• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Dr. Seuss drawing up for auction upsets fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodWinked

i never understood peoples reverence for seuss especially now with all the shaming people champion for even minor things.

JordanN

Banned
TIL I learned Dr.Seuss was racist as fuck

He seemed to turn around.

Ox6M0TN.jpg

"A n---- for your woodpile" as "dated now offensive: something (as a concealed motive or obscure factor) contrary to appearances in a situation."

I'm feeling stupid here, can someone explain this? I still don't get what it means even with the definition.

At the same time, his later works tend to preach tolerance, so I expect his views evolved. Not that people will accept that. The internet never forgives. and does not accept the concept of people changing.

rofl, it's funny when people figure out childhood figures are products of their times and tend to be either horribly racists or sexists, or even worst (and most likely) a combination of the two.

Romanticism is a wonderful thing, eh?

Polari

Surprised people care so much. It's one drawing someone did almost a hundred years ago. It shouldn't change your opinion of his other work. Also, while the drawing might be horribly racist, it doesn't necessarily mean Dr. Seuss was a racist. Racially insensitive as many people at the time were though, sure. I wonder how people will view our posts here in a hundred years' time.

BunnyBear

At the same time, his later works tend to preach tolerance, so I expect his views evolved. Not that people will accept that. The internet never forgives.

Nope.

"Five things you'll NEVER guess about Dr Seuss."

He should be judged by the sum of his works, IMO.

Slayven

No one is calling for his works to be burned and his name stricken from the record, but this does give you another view of the dude which is important.

Nekofrog

Banned

Mother Theresa was an insane psychotic who believed that the suffering (literal suffering, physical and mental agony, starvation, beating) of people was good and made them holy. She was an abomination of a human being and a monster.

Tansut

I started reading it and as I went along I just assumed it was going to be a reference to blacks being lazy or something but holy shit dude went in hard.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Past the 80's, assume every single important figure was racist.
They can only pleasantly surprise you this way.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I liked Dr. Seuss but like most things out of American history... I really should have known better. This is yet another in a life of filled with very disappointing revelations.

lenovox1

This is bad under a modern context and it's no wonder why someone wouldn't want to buy this especially publicly.

That being said, this doesn't say anything about his character, as all the panels are comic depictions of common idioms at the time and is a social and political commentary on the wealthy class. A modern interpretation of the idion would replace the word "nigger" with fugitive.

Toad.T

Banned
Speaking of taking your conceptions of role models and grinding them into paste, Osamu Tezuka was racist as well. The collected volumes of his work dance around the subject by saying that he was a product of his culture, and Japan was xenophobic, etc... The fact still remains that the man that's been given the name of "The God of Cartoons" is nothing but a racist twit.

I'd say this is actually worse, as this is blatantly saying that all the Japanese-Americans are traitors who will harm fellow Americans. It's not only offensive, it's dangerous.

The woodpile comic's gag is just literally illustrating common (at the time) expressions, even though the origin of that one expression is racist propaganda from the Civil War.

So basically at the time Seuss's woodpile comic was made, it was casual racism. When that Japanese comic was made, it was promoting a current program that imprisoned over 100,000 US citizens unjustly.

Skii

Wow.

All these pictures are also making me understand why there was outrage over Mr. Popo's design.

Vibranium

Banned
I think I heard a while back Dr. Seuss was really racist so it doesn't surprise me at all. And he was uncomfortable with kids.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's awful seeing these now after watching his movies, reading his books, and being humored by his art.

Now what? They play his special every year at Christmas.

He's been used as a success story for many years. No one wanted his work then later down the road he became who is today (well before all this started).

Are libraries going to stop carrying his books? Will schools throw them away? Will they stop airing the TV shows? Will you throw his books away?

I don't have kids and I rarely watch TV. A lot of my Seuss is long and gone.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is bad under a modern context and it's no wonder why someone wouldn't want to buy this especially publicly.

That being said, this doesn't say anything about his character, as all the panels are comic depictions of common idioms at the time and is a social and political commentary on the wealthy class. A modern interpretation of the idion would replace the word "nigger" with fugitive.

. . .

lenovox1

I'd say this is actually worse, as this is blatantly saying that all the Japanese-Americans are traitors who will harm fellow Americans. It's not only offensive, it's dangerous.

The woodpile comic's gag is just literally illustrating common (at the time) expressions, even though the origin of that one expression is racist propaganda from the Civil War.

So basically at the time Seuss's woodpile comic was made, it was casual racism. When that Japanese comic was made, it was promoting a current program that imprisoned over 100,000 US citizens unjustly.

Yes, the expression seems to be in reference to how abolitionist would hide runaways in common, inconspicuous locations like floorboards and woodpiles as a part of the underground railroad.

The other revelations about him in this thread make home seem much more prickish than the comic does.

I'm constantly amazed by how much people don't remember history at all.

These were drawn in the 1920s. Everyone was racist. This was a time when lynching was still a regular occurrence. When white men would ride into the black neighborhood and burn down houses because they thought a black teen looked a white girl too long. The Klan was growing by the thousands every day. It had only been about 60 years since the end of slavery. There were still people alive who were born when owning people was cool.

Shit was fucked up.

antonz

The guy in general was pretty scummy who wrote some great children books so suddenly everyone forgot he was generally scummy human being

Wife gets cancer so he finds a healthy mistress and drives the wife to suicide so he can run off with his mistress

cameron

It's awful seeing these now after watching his movies, reading his books, and being humored by his art.

Now what? They play his special every year at Christmas.

He's been used as a success story for many years. No one wanted his work then later down the road he became who is today (well before all this started).

Are libraries going to stop carrying his books? Will schools throw them away? Will they stop airing the TV shows? Will you throw his books away?

I don't have kids and I rarely watch TV. A lot of my Seuss is long and gone.

It'll just be a piece of trivia, like the early works of Georges Remi. Seuss isn't Savile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom