• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

bidguy

Banned
about what i expected. i mean its a remedy game. its never a perfect experience but its always solid. they never dissapoint

reKon

Banned
This thread now.

ehejHeB.gif

I'm on my phone right now and before this gif loaded, I thought this was a real person.

You know what I don't want to get in trouble or banned, so I am going to drop it. But I cannot believe some of you cannot understand simple math.

I am not saying a 10 point scale is the same as 5, of course not. But in every part of the know universe the both 10/10 and 5/5 mean the thing: a perfect score.

Those numbers, and math do not take into account anything else. Number may mean something else accompanied by the text even more when the review is not perfect, but in the specific case I was referring to 10/10 is the same as 5/5.

And yes score review are mathematical because they are numbers, fractions.

Review scores could also be letters and stars. They have nothing to do with math. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp...

You know what I don't want to get in trouble or banned, so I am going to drop it. But I cannot believe some of you cannot understand simple math.

I am not saying a 10 point scale is the same as 5, of course not. But in every part of the know universe the both 10/10 and 5/5 mean the thing: a perfect score.

Those numbers, and math do not take into account anything else. Number may mean something else accompanied by the text even more when the review is not perfect, but in the specific case I was referring to 10/10 is the same as 5/5.

And yes score review are mathematical because they are numbers, fractions.

It's hard to understand because even though some parts of math can be subjective., this simple division is not. 10/10 is always the same result as 5/5 which is 1, which is a perfect score. The parts of math that can be perceived subjectively are not so simple as this division. It is hard to understand something that is not real.

This is very simple but:

The fraction itself is math, but that's just a representation of something else.

What it means as a review score is not anything to do with math though.

Trup1aya

Big Jeffrey bringing the truth

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann

Hmm, if we don't want people to interpret a number, then why attribute a number? If not to be quantifiable, why use such a scale?

If this is his thought process, it seems like his readers would be better suited by an A - F grading scale or simply by giving recommendations.

Edit: just read GBs score guide. And the review certainly reads like 2/5 stars. Considering that guide exists, I can see why seeing a review converted into a MC number would be frustrating, so I think a scale w/o numbers would be better if suited.

vcc

I honestly doubt it being on PC makes much difference considering games on all three platforms (PC, Playstation, and Xbox) are helping sell current gen consoles the most.

Having an another version will have some effect on a titles ability to tip peoples purchasing decisions for a specific platform. I think the effect will be more pronounced as the gen ages as the desire for something new is wearing off and it's more about the games.

FATALITY

Banned
Well, prove me wrong, don't give me a cut scene, only in game during gameplay.

I played TO1886, panned the camera around them and all, QB's models looks better.

lol what you see in cut scene in the order is the same as gameplay. it was one of the things rad was proud about.

Well, prove me wrong, don't give me a cut scene, only in game during gameplay.

I played TO1886, panned the camera around them and all, QB's models looks better.

I don't think you can even pan the camera around the characters in Order 1886? Can't remember.

Doesn't it lock to the back of the character?

Cutscene models were the same anyway though.

zsynqx

I don't think you can even pan the camera around the characters in Order 1886? Can't remember.

Doesn't it lock to the back of the character?

Cutscene models were the same anyway though.

Only when moving. You can turn the camera to face you when the character is still.

Game looks really good! I feel a sting of regret not having an Xbox One so I can play this, but hopefully I will be able to at some point. I'm a fan of Remedy so I wish the meta was higher, but a 76 isn't bad at all especially for a new IP.

Lingitiz

So the expectations are for Uncharted 4 to do 90+ then?

Mid 80s wouldn't be bad at all in my opinion. If this is how it will be then that's pretty silly.

Honestly I think you'll see nothing but disappointment here if Uncharted 4 doesn't score 90+. It's the most hyped game of the entire generation, in a critically acclaimed series, by arguably the top developer in the industry right now. Expectations are extremely high.

All the UC4 review thread anticipation in the past few pages is getting me excited as well. Can't wait for the meltdowns.

drakereviewface.gif
i don't think it'll be that low but it's possible it could be in the 80s. happened with halo, happened with gran turismo, happened with GoW, happened with gow. definitely could happen with uncharted

Gator86

Reviews should only be given in site-specific Z-scores. There should also be separate review threads for people who can discuss the difference between ordinal, interval, and ratio data and people who say shit like "you can't measure fun!"

big fake

Jeff has extremely particular tastes. If anything doesn't pass his quality filter it's automatically trash
maybe that is a good enough reason for you to stop reviewing games when they don't meet your views because of fatigue and being particular. this is so apparent in games journalist. they so easily get tired of games that they skew their thoughts on a game in result.

Nah it's ok for people to dislike things. It's more about his whole demeanour. I watched some of their oculus rift stream the other day and the guy looks like he hates what he does. He doesn't ever smile anymore. It's sad to see, especially when this is a hobby that brings so much joy to so many people.

But anyway, that's for a different thread.

Actually he's lightened up a lot lately. I honestly don't agree with the "Jeff doesn't like anything" sentiment. He likes a lot of games and when he does he shares his feelings.

Anyways, in the end who cares about reviews. I've watched plenty of gameplay recently and have made up my mind about the game.

No, he really should get out of the biz for his own good. He's beyond jaded, and his tastes are so fickle that the reviews mean practically nothing to anyone other than him.

Jeff doesn't like anything huh? Maybe you should read some of his recent reviews

zsynqx

i don't think it'll be that low but it's possible it could be in the 80s. happened with halo, happened with gran turismo, happened with GoW, happened with gow. definitely could happen with uncharted

God of War Ascension
Gears Judgement
Halo 4/5

and so on scored in the 80s because they weren't as good as their predecessors. (At least that is the general consensus. Haven't played Gears/Halo)

Why people suddenly think that because Quantum Break scored lower means UC4 will is beyond me. If you read the reviews they had a number of legitimate complaints, they didn't just lower the score because it wasn't an open world collectathon.

Ofc if Uncharted 4 has any big problems it won't score in the 90s.

big fake

It's very debatable whether they're harmful to the industry. One thing you have to consider however is that it actually gives consumers and critics a lot of power, unlike with the movie industry.

In the movie industry bad films will sell well (see Batman vs Superman) despite bad critical receptions, so regardless of what critical standards they are held to, producers can 'do what they want', and provided they have a popular IP, people will buy into it, even if the movie is offensively stupid.

In the video game industry, review scores have a lot of influence on comercial performance and in turn, can shape what the industry outputs. That then could become a powerful tool in saying no to certain types of experiences, The Order is a good example, where I feel the critical performance ensured that pseudo-interactive cinematic style of game design wasn't pursued further. I feel like similar could be done with features like online only, if a developer pushes all their games out as online only, and critics blast them for that, that feature is likely to disappear very quickly. That's why the critical standard that games are held to is very important though, and unfortunately I think in many cases journalists (collectively) do a terribly poor job in shaping our industry.

This ENTIRELY. Such a travesty this is how games journalism is.

Theorry

God of War Ascension
Gears Judgement
Halo 4/5

and so on scored in the 80s because they weren't as good as their predecessors. (At least that is the general consensus. Haven't played Gears/Halo)

Why people suddenly think that because Quantum Break scored lower means UC4 will is beyond me. If you read the reviews they had a number of legitimate complaints, they didn't just lower the score because it wasn't an open world collectathon.

Ofc if Uncharted 4 has any big problems it won't score in the 90s.

That Halo 5 scored lower then 4 is still really crazy to me. Almost insane haha.
But i am more a MP player tho. Altough i liked Halo 5 SP the same as Halo 4.

OKK

It already happened in 2007 and 2012. To be frank, it should have also happened in 2011.

No, he really should get out of the biz for his own good. He's beyond jaded, and his tastes are so fickle that the reviews mean practically nothing to anyone other than him.
Damn... the hate is real. Considering Jeff wasn't the only one giving the game 2/5. Heck, I'm listening Giant Beastcast at this very moment and Alex & Jeff (Bakalar) shared similar viewpoint as Gerstmann.

why is all of this armchair psychology of reviewers even relevant to their reviews and the scores they have applied to them?

Why can't we accept Occam's razor here and just assume that a reviewer played and reviewed a game for what they felt it was instead of trying to make assumptions about their state of mind and such when making the review?

People weren't calling Jeff jaded when he gave the Division a 4/5 as an example, strange how fickle message board goers can be at times.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hm, I was thinking that I was going to pre-order the game this weekend to also get the extra goodies associated with it, but now I might just wait for a PC sale.

CHC

Damn... the hate is real. Considering Jeff wasn't the only one giving the game 2/5. Heck, I'm listening Giant Beastcast at this very moment and Alex & Jeff (Bakalar) shared similar viewpoint as Gerstmann.

I really don't hate him or have any special love for Quantum Break, and I already admitted that I probably was too extreme saying that. I still think he's sort of worn-out and tired sounding with most games, but I love GiantBomb and it wouldn't exist without him, so that's pretty major.

Top Bottom