk1B1ae1r34t0l_500.gif

Possibly, but when an amazing game comes out on a competing platform where a consumer was already on the verge, it could easily push them over the edge. It's pretty clear that Quantum Break is not one such game. This could even end up sub-75 Meta as more reviews trickle in, in the coming days/weeks.

Top Bottom