• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

antitrop

I doubt it'll be more or less entertaining than any major exclusives review thread, including this one. You only get real fireworks however when there's one outlier review that sticks out like a sore thumb.
Yup.

eycm36r.gif

Jennipeg

Does 8/10 officially = Terrible now? There is quite an array of scores here but it seems worth playing.

I think an 8 is fine for UC3 personally, i'd probably give it 8.5 and UC2 9.5. If I reviewed games I'd hardly ever dish out a 10.

Edit: I can not stop looking at the gif above, it's hypnotising me!

Does 8/10 officially = Terrible now? There is quite an array of scores here but it seems worth playing.

I think an 8 is fine for UC3 personally, i'd probably give it 8.5 and UC2 9.5. If I reviewed games I'd hardly ever dish out a 10.

It's gotta be a GOAT to be worth my time

currently playing goat simulator

KORNdoggy

So what stage are people at right now? Bargaining?

78 is a decent score, it's just not stellar. Could be worse. Nobody will give a shit in a week.

This. I think remedy got lucky with Max Payne. It was a game of its time, injecting cinematic flair into a medium that never really had it before. But Alan wake crossed the line into pretentiousness imo. It still had OK gameplay, but they put more focus on it being cinematic then they did making the gameplay great. And it sounds like this suffers the same only to a worse extent. They're too involved in making something cinematic to the point of gameplay interrupting live action segments. Or putting all their effort into making time manipulation LOOK really nice but not function in a particularly interesting way. It feels like they're forgetting about what matters most. And the last game I played with similar "issues" was the order 1886. A game that was the very definition of style over substance.

I'm still very curious to play quantum break. But for 6-8 hours (including the live action footage) I'm afraid it's going to have to wait for a price drop.

But I don't think the score is the issue here really. Its almost an 80 on metacritic. The devs can't be disapointed with that. But as hoo-doo said...in a week nobody will even care anyway, so...

2/5 for some reason doesn't translate to 40/100 for me. I know % wise it does, but I don't feel like it's as negative. That said, still a very low score, and I have a hard time believing the game is that disappointing.

i mean that's cool

but it literally, mathematically is the same exact thing.

like, if 2/5 doesn't translate to a 40/100 for you then i'm not sure what 40/100 means to you.

You mean like when Eurogamer gave UC3 an 8/10 and half of this forum lost its shit and got banned?

Never forget the day that Polygon gave TLOU a 7/10

It was salt as far as the eye could see

Prediction: Uncharted 4 is going to get amazing reviews. There will be meltdowns regardless. Both by Sony fanboys and opposing fan boys. The haters are going to hate the high scores and the more extreme ND fans are going to lose their shit at the first low score.

Now back to Quantum Break; having read the reviews in more depth, I can see liking the game quite a bit despite some issues. Look forward to playing it if and when I get the Xbox One.

papo

Found it myself:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32102086#post32102086

This is why people look forward to the UC4 review thread

Wow all that over an 8?!

I'm am going to be in that thread day 1. I hope it get's 8.

Also there that whole 30fps debacle that will add some more posts and PS4K version discussion.

So much can happen in there.

But in general I hope it gets a lot of people banned if they act like they yuge aholes they acted like back for U3. It makes me sad how stupid and pathetic some people can get over insignificant stuff.

i mean that's cool

like, if 2/5 doesn't translate to a 40/100 for you then i'm not sure what 40/100 means to you.

It's not the same thing because ratios do not apply to reviews. They literally are irrelevant. A 2/5 to one reviewer could mean slightly below average and could translate to a 60/100 on a 100 point scale if the reviewer felt like it. A 4/10 could mean extremely terrible and translate to a 1/5 on a 5 point scale if the reviewer felt like it.

People need to realize that review scores are all about emotions and nothing about math.

The positives and negatives at the bottom of an IGN review are just short summations of what was actually written. So "Kratos Sucks" was probably about how he doesn't like Kratos as a character in the game, which i'm sure he wrote about in the body of the review, you know, the most important part you should read before bashing it? Same with Cole's voice, he doesn't like the VO and criticised the game for it. Also, most critics don't take off points for something, they play the game and get a feel for what the score should be. Maybe some technical issues might affect it, but they don't go "I don't like this characters VO, that's minus 2 points!".
the way i interpreted as is if he puts those factors at the end of a review then they are significant factors that determined his verdict. otherwise, why the fuck would you highlight them simultaneously when revealing the score?

Fuchsdh

I doubt it'll be more or less entertaining than any major exclusives review thread, including this one. You only get real fireworks however when there's one outlier review that sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's always a race to find out who will be game reviewing's Armond White.

The reviews put me into the buy column. A short story-focused game sounds great to me, and since the controls at least seem passable I don't think I'll be stuck in TPS hell.

i mean that's cool

Never forget the day that Polygon gave TLOU a 7/10

It was salt as far as the eye could see

Difference is a /5 score can't give you a finer grain of percentages. There's a potential 20-point difference in quality between two games that are 2/5 rated.

Unlike the poster you quoted though I think the usual outcome of that fact is that lower scores in a /5 rating are usually seen as far worse.

It's not the same thing because ratios do not apply to reviews. They literally are irrelevant. A 2/5 to one reviewer could mean slightly below average and could translate to a 60/100 on a 100 point scale if the reviewer felt like it. A 4/10 could mean extremely terrible and translate to a 1/5 on a 5 point scale if the reviewer felt like it.

People need to realize that review scores are all about emotions and nothing about math.
If you think that something is below average but then you give it a 6/10 then you have a fundamentally poor grasp of math and how fractions work

if you want to score things on words and emotions then you can do so without using a number. Kotaku has been doing it for some time now, for example

Servbot24

Banned

I don't think there's any game I would give a 10/10. Metroid Prime and Mega Man X are probably the closest that games have come to perfection, and those still have easily identifiable flaws.

If you think that something is below average but then you give it a 6/10 then you have a fundamentally poor grasp of math and how fractions work

No, because math does not apply to review scores. To a lot of people 6/10 is a terrible score. To others its an average score. It's all about the emotions you feel when giving a score and the perceptions around that score.

No, because math does not apply to review scores. To a lot of people 6/10 is a terrible score. To others its an average score. It's all about the emotions you feel when giving a score and the perceptions around that score.

if math doesn't apply to numbers then numbers have lost all meaning.

if that's the case, the people who do not understand numbers should stop using them until they can fully grasp the function of them

it mostly appears that the people who are having issues with the numbers are the readers and not the reviewers, though, so that's somewhat comforting

Altairre

I don't think there's any game I would give a 10/10. Metroid Prime and Mega Man X are probably the closest that games have come to perfection, and those still have easily identifiable flaws.

This is why 10/10 usually means really fucking good but not flawless because no game is. On a five point scale even more so. Just depends on how you interpret the scale.

if that's the case, the people who do not understand numbers should stop using them until they can fully grasp the function of them

Reviewing videogames isn't math though. Again, that is why different publications assign different meaning to the numbers on the review scale and why metacritic is such a poor way to judge a game's quality. It really isn't that hard to understand.

Servbot24

Banned

I fully support reviews that factor in emotion, but it is the job of the reviewer to communicate to the reader. If they give a game a 7 but in the review they hated it, then they did a bad job of communicating to the reader.

This is why 10/10 usually means really fucking good but not flawless because no game is. On a five point scale even more so. Just depends on how you interpret the scale.

There's no rule that says the 10 must be utilized though. It's perfectly fine if no game is ever awarded a 10.

Jennipeg

I'd give a 10 to Final Fantasy 8..... yeah you read that right. I'm not ashamed!

Ok maybe not, it's my favourite game but has huge flaws. If I had to put a 10 on anything and feel really confident about it, I'd say Journey, or Broken Sword 1, that game is legit.

papo

Ok I am still reading that uncharted thread and now I am just about to burst out laughing at some of those math wizards.

10/10 not equal to 5/5 hahahah wow. They have to be in like 4 grade, or school dropouts right? They can't even understand simple division. OMG. Hoepefully it happens again.

Ok I am still reading that uncharted thread and now I am just about to burst out laughing at some of those math wizards.

10/10 not equal to 5/5 hahahah wow. They have to be in like 4 grade, or school dropouts right? They can't even understand simple division. OMG. Hoepefully it happens again.
Not sure if joking or not.

Servbot24

Banned
I'd give a 10 to Final Fantasy 8..... yeah you read that right. I'm not ashamed!

Ok maybe not, it's my favourite game but has huge flaws. If I had to put a 10 on anything and feel really confident about it, I'd say Journey.

Journey is actually the game that made me hesitate when writing that post.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That Uncharted review thread is one of the most cringiest threads I've ever read on this site.

Pleased to see this game is reviewing well, looks decent enough but will wait on a sale.

They're not fractions. 5/10 does not mean half. It can mean terrible, average, disappointing, but it's not objectively a score for "average" games. In fact its almost universally used for below average games. It's all about the system or the mindset the reviewer is using. People understand numbers, but perception and implication around those numbers is what is important because that's what readers understand.

For example, if a game is good but then gets a sequel that is still just as good but doesn't build off itself or improve in interesting way, the reviewer could go from an 8/10 to a 6/10. The quality may not be worse as the math says so, it could entirely be an emotional thing.

I reviewed the game and quite liked it, but in my opinion the story is kinda meh (even though the characters are pretty nice and there is some excellent dialogue in there) and the ending is lackluster.

Loved the gameplay and TV show, though. If anyone is interested in my review (in Brazilian Portuguese) you can read it here

There's no score in the review, but if I had to grade it I'd give the game a 8.5

notaskwid

Telll me more about the immutable laws of review scoring.

gamerMan

Prediction: Uncharted 4 is going to get amazing reviews. There will be meltdowns regardless. Both by Sony fanboys and opposing fan boys. The haters are going to hate the high scores and the more extreme ND fans are going to lose their shit at the first low score.

Now back to Quantum Break; having read the reviews in more depth, I can see liking the game quite a bit despite some issues. Look forward to playing it if and when I get the Xbox One.

Ya I think Uncharted 4 will get great reviews because the story is better told and feels more connected to the gameplay. With Naughty Dog games you can't really separate the two. Even the Uncharted Remaster reviewed better than this. I think whether you like Quantum Break or not is dependent on the story and it's method of storytelling hasn't resonated with some reviewers.

I knew once I saw 2/5 from GB it was going to be a Jeff review. Listening to the Beastcast and Alex seemed fairly positive, but he mentioned Jeff had played it too. Jeff really does seem to rate games pretty low nowadays.

Of Jeff's last 10 reviews before Quantum Break, he gave one 5-star review, four 4-star reviews, three 3-star reviews, one 2-star review, and one 1-star review.

Considering 3 is considered average it sounds like he's rating games pretty highly.

nib95

Banned
Jeff appears to be the talk of the thread. Pretty sure I mentioned him myself somewhere, but I can't find my post lol. Pretty sure I'm missing lots of posts as well, as I never bothered to go through the entire thread.

Look Jeff can give it whatever score he wants but as far as scores a 4/10 tells me a game is garbage and borderline unplayable. His review didn't indicate that. From what I read a 3/5 score seems more in line from my perspective. The score troubles me a bit.

Look how much attention GB gets by having scores like this.. Just sayin

Sure but games aren't reviewed like that. He knows that. 7 is pretty mediocre and 6 is below dip below 5 and you are in bad territory. He can do whatever he wants but I don't think the 2 lines up with his own write up. That's just my opinion.

any Gerstman review you always round up by one, so basically a 3/5 average game

I like Jeff, but from his review I didn't even feel he cares about actually reviewing the game, which is weird because he is definitely not one of that kind of guy.

Exactly.
Jeff lost his love of the medium a long time ago. Its a shame though because his success means he will be shackled to it.

he's very smart and has lots of interesting analysis on games but he's mostly cynical and jaded as fuck

I'd say that's a fair assessment.

I knew once I saw 2/5 from GB it was going to be a Jeff review. Listening to the Beastcast and Alex seemed fairly positive, but he mentioned Jeff had played it too. Jeff really does seem to rate games pretty low nowadays.

Looking back at his past reviews, I get the feeling that Jeff's not too big a fan of 1st or 3rd person shooters.

Jeff hates videogames.

I hate to be a dick about it, because I actually really enjoy Jeff as a person, but he has opposite tastes to me.

I didn't enjoy Super Mario Maker at all, love Rocket League, and will probably enjoy this.

We rarely align opinions, which is fine.

couldnt agree more.

i go to giant bomb for the personalities. i like jeff the most. i like jeffs opinions on games the least.

no big deal at all

Jeff doesn't like Uncharted, Tomb Raider or Last of Us...

Third person cinematic shooters have never really been his thing

And he never reviewed those games. Why do it now?

Jeff doesn't like linear third person shooters. Likely would have rated last of us similarly as he said he never could get through it.

Memento

I am going to be honest... except for the visual effects, nothing in this game has ever made me get interested on it.

I did not expected sub-80 metacritic though.

papo

Telll me more about the immutable laws of review scoring.

You've got to be joking....

So I'm gonna tell you more about math and simple division and how it works

10/10 = 1

5/5 = 1

It's the same. in both cases the game is a perfect score.

What is not the same is the scale they used to review the game on.

If the reviewer using a 5 poitns scale wanted to give the game a score of 9/10 he would have used a 10 point scale.

Top Bottom