• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
That one is on AMD, not id. If the driver the uploaded to the public had not been a corrupted set, that entire issue would never happened.

There are other technical issues to be sorted with the game, but the shit being so fucked up on AMD's side is absolutely on AMD.

It may be a direct result of AMD releasing the wrong files, but don't you think id should have tested the final files that consumers would be receiving using drivers that consumers could conceivably have at the time of release? It doesn't make sense that id would be okay gambling on AMD releasing the right files in a timely manner. Seems a bit irresponsible to me.

x3sphere

bloodydrake said:
I'm pretty sure id survives due in part to the money they've made on licensing their idtech3 and 4.
before being sold to Bethesda last year idtech5 sounded pretty cool to be able to develop one version of the game it would compile seamlessly for 3 platforms.
And it seemed like there was a real need for some middle ware besides UE3 4years ago.So i think that was part of the reasoning they stuck with it..and by the time it became apparent that wasn't their market anymore it was to late to change it

I don't think so. Carmack said he never wanted to license engines out. The only reason he budged on earlier id Tech iterations is because they got so many requests. From Gamasutra:

It was never really a business that I wanted to be in. In the very early days, people would pester us, and we would just throw out some ridiculous terms, and we were surprised that people were taking us up on it.

Wallach

Zefah said:
It may be a direct result of AMD releasing the wrong files, but don't you think id should have tested the final files that consumers would be receiving using drivers that consumers could conceivably have at the time of release? It doesn't make sense that id would be okay gambling on AMD releasing the right files in a timely manner. Seems a bit irresponsible to me.

My guess is that id was helping AMD iterate that driver, and AMD fucked up their compile for public release. If you look at how late that driver went out to the public, there wouldn't have been any time to do anything about it on id's end anyway. It went live literally like three hours before the game unlocked on Steam. It probably really was the final compile or something in the final upload process that fucked it up; something that could have been avoided as far as hurting RAGE if AMD had their shit together and had such a driver ready for public release earlier.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kamspy said:
So no one at ATi realized that hadn't updated? FFS, Nvidia is already getting Max Payne 3 performance patches.

AMD cards are getting them too - crossfire support and stuff like that. Don't overdramatize this. I had zero issues with ATI except Bulletstorm god rays but Nvidia fucked me over two times with Fallout 3 and drivers which were frying their new cards.

Sysgen

kamspy said:
So no one at ATi realized that hadn't updated? FFS, Nvidia is already getting Max Payne 3 performance patches.

It's a shame this great game is being trampled by people with ATi problems. You guys knew what you were getting into when you bought ATi. I was there for the entire 4xxx generation. It wasn't really hard to learn my lesson. I encountered at least a dozen games that had performance problems on the ATi side for no good reason. Sure it's only around a dozen out of 100+ games that worked right, but those games that didn't were enough to make me switch back.

It's not just AMD. On release day I read of more than enough issues by consumers that have nvidia boards.

Rage angers PC gamers with problems on AMD and Nvidia boards

Wallach

Solo said:
Game is fucking awesome. Love the racing, love the shooting, love the art direction, love the 60 FPS.

The animation is not getting enough praise, either. Mocap can get fucked, seriously.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
My guess is that id was helping AMD iterate that driver, and AMD fucked up their compile for public release. If you look at how late that driver went out to the public, there wouldn't have been any time to do anything about it on id's end anyway. It went live literally like three hours before the game unlocked on Steam. It probably really was the final compile or something in the final upload process that fucked it up; something that could have been avoided as far as hurting RAGE if AMD had their shit together and had such a driver ready for public release earlier.

I don't doubt that scenario, but it just seems odd that the release client was so completely busted on anything but that newest driver that only existed in an unreleased beta state when id was compiling the code of the retail client.

Wallach said:
The animation is not getting enough praise, either. Mocap can get fucked, seriously.

Seriously loving the animation, too. I don't need ragdoll with death animations like this!

Also, if you nearly kill a guy, but he still remains a live on the ground, they sometimes do some insanely intricate animations when trying to pick up their gun and get one last shot off at you.

AEREC

Doesn't the lack of any kind advanced physics system or lighting system stand out for anyone else. Without these the world feels kind of static and hollow.

Wallach

They used motion capture for a lot of the animations though.

Facial animation is the best I've ever seen.

Whatever they did with the mocap data for RAGE worked because it is some of the most natural looking animation I've ever seen. Most games that use it, the animation will often stick out to me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone curious on the time completion differences, game does not count your time in the menus and such to the game time on your save.

pakkit

Banned
Facial animation is the best I've ever seen.
I don't know, Mafia II beats it fair and square, and L.A. Noire beats it by cheating. It's certainly competent. I can't shake the feeling that the vender at Hagar's village is a pedo though. That smile is so goddam smug.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AEREC said:
Doesn't the lack of any kind advanced physics system or lighting system stand out for anyone else. Without these the world feels kind of static and hollow.

Very much so to me. It's jarring as hell when you shoot environmental objects and nothing happens. It's also jarring how wingblades that land on the ground disappear and become a really ugly sprite on the megatexture that quickly fades. The lack of any kind of dynamic lighting is jarring, too.

With that said, the game looks amazing when you're far away from things and the action is a ton of fun.

Salsa

pakkit said:
I don't know, Mafia II beats it fair and square

Disagreed by a large margin. Mafia 2 had great facial animation and overall great.. faces at that, but there wasnt anywhere near the amount of emotion expressed through them that you see in RAGE. Wether that's because of the setting and whatnot, point still stands.

MrBig

pakkit said:
I don't know, Mafia II beats it fair and square, and L.A. Noire beats it by cheating. It's certainly competent. I can't shake the feeling that the vender at Hagar's village is a pedo though. That smile is so goddam smug.
Facial animations by themselves could use a little more motion, but the body language employed by some of the characters is something I have never seen in a game before.

Were these animations keyframed or motion captured?

forrest

formerly nacire
ATI guy here and I'm freaking loving the game. But I won't lie, all of my cards have been ATI for years now and I think I'll try an Nvidia card on my next upgrade. :D

Derrick01

Banned
I've got about 6 hours in now and I just kind of like it. The shooting feels great but the rest of the gameplay is just...meh. That's the best way I can describe it really, the quests and racing stuff have been about as basic as you can get with no signs of even slightly improving in depth. I'm hoping something else comes along soon that will rejuvenate my interest in the game.

Wallach said:
That one is on AMD, not id. If the driver the uploaded to the public had not been a corrupted set, that entire issue would never happened.

There are other technical issues to be sorted with the game, but the shit being so fucked up on AMD's side is absolutely on AMD.
if I'm ID, and AMD have released the wrong drivers, in response to the complaints I'm checking those drivers before I tweet 'Make sure you have the latest drivers!'.

hell, I'm testing them BEFORE the game comes out, Monday night, since I can, and I'm getting on the phone with AMD asap to get them to sort that shit.

but it isn't just the drivers. even with them, people were still faced with sub par graphics that only needed a simple cfg file to fix.

FrankT

Solo said:
Game is fucking awesome. Love the racing, love the shooting, love the art direction, love the 60 FPS.

In love as well. The animations do amaze at times as well. Game takes me back to a lot of great memories from id as well.

pakkit

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Disagreed by a large margin. Mafia 2 had great facial animation and overall great.. faces at that, but there wasnt anywhere near the amount of emotion expressed through them that you see in RAGE. Wether that's because of the setting and whatnot, point still stands.
There's certainly a more cartoony look in RAGE that makes the faces more varied. I was most impressed by the hermit and his little shoulder robot, the animation gave me strong Valve/Pixar vibes.

The amount of animations is what most impresses me. Watching the enemies track you across the field of play, or the sentry bots pounce on their victims is tremendously entertaining.

Wallach

plagiarize said:
if I'm ID, and AMD have released the wrong drivers, in response to the complaints I'm checking those drivers before I tweet 'Make sure you have the latest drivers!'.

hell, I'm testing them BEFORE the game comes out, Monday night, since I can, and I'm getting on the phone with AMD asap to get them to sort that shit.

but it isn't just the drivers. even with them, people were still faced with sub par graphics that only needed a simple cfg file to fix.

The drivers worked, though. That's my point; when AMD re-compiled the drivers they fixed the problem, which is why Carmack sent that tweet. Even though he wasn't actually at work at the time, I'm sure he knew already that they needed those drivers. The part that broke down is the final package compile, and I don't know if id ever would have seen that until we did.

id is totally responsible for the other stuff you're talking about as far as their stupid auto-adjustment stuff not being up to par and needing manual edits.

pakkit said:
I haven't played either of those games, so I can't really compare. But from everything I've played so far, RAGE is the best.

This game is SO good.

MrBig

Derrick01 said:
I've got about 6 hours in now and I just kind of like it. The shooting feels great but the rest of the gameplay is just...meh. That's the best way I can describe it really, the quests and racing stuff have been about as basic as you can get with no signs of even slightly improving in depth. I'm hoping something else comes along soon that will rejuvenate my interest in the game.
The Authority helped in this regard if you haven't been introduced to them yet.

Derrick01

Banned
MrBig said:
The Authority helped in this regard if you haven't been introduced to them yet.

I hope so. I'm still kind of messing around in the first town doing whatever I find. That knife game was damn tough on the last round, took me like 4 tries.

Just played for about an hour on 360, and I'm liking it a lot. This is actually my first id game

gravijah said:
installing the ps3 version. taking fooooooooreeeeeeeever i just wanna play ;(

I wonder what's faster: Installing all 3 discs on 360 or installing the one disc on PS3 lol

Special J

Banned
its just awesome how id can still be so unconvential with their tech and blow everyone out of the water. animation/rendering/framerate

Derrick01 said:
I hope so. I'm still kind of messing around in the first town doing whatever I find. That knife game was damn tough on the last round, took me like 4 tries.
to be honest, i couldn't do the first round. after a couple of tries i went off to do something else.

~Kinggi~

Banned
T Ghost said:
I installed all 3 DVDs on the Xbox 360's HDD but the game refuses to run from the HD.

Anyone having the same issue?
I had the issue that when i launched the game my dvd drive was spinning like it was loading. After about 5 minutes the dvd drive seems to stop altogether and i dont hear it react at all to stuff i do in the game, so i assume it is running from the harddrive.

kamspy

Zefah said:

Is it possible that id just saw it as a limitation of the AMD cards? You know Carmack's famous quote about drivers.

Just got to the well. Holy fuck I love this game. I can't get enough of the combat. I almost with they went full Painkiller and made it a pure shoot em up.

Also, I'm using Angular's config. Took my vRAM usage up to 800MB plus when before it was only around 500MB.

codhand

Anyone mind explaining how to get the 360 controller going on Rage? The game is recognizing it, Rage settings has it "enabled" and Windows 7 auto-installed the driver fine...still nothing, sorry, never used 360 controller on PC before....

LocoMrPollock said:
So aside from the tech issues, how is the game?

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I was really absorbed in the world, the gunplay is so damn satisfying, and there's some really awesome side weapons that are fun to use. Wingstick, for example.

Wallach

kamspy said:
Is it possible that id just saw it as a limitation of the AMD cards? You know Carmack's famous quote about drivers.

Unlikely. Both the min and recommended spec list AMD cards that are significantly less powerful than the nvidia ones. Whenever they made those specs the game was obviously performing better on AMD's hardware. I'd like to know how where that went wrong.

burgerdog

codhand said:
Anyone mind explaining how to get the 360 controller going on Rage? The game is recognizing it, Rage settings has it "enabled" and Windows 7 auto-installed the driver fine...still nothing, sorry, never used 360 controller on PC before....

You have to enable it in-game, check the options.

kamspy

codhand said:

Are you playing on a wired pad or wireless? Also, note that play and charge wire kits do not work on PC. It has to be a regular wired pad.

codhand

kamspy said:
Are you playing on a wired pad or wireless? Also, note that play and charge wire kits do not work on PC. It has to be a regular wired pad.

Yep, that's my problem, it's charge and play, thanks!

codhand said:
Yep, that's my problem, it's charge and play, thanks!
eurgh that again? PC devs need to sort that out. Dead rising 2 was the same at launch.

Edit: disregard. Thought people were saying wireless pads didn't work.

How do you switch between weapons on your car? I used tickets to buy BOTh the missle launcher and machine gun for my car. I can see that I have ammo for both the missle launcher and mini-guns in the garage. I can't seem to find an option to swap out one for the other. The control settings menu says mouse wheel down but when I try to scroll down it just makes some small noise and I can only use the missle launcher.

What am I missing here.

jaundicejuice said:
How do you switch between weapons on your car? I used tickets to buy BOTh the missle launcher and machine gun for my car. I can see that I have ammo for both the missle launcher and mini-guns in the garage. I can't seem to find an option to swap out one for the other. The control settings menu says mouse wheel down but when I try to scroll down it just makes some small noise and I can only use the missle launcher.

What am I missing here.
The first car can only have one weapon mounted at a time. You'll get others later that can do both. You can switch them in the garage.

Sysgen said:
Bethesda knew the correct drivers weren't available or someone at Bethesda didn't do their job. If you then want to argue incompetence or apathy that's your choice.

If they were smart they would of held the PC version back a few days and let everyone rave about the 360 version. I could just imagine the fervor and anticipation on the PC side.

You assume every PC gamer is running the same version of drivers for their graphics cards? We both know that PC gamers all run different drivers either modded or unapproved versions or even beta drivers.

Top Bottom