• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

kamspy

Chiggs said:
Dead City is when this game really takes off. Those fucking mutants are awesome!

Yeah, I really can't get enough of the combat. I can't even be bothered to explore because every moment I spend in the game I want to be shooting mutants up and throwing my blade. Once you learn how to bank the blade, you've made it. Feels good man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Chiggs said:
Dead City is when this game really takes off. Those fucking mutants are awesome!

I loved the boss battle. So old school.

Stallion Free said:
Id's still got it. Just played the first two hours and enjoyed every second of it. It also has me really hyped for Doom 4 now.

Doom 4 is going to be amazing. A classic id run-and-gun through dozens of demons at a time? Yes, please. That said, I hope the game skips this generation of consoles.

JohngPR

Made it to Wellsprings and I'm really liking it so far.

Yes, there's pop in, but I'm to the point now that I hardly notice it.

It's nothing revolutionary (outside of the tech behind it) but it has really good shooting mechanics and some of the better shooting reactions from the AI I've seen in a game.

My favorite was shooting a guy that was running fulls speed towards me and since he was still running toward me because of momentum, he slammed head first into the wall, LOL. You can also wound guys, causing them to drag themselves to cover and hunker down to still try to shoot at you wounded.

The comparisons to Borderlands are very wrong....it doesn't have any of the things that makes Borderlands, Borderlands.

If anything, it's like a bizarro Fallout where all the things that Fallout does horribly Rage does fantastically and most of the stuff that Fallout does well, Rage either does but not as well, or doesn't do at all (there's no encumbrance, leveling up, or XP...it's more of a pure shooter)....you can craft items though.

It's really impressive that this game runs at 60fps and it looks as good as it does. The textures don't look too hot if you get right up on them, but overall the visuals are fantastic and there isn't a game of this scale (it's not open world per se but the the areas are massive so it might as well be) that runs at 60fps on consoles.

pix

This game is just.... so fucking engrossing. The combat is damn good. Looks and runs like a dream on my rig. The character models are top notch, and they really pull you into the world.

JohngPR

cleveridea said:
ooh I was right not to sell any feltrite (for 6 apiece LOL)

someone wants them and gives a reward better than money

That's good to hear! I went back a save because I instantly regretted selling them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JohngPR said:
That's good to hear! I went back a save because I instantly regretted selling them.

Whatshisface at the Hagar settlement tells you to only trade the Feltrite for something you particularly want. Given its poor monetary value, it's quite obvious he's referring to an item. :p

Holy extra blah .

Jackal Canyon
is one of the worst levels I've ever played. Its just wave after wave of bullet sponges along narrow pathways. Then is gets even worse when the "snipers" come out.

I think the game is creatively bankrupt at this point. A thought I keep having is "would I keep playing this if the graphics weren't so hot", and to be honest, no I wouldn't.

Oh well, the first 70% of the game was pretty good.

JohngPR

JaseC said:
Whatshisface at the Hagar settlement tells you to only trade the Feltrite for something you particularly want. Given its poor monetary value, it's quite obvious he's referring to an item. :p

I didn't talk to him before I sold it. Honestly I was just going through my stuff and selling anything that had a dollar sign figure without thinking about it then. Then I thought to myself "Shit, I just sold those crystals!".

Then I reloaded a save and didn't sell it and talked to whathisface and then he said not to sell them. Dodged a bullet there.

:p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Running around Wellspring and I'm getting that damn NPC flicker issue that others have reported :(. Oh well...

Man if this game doesn't have the lowest res environment textures of any game this generation. It's weird that it's both one of the nicest looking games and one of the worst looking games out there.

Is anyone else taking their sweet time through the game for the most part? Like for example earlier i took a stroll outside of Wellspring by foot with my newly bought VIPER rockets and it was a blast not nitro'ing my way past the scenery in the buggies. It was fun being able to watch my rockets act like a stinger missile on enemy buggies and setting myself with a great kill shot on guys in Turret towers, so relaxing and fun :).

i started this tonight on the ps3, played for a few minutes then went back to dark souls after seeing the graphics.

i am very disappointed with Id here. i can't believe a company i've always expected nice things from an engine really dropped the ball here

the texture streaming is SO fucking bad. WTF?!

i want to know the story with this, it's unforgiveable. i don't even want to play the game now. i can't even believe someone like carmack would see this being played and not flip the fuck out.

a serious sign of the times for me.

quinntendopower said:
i started this tonight on the ps3, played for a few minutes then went back to dark souls after seeing the graphics.

i am very disappointed with Id here. i can't believe a company i've always expected nice things from an engine really dropped the ball here

i want to know the story with this, it's unforgiveable. i don't even want to play the game now. i can't even believe someone like carmack would see this being played and not flip the fuck out.

^^^Blind!

Darksouls is awefull graphically.

i'm not playing dark souls for graphics, even though they are incredible on an artistic level. it's a game play game i'll leave it at that

rage looks pretty nice otherwise, and 60 is great. but dat texture issue really is too much for me to bother with for now.

at least you don't come off as a fanboy or anything...

i've been playing the Id stuff since the beginning, and have grown to respect carmack on a HUGE level. to see this is disappointing and i know he has to feel the same way about it.

Salsa

quinntendopower said:

been heavily reported that the texture loading does annoy during the first couple of minutes on PS3 because of the area and whatnot. Keep playing and it gets better/you wont notice.

i definitely plan on playing it once i get souls out of my blood.

the day i don't give Id a full chance... again, i have so much respect for those guys. i'm sure the shooting mechanics are great. i already liked the weight and motion of the characters movement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, sewers leading to the Dead City are just plain ugly. Nasty fucking textures even from far away and terribly low res sprites for foliage. Is this just the auto detect thing giving me bad textures? I have the config file set to 8192, but this is ugly as sin. Is it the same for everyone?

nacire said:
Anyone catch this easter egg? Love it!

breakingbaduu4w.jpg

Lmao. That's awesome.

Lolerzors

WickedLaharl said:
I don't think I can play this. Even with the sensitivity settings cranked all the way up the turning speed is way too fucking slow.

Haha I'm the opposite of you. I turned the mouse sensitivity all the way down and its still slightly too high. Now the mouse movement in menus is wierd and sometimes unresponsive. Anyone know a fix for it though?

Gravijah

SalsaShark said:
been heavily reported that the texture loading does annoy during the first couple of minutes on PS3 because of the area and whatnot. Keep playing and it gets better/you wont notice.

yeah i stopped noticing it after a bit of play. need to play more later.

People have been finding the Wolf3D room right?

Also, anyone noticed that the Y button is actually the Quake symbol? Switched to controller config 2 (Y is use), so no i'm constantly greeted with it! (^___^)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna stop for the night somewhere in the Dead City. Not really enjoying this part of the game.

- Ugliest textures this side of the year 2000. I can't believe this is in a shipped flagship 2011 title.
- Mutants aren't very fun to fight and their corpses just dissolve into a really ugly sprite.
- Big boss guys are just huge bullet sponges.
- Invisible walls galore. Lame.

It's wearing off now that im in Wellspring, but does the game remind anyone of Dark Forces at all? I know this is an absolutely strange comparison, and I don't even know how to explain it... but something about the early parts of Rage totally reminds me of that game.

Fjordson

LocoMrPollock said:
So aside from the tech issues, how is the game?
Playing on 360 so I can't speak to all the driver issues and whatnot, but I like it a lot. The gunplay is really fun and I love the way it looks. Especially the towns and characters. So much detail. Very cool.

Only thing that feels lacking for me is the story. I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic anything (games, books, movies, whatever) but Rage's fiction isn't really grabbing me. Though I don't really play id games for masterful storytelling, so it's not a deal breaker.

Daigoro

game seems somewhat polaizing so far. some people seem to think its super fun and some say its boring.

is there multiplayer? is it any good? what modes does it have?

Rage gets pretty rad when you play through the Mayor and Sheriff missions in Wellspring and get to the Shrouded gang and Dead City missions. Wasn't too sure of what to think of the game when I first started playing it but I've been steadily enjoying Rage the further I've gotten. Initially the gunplay and combat were really satisfying but nothing ratcheted on to those things was all that compelling. Play for an hour here and there but nothing was driving me to play more. The pace started to pick up once you get more of the preliminary gear, go beyond the Hagar Settlement and get to Wellspring. Postal delivery racing mini-games, the job board, the race track, bash tv, random missions citizens can give you all supplement the missions that the sheriff and mayor provide, which are getting better and better as you progress.

It's gotten to the point where I had to stop myself from taking another mission, gotta go to bed.

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you access armour? I got an armour upgrade from a quest and special armour from the Anarchy Edition yet I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Top Bottom