• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

vcc

Sorry, I haven't followed this game in years, but is it still tied in with a TV show somehow?

Game is ~10h long and has almost 3h of live action tv interspersed. In 20m episode after each chapter. Some gameplay changes some details of the show.

the uncharted 4 review thread is my most anticipated thread of the year

hahaha, Christ. I almost wish the game gets middling reviews just so I can be entertained by the meltdowns.

The explination: Don Mattrick was in charge when this game was in the planning phase.

You know, while you have posted this as a joke, I think there might be some truth to that, actually. Wasn't this game announced to work heavily with Kinect, only to get massively retooled years later?

Fjordson

Not too surprising by these reviews, even the negative ones. The whole live action / TV show stuff seemed like a weird idea from the jump. Looking forward to playing it, but not expecting Max Payne 2-level greatness.

yup

it'll score 9's and 10's then whiners will be saying "bu bu bu sonyz paid dem off"
Think he's referring to another 8/10 debacle like with Uncharted 3.

Ashtar

Thanks Coolade glad you liked the review man.
Gonna replay this again actually for a walkthrough and a walking the walk game dev video too. But they told everyone to hold off on the Lets Plays and those are close so the 4th I think.
Hey any word on higher difficulties? I loved dead on arrival in Max Payne and I'd be interested if it offered something similar

EpicBox

People are still banging on about score numbers in 2016? Jeez...

The score cannot tell you:

If the game has great controls but crap story
If the game has amazing level design but repetition to the point of boredom
If the game feels extremely rewarding to play but has voice acting so terrible you'll want to pull your ears off

What if you care about the controls being smooth and tight more than you care about the story and character development? If the reviewer rates the game 9/10 based on the amazing story, the score will not tell you that.

What if you really like a game that is addictive, even if it has bugs? But the reviewer rates it 6/10 because of all the glitches. You'll miss out on a game you might love.

Read the pros and cons chart. You do not need the score. Ever.

Aeana

I doubt it'll be more or less entertaining than any major exclusives review thread, including this one. You only get real fireworks however when there's one outlier review that sticks out like a sore thumb.
You mean like when Eurogamer gave UC3 an 8/10 and half of this forum lost its shit and got banned?

Karak

Hey any word on higher difficulties? I loved dead on arrival in Max Payne and I'd be interested if it offered something similar

I did my typical AI test for the differences checking for enemy AI using the powers more often, flanking, stuff that I do for the reviews and didn't notice much except for a bit better aim, higher life for sure, and the tendency to cover and zip more for the enemies with that ability. If you want a delta I would say that the % harder that the high difficulty was from normal is about 15-20% and no more. Not a huge bump and certainly doable for most with maybe a couple more deaths than normal.

Natiko

Banned
I knew once I saw 2/5 from GB it was going to be a Jeff review. Listening to the Beastcast and Alex seemed fairly positive, but he mentioned Jeff had played it too. Jeff really does seem to rate games pretty low nowadays.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
http://i.imgur.com/mX5Ndsm.gif
Just perfect. Even a junior put Bones back in his place. At least something productive came out this thread. xp

Seriously though, just another exclusive game review thread pretty much with your heavily invested members going apeshit at the low score(s)...

Trup1aya

Sorry, I haven't followed this game in years, but is it still tied in with a TV show somehow?

Game is ~10h long and has almost 3h of live action tv interspersed. In 20m episode after each chapter. Some gameplay changes some details of the show.

More accurately, there's about 80minutes of optional live action scenes per play through, which the users has the option to view in between the games acts. The episodes are viewed from the perspective of the antagonists, and change depending on choices the player makes in game.

So their might be 3hrs of footage, but a fraction of that is interspersed through the playtime.

Justinh

http://i.imgur.com/mX5Ndsm.gif
This is a wonderful gif...
The Darkness is also one of my favorite games. I never got around to Syndicate, because EA practically stealth released it.
I bought Syndicate randomly because it was on sale for like 3 dollars on Xbox Live. I didn't even know who made it. I guess I should give it a better shot.
Fucking Christ, GAF. I'm so embarrassed for some of you right now.
Is this not par for the course though? I still feel fairly new here...

hahaha, Christ. I almost wish the game gets middling reviews just so I can be entertained by the meltdowns.
cS8aosy.gif

Not too surprising by these reviews, even the negative ones. The whole live action / TV show stuff seemed like a weird idea from the jump. Looking forward to playing it, but not expecting Max Payne 2-level greatness.

Think he's referring to another 8/10 debacle like with Uncharted 3.

well we know for sure there are people chomping at the bit to see UC4 get low review scores.

so that thread will get trolled regardless of good or negative reviews

People are still banging on about score numbers in 2016? Jeez...

The score cannot tell you:

If the game has great controls but crap story
If the game has amazing level design but repetition to the point of boredom
If the game feels extremely rewarding to play but has voice acting so terrible you'll want to pull your ears off

What if you care about the controls being smooth and tight more than you care about the story and character development? If the reviewer rates the game 9/10 based on the amazing story, the score will not tell you that.

What if you really like a game that is addictive, even if it has bugs? But the reviewer rates it 6/10 because of all the glitches. You'll miss out on a game you might love.

Read the pros and cons chart. You do not need the score. Ever.
Holy shit, some people are reaching in here...

Bluenoser

2/5 for some reason doesn't translate to 40/100 for me. I know % wise it does, but I don't feel like it's as negative. That said, still a very low score, and I have a hard time believing the game is that disappointing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it is Ls.

The only explanation you'll need:
"Hold dat L to ya chest, son!"

It originally is Mayweather flaunting how much money he has by throwing bills at the camera. This GIF is throwing L's which signifys someone taking a loss, usually because they did/said something stupid.

I saw the L's and I seen the gif before... for some reason I drew a blank... man I need more tea to wake me up I suppose, lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why isn't there a rottentomatoes of video games. It's either fresh or it isn't.

Fuck this squabbling over a 2 points on a 100 point scale.

nib95

Banned
You mean like when Eurogamer gave UC3 an 8/10 and half of this forum lost its shit and got banned?

Yea, but that was the lowest outlier score at the time of the freak out, much like Jeff's 8.8 for Twilight Princess which garnered a similar response. I suspect that more people acknowledge lower scores are more common with this generation of reviews, so I doubt there'll be as much of a freak out, unless of course there's a specifically outlier review.

Velkyn

2/5 for some reason doesn't translate to 40/100 for me. I know % wise it does, but I don't feel like it's as negative. That said, still a very low score, and I have a hard time believing the game is that disappointing.

Well 3 stars would be average on the GB scale (I don't think they hand out zeroes), so 2 stars would be below average but not abysmal.

Some decent reviews for this game, then again I've been interested in this since its announcement back in 2013, because its a Remedy game, Max Payne and Alan Wake were awesome.

Roll on the 5th be getting it on Windows 10, can't wait for the pre-load options in the anniversary update.
Also holy shit at the comments in the review thread for UC3.

Top Bottom