• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

goldenpp72

george_us said:
What bugs me is Gears of fucking War 3 is scoring 9s and 10s all over the damn place despite the fact that it's the same game (arguably worse in some areas) as its predecessors. There's absolutely no consistency at all when it comes to reviews.

Gears of war 3 has better (to many) graphics, probably a better story, much more robust modes and potentially much more polished mechanics being a third entry in the same series. A new IP to me can only truly stun if it comes off as polished and amazing right from the offset, rage doesn't need to re-invent the wheel but the game doesn't seem to have even all the basics down depending on your preference.

I really don't see why it's bad for rage to get a 7 and gears 3 to get a 9, I haven't put time into rage yet (waiting until i'm home) but my own expectations are that it will be an '8' level game at most, worth playing and good fun, but flawed and with a limited set of modes to play from.

I personally expect gears 3 to be among the best games of this generation, coming from someone who always loved and preferred ID software titles over epic games, it's quite a turnaround for me. I don't think i'm insane and I don't think the reviewers are either. Gears 3 will likely be remembered for much longer than rage, even among the hardcore niche gamers.

Ricker

aeolist said:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage

Ah ok thanks...

Carm said:
Can someone check their Rage PC folder and tell me the exact size and how many files/folders there are? Just got done installing and when it finished Steam said it only had 5 gigs downloaded out of 21 gigs. I canceled the download restarted Steam, and it said all files needed present. I'm not sure if it even downloaded the patch in that small amount of time. Steam is saying everything is fine but I figured I'd post to see just in case.

Also, did anyone else not have to input their Anarchy Edition DLC codes into Steam? First time I've seen that with a Steamworks title.

well there is 15 files in there and it`s 21 gig...

goldenpp72 said:
Gears of war 3 has better (to many) graphics, probably a better story, much more robust modes and potentially much more polished mechanics being a third entry in the same series. A new IP to me can only truly stun if it comes off as polished and amazing right from the offset, rage doesn't need to re-invent the wheel but the game doesn't seem to have even all the basics down depending on your preference.

I really don't see why it's bad for rage to get a 7 and gears 3 to get a 9, I haven't put time into rage yet (waiting until i'm home) but my own expectations are that it will be an '8' level game at most, worth playing and good fun, but very flawed.

I personally expect gears 3 to be among the best games of this generation, coming from someone who always loved and preferred ID software titles over epic games, it's quite a turnaround for me. I don't think i'm insane and I don't think the reviewers are either. Gears 3 will likely be remembered for much longer than rage, even among the hardcore niche gamers.
i think where some peoples frustrations lie, is that Rage PLAYS better. personally i think there's a lot more to a game than that, but i can understand that some people think that should be the over riding factor.

RAGE has been criticised for being 'gamey' and that's such a ridiculous criticism.

you can argue which has better graphics, both from a technical and artistic perspective. i'm not surprised that BOTH are being called the best looking console game.

Mastperf said:
Halo is very successful if that's a better example.

It's very successful but also exclusive to a console (so kinda like THE reason to buy that console, no?) and backed by a multimillion ad campaign, that I don't think Rage had(?). Rage was never (or it was very unlikely) really going to sell as much as eg Halo 3.

How many multiplatform FPS games that aren't almost exclusively driven by the MP are this successful?

It's like me saying "look HL2 sold 12 million units so all PC FPS are as successful as Halo." :p

So why would they mainly focus on the pc and probably delay the console version if it could mean far less sales? Doing so would be remaining dedicated to one platform which you say no longer happens.

Again, if they can handle all 3 versions, they should. I'm *not* saying they should delay anything.

Ryuuga

Banned
Mastperf said:
So why would they mainly focus on the pc and probably delay the console version if it could mean far less sales?

This question confuses me. If iD decided to focus on PC as the main platform all the while having consoles in the pipeline, how would that result in less sales? The only thing we would get is a better product from the top down and if they decided to delay the console version it would only be to optimize it for playability on the respective platforms. Unless I misinterpreted you, earlier you said that console gamers don't acknowledge or even care about the existence of a superior platform so that brings me back to the original question as to how this would effect the game sales wise.

Carm

Well, the game seems to run fine so I guess it has all the files including the patch. 60fps constant but man some of these textures. I'm having pop in issues, you can definitely tell it's a console port, moving the mouse like normal it's bad. Can definitely tell it was made for slower movement on controllers.

So far only issues I have, which I should at the very least be able to fix 2 of them is pop in, fov to narrow making me physically ill (shame on you id) and and white lines occasionally appearing on textures. I'm guessing that last one I just need to update my drivers, hopefully, fov should be an easy fix, pop in is the one I'm most concerned about getting rid of.

KePoW

Banned
Yuripaw said:
For anyone who picked up the xbox 360 version. How bad is the texture pop in on that version? Overall, does it look and run good on the xbox 360?

I have it installed fully to the HD, and it looks awesome and solid 60fps. You can still notice texture pop-in in some cases, but it's never for more than a split second. So that doesn't bother me at all.

I don't know how it runs off the disc though.

KePoW

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
The game looks and runs great for me outside of the tearing and green shadows. I'll revisit it when those get resolved without me having to edit a fucking config file or force vsync through the Nvidia control panel.

How hard is it to change one setting in Nvidia control panel? That literally takes 5 seconds.

Editing config files is annoying though, and no one should be required to do that just to have a game startup. That should only be necesary for advanced hardcore tweaking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Acullis said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, a quick search of "rage bunnyhopping strafejumping" turned up nothing, but ...

Apparently you can bunny hop/strafe jump o.o I might actually pick up the game just to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5wB58r3T0

Haha, that's awesome!

I wish they had included at least some kind of basic deathmatch multiplayer in this.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone catch this easter egg? Love it!

breakingbaduu4w.jpg

Solo

There we go - I have all the tweaks now in place. Just moments from launching the game and seeing how the performance has changed.

Yuripaw said:
For anyone who picked up the xbox 360 version. How bad is the texture pop in on that version? Overall, does it look and run good on the xbox 360?

I have it installed and it's everywhere that I've gotten use to it. From even in the beginning I'd look at the NPC and move to the right to the car- the car would have insane pop ins. I'd move back to the NPC and then look over to the car again, same thing. Mind you these two objects are like 5 feet away from one another.

Awesome tech, but jfc.

I am starting to get annoyed here....anyone else have a problem loading the level "Wasted Garage"? Whenever I try to go there it just sits there at the loading screen forever. After a few minutes I will hit control alt delete to bring up task manager and it says Rage stopped working.

Tried a reinstall last night and it was a no go. Google brings up a thread in the steam forums with tons having the same issue. Anyone know a way to fix it?

Rage has caused a update to drivers and a reintall. It shouldn't be this hard lol

d1rtn4p

Coming from a child of 80s/90s gaming, I'm absolutely loving it. I wasn't expecting a cover based, open world, rpg/shooter, so the fact that it feels like a classic ID game through and through is just awesome. When I got the pistol and rock music started playing, it was like I was playing Doom 2 all over again

Solo

Holy fuck. With beta drivers and the tweaks and GPU transcoding on, texture pop in is like 95% GONE. FUCK YEAH.

However, I have a new issue - something is inducing some tearing despite the fact I have v-sync forced. Any ideas? I wasn't getting the tearing before I went to the beta drivers/GPU transcoding.

Pimpbaa

jett said:
Why is there no deathmatch in this game again? :p

I'm not one to want multiplayer stuff in every single game, but it seems like in this case that no competitive multiplayer is a wasted opportunity (especially considering how short it is). Nice feeling guns and combat, 60fps, vehicles. I guess they just wanted to finish the damn thing after taking so long to make it.

aeolist

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I'm not one to want multiplayer stuff in every single game, but it seems like in this case that no competitive multiplayer is a wasted opportunity (especially considering how short it is). Nice feeling guns and combat, 60fps, vehicles. I guess they just wanted to finish the damn thing after taking so long to make it.
I think the vehicular MP idea is good. If they'd just stuck DM and TDM into this game nobody would have played it because there's not really a good hook.

Solo

WOW. What a difference 24 hours can make. Game went from a barely playable mess at launch to 60 FPS of awesomesauce over the span of a day. Now it looks great, plays incredibly, and almost all of the technical issues are gone.

harrytang

am i allowed to post asking for help with registering a non USA steam key for rage? I bought one and vpn did not work. dont want to be banned but i want to play rage so fast. i need someone from russia fast.

Solo said:
WOW. What a difference 24 hours can make. Game went from a barely playable mess at launch to 60 FPS of awesomesauce over the span of a day. Now it looks great, plays incredibly, and almost all of the technical issues are gone.

I am having a blast playing the PC version!

Solo said:
that kind of makes it more shocking to me how much of a mess it was. they were so close to getting it right. just a few cfg tweaks and the right drivers and we'd have been praising IDs technical prowess. so so close.

Solo

plagiarize said:
that kind of makes it more shocking to me how much of a mess it was. they were so close to getting it right. just a few cfg tweaks and the right drivers and we'd have been praising IDs technical prowess. so so close.

I know, right? If id had released the game I'm now playing, this thread would only be 1/5 of the size of it is, because there wouldn't be all the tech WTFing.

plagiarize said:

Its not IDs fault that the correct drivers were not available at launch.

Definity

Solo said:
Holy fuck. With beta drivers and the tweaks and GPU transcoding on, texture pop in is like 95% GONE. FUCK YEAH.

However, I have a new issue - something is inducing some tearing despite the fact I have v-sync forced. Any ideas? I wasn't getting the tearing before I went to the beta drivers/GPU transcoding.
The tearing happened to me even with the settings forced globally. Only way I could get rid of it was to add RAGE manually in the Nvidia control panel and force the settings just for the game rather than globally.

JRW

Solo said:

I had to force vsync in nvidia control panel / program settings / rage.exe profile for it to work.

harrytang said:
am i allowed to post asking for help with registering a non USA steam key for rage? I bought one and vpn did not work. dont want to be banned but i want to play rage so fast. i need someone from russia fast.

Here you go. This will help. Just activated my Intkeys code...no worries, no fuss. It'll take you less than ten minutes.

forrest

formerly nacire
Snkfanatic said:
I am starting to get annoyed here....anyone else have a problem loading the level "Wasted Garage"? Whenever I try to go there it just sits there at the loading screen forever. After a few minutes I will hit control alt delete to bring up task manager and it says Rage stopped working.

Tried a reinstall last night and it was a no go. Google brings up a thread in the steam forums with tons having the same issue. Anyone know a way to fix it?

Rage has caused a update to drivers and a reintall. It shouldn't be this hard lol

Hey Snk, just force close Rage, and restart. The auto save should have you loading into where ever it was you were trying to load when it crashed. I'm not sure what is causing the issue, but it's happened to me a few times, but I don't think a reinstall is going to solve anything. Also, save often, just in case!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
bloodydrake said:
I'm pretty sure id survives due in part to the money they've made on licensing their idtech3 and 4.
before being sold to Bethesda last year idtech5 sounded pretty cool to be able to develop one version of the game it would compile seamlessly for 3 platforms.
And it seemed like there was a real need for some middle ware besides UE3 4years ago.So i think that was part of the reasoning they stuck with it..and by the time it became apparent that wasn't their market anymore it was to late to change it

Zenimax, and it was over two years ago.

Sysgen

soulassssns said:

Bethesda knew the correct drivers weren't available or someone at Bethesda didn't do their job. If you then want to argue incompetence or apathy that's your choice.

If they were smart they would of held the PC version back a few days and let everyone rave about the 360 version. I could just imagine the fervor and anticipation on the PC side.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
soulassssns said:

Is it not id's fault that they developed the game to function on software that doesn't exist?

Sysgen said:
Bethesda knew the correct drivers weren't available or someone at Bethesda didn't do their job. If you then want to argue incompetence or apathy that's your choice.

If they were smart they would of held the PC version back a few days and let everyone rave about the 360 version. I could just imagine the fervor and anticipation on the PC side.
See: Europe

kamspy

Sysgen said:

So no one at ATi realized that hadn't updated? FFS, Nvidia is already getting Max Payne 3 performance patches.

It's a shame this great game is being trampled by people with ATi problems. You guys knew what you were getting into when you bought ATi. I was there for the entire 4xxx generation. It wasn't really hard to learn my lesson. I encountered at least a dozen games that had performance problems on the ATi side for no good reason. Sure it's only around a dozen out of 100+ games that worked right, but those games that didn't were enough to make me switch back.

Wallach

Sysgen said:

That one is on AMD, not id. If the driver the uploaded to the public had not been a corrupted set, that entire issue would never happened.

There are other technical issues to be sorted with the game, but the shit being so fucked up on AMD's side is absolutely on AMD.

Sysgen

Wallach said:
That one is on AMD, not id. If the driver the uploaded to the public had not been a corrupted set, that entire issue would never happened.

There are other technical issues to be sorted with the game, but the shit being so fucked up on AMD's side is absolutely on AMD.

This is how I look at it, at least from the digital distribution perspective. If the game was released knowing that the drivers were fucked then that's on Bethesda. If I'm the publisher and negative word costs me sales I don't release it unless I'm sure my product is going to work. When you depend on other parties you make sure everyone has the correct cards on the table before you play your hand.

Top Bottom