• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Dr. Seuss drawing up for auction upsets fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
A lot of people seem eager to forgive this kind of fuckery, they even seem passive, claiming they are simply products of their environment.

I wonder, is this same level of empathy and dismissive attitude also applied to young minorities who get into trouble and are also products of their environment and systemic racism meant to keep them down? Because I don't see nearly as many forgiving and empathetic posters in regards to the toxic environments minorities have to deal with today.

bengraven

Everyone was racist then. And the WW2 stuff was the same all over American and lots of allied media at the time. Do people not learn history?

That's bullshit. If I were a middle-class, near middle-aged white man in the 30s instead of the 2010s, I would, like now, be openly fighting against bigotry and racism and sexism and supporting homosexual rights.

(I meant this as an obvious anachronistic joke, but it's not really funny...)

A lot of people seem eager to forgive this kind of fuckery, they even seem passive, claiming they are simply products of their environment.

I wonder, is this same level of empathy and dismissive attitude also applied to young minorities who get into trouble and are also products of their environment and systemic racism meant to keep them down? Because I don't see nearly as many forgiving and empathetic posters in regards to the toxic environments minorities have to deal with today.

There are plenty of posters empathetic to the struggle of minorities, I don't even know how you can claim otherwise. Everyone is in large part a product of their environment. It's an inescapable element of who they are. It doesn't mean that there is no such thing as judging people as individuals for their actions, but rather that the environment needs to be taken as a baseline.

For example, I have rather more empathy for people who get involved in the drug game when they live in poor communities flooded with street drugs and little economic opportunity, than I would if they did not and had immensely other options available to them. I feel either is worthy of punishment if they engage in violence, but the latter more so because they had far more choices that could have taken them in other directions than the former.

Serrato

It seems that every good figures of the time past all have huge skeletons in the closet. I can add that the Dalai lama too is one huge hypocrite.

Amir0x

Banned
wow I knew he was racist, but I was not prepared for that LEVEL of racism. Dude was a full-bodied salute-the-racist-flag calibre asshole

Did he feel sorry to black people too or was it only the japanese?
Fair question, actually. It's kind of like some people have never heard of being selectively racist against certain minorities, but not against certain other minorities.

Not to say I'm familiar enough with any of his other work to say I know the answer to that myself, but it's an interesting thought.

It seems that every good figures of the time past all have huge skeletons in the closet. I can add that the Dalai lama too is one huge hypocrite.
Examples?

Serrato

Examples?

Well, before they were kicked out of Tibet, Lamas (religious leaders) lived as feudal nobles with the Dalai Lama as the de facto ''king'' or ''God''. The ''normal'' people lived there as serfs, or slaves of the earth if you prefer. There is also stories of horrors like torture inflicted on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXFyOh6yzQ

After that he was working CIA to create Guerrila (read Terrorists) units to counter-act China.

(http://www.westernshugdensociety.org/dalai-lama/dalai-lama-cia/)

When that was known, he lost some the money flow from the US Secret Service (he still is payed today...), he then started to move all around the world, doing the ''peace and spirituality'' movement to get money flowing again.

There are plenty of posters empathetic to the struggle of minorities, I don't even know how you can claim otherwise.

There are, but there are just as many who are not. See any thread about racism in general, media representation, police brutality, etc.

As for being products of the time/environment, not everyone has to give in to those surrounding factors. I also wouldn't compare something like lack of opportunity as an environmental factor to widespread racism, especially when the former is caused by the latter.

We can recognize someone's efforts/contributions without absolving them of responsibility for their failings by writing them off as inevitable consequences of the circumstances of their birth.

BunnyBear

I wonder how many folks in this thread, who want to crucify a man born 40 years after the end of slavery for being racist, ever called someone a "fag" in the 90s.

people should stop pretending they arent a product of their time

Spot on. Like it or not, standards were different back then. Yeah, there were plenty of people whose idealism got us to where we are today, but judging someone for their views at a young age, in an incredibly different period of time and social awareness is, to say the least, problematic.

these are '30 strips, of course racism was rampant at the time. Very few authors were ahead of their time in terms of being progressive... just pick a book and read Nero Wolfe's early stories for example. Archie Goodwin is a very vocal racist towards anyone who is not American or white, despite working for a Montenegrin immigrant

Yeah, Fer-de-Lance was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Glad I stuck with it though. League of Frightened Men was instantly a much better book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom