• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

WrikaWrek

Banned
famousmortimer said:

Maybe I watched the wrong video lol.

But doesn't the player wake up in some sci fi room, gets out, gets picked up by somebody he does not know, who then orders the player to kill some dudes....out of nowhere.

I just woke up in the middle of Mad Max's Wastelands, I don't know who I am or where I come from, and some dude is already picking me up, and telling me to kill people.

plagiarize said:
Carmack is on record saying that he regrets focussing on the consoles, and that his next engine will be built for PCs first, and ported to consoles second.

John's interest is in building engines with bleeding edge technology. as ID have moved away from licensing their technology, that's something that plays into, not against, his interests. EPIC are interested in building engines to sell... and as such focus heavily on consoles.

John wishes he hadn't made ID Tech 5 with consoles at the forefront of his mind and is on record saying so, and since they're under no pressure to make something licenseable i see no reason to doubt him.

when will that be? 2015?

WrikaWrek said:

But doesn't the player wake up in some sci fi room, gets out, gets picked up by somebody he does not know, who then orders the player to kill some dudes....out of nowhere.

I just woke up in the middle of Mad Max's Wastelands, I don't know who I am or where I come from, and some dude is already picking me up, and telling me to kill people.
Yeah, I had to laugh at that.

He's driving you to the first settlement and says "I have a plan that could solve this problem for both of us." You get there and he turns around and says "Kill them all. Its as simple as that".

Great plan. Oscar winning even. But then again I guess he formulated it over the whole of a 20 second drive, so I can't really get on his case.

WrikaWrek said:

You are right. It works in HL2 because people suppose that you (Freeman) DO know, what's going on, but in this game it's like "you really have no idea of the state of the world, do you? Anyway, I'm not going to explain anything to you, just go and kill some dudes for me pl0x because I saved ya"

>_>

WrikaWrek said:

he kind of saved your life. then he gave you a free weapon, and pointed you in the direction of the people that had been trying to kill you.

mercenar1e said:
when will that be? 2015?
does it matter? i was responding to someone who was worried that they'd turn their back on PCs going forwards. it sure sounds like that isn't the case.

Mastperf

bloodydrake said:
I'd have been happy if Rage was PC only for now and optimized for PC then worked on for a year for console..but thats just now how it played out.
Why should 2 of the 3 platforms do without for a year?

garath

WrikaWrek said:

It fits. He's telling you the bandits are under orders to kill anyone from an Ark, which you happen to be. He has also gotten himself on the bad side of this particular clan by killing some of them to save you so it's in both of your best interests to go cap a bitch.

It's not exactly high drama writing but it's believable.

Karish said:
Gamefly'd. Played for an hour or so last night. Not bad, but just no compelling reason to play it. Sent back already.

Sorry to hear that. It gets better. I've been enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WrikaWrek said:

Yeah, it's certainly contrived--makes me wonder why they even bothered with the setting of making the player a nanomachine-enhanced dude from the past. You just emerged from the Ark into an post-apocalyptic wasteland, and without any questions, you're up and driving around on dune buggies and helping John Goodman kill bandits.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nice, got my copy for PC, added these in the launch options from bookmarked posts:
+ cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1

And then made my Rage config with these lines:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

And then rolled with 8x Msaa in game + v-sync/TB in the Nvidia profile.

Game runs like a fucking dream and looks gorgeous in motion. Do anyone know how to turn off the crosshair?

Zefah said:
Yeah, it's certainly contrived--makes me wonder why they even bothered with the setting of making the player a nanomachine-enhanced dude from the past. You just emerged from the Ark into an post-apocalyptic wasteland, and without any questions, you're up and driving around on dune buggies and helping John Goodman kill bandits.
seriously though, are you telling me that if you suddenly woke up in the future, and John Goodman rescued you, and said, now go kill some bandits for me, that you wouldn't?

cause i fucking would.

WrikaWrek

Banned
garath said:
It fits. He's telling you the bandits are under orders to kill anyone from an Ark, which you happen to be. He has also gotten himself on the bad side of this particular clan by killing some of them to save you so it's in both of your best interests to go cap a bitch.

It's not exactly high drama writing but it's believable.

Damn, really? Lowered expectations, holy moly.

Come on man, this shit is ridiculous. Dude woke up after years of hibernation, guy had no time to even make a question and his body count is already making Jason Bourne blush, and he ain't even defending himself.

He was in a nice safe location, and he grabbed a gun, picked up a bike and went BACK because he's going Tony Soprano on a bitch.

In 10 minutes flat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
seriously though, are you telling me that if you suddenly woke up in the future, and John Goodman rescued you, and said, now go kill some bandits for me, that you wouldn't?

cause i fucking would.

Fair enough. I probably would. Although I think I might have asked a few questions about how the world works first.

Either way, I just found it a bit funny. You walk out of the vault, get jumped by a lunatic and then rescued by John Goodman. He just says, "Ha, you don't know shit! Welcome to the future! Time to kill some fucking bandits!"

I guess it fits. Although, I do wonder if the story will come into play more later on (I just arrived at Wellspring).

Also, what's up with the British bandits? I kept expecting to hear "SPAAAACE MARIIINES!" while raiding their garage.

CyReN

Been playing for about 3 hours now on the Xbox 360, I just can't put my finger on it besides it's all "been there, done that". Nothing stands out for me, just very very mediocre. I'm REALLY trying to enjoy it. The only thing I really like are the enemies movements. I'll try and beat it, got it locked on Amazon Trade in for $30.

jackdoe

CyReN said:
Been playing for about 3 hours now on the Xbox 360, I just can't put my finger on it besides it's all "been there, done that". Nothing stands out for me, just very very mediocre. I'm REALLY trying to enjoy it. The only thing I really like are the enemies movements. I'll try and beat it, got it locked on Amazon Trade in for $30.
For Amazon trade-ins, wait a bit before you do it. First week of release is some ridiculously low trade-in value. It will probably go back up to $45 in a week or two.

WrikaWrek

Banned
They should have had a female character in there, and it would have been as simple as going back to save her.

I mean, it's baffling...nobody took even 50 seconds to think about something better. Level of creativity must be god like at ID. Good lord.

JohngPR

Truespeed said:

At least in that first video, he's totally gaming the system.

If you notice in the HDD one, he turns around, STOPS, and lets the textures load on that side of the world, and then turns around which causes the game to reload the textures on the opposite side.

In the "SSD" video, he turns back around before the game has a chance to load the textures on the opposite side of the world so when he turns back around, those "already loaded up" textures are still there.

Needless to say, I'm not convinced it makes a difference.

garath

WrikaWrek said:
Damn, really? Lowered expectations, holy moly.

Come on man, this shit is ridiculous. Dude woke up after years of hibernation, guy had no time to even make a question and his body count is already making Jason Bourne blush, and he ain't even defending himself.

He was in a nice safe location, and he grabbed a gun, picked up a bike and went BACK because he's going Tony Soprano on a bitch.

In 10 minutes flat.

Ok. Let's make this "shit less ridiculous" then. I like the premise, the world seems to be pretty much what a post apocalyptic world might look like - remaining survivors banding together, some peaceful, others just rampaging (might is right). Guy wakes up, steps outside and is accosted by bandits sent to investigate the disaster that rose the ark.

Now how would you write it to make it "less ridiculous". The investigating bandits wouldn't attack you? John goodman wouldn't save an enhanced ark survivor to work some agenda of his own?

Help id out, throw down a solid high expectations storyline from here.

WrikaWrek said:
They should have had a female character in there, and it would have been as simple as going back to save her.

I mean, it's baffling...nobody took even 50 seconds to think about something better. Level of creativity must be god like at ID. Good lord.

Go save the female character? That's your saving grace for the story? The oscar winning motivation?

*cough*

CyReN

jackdoe said:
For Amazon trade-ins, wait a bit before you do it. First week of release is some ridiculously low trade-in value. It will probably go back up to $45 in a week or two.

Yea, thanks. Just jumped to $32 now.

WrikaWrek

Banned
garath said:
Go save the female character? That's your saving grace for the story? The oscar winning motivation?

*cough*

Dude, it's at least a reason to go back, even with some urgency. Even if you get there and she's dead and chopped up to bits. Don't like women? Put a dude, whatever floats.

At least it's a reason that makes sense. You are advocating for really stupid shit dude.

I'm shocked there hasn't been a PC patch released yet. I still can't play at all. It won't even load up. Crashes immediately upon startup. I have no problems with any other game (and I have a lot of games).

Anyone else still having problems even getting it to start?

Mastperf

angular graphics said:
If they can work on all platforms and exploit their strengths, they should work on all. But can they?
So what exactly makes pc the choice in that decision? Most of the gaming market is elsewhere.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JohngPR said:
At least in that first video, he's totally gaming the system.

If you notice in the HDD one, he turns around, STOPS, and lets the textures load on that side of the world, and then turns around which causes the game to reload the textures on the opposite side.

In the "SSD" video, he turns back around before the game has a chance to load the textures on the opposite side of the world so when he turns back around, those "already loaded up" textures are still there.

Needless to say, I'm not convinced it makes a difference.

The difference is pretty significant. I can't see textures loading in most of the SSD vids there.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Mastperf said:
So what exactly makes pc the choice in that decision? Most of the gaming market is elsewhere.
you totally ignored the context of the orginal statement.

The witcher 2 was optimized for PC tech not console..so it has higher Texture resolution ect.
Rage was optimized to for the lowest common denominator the PS3 and its limitations..
I would have rather id went the witcher 2 way, which was to optimize for todays PC's then spend the next year like CDProjekt on downsampling to work on console.

Why would that matter? because its obvious whats holding back the PC's texture quality is the parity with the consoles.

EDIT: Bolded is just Palm-face inducing

garath

WrikaWrek said:
Dude, it's at least a reason to go back, even with some urgency. Even if you get there and she's dead and chopped up to bits. Don't like women? Put a dude, whatever floats.

At least it's a reason that makes sense. You are advocating for really stupid shit dude.

Who's advocating anything? I'm not looking for a real compelling story here. I'm playing a FPS game. I want to shoot shit.

The story is perfectly acceptable. Big event happens, bad guys investigate, almost kill you, guy saves you cause he knows about the bad ass ark people, convinces you the only way you'll survive is to throw in with him and he needs some shit dead.

Straightforward, gets the ball rolling. I asked for your better ideas and you came up with "save the princess". I don't feel that's the slightest bit better.

garath said:
Now how would you write it to make it "less ridiculous". The investigating bandits wouldn't attack you? John goodman wouldn't save an enhanced ark survivor to work some agenda of his own?
You wake up in your pod after bandits managed to drill through the vault door in search of phat lootz. Cue cinematic of you taking them down in hand to hand combat (cuz you're fortified with nanotrites for strong bones). You emerge from the vault, wounded, parched and with only a piece-of-crap weapon in need of repairs. As you reach the road you start to feel woozy, but you see a buggy in the distance. It approaches as you collapse. You wake up in the buggy and things continue to the settlement.

Cue healing tutorial, cue weapon tutorial, which leads into the settlement getting attacked with a few redshirts getting killed by pot shots. You're handed a weapon to help defend the place. Afterwards you're asked to take out the bandits since the settlement guards are wounded (and because unlike them, you're fortified with nanotrites). Kill the bandits, return and then seek medical supplies.

Of course its always easier to critique somebody else's work than to create something on your own. Not that I mind how it opened, just thought it was funny.

WrikaWrek said:

Well there were those two people you saw captured by the bandits in the beginning but then they're already dead when you get there...Not that I'm gonna defend this games opening. They just decided to bypass all the displacement and get you right into action, for better or worse.

Luckily it didn't bother me too much since I was more interested in getting right into the gameplay.

Edit:
Gvaz said:
I agree 10000%. A headshot is a kill period. Now say if it was like Fallout where shooting them in the head makes their helmet fly off that's one thing. If you have a high powered rifle and they don't die immediately to a headshot regardless of some dinky hat, that's another.

I could be wrong due to still being early in the game but it kinda seems like they took the Gears of War approach where only certain weapons can instakill with a headshot. Like a wingstick or sniper bullet to the head seems to always result in a kill whereas the handgun and machineguns won't. I'm not sure if a shotgun to the face is always an instakill but it seems like it most of the time.

Gvaz

Banned
NullPointer said:
Games where the standard enemies don't drop from a single bullet to their face are always less satisfying. No sir, I don't like it.
I agree 10000%. A headshot is a kill period. Now say if it was like Fallout where shooting them in the head makes their helmet fly off that's one thing. If you have a high powered rifle and they don't die immediately to a headshot regardless of some dinky hat, that's another.

Hawk269

Lothars said:
it destorys IDTech5? wow the hyperbole is insane, I would say that it's comparable but It's insane to say it destorys it when it doesn't.

Well when I walk up to a detailed texture in Witcher 2, it still looks like a detailed texture. When I do the same in Rage, it looks like a texture from the Nintendo 64 days. So, one engine maintains it's texture detail and another goes from "wow..thats nice to oh shit, I think my GPU is broken". If that is not "destroying" what would you call it???

Comparabel?!?!?!? lol.

Mastperf

bloodydrake said:
you totally ignored the context of the orginal statement.

The witcher 2 was optimized for PC tech not console..so it has higher Texture resolution ect.
Rage was optimized to for the lowest common denominator the PS3 and its limitations..
I would have rather id went the witcher 2 way, which was to optimize for todays PC's then spend the next year like CDProjekt on downsampling to work on console.

Why would that matter? because its obvious whats holding back the PC's texture quality is the parity with the consoles.

EDIT: Bolded is just Palm-face inducing
The pc version is having trouble enough as it is without high-res textures.
Besides, there was nothing stopping id from making a vastly superior pc version if the hardware allowed it.
I'm not sure what you're face palming about because the majority of the gaming market isn't pc.

Hawk269 said:
Well when I walk up to a detailed texture in Witcher 2, it still looks like a detailed texture. When I do the same in Rage, it looks like a texture from the Nintendo 64 days. So, one engine maintains it's texture detail and another goes from "wow..thats nice to oh shit, I think my GPU is broken". If that is not "destroying" what would you call it???

Comparabel?!?!?!? lol.
Farsighted is the term I use. Its a very farsighted engine.

Played for about 2 hours before beginning mandatory Horror movie night (tonight is Mimic).

Pros

+ You know how you always wish games could look like their concept art? Rage fucking does that! It's absolutely amazing. Viewing this with the mindset that i'm looking at a painting instead of game, and blurry textures don't bother. Hell, Killzone2 has plenty of damn blurry textures and I still consider it the best looking game out there. It's what you take in as a whole and not the bits in between.

+ DAT framerate! ...it's pretty surreal finally seeing this running at the touted 60fps after all the press footage i've watched over the years. Absolutely glorious.

+ Of course, great gunplay. As far as the fine details? Great analog range calibration, super response, it's just tight!.

+ As someone else said, the double barrel audio was done by God himself

+ Mission structure. It's to the fucking point and I love it. Don't need no excess. Lean and mean.

+ Okay, that opening FMV was actually ....Haunting! Seriously, I'd never seen it before with it's music and holy shit did it sale the premise so damn well. Honestly can recall any other game in recent memory that did so much with so little.

Cons

- Aside from the little technical thing I complained about? Absolutely none!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Mastperf said:
I'm not sure what you're face palming about because the majority of the gaming market isn't pc.

tumblr_kssrm7ReEQ1qzraqfo1_400.gif

garath

NullPointer said:
You wake up in your pod after bandits managed to drill through the vault door in search of phat lootz. Cue cinematic of you taking them down in hand to hand combat (cuz you're fortified with nanotrites for strong bones). You emerge from the vault, wounded, parched and with only a piece-of-crap weapon in need of repairs. As you reach the road you start to feel woozy, but you see a buggy in the distance. It approaches as you collapse. You wake up in the buggy and things continue to the settlement.

Cue healing tutorial, cue weapon tutorial, which leads into the settlement getting attacked with a few redshirts getting killed by pot shots. You're handed a weapon to help defend the place. Afterwards you're asked to take out the bandits since the settlement guards are wounded (and because unlike them, you're fortified with nanotrites). Kill the bandits, return and then seek medical supplies.

Of course its always easier to critique somebody else's work than to create something on your own. Not that I mind how it opened, just thought it was funny.

Cool. I like it. Now that's a step up in the opening. It's a little more motivation to go shoot shit up but still gets you in the action quicker.

I hate FPS games that drag out intros with no action. Personally I want to get right into it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WrikaWrek said:
Man this game opens up with a mission out of nowhere. What the hell?

no effort ID, seriously.

The answer to your question is "it's an id game".

JohngPR

TTP said:
The difference is pretty significant. I can't see textures loading in most of the SSD vids there.

At the same time, I don't have a stock PS3 HDD, it has highter RPM's so maybe I'm not the best person to judge these things. :p

Mastperf said:

I didn't say any version has to suffer now, did I? In fact I said the opposite. But if you build for the console first, it's naturally hard to "uprez" your tech for the PC "later".

And yeah most of the gaming market is elsewhere right now; on facebook XD ;)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Mastperf said:
Resorting to gifs already?
well its the fact that the majority is on PC world wide..overall..factoring in all, well, you know, PC games..so it seemed appropriate to your statements

edit: points at angular..see, he gets it..shrug.

forrest

formerly nacire
AgentOtaku said:
Played for about 2 hours before beginning mandatory Horror movie night (tonight is Mimic).

Pros

+ You know how you always wish games could look like their concept art? Rage fucking does that! It's absolutely amazing. Viewing this with the mindset that i'm looking at a painting instead of game, and blurry textures don't bother. Hell, Killzone2 has plenty of damn blurry textures and I still consider it the best looking game out there. It's what you take in as a whole and not the bits in between.

+ DAT framerate! ...it's pretty surreal finally seeing this running at the touted 60fps after all the press footage i've watched over the years. Absolutely glorious.

+ Of course, great gunplay. As far as the fine details? Great analog range calibration, super response, it's just tight!.

+ As someone else said, the double barrel audio was done by God himself

+ Mission structure. It's to the fucking point and I love it. Don't need no excess. Lean and mean.

+ Okay, that opening FMV was actually ....Haunting! Seriously, I'd never seen it before with it's music and holy shit did it sale the premise so damn well. Honestly can recall any other game in recent memory that did so much with so little.

Cons

- Aside from the little technical thing I complained about? Absolutely none!

AgentOtaku is driving the bandwagon
and I'm riding mother fucking shotgun!

I agree with all of your points and I'm loving this game. ATI dropped the ball out of the gate and there are some technical niggles here and there which I'm sure will be ironed out shortly. Great game is great, new at 11!

CoilShot

Spoilers about race sponsor on nightmare

Up until this mission nightmare has been very easy. My god, this boss is hard as hell on nightmare at the end of the mutant bash tv. I've been using grenades, shotgun and this thing wont go down :( Any tips?

Dyno

WrikaWrek said:

This is no different than Doom or Quake. It's a nightmare scenario. The reason you were put in the arc, given nanotech, and put in cryo is because you are a killing machine! The reason you don't talk is because your weapons do the talking for you. The reason why you were given a mission to clear out an entire gang with a handgun and some bandages is because you are the right person for that job and that is all the gear you need to do it.

Mr. Rage doesn't need to emote and he certainly doesn't need a god-damned therapy session. Mr. Rage needs another 10 wingblades so that he can continue his merry streak of decapitations. Just let that salient point sink in for a second. Mr. Rage is capable of decapitations... with his off hand!

Kids these days...

oktarb

I have one minor annoyance to vent.

In your inventory it tells you through icons what is a build inexpedient what you can use and what is just plain sell crap. When you go to sell things those icons are not displayed.

"Wait is gas crap sell? I can't remember. Man, gas seems like it would be important." Back out of sell screen. Check inventory. Gas = junk sell.

soloqueue.gif

JRW

Does PCs Rage support 5.1? I get no audio from the Center speaker (even during dialog) and the rear audio is muffled, using Logitech Z5500 / X-Fi soundcard. I did the speaker test thing in windows and all speakers are properly setup / volume adjusted etc.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dyno said:
This is no different than Doom or Quake. It's a nightmare scenario. The reason you were put in the arc, given nanotech, and put in cryo is because you are a killing machine! The reason you don't talk is because your weapons do the talking for you. The reason why you were given a mission to clear out an entire gang with a handgun and some bandages is because you are the right person for that job and that is all the gear you need to do it.

Mr. Rage doesn't need to emote and he certainly doesn't need a god-damned therapy session. Mr. Rage needs another 10 wingblades so that he can continue his merry streak of decapitations. Just let that salient point sink in for a second. Mr. Rage is capable of decapitations... with his off hand!

Kids these days...

Denis Leary would be proud :)

oktarb said:
I have one minor annoyance to vent.

In your inventory it tells you through icons what is a build inexpedient what you can use and what is just plain sell crap. When you go to sell things those icons are not displayed.

"Wait is gas crap sell? I can't remember. Man, gas seems like it would be important." Back out of sell screen. Check inventory. Gas = junk sell.
Pretty sure they do show up. You either see (consumable) or (ingredient) or a big dollar sign. I thought the same though at first.

Top Bottom