• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Bgamer90

Banned
Not being exclusive problably blunts it's system seller status more.

I honestly doubt it being on PC makes much difference considering games on all three platforms (PC, Playstation, and Xbox) are helping sell current gen consoles the most.

notaskwid

everything can be perceived subjectively.

doesn't make that perception valid or reasonable, but yeah you've got a point.

sometimes, i look at the number 25 and think Toyota Corolla, for example.

You don't have to leave this thread. If Quantum Break was scoring around 85 there'd be a lot more of "great scores, day one" type of posts. If Uncharted 4 scores around that that thread will be much more negative that this one.

But my orignal post did not quote or paraphrase anything is what I mean. That part was written by me. I was ridiculing the crazy math from the other thread. I guess that's the confusion.
that's what i meant when I was saying quoting/paraphrasing. I didn't know what other word to use to describe the way you wrote your post, but yes. That's clearly what's causing the confusion

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Interesting. This game is reviewing way, way below what I expected, and I'm sure it's below Microsofts projections as well. Real shame that, according to the Meta, Remedy just couldn't pull this one together to be a system seller.

Time to shuffle some personnel around there, or release them from first party status. 76 on OpenCritic.... Remedy sure as shit ain't poppin' champagne right now.

Anyone know if it's possible to cancel Xbox One digital pre-orders?

I don't get these posts. 76 is not bad!

Bgamer90

Banned
You don't have to leave this thread. If Quantum Break was scoring around 85 there'd be a lot more of "great scores, day one" type of posts. If Uncharted 4 scores around that that thread will be much more negative that this one.

So the expectations are for Uncharted 4 to do 90+ then?

Mid 80s wouldn't be bad at all in my opinion. If this is how it will be then that's pretty silly.

Gurish

People are not going to meltdown over an 8 for U4, everybody knows reviews are lower this gen, and 8, even for an outstanding GOTY winner game like TW3 is pretty common, I'm not sure we are going to see a meltdown for a sub 90 MC as well, maybe s light disappointment, but high 8 is considered great today, we are way past the "Jeff gave Zelda an 8.8 (even though the MC is still like 9.5), kill him!" days.

But, a score like 5-6 or a 2/5 by a big site like GB or Gamespot for U4 will cause a big meltdown, it's just that now the scale is more balanced and people need an actual low score (and not low compared to the broken scale like 8.8 or 8) in order to freak out, but an 8 will pass without much problems and I'm sure most of us expect a couple of 8's and 7's for U4, it's unavoidable this gen.

Mattenth

OpenCritic's tried the % recommend metric (I'm one of the founders). No one uses it, even when we check it manually and read the reviews to actually go "does this critic recommend this game?"

62% of critics recommend Quantum Break. We read every single review to make sure that our counter matched the intuitive reads of the reviews, and we believe it does.

The issue is just how ingrained scores are in the gaming community. Right now, conversations in the gaming community center on the scores. If OpenCritic wants to be a part of those conversations, we feel like we have to showcase the "average score" or risk fading to insignificance. Everyone has a general sense of what an 84 average game is, and how that differs from a 91 average game, and how that differs from a 73 game. But no one has any clue what a "62% recommended" game is, or how that's different from a "50% recommended" game or "88% recommended game."

We're working now to let critics themselves put in a yes/no to the question of "Do you recommend this game to a general gamer?" But the challenge is getting the broader community to adapt to using that standard.

One advantage of % recommended: it's almost a linear distribution. 62% of critics recommend Quantum Break. Using that metric to rank games, Quantum Break is in the top 37% of games.

But also know that this system does come with disadvantages. It puts heightened focus on that binary point, whereas numeric systems give publications a spectrum. In the world of % recommended, Giant Bomb controls a 2% swing in the metric (with 50 reviews), and it's binary: Giant Bomb either gives out its 2%, or it doesn't. In the world of scores, Giant Bomb can give a spectrum of input.

We would love to switch to Net Promoter / Rotten Tomatoes, but we haven't found a good solution to the challenge of shifting the gaming community's conversation.

I find interesting that Until Dawn is perceived as great and one of the best PS4 exclusives, while this game might end up being some kind of a dissapointment because being good isn't enough. But judging only by the numbers they are both equally good (different genres aside).

I understand why Until Dawn was a surprise and why people expected (more points?) from this game but still, perception seems that is going to end up being different for both games while having the same scores.

Good point. I think it all comes down to the fact that Until Dawn's 79 was a real surprise because, coming off the Order 1886, people were expecting a critical mauling due to it's interactive movie type game play. Conversely the 78 for Quantum Break is seen as disappointing because people were expecting a lot more positive reception. Hell, only yesterday people were predicting 90+ scores based on the leaked Jim Sterling review.

Velkyn

And yes score review are mathematical because they are numbers, fractions.

No one is disputing 5/5 is the same as 10/10, but it's a logical leap to say that 4/5 is the same thing as 8/10. Those are two different arguments to make, and you can't simply say that 4/5 is 8/10 because the numerical score is gleaned from the reviewer's opinion. They wrote it with their scale in mind. That's why you can't simply map the 4/5 to the 10 scale. Sure, you can mathematically, no one would dispute that, but it won't be the same.

Bgamer90

Banned

"7x" looks much worse than "8x" to the average gamer who deeply cares about review scores even if there's only a 2-3 point difference from getting a "7x" to an "8x".

Heh -- it's funny since I think the same can be said for grades overall (e.g.: school grades).

Number psychology.

gamz

No one is disputing 5/5 is the same as 10/10, but it's a logical leap to say that 4/5 is the same thing as 8/10. Those are two different arguments to make, and you can't simply say that 4/5 is 8/10 because the numerical score is gleaned from the reviewer's opinion. They wrote it with their scale in mind. That's why you can't simply map the 4/5 to the 10 scale. Sure, you can mathematically, no one would dispute that, but it won't be the same.

Has it really come to this?

I remember the great Roger Ebert said he hated, hated he had to have a star system. He didn't care about it, and only used it because people like it easy. In short, he said read the REVIEW!!!

Mid 80s wouldn't be bad at all in my opinion. If this is how it will be then that's pretty silly.
I would definitely say so, yeah. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be that high but that's what's expected of them.

papo

Please let this the topic go to rest. I don't wanna get in trouble for kinda changing topic :/

I understand what you mean. I was only referring to 10/10 vs 5/5 and some dude arguing that it is not the same.

I mentioned to that case you borught up that if a guy wanted to rate something as as 9/10 for example or 91 he wouldn't/shouldn't be using a 5 point scale.

Hopefully that puts the issue to rest.

I'm really looking forward to QB and the reviews read to me as if it's a good game. That what we are talking bout here.

Theorry

This thread now.

ehejHeB.gif

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
"7x" looks much worse than "8x" to the average gamer who deeply cares about review scores even if there's only a 2-3 point difference from getting a "7x" to an "8x".

Heh -- it's funny since I think the same can be said for grades overall (e.g.: school grades).

Number psychology.

Well it is worse as is 8x compared to 9x. What I am trying to say is that the consensus is most critics think it is a good game. To cancel pre order based on the negatives mentioned in the review that matter to you a lot ( game length, too many cutscenes etc.. ) is fine but to cancel pre order based on it being few points below 80 seems so absurd to me.

I would definitely say so, yeah. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be that high but that's what's expected of them.

Yeah it is expected and I can understand being slightly disappointed if it does not cross 90 but will you not buy the game you were looking forward to because it is 2 points below 90 ? Do people only purchase games with universal acclaim or something?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
On a scale of 1-100, I agree that 76 isn't bad, but in the video game journalism world, where the average score is about a 71-73/100 (you can find this as fact on Metacritic, where they keep track of individual site average scores), 76 is quite undeniably average. All the numerical gymnastics and rationalizations in the world won't change that fact. Sorry. Quantumn break just didn't review well.

RPGam3r

Threads like these remind me of my time in System Wars, sprinkle some stupid naming conventions and I don't think I could tell the difference.

papo

On a scale of 1-100, I agree that 76 isn't bad, but in the video game journalism world, where the average score is about a 71-73/100 (you can find this as fact on Metacritic, where they keep track of individual site average scores), 76 is quite undeniably average. All the numerical gymnastics and rationalizations in the world won't change that fact. Sorry. Quantumn break just didn't review well.

That makes a lot of sense. I've always said that 70-79 is not a bad score because I do not really go into MC, like 5 times in my life, but I go a lot into IMDB. In IMDB scale a movie that is between a 7-7.9 is actually a great movie, maybe something closer to a 8-9 in MC scale.

Alpende

Even if I had a Xbox One I wasn't about to buy this. Still decent scores though. Seems like a fun game for 20-30 euros or something.

Ricky_R

Why is it that in every review thread for big games people start to analyze and question the purpose/existence of review scores?

Just read the reviews from outlets you trust, read some GAF impressions or try the game yourself if you're confident that it's down your alley.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well it is worse as is 8x compared to 9x. What I am trying to say is that the consensus is most critics think it is a good game. To cancel pre order based on the negatives mentioned in the review that matter to you a lot ( game length, too many cutscenes etc.. ) is fine but to cancel pre order based on it being few points below 80 seems so absurd to me.

Oh no, I definitely agree with you/your point. I was just pointing out how silly it is even though it seems to be the way that many view numbers.

Uncharted 4 inherently has some things going for it compared to Quantum Break. It's inclusion of Multiplayer alone will give it an advantage because people want more meat to games. Not saying that it's a valid thought when it comes to scores, but I can see it getting a few points higher just because of the amount of content.

Good point. I think it all comes down to the fact that Until Dawn's 79 was a real surprise because, coming off the Order 1886, people were expecting a critical mauling due to it's interactive movie type game play. Conversely the 78 for Quantum Break is seen as disappointing because people were expecting a lot more positive reception. Hell, only yesterday people were predicting 90+ scores based on the leaked Jim Sterling review.

Yes I think the same but what I can't... fully grasp is... how do you weight your feelings? I mean, they are both 8 however you are happier with one and not the other, but you weight both games the same. One is coming from a perspective of high happiness and leveled down to... dissapointment I guess and the other comes from irrelevance to super fun... but both are 8s, we analize this with some standard objectivism regarding aspect of the game that must be reached and from there we asign points (or label) but we feel different at the same label for different games based on our feelings or proyections towards them. I do this all the time but just now I'm thinking about it and it feels weird, maybe it'll come to me later today.

Whatever, I'm not sure what I'm talking about.

Yeah it is expected and I can understand being slightly disappointed if it does not cross 90 but will you not buy the game you were looking forward to because it is 2 points below 90 ? Do people only purchase games with universal acclaim or something?
huh? when did you ever see me say I won't get it if the metacritic score isn't up to expectations?

I even said earlier on in this thread that going by the mc isn't always the best way to gauge whether or not you should get the game or will enjoy the game.

generic_username

78 Metacritic is pretty good actually, I've enjoyed games with a hell of a lot lower rating than that. (The Order, for one)

From what I've seen this game seems up my alley, I would be picking this game up if I had an Xbox.

Can someone please tell me how long does it take to beat the game including the tv show episodes? I really need to know Thanks

I didn't really keep tabs of my specific playtime, but I'd guess it took me around nine or ten hours. One of those hours was dedicated to the TV-show.

Since the stats and achievements for this game aren't up yet on XBL, I can't check how many hours I've spent playing it since I got it. I'm in act 4 of my second playthrough now, playing on Hard difficulty and going for 100% completion.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Lol, Maine Coons are the bess

This game looks amazing. Will be #1 when I get an Xbone... if U4 wasn't around the corner I'd probably splurge right now.

Top Bottom